Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

moving? (Merge)

csmopar

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im an Indiana guy first and foremost, If they decided to leave then I'd be disappointed but if we were to get a new team here in Indiana then I'd gladly convert, Don't believe that would happen any time soon however, I'd root for many of the players on the Colts however

Tough question OP.....I would have a hard time not rooting for Luck and the boys, regardless of how ticked off I would be at Irsay for moving if he didn't have a good reason....I am a big believer in supporting your local/state teams/businesses, and being I'm in NW Indiana, I'd have to fully back the Bears.

1st off, I love what the city and fans of Indy have done for the Colts. The patience and loyalty throughout the dark times. The friendly people and great hospitality towards me and my wife when we were there. That said.... I followed the Shoe from Baltimore and I'd do the same From Indy.

But I love you guys and gals

Talk of a team relocating to LA has me thinking. Where do peoples loyalties lie here, is it with the Colts franchise or the city of Indianapolis? Would you still support the Colts if they relocated? It's not really an issue the we come across much here in England with football/soccer.

The city must have some kind of agreement .. no ? Didn't the tax payers pay for all but about 100 mill which Irsay paid ? Would be crazy if he could walk after only  7-8 years.

I was thinking about this the other day. Not that they would move, but was curious how those of you from Indy would feel about this. Obviously you would be crushed, but would you continue to follow them or switch to a different team altogether?

I thought about this ten years ago when there was a lot of talk about moving to LA.  I'd still support the Colts as long as  they were the Colts.  If they changed it to the LA Crips and used a six pointed crown on the helmet then I would no longer root for them.  

As someone who doesn't live in Indiana it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It's the team I love so wherever they go I'll follow.

Same here. I followed them from Baltimore as well. I can't imagine they'd still be the Colts, but the Rams did it, sooo...

Ain't happenin' though, so we're all steady as she goes.

Gross. Bears fans should be sterilized

And if the Pacers left Indy..it would be the Bulls. Used to also root for the SuperSonics until the traitors left WA.

And the Spokane & Indy Indians, Cubs and White Sox but not the Pirates (even though Indy is their farm team).

And the Spokane Chiefs and NHL Ducks and Sharks.....started watching hockey while in CA.

If the Colts left Indy, my allegiance to them would come to a screeching halt.  I might still follow players that I like, such as Andrew Luck, but beyond that, I'd be done with them.  The Colts represent Indy.  Without Indy, they are just another team.

Not so. A great many of us followed the Colts from Baltimore. If the Colts left Indy and kept the Colts name and the colors, I'd follow them again no matter where they went.

Why is this still a thread? The Colts aren't going anywhere. Jim Irsay isn't his father for one. His father was an abusive control freak who meddled in the teams affairs all the time. Jim has had his issues personally, but has been hands off with the team with very few exceptions. As for moving, I never thought all the talk a decade ago was really that serious. But that's in the past. LOS is regarded was one of the best stadiums in the NFL (been voted best fan experience several times), the city supports the Colts (last non sellout was in 2003), and the stadium is 5 and a half years old. Baltimore was a different animal altogether. And that was Bob, not Jim. I think Jim learned from his Dad's mistakes.

I think the key words here were local talk show hosts. Local sports radio guys often speak on things they really have no clue on and just throw stuff out there. I would take this with an extremely large grain of salt and wait until something more official than this picks up this story before I pay it much attention.

I would not be totally shocked to see them move. I live in Jersey and have supported the team since they were in Baltimore. I don't feel they get great support in Indy. Ticket sales are sometimes so-so. Then again, they might not sell out in LA either. I tough being a small market team. Irsay and co. do a good job of putting a good product on the field. I live in Jets ,Giants Eagles country and good or bad they still have the fans allegiance. i'm not saying Indy does not have loyal fans because they obviously do. They just need more loyal fans.

You know...I keep hearing people say Indy is a small market city but the Indianapolis metro area is ranked 29th in the US and Cincinnati, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Charlotte-Concord are all in smaller markets.

As far as sports franchises go, I think market size is generally referred to by the rank in Nielsen Media Markets.  Since the bulk of the revenue comes from TV, that's pretty much what they look at.  We're the 27th largest Nielsen Media Market.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf

We're not as small a market as some would like to believe.  There are 8 teams that play in smaller markets than us:  San Diego, Nashville, Kansas City, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, New Orleans, and Buffalo.

Was listening to my local station on the radio this morning. They got talking bout the move to LA that could happen. One of the announcers said he had source saying the Colts are interested in the move to LA. Can't find anyone else online mentioning that so true or false?

