Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, not sure he fully embraces yet.  certainly would give one a sense of defeat but also a sense of want from the Colts giving up a first-rounder.  Chip on shoulder for sure.  Says he will always be a Brown which is pretty weird only being there basically a year and 2 games.  I would be the opposite, like appauld and fully embrace the Colts.  He's going to feel weird coming into a locker room of an already established team.  Awkward at best.  Can't wait to see if he impresses us at the news conference coming up here in 17 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First let me explain, I was just posting information of so called EXPERTS, they are not gods words and if u look at so called experts expert weekly picks u would know they are not experts per se , merely media darlings that voice opinions and need ratings to keep there jobs and following

Many like to bash our colts too 

My posting of comments was done to merely provide some more input , i thought other GM's point of view may be of use to some as u dont always get that  but then again they may be jealous they didnt get a second chance for Trent

this will only be determined Via hindsight a few years from now

than you for posting this!

i couldn't have agreed more with what these professionals, not fans, bloggers, or reporters are saying!

Would these be the same professionals who graded out Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf as "A tough pick between who to draft?"

That and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Is Grigson not paid to be right about these things?

Exactly...  and he was 3rd Pick BECAUSE  Luck and RGIII  were #1 and #2...

And for those who mistook my earlier post   Run Trent, Run....  for something else.

He's Running Back,   I was meaning   Run for the Goal Post,  Run for :td:    Run Trent, Run.

Go COLTS.   This is a positive move. IMO

nothing is 100%, but i have more faith in someone that's payed to be right about these things, over people who's lively-hood doesn't depend on being right about these things.

There is a term for trusting in those who we deem smarter then ourselves, but it slips my mind at the moment lol.

Likely your trusting in them more because they are saying what your saying, so your trusting less in their experience, knowledge, and qualifications, and more in your own biases. Not that your wrong/or will end up wrong. But just because your in a position of power or authority doesn't make you infallible.

First let me explain, I was just posting information of so called EXPERTS, they are not gods words and if u look at so called experts expert weekly picks u would know they are not experts per se , merely media darlings that voice opinions and need ratings to keep there jobs and following

My posting of comments was done to merely provide some more input , i thought other GM's point of view may be of use to some as u dont always get that  but then again they may be jealous they didnt get a second chance for Trent

I wasn't giving you grief bayone. :thmup:

Yes, we agree on this one completely. When I said he was not fast. i was talking about game changing speed like Lynch or Peterson:

It's not that Richardson can't be a productive back for the Colts. He's clearly their best option after starter Vick Ballard sustained a season-ending knee injury. It's just that Richardson isn't special. He averaged 3.6 yards per carry in his first season (granted, he didn't have much help) and he didn't have the explosive speed to be a game-breaker. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9691534/trent-richardson-game-changer

I think what is concerning about this deal is that the Colts have good RBs currently and Ballard will be back next year. To give a number one NOW is that part that does not make sense. I don't see the Colts contending this year which would be the only reason to do this deal if you felt the team was one stud RB away from making the SB. I would more expected this deal from the Broncos who could use a stud RB to make a legit run in the playoffs as defenses will take away/slow down Manning's passing attack.

I also agree about not giving a number one for any RB. But still there is a part of me that gets the fact that the OC wants to run more but I think the Colts could have accomplished that with the guys they have and even moreso next season when Ballard is back.

Well I don't know if comparing his speed to two of the best runners in the game is exactly a fair assessment. He's not the absolute fastest guy in the league, but he has plenty of speed and will run past plenty of defenders. But more importantly, he can get through the hole and finish, and that's what a back spends 95% of his time doing.

And I disagree with the assessment that Richardson isn't special. I think he is. Not Peterson special, of course, but I think he has the stuff to be a premiere back in the league for several years. I don't care about his YPC because that's not a clear indication of his abilities. The Browns faced stacked boxes very often last season, he was a little nicked up, and he was a rookie. And don't forget that he had his knee scoped last offseason. He was never 100%. I think Richardson has a lot more to offer than what he's done so far.

Richardson is much better than Ballard. I like Ballard, but he's just a regular back. And he's going to be coming back from a major injury. Bradshaw is a one year rental, and has never been a workhorse back, and he's not quite 100% himself. After this season, we'll have Ballard and Richardson still under contract, and that's a nice 1-2 punch. I wouldn't have given up a first rounder, personally, because of his position, but I think the improvement he'll bring is undeniable, and very valuable to our team.

Lastly, a lot of people have been saying that the Colts want to run more. I think the proper way to say it is that the Colts want to run better, more effectively, and they expect that to pay dividends in terms of offensive efficiency and help keep the defense on the sidelines.

There is a term for trusting in those who we deem smarter then ourselves, but it slips my mind at the moment lol.

Likely your trusting in them more because they are saying what your saying, so your trusting less in their experience, knowledge, and qualifications, and more in your own biases. Not that your wrong/or will end up wrong. But just because your in a position of power or authority doesn't make you infallible.

