Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Verdict On Avery

John Waylon

Inb4mikewallace.

I like the idea of finding a bigger reciever.

Collie could still factor into the corps, too. Wayne and Hilton on the outside, Collie in the slot, Brazil as the joker, and Allen/Fleener out there when needed..,

I can't see Collie playing again in a Colts jersey. Wayne will be back, I like the idea of having a bigger receiver, but I also like Mike Wallace, I'll be happy with either on the outside. Hilton in the slot, I see him as our version of Victor Cruz or Wes Welker, a huge part of the offence playing in the slot. Brazil as the fourth man and Allen/Fleener on an as needed basis.

I can't see Collie playing again in a Colts jersey. Wayne will be back, I like the idea of having a bigger receiver, but I also like Mike Wallace, I'll be happy with either on the outside. Hilton in the slot, I see him as our version of Victor Cruz or Wes Welker, a huge part of the offence playing in the slot. Brazil as the fourth man and Allen/Fleener on an as needed basis.

Wallace is a straight line guy. He doesn't run great routes, his catching isn't spctacular, and I think he's more hype than substance because he put up some deep TD catches with his ability to beat a defender. He certainly wasnt important to the Steelers success this season.

Guys like he, and dsean jackson are gimmicks. Once you strip it away from them, there's not much there worth having.

I think with the emergence of Hilton and Reggie's season his stock has fallen somewhat and he does drop some easy balls and they tend to be at key points in games to really highlight them. Unless you're talking very cheap (Vet Min?) then let him walk, no hard feelings and good luck to him. Even if we brought him back on a small salary he might be fighting for a roster spot (I'd hope) in pre-season. 

Looking at what we've got now, Wayne/Hilton are good, Brazill has show flashes, Whalen was looking interesting before injury. With our cap space we can also look at some FA options (but we shouldn't be held to ransom). 

As far as I recall it's kind of a weak year for WR free agents, so that could persuade teams to be a little more interested in a guy with starting ability and experience.

It's a good year for FA Widereceivers --- Just off the top of my head you have Wallace, Bowe, Jennings, Welker and a couple more pretty good options

I think they'll let Avery go. While he has shown good speed, he just hasn't made the tough catches when needed. I think Brazill has a higher ceiling, and expect him to get more PT next year. I'd also like to see more of Whalen & Adams. As for free agents,I'd prefer Jennings or even Bowe over Wallace.

I can't see resigning him, when he played well, he was fine but that was only 3 games out of 17games+1playoff. There's lots of alternatives on the roster for the Colts, Jabin Sambrano (just signed to a future contract), Kris Adams, Lavonn Brazill, and Griff Whalen. Heck I might even sign Austin Collie to a 1 year, it'd be difficult to let him walk, but I'd rather have him on our team than producing for someone else

I'm more surprised Avery stayed relatively healthy all season. He really does drop a lot of passes though, and that's disheartening.

With Brazil, and Whalen waiting in the wings, I wouldn't be upset if he was let go. I do agree we need a taller wide receiver.

Also, we need to learn how to use Fleener in the end zone and use his height advantage.

Like others, I would probably say keep him if you can do so for cheap. Not if he wants a big deal though. He had a lot of very costly, EASY catches that he dropped this season, and they seemed like they were always at key times (not just the 3rd down yesterday, but the drop in the endzone against the Titans at home comes to mind as well). The highlight of the season for him was definitely the game winner against Detroit, but that wasn't a difficult catch by any means-- although his speed helped get him those 6-7 yards into the endzone. It certainly wouldn't be enough to keep him on its own.

I really do not want Mike Wallace though. If we actually go after another receiver, I would prefer a big target. No more 5'10 or less receivers. We have enough of those.

I like Avery, but to me Hilton is the exact same and a little more consistent. I'd love to see what Reggie teaches Hilton for this off-season. Avery is expendable. We also have a cheap Welker type on our roster named Grif Whalen. I think WR should not be on the radar at all this FA or Draft unless a big 6'1" or bigger guy with good hands and decent speed is there. 

To me it's not even a matter of what the money is, based on his talent compared to what else will be out there, you have to let him walk. Dropped too many passes on key plays. Still has deep threat speed but Isn't quite the player the colts need now. Your services are no longer needed at this time.

The only way I see us signing Mike Wallace is if Arians stays as OC.

