Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

I'M seriously questioning my loyalty as a fan, at this point

I hear Cleveland has a first round pick.  Get in on the ground floor.   :P

Like I said, it depends if you think the Colts were a RB away from the SB THIS year. I don't think they were/are.

He's 22 years old.  You do realize we get him for more than one year?  I don't think we'll win a super bowl and I love this trade.  Sure you can find good rbs in free agency, but generally with lots of mileage.  This guy's young and a potential superstar.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Startng Excerpts of

A first-round pick for Trent Richardson? No-brainer for Browns

I think it's pretty fair to base an opinion of a trade off of the unsolicited opinions that tend to trickle in. And the overwhelming majority of the texts, calls and emails I received from GMs, scouts and execs was that the Browns did very well in this trade.

Receiving a first-round pick for a running back is pretty good work in this day and age, even for one who was a recent top-five pick.

One exec I respect deeply, who has watched Richardson closely during his brief NFL career, expressed his initial reaction to this deal: "The Colts panicked. A first-round pick? I don't believe it."

A scout who did plenty of work on Richardson was flabbergasted by the deal: "Weird trade by Indy," he sent via text. "A first for an adequate back with injury issues? They could get that player next year in the mid to late rounds. Get an adequate dude for a later pick. Everyone has depth at that position."

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

I was in contact with a few team sources who had running backs on their roster who are expendable, and all said they never got a call from the Colts to explore what it would take to get their guys. "I wish I had [called the Colts]," one noted, "especially after seeing this trade."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-first-round-pick-for-trent-richardson-no-brainer-for-browns

PRISCO

Colts trade for Trent Richardson is a bold, but bad, move

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23719714/colts-trade-for-richardson-is-a-bold-but-bad-move

Wow....I haven't felt so many emotions over a Colts trade since Marshall Faulk. 

I was in shock for quite awhile, and didn't believe it. 

Then I was mad because I thought we needed O-Linemen, not a RB. 

Then I was sad for Donald Brown (only slightly lol) 

Now I'm happy because I thought....you know......Richardson and Bradshaw in the backfield.....that two headed monster is pretty fantastical. 

I am still in shock

Run Trent, Run....!!!

Like I said, it depends if you think the Colts were a RB away from the SB THIS year. I don't think they were/are.

So this all happened in the early hours of the morning for me, missed about 10 pages of this thread. I also had to check this morning I hadn't dreamed the trade! After wading through the previous pages and had a bit of time to reflect my thoughts are:

• Like a lot I was a bit hmm about giving up a 1st, especially for a RB, but the perception of this will change depending on where we pick. Whether this is the correct perception or not comes down to you own draft philosophy. I agree with a number of people that a 1st rounder is no guarantee of hitting on the pick but it does increase your chance.
  • Somewhat linked to the above but if Richardson (TRich/Trent/TDog) performs well here then people will see it as a good value trade. The question then is where do we set the bar in terms of performance, 1000 yards? I don't expect us to have landed a Peterson, but a solid back say at a Charles/Forte level could really help push this O onto the next level. Time will tell and hindsight will be applied in all revisionist history of this trade :P.
  • People have pointed at his stats being underwhelming and I can see the point being made but I do think teams stacked the box to  him and I do think he's never been fully fit as yet. Also a change of coaching etc may work wonders, especially if he wasn't feeling loved in Cleveland. Add in actually having QB that teams have to respect and I think he can improve and also help Luck improve. Especially as he's not a bad pass blocker.
  • Though I don't think our O line is the finished article by any means they have looked good with the run game at least. 
  • With the Browns swallowing the bonus he's a pretty good cap value player IMO.

Overall it's a time will judge trade, if it comes off Grigson is a genius, if it doesn't and whoever the Browns take with our pick pays off it will be shoved in our face. As a fan I'm happy, I like Richardson as a player but taking the blue tinted glasses off I think it's a heck of a gamble. I still firmly believe too almost no RB is worth a 1st rounder in the modern game. 

When Trent blows up and becomes the star that many including numerous NFL GM's know he can be. I don't want to hear one * word out of any of you who don't like this pickup. We traded a high teens/20's 1st round pick next year for a TOP RB in this league that is extremely young. Sure many of you undervalue the RB position which is reasonable considering 99% are average/mediocre. Trent is in that 1% thats special. Sure we could have drafted a young OL next year, but OL takes time to develop. This made us better now, for great value. What you are witnessing in something that does not happen very often. A QB/RB duo that are both tops at their positions, and both will reap the rewards for it. These is always FA to get ESTABLISHED offensive linemen who will minimize our risk. I agree with anyone who said that some of you overate picks, because you do. I want the proven commodity who just so happens to be only in his 2nd year. 

Literally haven't played a game yet with him on this roster and all people can do is cry cry cry. Some of you will never be happy in this entire world no matter what happens, and I pity you for it. 

