Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wayne VS Harrison

Who is/was the better receiver?

This isn't about the numbers, but about the injury, which yeah, were different injuries, both sustained vs the broncos interestingly enough. But if Reggie comes back full strength or better, is it safe to say he is the better WR now?

No.

regular season--Marvin (one of the greatest all time)

Post season--Reggie

Marvin's one of the greatest but there's no denying that he was invisible a lot in the post season (save for a few times against Denver)

It's easy to look good in the playoffs when the no. 1 receiver, Marv, is being double all day. 2010 WC anyone, One catch for one yard?

It's a tough call. But as a fan, I appreciate when the player loves the city and fans and makes it known. Reggie is easier for me to connect with and I think most would agree. He's a professional, works his tail off, makes great plays, and is a die-hard COLTS GUY. Marvin hardly spoke and nobody really got to know who he was. Yes, his numbers were staggering and his on-field performance was amazing. I will always miss those days but I must say that Reggie's retirement will sadden me more than Marvin's.

IMO Harrison was the better WR, One of the greats in Champ Bailey once said that Marvin Harrison was one of the best Receivers and most Dangerous he ever had to cover. Dont get me wrong i love Reggie but Marvin IMO is the better of the two.

Funny Champ would say that. One of my favorite memories of Marvin wasn't a catch. It was a block. Marvin raced downfield while one of our other receivers had the ball and was heading for the endzone. Several DB's were converging on the runner, including Champ, and Marvin came in unseen by Champ and cleaned his clock. It was definitely one of those blocks where the tackler never saw the blocker coming but Marvin decleated him.

regular season--Marvin (one of the greatest all time)

Post season--Reggie

Marvin's one of the greatest but there's no denying that he was invisible a lot in the post season (save for a few times against Denver)

I hope you aren't a Peyton fan with that kind of logic lol.

Funny Champ would say that. One of my favorite memories of Marvin wasn't a catch. It was a block. Marvin raced downfield while one of our other receivers had the ball and was heading for the endzone. Several DB's were converging on the runner, including Champ, and Marvin came in unseen by Champ and cleaned his clock. It was definitely one of those blocks where the tackler never saw the blocker coming but Marvin decleated him.

Gotta love Marvin, he was a very Unselfish individual and wasnt afraid to get dirty.

Isn't an ACL tear a little worse than a bruised knee? I would think one would come back from a bruised knee but Marvin never looked the same. My question isn't about now, but if Reggie comes back as good or better will he be considered a better athlete? Reggie has everything Marvin had besides quickness. His numbers are growing closer but like I said not comparing that.

IMO Reggie is like Peyton when it comes to rehab work, nothing will keep him out.

Yes I watched Marvin play. He was amazing to watch most of the time. But I love Reggie more and I would have to say I think he's the better receiver.

Harrison is a true great, but I prefer Reggie. I reckon Reggie will surpass Marvin in both receptions and yards. Not TDs, but Reggie doesn't have to. Why? Because you cant just look at stats.

Marvin was always shut down in the playoffs - where you have to step up! That's how many people remember him. Absolute monster in the reg. season, while very mediocre in the playoffs.

Wayne: 17 games, 83 catches, 1128 yard, 9 TDs

Harrison: 16 games, 65 catches, 833 yards, 2 TDs

Even TY already has 1/4 of Marvin's yards, 1/6 of his catches and as many TDs. He will likely surpass him in a couple seasons

I think it depends on what kind of glasses you are looking through. If you're looking at stats only, Marvin all the way. If you're looking at who done the most for the team. Reggie wins by a landslide. Out side of taking a massive paycut to stay when the Colts needed him most as a leader, he's always been a leader of the colts. He knows how to motivate his team. We saw what the let down of not having a leader along Reggie's caliber last season after he got hurt. then when he was on the side lines a few games later, we seemed to shake off some of the nervousness. Reggie also produced with crappy QBs such as painter and company during the 2011 season. One of the few bright spots. Marvin had Peyton...who can make a receiver better. Not taking anything from Marvin and the stats he had, nor his on field awareness and magnetic hands. But I feel it is all relative and reggie wins in all but stats. Just my 2 cents

Wayne is by far the better "leader"

Harrison was by far the better player...

but as someone else has mentioned I will miss Reggie more when he hangs em up more than Marv.

It sucked that Marv had the weird ordeal to deal with in Philly with the shooting at his establishment or whatever happened there at the end of his career...

sorta shady

This isn't about the numbers, but about the injury, which yeah, were different injuries, both sustained vs the broncos interestingly enough. But if Reggie comes back full strength or better, is it safe to say he is the better WR now?

