Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

I'm officially starting to question Grigson's competency at his position. This was a stupid trade. Backs are a dime a dozen. Who trades for running backs anymore, let alone for a first round pick? My optimism for this season has plummeted between this, Dwayne Allen and Donald Thomas being lost for the year. This was purely a panick move, and tells me we don't really have much of a plan or vision for this team going forward

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the Richardson haters... I don't get it. Last season as injured player he was extremely productive.

This season, you knew all teams were going to make him the focal point going into the games and naturally he wouldn't be as productive with no passing game.

Before you guys all start grading Grigg's GM ability, why not let this season fold out to see who got the better deal?

And this is coming from a guy who hates Bama/Saban.

I'm officially starting to question Grigson's competency at his position. This was a stupid trade. Backs are a dime a dozen. Who trades for running backs anymore, let alone for a first round pick? My optimism for this season has plummeted between this, Dwayne Allen and Donald Thomas being lost for the year. This was purely a panick move, and tells me we don't really have much of a plan or vision for this team going forward

Grigson is seriously questioning your loyalty as a fan!

Wow......ate dinner on it and I am still shocked. What a strange week full of ups and downs. Sunday's loss, losing 3 guys on offense.....and now this?

I admit, the potential this could bring to our offense has me stoked. Not too many teams have this type of RB on their team.....

But, if we don't make the playoffs people will really complain....

Maybe they did but if I was the Browns GM , I would have played poker with Grigson and held out for a 1 and 3 in the hopes that Irsay would interfere and make additional concessions. The Browns are done anyway , and Irsay wants to win badly this year and are desperate for a running back. The Browns should have had the upper hand, and if they didn't get a 1 and 3 , not just make the move. Because he is young and a former top 5 first round pick, that is how I would have played it.

And I'm sure Grigson would have freaked and given into to demands. People aren't stupid

I think when teams gang up on the run , RB's have a harder time breaking tackles as there are usually more than one defender hitting them. Weedon and Cleveland had a miserable time throwing the ball last year. Also I thought the broken ribs were last year and not this year. In any event you get Richardson and give up "you'll never know." So unless Richardson breaks out . it will be really hard to evaluate. I like it but I can understand why some have reservations.

Come on now are u guy's saying that our o-line is worst than the browns?

Wow......ate dinner on it and I am still shocked. What a strange week full of ups and downs. Sunday's loss, losing 3 guys on offense.....and now this?

I admit, the potential this could bring to our offense has me stoked. Not too many teams have this type of RB on their team.....

But, if we don't make the playoffs people will really complain....

I don't think Richardson will propel us to the playoffs.  We have too many holes other than RB.  We will be set for the next couple of years at RB though. 

People are freaking out about losing our 1st rd pick...but here's a thought.  Next year, during the draft if a Stud O-lineman is there that our Front Office wants, we can always trade back into the first using our future picks.  We don't need as many players next year after all the moves we made this year, so quality over quantity will more likely by the strategy.  I agree a 1st rd pick for a RB is a stretch but he may still be better than anyone we would end up getting next year in the 15-25 range, so I think people may be overreacting a little about the value of the trade.  

bingo, the trade is perfect ...I'm a computer GM like everyone else on here.

Some of you guys are just so ungrateful :facepalm:

I understand we need an oline, but look at who we just got for only a 1st rounder which will probably be in the 20's.

Think of it like this, in the 2012 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts selected Andrew Luck at #1 & Trent Richardson at #3

I would have puked

i think you nay sayers are wrong on this one. Richardson has been nicked up and playing for a team where opponents played mostly 8 in the box. He should be better than what we would have available in 2014 draft. I wonder how much of the 13 mill in signing bonus the Browns eat ? I looked at various cap sites and cannot find anything more than 13 mill prorated over 4 years. Could it be that they have to eat the whole bonus ? I don't see anything that says part was a roster bonus in later years.....

ESPN said earlier that the Browns eat the Bonus

where is his "proven potential" coming from???

Your absolutely right...he has no proven potential...in fact the only reason he was the #3 pick is because his mom threatened the browns organization and they ultimately had to trade up to get him or she would tell the whole world what a losing organization they were.