Regardless if you're doubting the trade or are all for it, we just can't know how this trade works out until later on down the road.  Yeah a 1st round pick is a hefty price to pay, but it could end up being a very good trade for us down the road.  Could be the opposite.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Regardless if you're doubting the trade or are all for it, we just can't know how this trade works out until later on down the road.  Yeah a 1st round pick is a hefty price to pay, but it could end up being a very good trade for us down the road.  Could be the opposite.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Agreed

No one will know for a while

I'm good with this trade, so long as we don't have a top 10 draft pick. Anything past that is a crap shoot anyways.

Regardless people would complain that whoever we took with the number 1 pick, wasn't the guy they wanted anyways so. Status quo met?

That's a little dramatic no?

Well, makes it hard to root for a team when, lately, every move they make (or don't make) leaves you annoyed scratching your head. I hope he turns out to look like a genius in the end, but right now, trading a 1st for any RB not named Adrian Peterson is beyond absurd, in this day in age. You're more likely to find a game changer at running back in later rounds or undrafted-free agents, than you are to find a game changing trench player in those same rounds. We need linemen at this point, not more skill players. It was a panick move and didn't make much sense. I'm sure Richardson will be a fine back, but he's not worth that price 

Well, makes it hard to root for a team when, lately, every move they make (or don't make) leaves you annoyed scratching your head. I hope he turns out to look like a genius in the end, but right now, trading a 1st for any RB not named Adrian Peterson is beyond absurd, in this day in age. You're more likely to find a game changer at running back in later rounds or undrafted-free agents, than you are to find a game changing trench player in those same rounds. We need linemen at this point, not more skill players. It was a panick move and didn't make much sense. I'm sure Richardson will be a fine back, but he's not worth that price

Understandable.

I only think the price was too high if we end up being a bottom 10 team. Other than that I don't see the problem. People hate Werner so it's not like the number 1 this year would be a unanimous choice.

But if he churns out top 3 pick play/production. This move was a steal. Time will tell though I suppose.

Yes, we agree on this one completely. When I said he was not fast. i was talking about game changing speed like Lynch or Peterson:

It's not that Richardson can't be a productive back for the Colts. He's clearly their best option after starter Vick Ballard sustained a season-ending knee injury. It's just that Richardson isn't special. He averaged 3.6 yards per carry in his first season (granted, he didn't have much help) and he didn't have the explosive speed to be a game-breaker. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9691534/trent-richardson-game-changer

I think what is concerning about this deal is that the Colts have good RBs currently and Ballard will be back next year. To give a number one NOW is that part that does not make sense. I don't see the Colts contending this year which would be the only reason to do this deal if you felt the team was one stud RB away from making the SB. I would more expected this deal from the Broncos who could use a stud RB to make a legit run in the playoffs as defenses will take away/slow down Manning's passing attack.

I also agree about not giving a number one for any RB. But still there is a part of me that gets the fact that the OC wants to run more but I think the Colts could have accomplished that with the guys they have and even moreso next season when Ballard is back.

i have reached my like quota, so i have to clutter the thread with the old way of agreeing with a post.

So this all happened in the early hours of the morning for me, missed about 10 pages of this thread. I also had to check this morning I hadn't dreamed the trade! After wading through the previous pages and had a bit of time to reflect my thoughts are:

• Like a lot I was a bit hmm about giving up a 1st, especially for a RB, but the perception of this will change depending on where we pick. Whether this is the correct perception or not comes down to you own draft philosophy. I agree with a number of people that a 1st rounder is no guarantee of hitting on the pick but it does increase your chance.
  • Somewhat linked to the above but if Richardson (TRich/Trent/TDog) performs well here then people will see it as a good value trade. The question then is where do we set the bar in terms of performance, 1000 yards? I don't expect us to have landed a Peterson, but a solid back say at a Charles/Forte level could really help push this O onto the next level. Time will tell and hindsight will be applied in all revisionist history of this trade :P.
  • People have pointed at his stats being underwhelming and I can see the point being made but I do think teams stacked the box to  him and I do think he's never been fully fit as yet. Also a change of coaching etc may work wonders, especially if he wasn't feeling loved in Cleveland. Add in actually having QB that teams have to respect and I think he can improve and also help Luck improve. Especially as he's not a bad pass blocker.
  • Though I don't think our O line is the finished article by any means they have looked good with the run game at least. 
  • With the Browns swallowing the bonus he's a pretty good cap value player IMO.

Overall it's a time will judge trade, if it comes off Grigson is a genius, if it doesn't and whoever the Browns take with our pick pays off it will be shoved in our face. As a fan I'm happy, I like Richardson as a player but taking the blue tinted glasses off I think it's a heck of a gamble. I still firmly believe too almost no RB is worth a 1st rounder in the modern game. 

i have reached my like quota, so i have to clutter the thread with the old way of agreeing with a post.

