Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

polian

OLD FAN MAN

Agree. Polian is a HOF GM for a reason. He completely resurrected the franchise, delivered 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 championship, and a decade of winning football. But for the haters, that's not enough. His downfall was putting his son Chris in charge.

His downfall was not admitting mistakes and then defending the mistakes

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The play action thing is really boiling my blood though.  How do you have years and years of film on Peyton Manning beating people into submission with play action passing and then the light bulb doesn't come on enough for you to say "Hmm Maybe We Should Do That!"  It's really killing me.

I'll jump in here since the thread is starting to go OT about Chris.

Polian also said in the pregame that the biggest problem with the Colts (a shot to GM Grigson no surprise) that the Colts lack consistency on the roster for what they want to do. No symbiosis. They have a franchise QB that they want to build around that they need to protect, and give him WRs and TEs, but they want a power man run blocking scheme.

I'm not an Oline xs and Os guy, but what he said makes sense to me. IMO, power man running requires powerful Olineman, whereas pass protection requires more athletic line man. Athletic lineman tend to block in a ZBS. The idea of having a franchise QB with weapons and a power man scheme has always seemed inconsistent to me, so I was glad to here it from somebody who has stature in the NFL.

Of course, our Olineman can neither run block or pass block, but that's beside the point.

The idea that a power blocking OL can't protect is a fallacy from the start. Not to mention that our OL is performing adequately. I completely disagreed with what Polian said, it made no sense IMO.

The idea that a power blocking OL can't protect is a fallacy from the start. Not to mention that our OL is performing adequately. I completely disagreed with what Polian said, it made no sense IMO.

But I think that trying to run a power man scheme with 295 pound olineman is problematic.  It works best with 330 pound olineman, but they tend to not move sideways as well.  You can find them, but you wouldn't have much money or high draft picks left for pass rushers and CBs.

But I think that trying to run a power man scheme with 295 pound olineman is problematic.  It works best with 330 pound olineman, but they tend to not move sideways as well.  You can find them, but you wouldn't have much money or high draft picks left for pass rushers and CBs.

Our worst pass protectors have been AC (at times) and Holmes. Both athletic linemen who move laterally just fine, and neither of them are 330. Hugh Thornton is bigger than both of them, and he has the best movement skills of any of our linemen. Herremans came from a ZBS, and he just doesn't have the movement skills he used to. Theoretically, he'd be better here now, but he's too stiff and upright to play interior line.

The issues in pass protection right now stem mostly from poor play calling and the QB holding the ball too long. Not the shape and size of the linemen.

I'd be fine with moving to a ZBS. AC would be fine, Thornton would be fine, Mewhort might be an issue but he can move to the second level well enough, Holmes can move, Reitz can move. And moving forward, it's a little easier to find ZBS linemen than MBS linemen. I don't have a problem with a scheme change, I just don't buy the idea that MBS lends itself to poor protection. 

The whole idea behind being able to run the ball better is to take burden/pressure off the QB. The issue in protection right now is mostly play calling and QB execution, not the configuration of the line. Doesn't mean that line can't be better, though.

Our worst pass protectors have been AC (at times) and Holmes. Both athletic linemen who move laterally just fine, and neither of them are 330. Hugh Thornton is bigger than both of them, and he has the best movement skills of any of our linemen. Herremans came from a ZBS, and he just doesn't have the movement skills he used to. Theoretically, he'd be better here now, but he's too stiff and upright to play interior line.

The issues in pass protection right now stem mostly from poor play calling and the QB holding the ball too long. Not the shape and size of the linemen.

I'd be fine with moving to a ZBS. AC would be fine, Thornton would be fine, Mewhort might be an issue but he can move to the second level well enough, Holmes can move, Reitz can move. And moving forward, it's a little easier to find ZBS linemen than MBS linemen. I don't have a problem with a scheme change, I just don't buy the idea that MBS lends itself to poor protection. 

The whole idea behind being able to run the ball better is to take burden/pressure off the QB. The issue in protection right now is mostly play calling and QB execution, not the configuration of the line. Doesn't mean that line can't be better, though.

Polian's comment about the oline was an example, but the broader point of symbiosis struck me as the problem.  

