Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

We still have our 2nd, 3rd round picks and 35 mil in cap space next year. With players like Alex Mack, Jeremy Macklin,  Orakpo,Nicks,Decker, available in free agency. We just got a franchise RB with top 5 potential for a pick that will be in the late teens or 20's, this is a steal.

We have 35 mill next year?  So what is everyone freaking out about losing the pick when we'll probably sign (or trade) a big name lineman like we did this year with Cherilus (even though he hasn't lived up to the high expectations yet).  I get the feeling this staff prefers to spend money on proven talent when it comes to the offensive line than draft.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still have our 2nd, 3rd round picks and 35 mil in cap space next year. With players like Alex Mack, Jeremy Macklin,  Orakpo,Nicks,Decker, available in free agency. We just got a franchise RB with top 5 potential for a pick that will be in the late teens or 20's, this is a steal.

I'm out of likes for the day, but this, I like. The value for us is great, because even if one doesn't like the concept of burning 1st round picks on RB's, getting a young, talented 3 down back on his rookie contract is a steal financially. To sign a veteran of Richardson's ability to a long term deal would've cost us much more in cap space.

Everyone crying about this obviously forgot how complimentary Edge was to Manning.

You mean over a decage ago? The game has changed since then. I'm sure Luck and Richardson will benefit from playing with each other, but you don't have to invest so heavily in a running back in the new NFL just to have a productive run game.

I don't know why this is even being talked about as a potential bad trade.

This does WONDERS for Luck, and the rest of the offense.

Luck will actually be able to get defenses to BITE on play action now instead of laughing as they rush in for the sack. Not to mention Richardson is a WORKHORSE who rushes between the tackles. He will force the defenses to stay honest against Luck.

We have up our 1st round pick in 2014 which will probably be mid to late and on top of that Cleveland is paying most of Richardson's salary. Um YEA! Sign me up!

We still have our 2nd, 3rd round picks and 35 mil in cap space next year. With players like Alex Mack, Jeremy Macklin, Orakpo,Nicks,Decker, available in free agency. We just got a franchise RB with top 5 potential for a pick that will be in the late teens or 20's, this is a steal.

I'll take Orakpo & Maclin

Eric Decker no. He has been bad so far this year. Maybe the Wes Welker signing got him shook lol

We have 35 mill next year?  So what is everyone freaking out about losing the pick when we'll probably sign (or trade) a big name lineman like we did this year with Cherilus (even though he hasn't lived up to the high expectations yet).  I get the feeling this staff prefers to spend money on proven talent when it comes to the offensive line than draft.

We also could save 7 mil by cutting Walden and possibly Redding(if he continues to decline and Hughes improve).  Alex Mack is a pro bowl C i think he'll be on the top of Grigson list to sign.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You mean over a decage ago? The game has changed since then. I'm sure Luck and Richardson will benefit from playing with each other, but you don't have to invest so heavily in a running back in the new NFL just to have a productive run game.

One thing I will say about the trade from the Cleveland perspective that bothers me, is Sam Bradford,  RG3, Russ Wilson, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan all had good rookie campaigns because they had very good running backs behind them. Steven Jackson, Alfred Morris, Lynch, Rice, and Turner.  If Cleveland is all in for a new QB next year, having Richardson would have been a huge benefit to a young qb to develop and not be thrown out with the wolves like luck was.  Even Peyton had Marshall Faulk.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We also could save 7 mil by cutting Walden and possibly Redding(if he continues to decline and Hughes improve).  Alex Mack is a pro bowl C i think he'll be on the top of Grigson list to sign.

Problem is Alex will be at the top of alot of GMS lists.  But I would love to get him.

Thats just it, if it don't fix the problem, why do it? It would be different if we were a good RB away from being a top running team, but in no way, shape, or form is that the case.

the move to get richardson was not all about THIS year.  look at it this way.  we drafted a RB in the first round of next years draft but get to play him this year and he has a year of experience already.  Next year, after drafting/signing a few more OLineman, we could be scary good.

option A:  take a Olineman in the first and stick with Bradshaw, Ballard (after knee surgery), and a FA RB (that a team didnt want and has to choose to come to Indy)

option B: improve Oline through FA (i think is much easier to do than RB) and have TRENT RICHARDSON at RB with Bradshaw as backup (maybe).