Outstanding point. Whether the person "paid" to make the decision agrees with me or not, just because he is ''paid'' to make these decisions does not mean he is making the right decision. If so, the percentage of first round draft choices that achieve what the team that drafted them expected would be more than 40%. Also, I think Bobby Beathard was being paid when he chose Ryan Leaf, and I'm pretty sure the GM's that chose Brady Quinn, Jim Druckenmiller, JeMarcus Russell and countless other flops, were being ''paid'' to make those decisons as well.

Guest TeamLoloJones

So just thinking here....so the Colts:

Have the best QB in the 2012 draft (Luck)

the best RB in the 2012 draft (Richardson)

the best WR in the 2012 draft (Hilton)

the best TE in the 2012 draft (Allen)

and the best half court shooting player in the 2012 draft (Harnish)

Michael Lombardi said that Trent Richardson was the safest pick in the draft, that everyone would want a chance to draft him and that it doesn't matter if he's a running back.

So, bloodonthetracks, I don't know what you're saying...

http://on.nfl.com/18dTJmO

I'm not saying anything....as I pointed out in the earlier post, that's what his former colleagues at nfl network were saying yesterday.

We didn't waste a pick.  We basically traded our 2014 (Most likely mid to low) 1st round pick for the 2012 number 3 pick.  If we would have done it back then during the draft, it would be an aboslute steal.  Now we even have the luxury of seeing how our pick performs in the League. 

Luck, TY, Trent just a generation after Manning, Marvin, Edge.  I have nothing to complain about. 

We didn't waste a pick.  We basically traded our 2014 (Most likely mid to low) 1st round pick for the 2012 number 3 pick.  If we would have done it back then during the draft, it would be an aboslute steal.  Now we even have the luxury of seeing how our pick performs in the League. 

Luck, TY, Trent just a generation after Manning, Marvin, Edge.  I have nothing to complain about. 

Yeah we got a season to see that he was way overdrafted.  He was drafted higher than AP and his talent is not even close!

So just thinking here....so the Colts:

Have the best QB in the 2012 draft (Luck)

the best RB in the 2012 draft (Richardson)

the best WR in the 2012 draft (Hilton)

the best TE in the 2012 draft (Allen)

and the best half court shooting player in the 2012 draft (Harnish)

Jury is still out on practically all of those. I don't think we'll be second guessing the decision to draft Luck no matter what. 

Richardson's rookie year was surpassed by both Morris and Martin. Hilton is probably the best WR, but Reuben Randle has been good this season. Allen is probably the best tight end, but Fleener looked awesome last week. Harnish is undeniably the best half court shot in the league.

All arrows are pointing up, though. I definitely like the haul we got.

Says who? You? There was plenty talk about him being the best rb in the nfl. So I'm going with that till I see otherwise

There is plenty of talk of him being overdrafted as well .... I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone (expert or fan) who actually believes Trent Richardson is better than AP ... I know you can't seriously think Richardson is a better RB than AP.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Jury is still out on practically all of those. I don't think we'll be second guessing the decision to draft Luck no matter what. 

Richardson's rookie year was surpassed by both Morris and Martin. Hilton is probably the best WR, but Reuben Randle has been good this season. Allen is probably the best tight end, but Fleener looked awesome last week. Harnish is undeniably the best half court shot in the league.

All arrows are pointing up, though. I definitely like the haul we got.

I agree the jury is still out...but If I had my pick at any one of these guys at their respective positions I would take all Colts players. Martin and morris had better rookie years, but Richardson is the better talent (and by a large margin) in my opinion.

Well I don't know if comparing his speed to two of the best runners in the game is exactly a fair assessment. He's not the absolute fastest guy in the league, but he has plenty of speed and will run past plenty of defenders. But more importantly, he can get through the hole and finish, and that's what a back spends 95% of his time doing.

And I disagree with the assessment that Richardson isn't special. I think he is. Not Peterson special, of course, but I think he has the stuff to be a premiere back in the league for several years. I don't care about his YPC because that's not a clear indication of his abilities. The Browns faced stacked boxes very often last season, he was a little nicked up, and he was a rookie. And don't forget that he had his knee scoped last offseason. He was never 100%. I think Richardson has a lot more to offer than what he's done so far.

Richardson is much better than Ballard. I like Ballard, but he's just a regular back. And he's going to be coming back from a major injury. Bradshaw is a one year rental, and has never been a workhorse back, and he's not quite 100% himself. After this season, we'll have Ballard and Richardson still under contract, and that's a nice 1-2 punch. I wouldn't have given up a first rounder, personally, because of his position, but I think the improvement he'll bring is undeniable, and very valuable to our team.

Lastly, a lot of people have been saying that the Colts want to run more. I think the proper way to say it is that the Colts want to run better, more effectively, and they expect that to pay dividends in terms of offensive efficiency and help keep the defense on the sidelines.

Agreed. Also that ypc depends on WRs and TEs blocking down field and we don't know how good the Browns were at blocking with the skill position players. I'm not sure but it would be interesting to see if we have had a back bring 10 tds rushing since Edge left.

There is plenty of talk of him being overdrafted as well .... I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone (expert or fan) who actually believes Trent Richardson is better than AP ... I know you can't seriously think Richardson is a better RB than AP.