I don't think Luck was ever cut out to be a 7 step pocket passer.  I think that he would flourish in a Gary Kubiak style of offense.  That's a ZBS.

I think on defense, the idea of a man to man CB system is better than the Dungy/Polian zone crap.  And my eyes have been opened this year to the successful changeover from a fatty hold your ground dline to a more disruptive one...so I like what we do as a philosophy on defense, and the Colts have done a great job in acquiring to players to fit that philosophy.  There now needs to be upgrades to the LB position.

I don't think the offense is set up as well.  If you are going to center your O around the best QB prospect since Elway, then you need to have a system that plays to his best skills, then acquire the pieces necessary to execute that, including coaches.  I think the symbiosis issue goes beyond Polian's comment about the oline, but is right on the money IMO

Polian's comment about the oline was an example, but the broader point of symbiosis struck me as the problem.  

I don't think Luck was ever cut out to be a 7 step pocket passer.  I think that he would flourish in a Gary Kubiak style of offense.  That's a ZBS.

I think on defense, the idea of a man to man CB system is better than the Dungy/Polian zone crap.  And my eyes have been opened this year to the successful changeover from a fatty hold your ground dline to a more disruptive one...so I like what we do as a philosophy on defense, and the Colts have done a great job in acquiring to players to fit that philosophy.  There now needs to be upgrades to the LB position.

I don't think the offense is set up as well.  If you are going to center your O around the best QB prospect since Elway, then you need to have a system that plays to his best skills, then acquire the pieces necessary to execute that, including coaches.  I think the symbiosis issue goes beyond Polian's comment about the oline, but is right on the money IMO

The Colts have paid lip service to an offense that favors Luck's strengths, but haven't put it into practice. As much as I disliked Arians' offense, he at least was able to consistently squeeze playmaking out of Luck and the offense, and that's with a far worse OL. Right now, between Luck missing easy throws (like the Dwayne Allen overthrow on the first pick, for instance), and a total lack of rhythm building pass concepts early in the game -- play action, screens, hot routes, Y Banana, etc. -- the offense doesn't resemble anything that this staff has talked about. 

To me, they need to speed things up all the way around. Play with a sense of urgency. Get Luck on the move early with some bootlegs (you don't know how many times I asked for a bootleg last night; anyone in chat can tell you). Manufacture some high percentage opportunities. Go uptempo. You can run everything Kubiak runs without a ZBS, it's just a backside pulling guard instead of a full line shift on bootlegs, and we run that exact same scheme when we use counter plays (like the Eagles game last year). 

It starts with coaching. Luck's struggles are what they are, but when he can gut out a comeback like he did last night, it's obvious that he hasn't just totally lost it, and it's obvious that to whatever extent he is/was injured, it's not preventing him from making big plays. 

Symbiosis is great, but this same scheme with inferior personnel was third in total offense last year. Starts with play callling, IMO.

The Colts have paid lip service to an offense that favors Luck's strengths, but haven't put it into practice. As much as I disliked Arians' offense, he at least was able to consistently squeeze playmaking out of Luck and the offense, and that's with a far worse OL. Right now, between Luck missing easy throws (like the Dwayne Allen overthrow on the first pick, for instance), and a total lack of rhythm building pass concepts early in the game -- play action, screens, hot routes, Y Banana, etc. -- the offense doesn't resemble anything that this staff has talked about. 

To me, they need to speed things up all the way around. Play with a sense of urgency. Get Luck on the move early with some bootlegs (you don't know how many times I asked for a bootleg last night; anyone in chat can tell you). Manufacture some high percentage opportunities. Go uptempo. You can run everything Kubiak runs without a ZBS, it's just a backside pulling guard instead of a full line shift on bootlegs, and we run that exact same scheme when we use counter plays (like the Eagles game last year). 

It starts with coaching. Luck's struggles are what they are, but when he can gut out a comeback like he did last night, it's obvious that he hasn't just totally lost it, and it's obvious that to whatever extent he is/was injured, it's not preventing him from making big plays. 

Symbiosis is great, but this same scheme with inferior personnel was third in total offense last year. Starts with play callling, IMO.

The structure of the offense is much like how it was during the Manning years.  Lots of talent on the edges and the seam for the vertical game (back when Manning had arm), good LT, but plug-n-play everywhere else.  The offense is set up for the Arians/Manning /Moore style of vertical passing plays.