I choose option B.  

I don't see us getting rid of Redding.  He has some type of leadership here and is productive, but the Walden move I can see happening if Werner continues to show up.

One thing I will say about the trade from the Cleveland perspective that bothers me, is Sam Bradford,  RG3, Russ Wilson, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan all had good rookie campaigns because they had very good running backs behind them. Steven Jackson, Alfred Morris, Lynch, Rice, and Turner.  If Cleveland is all in for a new QB next year, having Richardson would have been a huge benefit to a young qb to develop and not be thrown out with the wolves like luck was.  Even Peyton had Marshall Faulk.

and Luck was successful with a crap run game.  the future is looking bright in indy

Well he did essentially shut down Cameron Wake last week  :dunno:

I don't buy in to RB being an overrated position- I think at one point it was, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

The reason great RB's don't win more is that they're usually saddled with bad QB play- guys like Chris Johnson, MJD, Charles, and Peterson come to mind. Put a great RB with a QB that's worth his salt, and it's a whole different ball game. You rarely see tandems line up like that because most teams with one great piece aren't bad enough to get the other, or they can't draft well enough to hit on both of the picks. Quality, prime RB's and QB's rarely change teams.

All I know is power running and defense helped Tom Brady, Big Ben, Flacco, Dilfer, and Eli win Superbowls they wouldn't have gotten to otherwise, usually early on in their career. That's clearly the template we're following, and I have no doubt we'll continue to work on and invest in the defense to get it where it needs to be. This is a big step in the right direction for us. 

Everyone crying about this obviously forgot how complimentary Edge was to Manning.

Both these guys are 22. Give them 2 seasons together and they will be the best QB/RB tandem in the league. They will grow and get better together. As long as they stay healthy, the rest of the league better be on notice.

I remember winning the SB after Edge left with Addai and Dom Rhodes

I'm officially starting to question Grigson's competency at his position. This was a stupid trade. Backs are a dime a dozen. Who trades for running backs anymore, let alone for a first round pick? My optimism for this season has plummeted between this, Dwayne Allen and Donald Thomas being lost for the year. This was purely a panick move, and tells me we don't really have much of a plan or vision for this team going forward

That escalated quickly

I don't buy in to RB being an overrated position- I think at one point it was, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

The reason great RB's don't win more is that they're usually saddled with bad QB play- guys like Chris Johnson, MJD, Charles, and Peterson come to mind. Put a great RB with a QB that's worth his salt, and it's a whole different ball game. You rarely see tandems line up like that because most teams with one great piece aren't bad enough to get the other, or they can't draft well enough to hit on both of the picks. Quality, prime RB's and QB's rarely change teams.

All I know is power running and defense helped Tom Brady, Big Ben, Flacco, Dilfer, and Eli win Superbowls they wouldn't have gotten to otherwise, usually early on in their career. That's clearly the template we're following, and I have no doubt we'll continue to work on and invest in the defense to get it where it needs to be. This is a big step in the right direction for us.

This post times 405593429492 thousand.

and we got a top talent, first round pick, and will not pay ANY signing bonus...with the new rookie wage scale, that saves us a big chunk of money!  And he is a feature back, not just a "good enough" back...we haven't had one of those since Edge hurt his knee! And he's about the same age as Luck and our entire draft class from last year...that will let them ALL grow together and hopefully have great careers together, with several Super Bowl wins

I hope you're right about how good he is.....Everybody looks great at Alabama......

Our management clearly believes he's better than what we have because they wasted NO TIME grabbing him up

Just go to the extreme.....nice tactic

why the mention of Edge not winning an SB?  what were you eluding to with that bit of trivia, hmmm?

explain yourself, or we will all assume that you believe Edge/Manning combo somehow prevented us from winning a ring.  I'm waiting for your "nuh uh!!!!!  thats not what I said!!!!!"

