Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

polian

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruh...

Somewhat related, Polian was just on the ESPN pregame show, and he starts lamenting how the Colts have no homegrown defensive talent. LOL. Grigson traded away Jerry Hughes, but other than that, there was nothing here when Polian left. It's partly Polian's fault.

So, to answer the question, no, the Colts shouldn't consider bringing back Polian.

Colts could certainly do a lot worse. He drafted Freeney, Bob Sanders and Mathis on defense. That's 3 star caliber impact players on defense. He also put a decent OLine around Manning for most of his career. Griggs pales in comparison.

True, but Polian rarely went to FA or Trades. Polian has accomplished more, of course, but Grigs is definitely more aggressive 

Polian was a good football GM for a while, but towards the end he made a lot of lousy draft picks and busied himself with installing his incompetent son 'Chrissy' solidly into the Colts org.

The latter part solves the former.  The reason why we started having bad drafts, if the reports are true, is that Chris was taking more of a role and Bill was stepping aside.  I think Bill can still evaluate talent.  He sometimes says some really stupid things (like how he claimed to have had a first round grade on Brady), but he can still evaluate talent (OL aside)

Colts could certainly do a lot worse. He drafted Freeney, Bob Sanders and Mathis on defense. That's 3 star caliber impact players on defense. He also put a decent OLine around Manning for most of his career. Griggs pales in comparison.

Agree. Polian is a HOF GM for a reason. He completely resurrected the franchise, delivered 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 championship, and a decade of winning football. But for the haters, that's not enough. His downfall was putting his son Chris in charge.

Bruh...

Somewhat related, Polian was just on the ESPN pregame show, and he starts lamenting how the Colts have no homegrown defensive talent. LOL. Grigson traded away Jerry Hughes, but other than that, there was nothing here when Polian left. It's partly Polian's fault.

So, to answer the question, no, the Colts shouldn't consider bringing back Polian.

A lot of the "homegrown talent" was pretty much thrown away, though, and not re-signed. The Polian players that were retained, were probably the best players on this roster; E.g. Mathis, Wayne, McAfee.

A lot of the "homegrown talent" was pretty much thrown away, though, and not re-signed. The Polian players that were retained, were probably the best players on this roster; E.g. Mathis, Wayne, McAfee.

There was very little homegrown talent. Homegrown, sure, but not talent.

Agree. Polian is a HOF GM for a reason. He completely resurrected the franchise, delivered 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 championship, and a decade of winning football. But for the haters, that's not enough. His downfall was putting his son Chris in charge.

He climbed on Manning's back and road him into the ground.

Bill's decline coincided with his son's rise in power. The elder Polian seemed to lose his drive and as a result his reliance on Chris' analysis grew. This is why the cupboard was bare.

It's important to note that Irsay chose Ryan over Chris, not Bill. Now if Bill actually considers returning then I'm almost certain it will be a package deal. That's a deal breaker. Personally I like Ryan over Chris.

Very flawed 11-5 season's and it's starting to show now

I said it numerous times on this forum over the past three years. When watching this team, I had no clue how they were winning 11 games a year. It's a bad team with even worse coaching. If Luck isn't playing at an elite level, this team is no better than Jacksonville, and in 2015, it's showing.

Bruh...

His only meaningful parting gift was Anthony Castonzo. Besides that he left no young talented players at any positions.

Bruh...

I'll jump in here since the thread is starting to go OT about Chris.

Polian also said in the pregame that the biggest problem with the Colts (a shot to GM Grigson no surprise) that the Colts lack consistency on the roster for what they want to do. No symbiosis. They have a franchise QB that they want to build around that they need to protect, and give him WRs and TEs, but they want a power man run blocking scheme.

I'm not an Oline xs and Os guy, but what he said makes sense to me. IMO, power man running requires powerful Olineman, whereas pass protection requires more athletic line man. Athletic lineman tend to block in a ZBS. The idea of having a franchise QB with weapons and a power man scheme has always seemed inconsistent to me, so I was glad to here it from somebody who has stature in the NFL.

Of course, our Olineman can neither run block or pass block, but that's beside the point.

Grigson has been doing a fine job of building the team. Sure there are whiffs in FA, but you miss a few, it happens.

People seem to forget it's year 4 of a rebuild, and that winning so many games early in Luck's career didn't allow us to rebuild from the ground up, instead getting caught between a win now and rebuild mentality.