But how many times did the Manning offense score points, especially TDs, on the FIRST drive of the game?  I remember often the Colts being up 7-0 before the opponent touched the football. 

Its been completely different under Luck.  Almost exactly the same talent level at the same positions but a remarkably different outcome in the first halves...going on three years now.  That has to do with coaching, and it has to do with Luck himself.  I don't know if Luck has that go for the jugular type of mentality from the opening whistle like Manning had, and Pep Hamilton is no Tom Moore.  They simply cannot execute that type of O, IMO, against playoff caliber defenses.  The offense needs to adjust to Luck's skills, and I think the shiny players on the outside like Monciref and Dorsett can play effectively in the short game if given that philosophy change.  

The structure of the offense is much like how it was during the Manning years.  Lots of talent on the edges and the seam for the vertical game (back when Manning had arm), good LT, but plug-n-play everywhere else.  The offense is set up for the Arians/Manning /Moore style of vertical passing plays.

But how many times did the Manning offense score points, especially TDs, on the FIRST drive of the game?  I remember often the Colts being up 7-0 before the opponent touched the football. 

Its been completely different under Luck.  Almost exactly the same talent level at the same positions but a remarkably different outcome in the first halves...going on three years now.  That has to do with coaching, and it has to do with Luck himself.  I don't know if Luck has that go for the jugular type of mentality from the opening whistle like Manning had, and Pep Hamilton is no Tom Moore.  They simply cannot execute that type of O, IMO.  The offense needs to adjust to Luck's skills, and I think the shiny players on the outside like Monciref and Dorsett can play effectively in the short game if given that philosophy change.  

Long and short, take the playsheet from Pep.

I said it numerous times on this forum over the past three years. When watching this team, I had no clue how they were winning 11 games a year. It's a bad team with even worse coaching. If Luck isn't playing at an elite level, this team is no better than Jacksonville, and in 2015, it's showing.

Luck covered up a lot of flaw's up until this point if we where not in the AFC south I don't even want to guess what our record would have been :facepalm:

I totally agree. The Colts have been over achieving since Grigson. Pagano and Luck arrived here. Now it's time to step back and punt so to say. Now we all wait to see what Irsay has in mind.

Yes agreed I never liked either Grigson or Pagano Irsay took a chance now he must correct it the sooner the better

So Jim Kelly is not a HOF QB?

Oh, that's right. (Sorry, that pre-dates my football knowledge a bit.) Still, I think it's hard to make case that Polian's did nothing but "ride Peyton into the ground." He drafted Peyton at a time when it was very much unclear who would be the better QB, him or Leaf. He deserves credit for that. Had he drafted Leaf, you'd probably be saying he sucks because he didn't draft Peyton. Polian's eye for talent and roster building is in dispute by only a fringe group of outliers. Pretty much everyone else, particularly those whose opinions matter--not that yours doesn't-- think he's a HOF talent. And he is.

Oh, that's right. (Sorry, that pre-dates my football knowledge a bit.) Still, I think it's hard to make case that Polian's did nothing but "ride Peyton into the ground." He drafted Peyton at a time when it was very much unclear who would be the better QB, him or Leaf. He deserves credit for that. Had he drafted Leaf, you'd probably be saying he sucks because he didn't draft Peyton. Polian's eye for talent and roster building is in dispute by only a fringe group of outliers. Pretty much everyone else, particularly those whose opinions matter--not that yours doesn't-- think he's a HOF talent. And he is.

So in 14 years, how many teams did Manning have where he had a total team around him? How many playoffs were lost due to the fact the Colts were not good enough? Manning might have been considered the GOAT if would have had a team that he didn't have to carry. I did have the breakdown of the playoffs but I cant seem to find it now. I think it was 85% of the Colts playoffs losses came when the Colts had a lead or had a chance to win but didn't because of poor defense or poor special teams play. That fell on Polian. Now everyone wants Grigson fired but yet Gigsons records after 3 1/2 years are better than Polians were with the Colts. It was Polian who had the great experience before being hired by the Colts and Grigson had zero.