I'd bet we still won't sign him even if Arians stays. We already have 2 other guys just like him(Hilton, Brazill) and Avery could be resigned for much cheaper. Add in Whalen and the need for Wallace on a scale of 0-10 is about a negative 6. We just have absolutely ZERO reason to sign him. When Grigson and Pagano sit down and go over the roster to see where they should go in free agency, they will look at every position and I would bet that WR will be the very last position they'll look to add to. Even punter and kicker will have more thought put into them than WR will.

He doesn't seem to have the upper body strength to hold on to the ball, if he gets hit while attempting a catch, it pops out almost every time. Hilton on the other hand can make make the catch in traffic. I think Avery can improve on this but I'd rather have a possession reciever instead or try to get another Hilton.

I'm not sure you can say keep/move on without knowing his asking price.

Does it matter? We have Hilton and Brazill under contract, both of whom are as good or better. We have other options behind those two at receiver that didn't make the roster just because of the numbers or because of injury (Kris Adams, Griff Whalen).

If he's still around in June and is willing to sign for one year, vet minimum, I might offer, but I doubt it. I'm very okay with us letting Avery walk, and I don't doubt that he'll be on someone's radar early in free agency for a cheap contract. If I were him, I'd want to sign as soon as possible. And if I were Grigson, Avery wouldn't be anything close to a priority for me. So it's likely that he's done as a Colt.

I think Avery and Hilton did good this season (Avery did only have 1 more drop(7) then Hilton(6) if SI.com is to be believed). Dont matter to me if we keep Avery or not, Im more interested in drafting a WR in the late rounds of the draft thats tall enough (one that wont quit on a route while were at it would be nice to) to ride the adult rides. I doubt very much however we see much at all done in terms of our current wr corp

They all need to work out with Reggie in Miami (some of them did last year) this offseason and then they need to work with Andrew.  If Avery is really interested in staying in the league, Reggie can help him.  

Hilton will be working on the 10 lb sheath of muscle Grigson was talking about.

Avery: 60 catches, 781, 3TDs, $615k.

Wallace: 64 catches, 836, 8 TDs, $2.74 million, likely seeking $10 million a season.

I'm not a huge Avery fan, but any of the top FA WRs are going to flirt with the $10 million mark, and that's way, way too much money for any of them in my opinion.  Especially with so many other needs next season.  Avery will get more money next year somewhere, maybe double what he got here, and for three or four years.  But the $40+ million in cap space is going to get eaten up quickly, and I'd rather two top FA guards for $10 million (5 each) than any one WR on the market.  It's the threat that's important - there is no Moss circa 2003  out there who is about to be bomb-crazy productive.  Avery for $1 million a season for three years is ok by me, as Hilton, Brazill, and others grow. 

Avery: 60 catches, 781, 3TDs, $615k.

Wallace: 64 catches, 836, 8 TDs, $2.74 million, likely seeking $10 million a season.

I'm not a huge Avery fan, but any of the top FA WRs are going to flirt with the $10 million mark, and that's way, way too much money for any of them in my opinion.  Especially with so many other needs next season.  Avery will get more money next year somewhere, maybe double what he got here, and for three or four years.  But the $40+ million in cap space is going to get eaten up quickly, and I'd rather two top FA guards for $10 million (5 each) than any one WR on the market.  It's the threat that's important - there is no Moss circa 2003  out there who is about to be bomb-crazy productive.  Avery for $1 million a season for three years is ok by me, as Hilton, Brazill, and others grow. 

haha, the whole "10 million per season" rumor is still floating around? Jeez...

Sure the guy had a rough stretch. But it was basically his 3rd NFL season, and his first with the Colts. Ill give him a bit of leeway if his asking price isn't to much.

I'm just confused on the Hilton love fest, and the Avery hate. Drops were nearly the same. One guy had more TDs, the other had more Rec, and yards were fairly close. They aren't drastically different enough to proclaim undying love for one and utter dislike for the other.

too many people saying they would keep Avery if he is cheap.... the question needs to be "What is the verdict on Avery AS A #2 TO REGGIE AND FUTURE #1". I think the answer to that is obviously NO. Anyone who wants to keep him cheap then it will be as a #4 WR and will play ahead of Brazil...

We have our Roddy White (Reggie) but Avery is not our Julio Jones.