This season is a wake up call and I'm glad that it's showing our glaring weaknesses, instead of Luck masking everything again. 

Our O-Line is above average, but could use an upgrade at 1-2 spots.

Defense has been solid - made to look terrible by our inept offense - but again, has average/ above average talent - they could definitely use an upgrade in the pass rush department and get some young studs.

On another note, I feel like out of about 12 picks this year, 8 of them were aimed at TY. I'd just feel better if TY wasn't the first read on 90% of passing plays, but what do I know.

The latter part solves the former.  The reason why we started having bad drafts, if the reports are true, is that Chris was taking more of a role and Bill was stepping aside.  I think Bill can still evaluate talent.  He sometimes says some really stupid things (like how he claimed to have had a first round grade on Brady), but he can still evaluate talent (OL aside)

I agree completely with your post.  I just wanted to comment that Chris taking over was not a report, it was official, they even announced it when Chris Polian took over as VP and General manager in 2009.

I'll jump in here since the thread is starting to go OT about Chris.

Polian also said in the pregame that the biggest problem with the Colts (a shot to GM Grigson no surprise) that the Colts lack consistency on the roster for what they want to do. No symbiosis. They have a franchise QB that they want to build around that they need to protect, and give him WRs and TEs, but they want a power man run blocking scheme.

I'm not an Oline xs and Os guy, but what he said makes sense to me. IMO, power man running requires powerful Olineman, whereas pass protection requires more athletic line man. Athletic lineman tend to block in a ZBS. The idea of having a franchise QB with weapons and a power man scheme has always seemed inconsistent to me, so I was glad to here it from somebody who has stature in the NFL.

Of course, our Olineman can neither run block or pass block, but that's beside the point.

We were a power blocking team under Arians and Arians had no problem with it. Everyone knows he loves to pass the football more than anyone else  He drafts those types of linemen and so do teams like San Diego who love to run the football but yet have a franchise quarterback.  Whether it's man or zone it makes no difference, you can be successful with both styles assuming you've schemed things properly as far as play design, play calling, xs and os.  My biggest thing is if you want to power block and knock people off their spot you need to follow that up with a strong play action passing system that helps to create natural separation.  We have FAILED MISERABLY to implement this and it's just ridiculous.  To me that is the best way to protect the quarterback along with a strong reliance on high percentage passing. Implement those two things ****consistently**** and this offense will take off.  The quarterback will be protected more times than not.  The other guerilla in the room is Poor Execution and that is just as big a killer as the other issue.

If I were the owner I would be willing to give Grigson a couple more years at least.  Let's face it.  For the most part the D has been playing well enough to keep the Colts in the game... but the O just keeps turning it over and a lot of that is on Luck.  Even with that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that will claim drafting Luck was a bad move for a GM.

We were a power blocking team under Arians and Arians had no problem with it. Everyone knows he loves to pass the football more than anyone else  He drafts those types of linemen and so do teams like San Diego who love to run the football but yet have a franchise quarterback.  Whether it's man or zone it makes no difference, you can be successful with both styles assuming you've schemed things properly as far as play design, play calling, xs and os.  My biggest thing is if you want to power block and knock people off their spot you need to follow that up with a strong play action passing system that helps to create natural separation.  We have FAILED MISERABLY to implement this and it's just ridiculous.  To me that is the best way to protect the quarterback along with a strong reliance on high percentage passing. Implement those two things ****consistently**** and this offense will take off.  The quarterback will be protected more times than not.  The other guerilla in the room is Poor Execution and that is just as big a killer as the other issue.

But I think Arians gets his QBs beat up, not that his system doesn't score points and win games.  I think the idea of drafting a franchise QB is that you don't then put him into an offense that will get him beat up.

It seems as if the Colts have drafted the QB and all of the weapons, but not the olineman who have stronger pass blocking skills than run blocking skills.  I think that was Polian's point, and why the running game played second fiddle to the passing game during his era.  You had to pick which area the offense has to be weaker at, so you sacrifice the running game to emphasize the passing game when you decide to build around the frnachise QB.  If you decide to build around Trent Dilfer or Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson or Cam Newton, you draft with a different symbiosis.

Yeah, sure, everybody wants 330 pound lineman who can move laterally, but there is only so much money and draft picks to spend on the 53 man roster.