Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

Who was the Vikings QB then?  Besides, it's all about the YPC and vision.  AD trumps Trent bigtime in both.

The Browns record, sure.  He's a good goal line back and he certainly runs with power.  As I said, I just don't trust his vision.

Got me on the riddle.  I can think of a few well-regarded backs with similar slow starts but not with those exact numbers.  It's not like Trent can't conceivably become a Hall of Famer, my estimation of him just has that first round pick being a bit too risky for my liking.  I have him pegged as a Knowshon Moreno kind of player at present.

As for why I was watching him... when you have Game Rewind you can choose to VERY quickly watch a large selection of plays from a single player.  Last year I decided I wanted to look at Trent before we played them late in the season.  He didn't wow me.

I find it odd that you guys are so defensive about the kid already.  I'm not just hating for the sake of it.  heck, I think pretty highly of Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw (if he's healthy).  Just was never on the Richardson hypetrain.

It was OJ. 

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Here's an idea...come up with a list of RBs you would rather have than Trich...say Ad, Foster, Rice, Lynch, CJ2K, whoever. Now of all those RBs, would anyone want the qb's on those teams over Luck...I wouldn't...My point is we might have the best QB/RB duo in the entire NFL.  The only one that even comes close is Ryan/Jackson, and maybe Cutler/Forte.  

a lot of backs dont get a D to stack 7 in the box.  Now they wont do that anymore, how can you not see that this will only improve both sides of our offense?  No one was scared of old man Bradshaw or GD Brown.  Now coordinators have to plan accordingly for both run and pass.

And this really wasnt a heavy investment, I completely disagree with you there.  Both from a financial standpoint and from a draft standpoint.  Second round OL choices will be fine. 

I had a strange feeling we were going to gamble AGAIN with a first round RB pick anyways.  Now we have a semi-proven stud who can only get better instead of languishing with Lombardi and Banner at the Factory of Sadness.

I definitely think it will help. I would have just rather spent that first rounder on a pass rusher, MLB, WR, or LT....or used that first rounder to trade for another position other than RB. I just don't place high value on running backs, but we can agree to disagree.

Here's an idea...come up with a list of RBs you would rather have than Trich...say Ad, Foster, Rice, Lynch, CJ2K, whoever. Now of all those RBs, would anyone want the qb's on those teams over Luck...I wouldn't...My point is we might have the best QB/RB duo in the entire NFL.  The only one that even comes close is Ryan/Jackson, and maybe Cutler/Forte.

Wilson/Lynch, Kaepernick/Gore

HW_dogs_surprised.jpgWAAAAAAHHHH?????

Gotta admit this was pretty darn funny!

No such thing anymore. Adrian Peterson is the lone exception.

Now, sure but you could add Walter Payton AKA "Sweetness" to that list too. A Beast in 1985! 

And the remainder of the Browns' fan base are now leaping off of bridges.

Only if Joe Thomas was included as well. 

I have not read through all 5 pages so apologies if I am saying something that has already been said. But this deal is a real head scratcher. A first rounder for a RB? Does Irasy really think the Colts are going to contend this year? Ballard will be back next year, right? Why give up the first rounder for this season? Could have used that on a stud OL.

Yeah, a RB is only as good as the holes that are created for him. Even "Sweetness" needed a crease of daylight. 

I hope this works out. No running back can make it without blocking. The Colts' OL hasn't been very good in that respect. 

Bingo! Right there...Blocking is essential. I don't care how strong or athletic your workhorse is. With no open road, the game is over before it even begins...

Some of you guys are just so ungrateful :facepalm:

I understand we need an oline, but look at who we just got for only a 1st rounder which will probably be in the 20's.

Think of it like this, in the 2012 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts selected Andrew Luck at #1 & Trent Richardson at #3

I know, people don't understand how good this is for the Colts, in the forum and in the media. People will never be happy unless you give up a 7th rounder for JJ Watt. But I was thinking the exact same thing about us basically having two picks in the top 5. This is the equivalent of getting Cam Newton and AJ Green (both top 5 selections, also).

the move to get richardson was not all about THIS year.  look at it this way.  we drafted a RB in the first round of next years draft but get to play him this year and he has a year of experience already.  Next year, after drafting/signing a few more OLineman, we could be scary good.

option A:  take a Olineman in the first and stick with Bradshaw, Ballard (after knee surgery), and a FA RB (that a team didnt want and has to choose to come to Indy)

option B: improve Oline through FA (i think is much easier to do than RB) and have TRENT RICHARDSON at RB with Bradshaw as backup (maybe).

I choose option B.  

That does not make it any better ... I would not want to draft a RB in the 1st round any year ... The fact T Richardson was drafted #3 doesn't mean anything except that he was overdrafted.

Who was the Vikings QB then?  Besides, it's all about the YPC and vision.  AD trumps Trent bigtime in both.