Startng Excerpts of

A first-round pick for Trent Richardson? No-brainer for Browns

I think it's pretty fair to base an opinion of a trade off of the unsolicited opinions that tend to trickle in. And the overwhelming majority of the texts, calls and emails I received from GMs, scouts and execs was that the Browns did very well in this trade.

Receiving a first-round pick for a running back is pretty good work in this day and age, even for one who was a recent top-five pick.

One exec I respect deeply, who has watched Richardson closely during his brief NFL career, expressed his initial reaction to this deal: "The Colts panicked. A first-round pick? I don't believe it."

A scout who did plenty of work on Richardson was flabbergasted by the deal: "Weird trade by Indy," he sent via text. "A first for an adequate back with injury issues? They could get that player next year in the mid to late rounds. Get an adequate dude for a later pick. Everyone has depth at that position."

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

I was in contact with a few team sources who had running backs on their roster who are expendable, and all said they never got a call from the Colts to explore what it would take to get their guys. "I wish I had [called the Colts]," one noted, "especially after seeing this trade."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-first-round-pick-for-trent-richardson-no-brainer-for-browns

PRISCO

Colts trade for Trent Richardson is a bold, but bad, move

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/23719714/colts-trade-for-richardson-is-a-bold-but-bad-move

than you for posting this!

i couldn't have agreed more with what these professionals, not fans, bloggers, or reporters are saying!

than you for posting this!

i couldn't have agreed more with what these professionals, not fans, bloggers, or reporters are saying!

Would these be the same professionals who graded out Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf as "A tough pick between who to draft?"

I hear Cleveland has a first round pick.  Get in on the ground floor.   :P

He's 22 years old.  You do realize we get him for more than one year?  I don't think we'll win a super bowl and I love this trade.  Sure you can find good rbs in free agency, but generally with lots of mileage.  This guy's young and a potential superstar.

Let me ask you, was RB a position of need? This year or going forward with Ballard coming back? I can think of several positions that would be better for the Colts to have spent a number one on.

Second, it is interesting that the Browns who are rebuilding and in the same position the Colts were a season ago have let him go to get two first rounders next year to rebuild the team. If not for Luck, the Colts would have the same outlook as the Browns right now. I think building the lines is of utmost importance but then again the Colts have always had a penchant for wanting the skill guys first.

He's a very good RB and glad he's on the team. I wish it didn't cost us a 1st round pick ( im ok with that though )

but I have other questions.

Is our coaching staff not open to changing their schemes to fit the players we have? We ran an "air it out" type offense last year and our players were used to it, are they willing to lean in that direction? Do they view a prodominately power run offense as something absolutely necessary to in in today's NFL?

people keep saying "he was the third pick in the draft" but you have to remember it was the BROWN'S top pick. they have had such a good track record with their high first round picks, and they have had a lot of them. i believe they have the worst track record in the nfl! i for one don't want to be picking up the browns crumb's, at least not for top draft picks.

Let me ask you, was RB a position of need? This year or going forward with Ballard coming back? I can think of several positions that would be better for the Colts to have spent a number one on.

Second, it is interesting that the Browns who are rebuilding and in the same position the Colts were a season ago have let him go to get two first rounders next year to rebuild the team. If not for Luck, the Colts would have the same outlook as the Browns right now. I think building the lines is of utmost importance but then again the Colts have always had a penchant for wanting the skill guys first.

Yes, RB was a position of dire need.  Bradshaw, good as he is, hasn't played a full season in his entire career and Donald Brown is a dumpster fire in pass protection.  Our rotation would have been fine with Ballard, but when he went down we were in real trouble.  And we were going to need to address the position next year anyway.  Now we have a cheap starter in Richardson, a solid no.2 in Ballard, and we can afford to drop free agent cash on the line or the defense, or wherever we want really.  

So far the line looks okay run blocking.  I think (and apparently Grigson does too) that we lack the talent at running back to make plays behind it.  We may be set at tackles, our needs are at the interior line positions and we drafted guys this year who we hope will grow into starting roles.  If not guards and centers can be had later in the draft or in free agency anyway.

Even if Richardson is just a solid starter moving forward, this trade allows us to address other team weaknesses in the future and address a huge concern immediately this season.

1. Bradshaw is only here for a year, more than likely, so tell me, who on this squad is better than Richardson? How about in the draft next year?

2. The Colts have new faces all the way across the D-line. Its probably the most talented front we've had in YEARS. There are A LOT of new faces working together. It's going to take a couple of weeks to get them to gel, but I'm more pointing to our DC for a portion of the issues as well.