Out of curiosity, what station and host was it?

joeb

Today, 02:46 PM

"I would not be totally shocked to see them move. I live in Jersey and have supported the team since they were in Baltimore. I don't feel they get great support in Indy. Ticket sales are sometimes so-so. Then again, they might not sell out in LA either. I tough being a small market team. Irsay and co. do a good job of putting a good product on the field. I live in Jets ,Giants Eagles country and good or bad they still have the fans allegiance. i'm not saying Indy does not have loyal fans because they obviously do. They just need more loyal fans."

Have you read any of this thread? Where are you getting your information about so-so ticket sales? We have been riding I don't know how many years (it's alot) of consecutive sellouts, with the season-ticket waiting list.

Where are you getting the information from to make the assumption that we need more loyal fans? Like I said earlier in this thread, even during the disastrous 2011 season the Colts played in front of packed home crowds, and our fans traveled well for every away game.

This is a preposterous thread because I would say the colts are actually probably on the top 5 list for teams least likely to move.

It's like the same pattern keeps repeating over and over. Someone will list out all the facts as to why the Colts are not going anywhere for a very long time, if ever. Then someone else will chime in with "I would not be surprised if they move, they don't get the support they need."

Come on.

I'm sure the Colts aren't going anywhere.

In order to generate the money to build LOS,  I'm sure the Colts signed an agreement, a lease, to play in the stadium.

At the short end, those agreements are at least 25 years.    And often,  they're 30, 33, 35 or even 40 years.

Take a deep breath.    Your team is not going anywhere.

Hey Doc!  That comment that I made was based on Jets and Giants being sold out for years in advance. They have not had the consistent success that we have had for the past 15 years. I have heard a few times throughout the years that some corporation or someone  would have to buy up the unsold tickets.to prevent a blackout. My point was that all  tickets should be sold out in advance. Just my opinion. Possibly I should have left this topic alone. I'll still be a fan and support them wherever they are.

Hey Doc!  That comment that I made was based on Jets and Giants being sold out for years in advance. They have not had the consistent success that we have had for the past 15 years. I have heard a few times throughout the years that some corporation or someone  would have to buy up the unsold tickets.to prevent a blackout. My point was that all  tickets should be sold out in advance. Just my opinion. Possibly I should have left this topic alone. I'll still be a fan and support them wherever they are.

colts have sold out every game since 2003 with really none coming down to the blackout dead-line other than the two quick turn around playoff games that even the Packers were struggling to sell out last year. The Colts have no issues selling tickets.

I'm sure the Colts aren't going anywhere.

In order to generate the money to build LOS,  I'm sure the Colts signed an agreement, a lease, to play in the stadium.

At the short end, those agreements are at least 25 years.    And often,  they're 30, 33, 35 or even 40 years.

Take a deep breath.    Your team is not going anywhere.

again I think the keywords in this story was local radio host. Most likely just throwing out some teams that he felt could move with no research or anything to back it up. I think the Rams and maybe Chargers end up in LA and this whole teams moving to LA threat goes away.

Comparing Baltimore with Indianapolis does not make sense. Indianapolis has built the Colts two new stadiums and have supported them. Baltimore expected the Colts to play in a stadium that pretty much needed condemned. Even in the Indy Colts thin days they were drawing more fans that what Baltimore was providing at the time. Baltimore lost the Colts and really didn't realize how much they did lose and even after all this time there are still a lot of butt hurt Baltimore fans. Funny how some react after the fact. Now the Ravens are supported and are playing in a nice stadium. It all would have been avoided had the city and the people of Baltimore supported the Colts in the first place.

actually, Baltimore agreed to build a stadium. A drunk Robert Irsay said on camera he'd sign a lease if the Orioles would. The o's did; irsay backed out..

The Real reason the move was necessary was Baltimore Blue Laws. No game could start before 2pm because the tailgater's took all the church parking lots surrounding Memorial Stadium. Before the 1970 merger there was only one NFL game a day so it was no big deal. Once there were 1pm games, 4pm games plus one 2pm game, a move or a law change was necessary. TV forced the issue..

By the way, the Rams just had their lease changed to Year to Year. They can go anytime...

Hey Doc! That comment that I made was based on Jets and Giants being sold out for years in advance. .

same was in Baltimore prior to Bob Irsay. Then in January 71 they were Champs. Irsay traded or refused to sign the stars and by the 72-73 season they were 2-12 and Marty Domres was qb, and people quit buying tickets.

We're incredibly lucky that jimmy hasn't acted like his Dad. We have the House that Peyton built, and now Luck is on our side. I've been a Colts fan since Unitas was was young. I've been blessed...

Was listening to my local station on the radio this morning. They got talking bout the move to LA that could happen. One of the announcers said he had source saying the Colts are interested in the move to LA. Can't find anyone else online mentioning that so true or false?

What station was that? I did a google search and the only place I can find this talked about right now......is in this thread

Keep in mind there was a lot of time and effort turing Indy into a football town.  This is home for the Irsays and they have one of the best stadiums in the NFL, so I'm not sure why they would leave