So in 14 years, how many teams did Manning have where he had a total team around him? How many playoffs were lost due to the fact the Colts were not good enough? Manning might have been considered the GOAT if would have had a team that he didn't have to carry. I did have the breakdown of the playoffs but I cant seem to find it now. I think it was 85% of the Colts playoffs losses came when the Colts had a lead or had a chance to win but didn't because of poor defense or poor special teams play. That fell on Polian. Now everyone wants Grigson fired but yet Gigsons records after 3 1/2 years are better than Polians were with the Colts. It was Polian who had the great experience before being hired by the Colts and Grigson had zero.

The Colts success under Grigson has more to do with the poor quality of competition in the AFC South than anything else. The greatly skewed numbers (win totals) in-division versus outside the division support this. And the most devastating Colts losses during the Manning years involved the vaunted Colts offense getting shut down by an opponent's championship-caliber defense. 

The Colts success under Grigson has more to do with the poor quality of competition in the AFC South than anything else. The greatly skewed numbers (win totals) in-division versus outside the division support this. And the most devastating Colts losses during the Manning years involved the vaunted Colts offense getting shut down by an opponent's championship-caliber defense. 

In division wins had zero to do with the playoff wins in the last two seasons. Total wins yes but not playoff games. The win over the Chiefs in 2013 and the wins over the Bengals and Broncos in 2014 were not division games. If you are going to bring up the Colts divisions wins as a plus for Grigson then why don't it apply to Polian and the Manning era? For the most part Mannings playoff losses came after the Colts had a lead going into the 4th quarter or taking a lead in the 4th quarter. Then the poor defense couldn't hold or the special teams would always give up huge plays to give great field position to the other teams. We lost quite a few games on late field goals or TDs giving up at the end of the games. My question is if Grigson is looked down upon and some want him fired but in the bigger picture his record is better that Polians was in his 4th year with the Colts. It took Manning how long to reach a AFC championship game? Polian had a much longer leash than Grigson has ever had. Like or dislike Grigson or Polian their records speak for themselves. Polian won a lot of playoff games but his record in winning the big games is pretty bad.

Colts could certainly do a lot worse. He drafted Freeney, Bob Sanders and Mathis on defense. That's 3 star caliber impact players on defense. He also put a decent OLine around Manning for most of his career. Griggs pales in comparison.

Polian was a very good GM, who made some excellent draft picks for the Colts and built the best Colts team we have ever seen and probably ever will.  But his son was not the same and he became very hard to deal with in those years.  Besides, can't see Polian being a GM again at his age and I think he lost his touch in his last few years. 

Polian was a very good GM, who made some excellent draft picks for the Colts and built the best Colts team we have ever seen and probably ever will. But his son was not the same and he became very hard to deal with in those years. Besides, can't see Polian being a GM again at his age and I think he lost his touch in his last few years.

I agree regarding his son Chris. He had no business having the influence that he did. That was Bill's undoing in my opinion. I think Polian still has a sharp enough football mind to GM for someone if he was inclined to do so. Even at his worse he is better than Griggs. At least he stays in his lane and let's the coaches coach. Bill has nothing left to prove and I think he is enjoying his role at ESPN.

Bruh...

Somewhat related, Polian was just on the ESPN pregame show, and he starts lamenting how the Colts have no homegrown defensive talent. LOL. Grigson traded away Jerry Hughes, but other than that, there was nothing here when Polian left. It's partly Polian's fault.

So, to answer the question, no, the Colts shouldn't consider bringing back Polian.

eh maybe kind of...This is year 4 for Grigson and yet he has not starters on his defense that he drafted other than the two rookie DL. So, in 3 previous drafts Grigson has failed to produce any starters on defense. That is a problem. He's made some good acquisitions with Davis, Adams, Freeman, Jackson etc but outside of Parry and Anderson none of his draft picks on defense have done much.

But yes, NO BILL POLIAN

eh maybe kind of...This is year 4 for Grigson and yet he has not starters on his defense that he drafted other than the two rookie DL. So, in 3 previous drafts Grigson has failed to produce any starters on defense. That is a problem. He's made some good acquisitions with Davis, Adams, Freeman, Jackson etc but outside of Parry and Anderson none of his draft picks on defense have done much.