No, I don't think so -- Marvin's stretch from 1999-2006 is by far the best 8 year stretch of any WR in NFL history -- he was hurt in 2007 and was not the same in 2008.  Marvin played 13 seasons, with 1 ended by injury in week 5 -- Wayne has played 13 seasons with 1 ended by injury in week 7.  If Wayne surpasses Marvin's number this year, it will have taken him 1 year longer.  I think it is safe to say Wayne's first 6 years in the league, Marvin was the clear #1 and Wayne benefited greatly from receiving less attention as the #2.  Wayne is a great player, should be a HOFer, but he is not the same level of greatness as Marvin.  It was a shame, IMO, that Marvin was a not a first-ballot HOFer -- I think Reggie should make it to the HOF one day, but I don't think he has the same argument to be 1st or 2nd ballot as Marvin does.

It's a tough call. But as a fan, I appreciate when the player loves the city and fans and makes it known. Reggie is easier for me to connect with and I think most would agree. He's a professional, works his tail off, makes great plays, and is a die-hard COLTS GUY. Marvin hardly spoke and nobody really got to know who he was. Yes, his numbers were staggering and his on-field performance was amazing. I will always miss those days but I must say that Reggie's retirement will sadden me more than Marvin's.

Marvin was quiet, but there's no way you can say he didn't work his tail off.  Marvin and Peyton worked together so meticulously and that is a big reason which allowed them to succeed so much -- I think Reggie greatly benefited from coming into the league and learning his work ethic from Marv, just as our young WRs today are benefiting from learning from Reggie.  I remember Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer coming to a Colts game when they were just starting in Cincy just to watch Peyton and Marv's pre-game routines and to study how they were communicating throughout the game.

Isn't an ACL tear a little worse than a bruised knee? I would think one would come back from a bruised knee but Marvin never looked the same. My question isn't about now, but if Reggie comes back as good or better will he be considered a better athlete? Reggie has everything Marvin had besides quickness. His numbers are growing closer but like I said not comparing that.

IMO Reggie is like Peyton when it comes to rehab work, nothing will keep him out.

Yes I watched Marvin play. He was amazing to watch most of the time. But I love Reggie more and I would have to say I think he's the better receiver.

Hard to say -- Marv bruised his knee but also had major bursa sac damage and constant inflammation, something which surgery is not as typical or routine for and which causes constant pain and discomfort.  Having an ACL tear 5 years ago is way different than an ACL tear today, the surgery has become so advanced and developed into something which players can come back from even stronger than they were prior to surgery (kind of similar to Tommy John surgery for a MLB pitcher, 5-10 years ago it could be a career-ender, now we see guys coming back as good or better than before).

you can't be unbiased?

Harrison is a true great, but I prefer Reggie. I reckon Reggie will surpass Marvin in both receptions and yards. Not TDs, but Reggie doesn't have to. Why? Because you cant just look at stats.

Marvin was always shut down in the playoffs - where you have to step up! That's how many people remember him. Absolute monster in the reg. season, while very mediocre in the playoffs.

Even TY already has 1/4 of Marvin's yards, 1/6 of his catches and as many TDs. He will likely surpass him in a couple seasons

hmm let's see if there is a reason for that. Marv was probably just tired in the playoffs. So like him to just give poor effort.

That is sarcasm. I wish people that bring up the playoffs would actually put some thought into what they are saying

You know, it's really hard to say when you compare the post season stats. I definitely think that Marvin's post season stats were effected by the fact that teams tried to take him out of our game plan in the playoffs. I'm sure teams schemed to cover him tight at the line and a safety over the top and they just had to live with what that gave us on the other side. JMO

Wayne is by far the better "leader"

Harrison was by far the better player...

Very true. Harrison, on the sidelines, would typically sit at the end of the bench and rarely say a word. Players seemed to shy away from him at that point. He was one of those silent types who let his play do the talking.

I would take Marvin all week and twice on Sunday.

I love 87 but did you watch Marvin play? He could take it to La Casa and move the chance made all the catches. He caught 142 balls in one season back when you could still hold and hit the WR's well more than you can now. Going over the middle was much more dangerous Marvin just had a knack for not taking the big hit but still make the catch. He is in conversions with guys like Jerry Rice as being on of the best ever in my opinion

I would take Marvin all week and twice on Sunday.

I love 87 but did you watch Marvin play? He could take it to La Casa and move the chance made all the catches. He caught 142 balls in one season back when you could still hold and hit the WR's well more than you can now. Going over the middle was much more dangerous Marvin just had a knack for not taking the big hit but still make the catch. He is in conversions with guys like Jerry Rice as being on of the best ever in my opinion

I remember Marvin Harrison, and I remember his play, he was one of a kind. So is Reggie. I guess we will see at the end of Reggie's career if he is at the same level.