So you want to ignore everything but YPC.  First, I never made the argument that T-Rich was Peterson.  I just said that both Peterson and Richardson were asked to carry the same load.  And Richardson came close.   Second, AD's QB was Travaris Jackson.  If you wanna make the argument that Jackson is better than Weeden, be my guest...simple fact of the matter is, you're coming across as irrational.  Rich ain't not AP, but he's good enough to make the trade worthwhile.  At least we didn't give up 3 1st round picks and then some.  Richardson can be great...but we only need him to be adequate...and he's certainly capable of being that.  Good pickup.

Yeah, he's a dumb butt too.

Yup, I agree Brian. He's reasoning if you can call it that seems flawed: "I get that Richardson is 22. I see the ability and the amazing stuff he did in college. But I don't see the value. Not in this league. Not the way the game is played. Runners don't decide it anymore."

Runners don't decide games anymore. What is Pete Prisco smoking anyway? What like the run does set up the play action pass or flee flicker? True, the league is no longer solely dependent on the ground game, but it does tend to keep safeties honest & slow down blitzes. I think Richardson will be a good addition if we create lanes for him to do his work. Easier said than done I know, but it is possible if we can exert our will & generate movement on the line. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

So Gore is on his last legs, but SJAX isnt?

from what i have seen from gore so far this season he looks like he is cooked, but Jackson still showed some good burst before he got hurt

What meltdown? Some people seem furious that they are so obviously giving up on this season. Many of them are pleased with it. Mixed reaction just like here.

Sadly I didn't see any that seemed to be mourning the loss of what he's given them on the field - just the "value" lost based on his having been a high draft pick.

rember this would been his rookie year in nfl .  if he stay his senior year at school.

So you want to ignore everything but YPC.  First, I never made the argument that T-Rich was Peterson.  I just said that both Peterson and Richardson were asked to carry the same load.  And Richardson came close.   Second, AD's QB was Travaris Jackson.  If you wanna make the argument that Jackson is better than Weeden, be my guest...simple fact of the matter is, you're coming across as irrational.  Rich ain't not AP, but he's good enough to make the trade worthwhile.  At least we didn't give up 3 1st round picks and then some.  Richardson can be great...but we only need him to be adequate...and he's certainly capable of being that.  Good pickup.

YPC is arguably the best statistical indicator of success for running backs.  Both of them were asked to carry the load but AP did it much more effectively.  I wouldn't call it close.

A first round pick for a merely adequate runner is a HUGE waste of a first round pick in my book (just like three first round picks for a QB is a waste if that QB isn't a Pro Bowl caliber franchise cornerstone).  It's too soon to evaluate the trade definitively and it could prove to be a fantastic investment.  I just think that you don't give up that much for a running back who isn't consensus top 5 at the position.

Having a different valuation of Trent and running backs in general isn't an indicator of irrationality.

YPC is arguably the best statistical indicator of success for running backs.  Both of them were asked to carry the load but AP did it much more effectively.  I wouldn't call it close.

A first round pick for a merely adequate runner is a HUGE waste of a first round pick in my book (just like three first round picks for a QB is a waste if that QB isn't a Pro Bowl caliber franchise cornerstone).  It's too soon to evaluate the trade definitively and it could prove to be a fantastic investment.  I just think that you don't give up that much for a running back who isn't consensus top 5 at the position.

Having a different valuation of Trent and running backs in general isn't an indicator of irrationality.

I think it depends if we are talking about a legit real first round talent worthy RB.

Or....well a Donald Brown.......

whats funny is the browns fans reactions.

*mod edit*

Except for a handful members complaining in many posts it seems to me the majority are not really that upset over it.  Many saying wish they had gotten more or he was never going to perform behind their Oline anyway ... good thing he came to a team with a much better Oline ... Oh wait ?!?!

I havent read all the posts in this form. But did any one notice we got two picks from the top three last year. Very sweet, sitting back and thinking about this trade im liking it more and more. There isnt any one really big that wed want next years draft(that I know of) and T-RIch is a 3 pick of the draft why not!

And will make up for it in free agency next we'll have money to spend. 

Except for a handful members complaining in many posts it seems to me the majority are not really that upset over it.  Many saying wish they had gotten more or he was never going to perform behind their Oline anyway ... good thing he came to a team with a much better Oline ... Oh wait ?!?!

from what ive read so far they are all cursing up a storm and ive gone through 10 pages.  best quote is :   "Well guess we root against the colts now, trip and die luck, Go 49'ers!  "

Why do so many people care about picks?

There's no such thing as a 'Sure Thing' (Andrew is as close as they come)

Every draft is a crapshoot. Trent has been underwhelming, but he played with an awful QB, a team with no great receiving threat, and an awful O-Line outside of Thomas.

The Colts line has (very surprisingly) been doing a nice job run blocking. The issue is keeping Luck upright.

Say what you will, Trent is a known commodity. He's a big time playmaker. Have Luck hit him out of the backfield and he's a threat to bust a big play.

I like picks, but I like 23 year old known commodities more

from what ive read so far they are all cursing up a storm and ive gone through 10 pages.  best quote is :   "Well guess we root against the colts now, trip and die luck, Go 49'ers!  "

Take away the posts by "PoeticG" and and there really is not much of an uproar. A few fans complaining, but not a melt down or anything.