I think when teams gang up on the run , RB's have a harder time breaking tackles as there are usually more than one defender hitting them. Weedon and Cleveland had a miserable time throwing the ball last year. Also I thought the broken ribs were last year and not this year. In any event you get Richardson and give up "you'll never know." So unless Richardson breaks out . it will be really hard to evaluate. I like it but I can understand why some have reservations.

It was last year. He even said I. An interview he played at 40%. Seems real low to me lol.

Chet Gresham put up a great article on Rotoworld here. Here's a really interesting part to me:

Last year he ranked 7th in Pro Football Focus' Elusive Rating. He caused 59 missed tackles on his touches and still had just 3.6 yards per carry. He was getting hit at the line. He also played through a rib cartilage injury at less than 100% and other nicks and bruises. This is all to say that Richardson is good and even after two sub-par statistical games with Cleveland this season, he still led all running backs in PFF's Elusive Rating. He's doing more work for those few yards than most backs do for 20.

why the mention of Edge not winning an SB?  what were you eluding to with that bit of trivia, hmmm?

explain yourself, or we will all assume that you believe Edge/Manning combo somehow prevented us from winning a ring.  I'm waiting for your "nuh uh!!!!!  thats not what I said!!!!!"

How mature. I wasn't attempting to diminish Edge's talent, which was significant, I was pointing out its not needed in today's NFL to invest heavily in the RB position. Get a good offensive line and a lot of running backs can get the job done.

I can't even take you seriously.  Unimpressive start?  He was asked to do what Adrian Peterson did his rookie year, and he was close.  300 yards less and 1 less TD.  And Peterson wasn't dealing with a rookie QB.

Who was the Vikings QB then?  Besides, it's all about the YPC and vision.  AD trumps Trent bigtime in both.

He had ELEVEN touchdowns last year...9 rushing, which set the record for a rookie RB...sure, he had a bad season last year...especially coming off of an injury...  so honestly, what WOULD have he needed to do, for you to be impressed? Put up better numbers than Peterson? lol

The Browns record, sure.  He's a good goal line back and he certainly runs with power.  As I said, I just don't trust his vision.

Wasn't really that "unimpressive" considering he had broken ribs while playing for a team with no passing game . You watch the Browns a whole lot last year ? Huh... surprising that you would be that interested in them. 

Here's a quiz for you and other nay sayers..

In my rookie year I ran for 697 yards on 187 carries with 2 TD's. Had 30 receptions for 343 yards and 3 TD's . Second year 120 for 488 and 10 receptions for 139 yards.

Who am I ?

Got me on the riddle.  I can think of a few well-regarded backs with similar slow starts but not with those exact numbers.  It's not like Trent can't conceivably become a Hall of Famer, my estimation of him just has that first round pick being a bit too risky for my liking.  I have him pegged as a Knowshon Moreno kind of player at present.

As for why I was watching him... when you have Game Rewind you can choose to VERY quickly watch a large selection of plays from a single player.  Last year I decided I wanted to look at Trent before we played them late in the season.  He didn't wow me.

I find it odd that you guys are so defensive about the kid already.  I'm not just hating for the sake of it.  Heck, I think pretty highly of Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw (if he's healthy).  Just was never on the Richardson hypetrain.

It was last year. He even said I. An interview he played at 40%. Seems real low to me lol.

Yea... I didn't think he broke ribs two years in a row . Furthermore usually a RB breaks ribs during a season and not training camp. Where do these guys crawl out from ?

How mature. I wasn't attempting to diminish Edge's talent, which was significant, I was pointing out its not needed in today's NFL to invest heavily in the RB position. Get a good offensive line and a lot of running backs can get the job done.

a lot of backs dont get a D to stack 7 in the box.  Now they wont do that anymore, how can you not see that this will only improve both sides of our offense?  No one was scared of old man Bradshaw or GD Brown.  Now coordinators have to plan accordingly for both run and pass.

And this really wasnt a heavy investment, I completely disagree with you there.  Both from a financial standpoint and from a draft standpoint.  Second round OL choices will be fine. 

I had a strange feeling we were going to gamble AGAIN with a first round RB pick anyways.  Now we have a semi-proven stud who can only get better instead of languishing with Lombardi and Banner at the Factory of Sadness.