But yes, NO BILL POLIAN

He hasn't drafted very many defensive players, period. He's added defensive players in free agency. He also added Vontae Davis with a draft pick.

My point is simple, though. For Polian to decry the lack of homegrown defensive talent is the ultimate irony. There was practically no homegrown defensive talent on either side of the ball when Grigson took over. Now we have some, it's just overwhelmingly on the offense. Grigson hasn't done the best he could have done, but he also took over a bad roster, and that's on Polian.

In division wins had zero to do with the playoff wins in the last two seasons. Total wins yes but not playoff games. The win over the Chiefs in 2013 and the wins over the Bengals and Broncos in 2014 were not division games. If you are going to bring up the Colts divisions wins as a plus for Grigson then why don't it apply to Polian and the Manning era? For the most part Mannings playoff losses came after the Colts had a lead going into the 4th quarter or taking a lead in the 4th quarter. Then the poor defense couldn't hold or the special teams would always give up huge plays to give great field position to the other teams. We lost quite a few games on late field goals or TDs giving up at the end of the games. My question is if Grigson is looked down upon and some want him fired but in the bigger picture his record is better that Polians was in his 4th year with the Colts. It took Manning how long to reach a AFC championship game? Polian had a much longer leash than Grigson has ever had. Like or dislike Grigson or Polian their records speak for themselves. Polian won a lot of playoff games but his record in winning the big games is pretty bad.

I'm sorry, but 3 extra playoff wins are not some great equalizer that puts Grigson on an equal footing with Polian. That's a fantasy.

I'm sorry, but 3 extra playoff wins are not some great equalizer that puts Grigson on an equal footing with Polian. That's a fantasy.

Polian had how many years experience when he come to the Colts? Grigson had zero years experience.  Grigson accomplished in three years what it took Polian 8 years to do. And that was with pretty much a new roster that was full of rookies. And that was without years of experience. That is no fantasy. That is fact. I am not saying that Grigson is as good as Polian is but he started out with less and accomplished more than Polian did with the Colts. Give Grison that much time and experience who knows what he will become.

He hasn't drafted very many defensive players, period. He's added defensive players in free agency. He also added Vontae Davis with a draft pick.

My point is simple, though. For Polian to decry the lack of homegrown defensive talent is the ultimate irony. There was practically no homegrown defensive talent on either side of the ball when Grigson took over. Now we have some, it's just overwhelmingly on the offense. Grigson hasn't done the best he could have done, but he also took over a bad roster, and that's on Polian.

As best as I can recall Polian's homegrown players were Curtis Painter. :D

I agree regarding his son Chris. He had no business having the influence that he did. That was Bill's undoing in my opinion. I think Polian still has a sharp enough football mind to GM for someone if he was inclined to do so. Even at his worse he is better than Griggs. At least he stays in his lane and let's the coaches coach. Bill has nothing left to prove and I think he is enjoying his role at ESPN.

Polians how many years experience vs Grigson's three years? I would say your point of view is slanted.

Polians how many years experience vs Grigson's three years? I would say your point of view is slanted.

Actually it's four years now...enough time to make a pretty decent assessment of his strengths and liabilities.   All he sees is offense and even though he was a former offensive lineman he sucks at actually finding Oline talent.  On top of that he has a big ego and wants too much control and input into coaching matters.  He's aggressive in free agency but so are the Redskins...that doesn't make him a good GM.  The good news is that he likely won't be around much longer if things continue to go the way they are.  Won't sniff Polian's tenure here.

Actually it's four years now...enough time to make a pretty decent assessment of his strengths and liabilities.   All he sees is offense and even though he was a former offensive lineman he sucks at actually finding Oline talent.  On top of that he has a big ego and wants too much control and input into coaching matters.  He's aggressive in free agency but so are the Redskins...that doesn't make him a good GM.  The good news is that he likely won't be around much longer if things continue to go the way they are.  Won't sniff Polian's tenure here.

You don't know anything about Grigson's ego, control or input. All you know is what you read in this forum.

You don't know anything about Grigson's ego, control or input. All you know is what you read in this forum.

This has been said of Griggson repeatedly by those who cover this sport. Several media sources have reported this about Griggson. Personally..the guy has always rubbed me the wrong way with his demeanor from what I have seen of him. He comes off as arrogant to me. That's my impression of him which seems to be supported by what is being reported about the guy.