Maybe not better but in the talks of the best. I'm sure I can find you just as many saying he is, as you can saying he isn't. But the way people are going crazy is just silly.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Maybe not better but in the talks of the best. I'm sure I can find you just as many saying he is, as you can saying he isn't. But the way people are going crazy is just silly.

No one in their right mind would say TRich is on All Day's level.  But TRich is younger, alot younger, and to be honest Richardson may already be a better receiver than Ap ever was.  Ap was never the greatest back on 3rd down and consistently left the field on 3rd and long.  TRich is without question an every down back.

I dont think you would be able to find hardly any informed experts/fans who currently (not opinion before TR was drafted) think TR is better or even near equal to AP.

I am not going crazy ... I don't like the trade, and probably would not have said much more about it than that if everyone was not coming out of the woodwork acting like this is the greatest trade in the history of the NFL, and won't even consider the possibility that there is a chance it may not work out well.

Those are fair points. Richardson comes in as a question mark as we really don't know his potential given he was on the Browns. Not sure the Colts Oline is a great line for him either but defenses will respect Luck so that should help him.

His injuries are worrisome I think and are more common for work horse RBs.  

I think you also have to consider the Browns trading him given they are rebuilding like the Colts. I realize they need a QB but their own number pick would have given them that so it would seem they wanted to move Richardson. I am sure more will leak out over the next few days on why they were not keen on him.

There is the potential for this deal to work out nicely but personally I would rather see the #1 be used on finding the next Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, etc. You can get a quality, work horse RB in the mid rounds of the draft.

The Browns just signed Magahee. Colts could have done that as well but wanted to go for the gold. At the very least, you have to respect the bold move.

Those are fair points. Richardson comes in as a question mark as we really don't know his potential given he was on the Browns. Not sure the Colts Oline is a great line for him either but defenses will respect Luck so that should help him.

His injuries are worrisome I think and are more common for work horse RBs.  

I think you also have to consider the Browns trading him given they are rebuilding like the Colts. I realize they need a QB but their own number pick would have given them that so it would seem they wanted to move Richardson. I am sure more will leak out over the next few days on why they were not keen on him.

There is the potential for this deal to work out nicely but personally I would rather see the #1 be used on finding the next Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, etc. You can get a quality, work horse RB in the mid rounds of the draft.

The Browns just signed Magahee. Colts could have done that as well but wanted to go for the gold. At the very least, you have to respect the bold move.

^^^This (I am out of likes) ... especially Bold underlined

My posting of comments was done to merely provide some more input , i thought other GM's point of view may be of use to some as u dont always get that but then again they may be jealous they didnt get a second chance for Trent

Even GMs get it wrong from time to time. If you told me the quote was from the Jags Gm, I'd tell the author he was stupid for quoting him for supporting his argument. Simple fact of the matteris, some cms would make this trade and others wouldn't. No different than the convo currently taking place on this forum.

Add to that the fact we have a Hall of Fame WR and a couple of promising tightends and I am very stoked about our offensive weapons going forward.  If we get any kind of line play at all our offense is going to be a nightmare to stop over the next couple of years.

Sure, you can find backs in the later rounds, but it's not as easy as it seems. If you actually go back and look at all of the backs taken in the later rounds, there are numerous misses for every Arian Foster or Alfred Morris. Just ask the Packers. They've been looking for years and finally invested half of their draft to find a running back. They had to get Lacy and Franklin early to address their run problems.

OK, it's worth pointing out that what the Colts are on the hook for in terms of Richardson's salary over the next 3 years is pretty much what a mid-to-late first round pick would cost including signing bonus (though in that case it would be a 4 year deal).

So here's the relevant question to determine whether it's smart to trade a future draft pick for a guy who was recently drafted and is still young enough that the age difference is negligible.

If I offered you either Trent Richardson, or, for the same amount of money but one more year, a player picked entirely at random from the following list, which would you choose?  For reference, the following list is players who were picked 16-24th overall in 2011 and 2012.

Ryan Kerrigan
Nate Solder
Corey Liuget
Prince Amukamara
Adrian Clayborn
Phil Taylor
Anthony Castonzo
Danny Watkins
Cameron Jordan
Quinton Coples
Dre Kirkpatrick
Melvin Ingram
Shea McClellan
Kendall Wright
Chandler Jones
Brandon Weeden
Riley Reiff
David DeCastro

From the list and I would not hesitate

I don't think he is going to let you pick the player you want from the list(that would not make his point). I think you have to take a player that is picked randomly by some method ... dice, etc ...  Because if we got to choose anyone we wanted from the list most everyone would choose the list (or I hope they would).

Personally I think it's like offering you $100, or letting you blindly pick whatever is in one of an assortment of 16 jars, where like 3 or 4 of the jars have $120 or $130 in them, but half the jars are filled with spiders.

You can't do that or you are taking the human factor completely out of it ... according to the majority of the board Grigson is a master of evaluating talent and is capable of getting us starting OL or a WR to replace Wayne in later rounds.  IF he is capable of that than surely he would make a magnificent choice with 16th-24th pick. People can't have it both ways.