EDIT: in addition she also said that she would make sure that none of their players would ever be eligible or allowed to do Cambell's chunky soup commercials....and that was the final straw that made the browns cave and trade up to select him.

I like the trade. At first, I was iffy about it because we had Bradshaw & Brown and they both were having a good season, but this is definitely a trade that makes sense with the power running philosophy and he has tremendous upside.

First round picks are overrated unless they are top 10 picks, and even then, it is a 50/50 on if the player is good.

No doubt that Richardson is a pro bowl caliber RB which will help take some pressure off Luck. I imagine that even if Ballard didn't get hurt, people would still be wanting to bring in a RB with a first round pick. 

Richardson's issues are the injury concerns, which is HUGE for our team, because it seems like we have players getting injured all the time, and all starters. 

No TDs arent overrated. Scoring TDs are.

Is banking a carry in the red-zone for 1 yards really that impressive?

One season could be an aberration, true. But on a longer time scale it could mean he's the guy you trust to finish off the drive. Measurables indicate he could be that guy for us.

So to answer your question, yes, if a player does it consistently.

Thats just it, if it don't fix the problem, why do it? It would be different if we were a good RB away from being a top running team, but in no way, shape, or form is that the case.

I think that's a narrow viewpoint. We spent significant resources on the line. I think it will take time for our moves to pay off. Thornton and Holmes have a chance to do big things moving forward. Thomas will be back. McGlynn will be gone. The line is on the way up. Hopefully. And we have cap space if we want to add another veteran next year.

Having a potential top five back is a good thing. And I think it's independent of trying to improve the line.

and we got a top talent, first round pick, and will not pay ANY signing bonus...with the new rookie wage scale, that saves us a big chunk of money!  And he is a feature back, not just a "good enough" back...we haven't had one of those since Edge hurt his knee! And he's about the same age as Luck and our entire draft class from last year...that will let them ALL grow together and hopefully have great careers together, with several Super Bowl wins

I do not know what to think of this trade yet.

In this league running backs have very little value given their life expectancies in the league. Every year the value of the position has gone down hill so I worry about giving a very valuable first round pick especially considering this team is rebuilding still. We are not in a win now mode because we are far from a contender. Also, his contract will be something to think about considering teams really do not what to invest that much in them.

On he flip side he should open things up for Luck. Donald Brown was not a real threat at all and Trent will force defenses to respect him and Luck can just audible out of bad passes and eat up yards with the run. Then we can implement the play action more. Also, we have to remember that Bradshaw is only on a one year deal, Ballard will be coming off an ACL tear and Donald will probably not be on the roster.

If Trent still averages 3.6 yards per carry and continues to be injury prone is a really bad trade or it could be really great if he years it up.

Gonna need some time to digest this one.  Can't really say it was a terrible pick.  He's a 2nd year guy, I mean, it's not like we gave up a first for a 28 year old.  And if we end up middle of the draft next year, probably would have been a steal, but we gotta hit on our later draft picks.

Ah, I see your looking at it from a logical standpoint eh?

Everyone crying about this obviously forgot how complimentary Edge was to Manning.

Both these guys are 22. Give them 2 seasons together and they will be the best QB/RB tandem in the league. They will grow and get better together. As long as they stay healthy, the rest of the league better be on notice.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We still have our 2nd, 3rd round picks and 35 mil in cap space next year. With players like Alex Mack, Jeremy Macklin,  Orakpo,Nicks,Decker, available in free agency. We just got a franchise RB with top 5 potential for a pick that will be in the late teens or 20's, this is a steal.

I'm keeping my eye on Maclin.  The way philly's offense is playing they may feel they don't need to resign him, and because of his injury he should come relatively cheap.  Of course he may never get his burst back that makes him so good in the first place.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Everyone crying about this obviously forgot how complimentary Edge was to Manning.

Both these guys are 22. Give them 2 seasons together and they will be the best QB/RB tandem in the league. They will grow and get better together. As long as they stay healthy, the rest of the league better be on notice.

Luck just turned 24 but I agree with the rest of what you said.  My biggest problem with the Colts last year, and so far this year, is the severe lack of pass plays to the RB.  Trent is arguably already one of the best receiving backs in the league.  Obviously Luck still has to throw it to the RB but now he has a good reason to.