3. Grigson could very well have went about trying to upgrade the O-line but came back with nothing that he felt he could invest in. So, back to #1, with Bradshaw probably leaving next year and Ballard coming off an ACL injury, who would the Colts look to? Brown? God no.. Williams? Yes, lets give our undersized 7th round pick from this year the starting gig /sarcasm. So yes, Richardson would fill a need, a future need. On top of that the Colts are getting him for a 1/3 of what Cleveland paid for him. 2 of the top 3 offensive players from last year are now on the Colts, for pretty much peanuts, for the next 3 years.

Sorry, but where did the Colts go wrong in this???

If not for Luck, #18 is still here so no we wouldn't have the same outlook as the Browns. True we'd both have 37* year old QBs but ours wouldn't be 2nd year player and would also you know, be able to play QB. 

*Some facts may have be distorted for comedic effect, your The value of players or production from them may go down as well as up. As players are valued from second to second, their trade value and endorsement value fluctuates sometimes widely. The value of players may rise or fall due to the volatility of GMs/Owners, solar activity and Tebow jersey values or, for players from overseas markets, due to changes in the exchange rate in the currency in which the players are denominated. You may not get back the amount of pick value you invested.

Would these be the same professionals who graded out Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf as "A tough pick between who to draft?"

nothing is 100%, but i have more faith in someone that's payed to be right about these things, over people who's lively-hood doesn't depend on being right about these things.

If not for Luck, #18 is still here so no we wouldn't have the same outlook as the Browns. True we'd both have 37* year old QBs but ours wouldn't be 2nd year player and would also you know, be able to play QB. 

*Some facts may have be distorted for comedic effect, your The value of players or production from them may go down as well as up. As players are valued from second to second, their trade value and endorsement value fluctuates sometimes widely. The value of players may rise or fall due to the volatility of GMs/Owners, solar activity and Tebow jersey values or, for players from overseas markets, due to changes in the exchange rate in the currency in which the players are denominated. You may not get back the amount of pick value you invested.

If no Luck then you would have had RG. ;)

If no Luck then you would have had RG. ;)

That would have been bad considering how much we get our QBs beat up.........

I don't know, it's all conjecture but sans Luck I think maybe they trade back, as I got the impression Irsay was not a fan of Griffin and there are reports they had Wilson on the radar for after the 1st round. Either way getting into the N "if" L territory and I wouldn't want to lend the concept any credibility :P  

people keep saying "he was the third pick in the draft" but you have to remember it was the BROWN'S top pick. they have had such a good track record with their high first round picks, and they have had a lot of them. i believe they have the worst track record in the nfl! i for one don't want to be picking up the browns crumb's, at least not for top draft picks.

Exactly...  and he was 3rd Pick BECAUSE  Luck and RGIII  were #1 and #2...

And for those who mistook my earlier post   Run Trent, Run....  for something else.

He's Running Back,   I was meaning   Run for the Goal Post,  Run for :td:    Run Trent, Run.

Go COLTS.   This is a positive move. IMO

When Trent blows up and becomes the star that many including numerous NFL GM's know he can be. I don't want to hear one * word out of any of you who don't like this pickup. We traded a high teens/20's 1st round pick next year for a TOP RB in this league that is extremely young. Sure many of you undervalue the RB position which is reasonable considering 99% are average/mediocre. Trent is in that 1% thats special. Sure we could have drafted a young OL next year, but OL takes time to develop. This made us better now, for great value. What you are witnessing in something that does not happen very often. A QB/RB duo that are both tops at their positions, and both will reap the rewards for it. These is always FA to get ESTABLISHED offensive linemen who will minimize our risk. I agree with anyone who said that some of you overate picks, because you do. I want the proven commodity who just so happens to be only in his 2nd year. 

Literally haven't played a game yet with him on this roster and all people can do is cry cry cry. Some of you will never be happy in this entire world no matter what happens, and I pity you for it.

Well, there is a rational response.....

Colts have never been able to do that.  Call it unlucky, call it bad scouting, but all of our best running backs have been drafted with the first 4 picks (Faulk #2, Edge #4).  The rest have been from good to marginal to terrible.  Addai had a good first two seasons and then fizzled out.  We just haven't done it in the draft with RBs in later rounds.  So in that regard, this trade makes sense. 

And with the new rookie wage scale, you're going to see more and more linemen taken in the 1st round.  It used to be that taking a G or C in the first round was insane because you'd overpay for them, unless it was in the late first.  Now, this year, how many OL were drafted? 5 in the top 10. FIVE.  6 if you include the 11th pick.  That leaves hit-or-miss talent on the line from mid-first round and on.  So unless we just flop this year, a 7-9 record puts us around the 14th-17th pick.  If we had that pick this year, the next drafted linemen at each position - Justin Pugh, T (#19), Kyle Long G (#20), Travis Frederick C (#31), were classified as somewhat risky, but potentially high dividends.  That's about the same risk as drafting an RB in the later rounds if you ask me.