So how do you know if he is a great guy who is respecting his coaches, letting them select their own staff and staying in his lane? You have no more first hand knowledge on that than anyone else does to the contrary. In fact you have even less because all reports are refuting that belief of him. Are we to just believe it's because media has an ax to grind against the Colts for some untold reason yet swallow whatever the Colts say? Colts aren't going to say anything really substantive on this..they will say nothing or just continue to recycle cliches for the fan's blind consumption which is essentially the same thing.

This has been said of Griggson repeatedly by those who cover this sport. Several media sources have reported this about Griggson. Personally..the guy has always rubbed me the wrong way with his demeanor from what I have seen of him. He comes off as arrogant to me. That's my impression of him which seems to be supported by what is being reported about the guy.

So how do you know if he is a great guy who is respecting his coaches, letting them select their own staff and staying in his lane? You have no more first hand knowledge on that than anyone else does to the contrary. In fact you have even less because all reports are refuting that belief of him. Are we to just believe it's because media has an ax to grind against the Colts for some untold reason yet swallow whatever the Colts say? Colts aren't going to say anything really substantive on this..they will say nothing or just continue to recycle cliches for the fan's blind consumption which is essentially the same thing.

The media does have an ax to grind with the Colts. The Colts are the ones who started the whole deflate thing it the media's eye and the media's golden boy was put in a bad light. It has become chic to be down on the Colts by the media. It makes no difference if Grigson rubs you the wrong way. And exactly how much have you seen of Grigson? Not enough to be positive of what you think. You are correct in my knowledge witch is not much, the same as you.

Its been completely different under Luck.  Almost exactly the same talent level at the same positions but a remarkably different outcome in the first halves...going on three years now.  That has to do with coaching, and it has to do with Luck himself.  I don't know if Luck has that go for the jugular type of mentality from the opening whistle like Manning had, and Pep Hamilton is no Tom Moore.  They simply cannot execute that type of O, IMO, against playoff caliber defenses.  The offense needs to adjust to Luck's skills, and I think the shiny players on the outside like Monciref and Dorsett can play effectively in the short game if given that philosophy change.  

Mannings strength was quick release passes along with timing patterns. Luck does not have either of those on his side at this time.

The media does have an ax to grind with the Colts. The Colts are the ones who started the whole deflate thing it the media's eye and the media's golden boy was put in a bad light. It has become chic to be down on the Colts by the media. It makes no difference if Grigson rubs you the wrong way. And exactly how much have you seen of Grigson? Not enough to be positive of what you think. You are correct in my knowledge witch is not much, the same as you.

There is no definitive proof that the media has an ax to grind with the Colts over deflate gate. How do you know that Brady is the media's golden boy? He was dragged through the mud when the Wells Report came out and the league suspended him. Now he is on the other side of that. He has the rings, wins, girl and controversy...what media outlet wouldn't talk about him? Colts are putting their own selves in the news with their bad play and front office tensions.

If I were the owner I would be willing to give Grigson a couple more years at least.  Let's face it.  For the most part the D has been playing well enough to keep the Colts in the game... but the O just keeps turning it over and a lot of that is on Luck.  Even with that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that will claim drafting Luck was a bad move for a GM.

I agree.  As long as he isn't over stepping his boundary anywhere I love that he gives attention to where it is needed.  Case in point would be our 2 lines.  I think these are the best O and D lines that Indy has seen in quite some time. 

There is no definitive proof that the media has an ax to grind with the Colts over deflate gate. How do you know that Brady is the media's golden boy? He was dragged through the mud when the Wells Report came out and the league suspended him. Now he is on the other side of that. He has the rings, wins, girl and controversy...what media outlet wouldn't talk about him? Colts are putting their own selves in the news with their bad play and front office tensions.

I have eyes, ears and the ability to observe.

I have eyes, ears and the ability to observe.

Precisely...at the end of the day the basis of all of our opinions boil down to that even those with which we don't agree.  So next time you try to say you don't know anything about blah, blah, blah...remember that.  Based on what I've read, heard and observed about Griggson I believe he is an egotistical, arrogant control freak.