Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does everyone think of Hakeem Nicks so far?

Tsarquise

How well has he played?

Is he not getting open?

Why is he not putting up the same numbers he was a few years ago? He's only 26.

I'd like to see ALL of our pass catchers excel! Just imagine if all of our players on offense realize their potential on field.

Discuss!

I think he's doing okay.  For some reason it always seems like when Luck decides to throw to Nicks it's a bad throw that is too high, too low or there is double coverage.  He'll have a big game sooner than later I believe.

It is safe to say Reggie and T.Y. know a tad bit about the offense than Hakeem Nicks, so they are the 2 primary wide outs in 2 WR formations more often than not. The other aspect is they are working in Moncrief more because they realize he is the future outside wide out and Hakeem Nicks was always a 1 year stop gap, IMO, to make sure that if Reggie was not 100%, you needed another vet.

If Reggie shows he is healthy throughout the year, he will play on another 1 yr. contract, IMO and Nicks is gone and Moncrief, who will be #3 will get ready for #1/#2 based on how year 2 goes.

He doesn't get a lot of targets, but he's done ok when he is targeted.  Not great, not bad, just ok.

In our revolving door of receivers outside of Wayne and Hilton, he's probably the best we've had so far. 

Avery was inconsistent with his hands.

DHB had no hands

Nicks you at least know if the pass is good he will catch it.  

He's not the 1 or 2 wideout here in Indy so he doesn't get as many snaps as Wayne or Hilton so getting numbers is going to be a battle for him . He's playing fine open a lot not sure if his lack of targets are him and Luck being on the same page or if he's not the primary receiver on the plays he is in .

Yeah. Not bad, not great.

Like someone said, I don't think we have any intention of keeping him around, so I'd rather see Moncrief get his snaps. 

I think Nicks was signed as insurance on Reggie. If Reggie hadn't been able to get back to what he used to be (And that was a VERY real possibility) we would have Nicks to help carry some of that load. But Reggie has come back strong, Hilton is still keeping defenses' attention, and the TE's and HB's are proving to be mega dangerous as well. So we don't need a ton of production from that third receiver. 

he's not getting as many targets but he's made the most of what he's been given.....when he's your #3...you're pretty stacked at receiver.

also, he's at least CATCHING the balls (unlike DHB last year)

Calling him #3 doesn't even paint the picture properly. He's in a battle for targets with Richardson, Bradshaw, Allen and Fleener. It's Reggie and T.Y., and then everyone else.

I decided to look him up and see what he's been up to. He's playing for the Steelers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12570/darrius-heyward-bey

Anyways, he had 1 rec against the Jags for 0 yards, so he caught something recently.

He's even worse as a Steeler...

I still think Nicks will be a nice asset further down in the season.  We can use him to mix things up a bit.

we spread the ball around too much for nicks to breakout. honestly for the pass two years our number 3 wr has been a nonfactor so nicks gives you that extra option that you cant ignore like you would with avery and dhb

Calling him #3 doesn't even paint the picture properly. He's in a battle for targets with Richardson, Bradshaw, Allen and Fleener. It's Reggie and T.Y., and then everyone else.

I view him as #3 as a WR, not #3 as in who gets targeted in general....but yeah he's still well behind Reggie and TY.

I am happy With what he has done, Even tho he hasn't put up great numbers due to lack of being targeted, But his presence on the field alone is a big plus for this offense. The defense know's what Nicks is capable of doing they HAVE to give him that respect when he is on the field which opens up lanes for other guys like Reggie, TY, Fleener, Allen so forth. 

I view him as #3 as a WR, not #3 as in who gets targeted in general....but yeah he's still well behind Reggie and TY.

So you're saying, talent-wise, you view him as a WR3 on the team.

Is this true?

Is he truly, based on talent and potential, the third WR on our team?

Wouldn't it be wise to start getting him involved more? He is only 26. Reggie is 37? Right?

Is he slower than Wayne? Does T.Y. have better hands?

Are his routes poor?

I'm asking because I really don't know. He looked phenomenal when I saw him play for the Giants. I want to see that here.

exactly what Polian called him. Polian was much higher on wayne, Hilton ,and our tightends.

Yeah, it seems to me that TY and Reggie are the top two WRs, the TEs are good. It is good to have the multiple options for Luck to throw to, I like seeing him spread it around.

So you're saying, talent-wise, you view him as a WR3 on the team.

Is this true?

Is he truly, based on talent and potential, the third WR on our team?

Wouldn't it be wise to start getting him involved more? He is only 26. Reggie is 37? Right?

Is he slower than Wayne? Does T.Y. have better hands?

Are his routes poor?

I'm asking because I really don't know. He looked phenomenal when I saw him play for the Giants. I want to see that here.

The Colts aren't asking him to the be the #1 he was in NY.  I'm not sure he's even the same WR as then.  He and Luck are not yet in sync the way #12 is with TY and Reggie.  I'm happy with what I have seen so far - he catches the balls that he should so we can't ask for much more.  Unless you play with Peyton the #3 WR gets table scraps unless he has the hot hand on any given Sunday.

I'm fine with Nicks. He'll get better and better as the season goes along.

This. 

Luck is more comfortable throwing to Reggie and TY, but I do believe we will see more from Nicks later on in the season.  Nicks is a great insurance policy to have just in case.  We have all seen the likes of DHB and Avery, Nicks is a major upgrade. 

This is funny. During the off season, the same folks talking the dude down were saying he's the game breaking WR the Colts needed.

It's crazy how some things don't go as planned. Man, I bet those people who were saying he was so good really are embarrassed now!

I think he's doing okay. For some reason it always seems like when Luck decides to throw to Nicks it's a bad throw that is too high, too low or there is double coverage. He'll have a big game sooner than later I believe.

Def noticed that too. Guess that goes to their timing and familiarity

I think he's doing okay. For some reason it always seems like when Luck decides to throw to Nicks it's a bad throw that is too high, too low or there is double coverage. He'll have a big game sooner than later I believe.

Yeah it does seem that way. It seems like most of the throws are bad when Luck throws to Nicks. Either too high or too low.