Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

It is said Nelson’s best attribute is run blocking.  I anticipate Kelly/Nelson opening big holes for the running back.  Forces defense to stack the box and providing AL better passing opportunities.  It also helps the defense with less 3 and outs giving them time to rest so they’re not worn out in the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I am thrilled.  This is a great pick.  An anchor pro bowler for a decade or so.    He run blocks great as well as pass block.  Our running game is better as well as the passing game.  

Jumping for joy tonight!  

if anything we should be able to see how good kelly can be inside

5 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

I won't be sad as Nelson will be a pro bowler sooner and is going to be a pro bowler this season and for every season he plays in the NFL. Not joking either.

People are gonna be real surprised how good he is and how big of an impact he is gonna make. He is gonna gove us an identity we really havent had since ive been a fan,  as a nasty physical team, at least on offense.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I hope we trade up into end of 1st round and draft another OL. We could be one more player away from having a dominant line!!!  Yes yes yes!!

Connor Williams could potentially be one of the 2nd round picks tommo or Kolton Miller I don't think trading up is needed as there is no more sure things and Indy now needs all these extra 2nd rnd picks and using one of them to draft another OL is possible but using 2 trade up for an OL not happening.

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

Investing that draft capital in the he OL has worked for Dallas.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ryan Kelly and Costanzo were both 1's. Mewhort is a 2. Now Nelson. I wouldn't be shocked if we're rolling with the most high end picks for an o-line this season with this addition.. 

The Cowboys did that and have one of the best OL's in the league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Investing that draft capital in the he OL has worked for Dallas.

OL is one of the most under-appreciated facets of a successful football team.

The best “skill” players in the game aren’t worth a darn if plays can’t develop.  You’d think us Colts fans, as much as anybody, would understand that.

Football games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Connor Williams could potentially be one of the 2nd round picks tommo or Kolton Miller I don't think trading up is needed as there is no more sure things and Indy now needs all these extra 2nd rnd picks and using one of them to draft another OL is possible but using 2 trade up for an OL not happening.

Miller is already gone at 15. I hope there is no run on OL.  I would love another OL starter.  Maybe we need to trade back in.

Colts fans during the season  - “We need to address the Oline and protect Luck!”

Colts fans after our pick “I don’t like this pick! I wanted defense!”

Never happy. Be glad we got the best Oline player in the draft and fixed an immediate position of need for our QB. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I suppose since I'm playing lightning rod, let me just say, I don't hate the pick at all, I'm just not sold that this was the most bang for the buck (or the area of greatest need, have you checked out those LB's?), but what do I know? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Colts fans during the season  - “We need to address the Oline and protect Luck!”

Colts fans after our pick “I don’t like this pick! I wanted defense!”

Never happy. Be glad we got the best Oline player in the draft and fixed an immediate position of need for our QB. 

I know, funny stuff!

57 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ryan Kelly and Costanzo were both 1's. Mewhort is a 2. Now Nelson. I wouldn't be shocked if we're rolling with the most high end picks for an o-line this season with this addition.. 

Dallas has three 1's...    Smith, Martin, and their center.    Plus, a fourth 1st round pick, in Collins, who they got as an undrafted free agent.

There were better options available. Nelson could very well become a great player, but he won’t have as much impact as some of the other positions. Drafting a guard this early is bad value. I’m very disappointed with this pick. This team won’t compete for a Super Bowl until we start drafting blue chip defensive players. 

2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

There were better options available. Nelson could very well become a great player, but he won’t have as much impact as some of the other positions. Drafting a guard this early is bad value. I’m very disappointed with this pick. This team won’t compete for a Super Bowl until we start drafting blue chip defensive players. 

A good offensive line helps more areas than any other spot.  This is a fantastic pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Crazy talk.

The Titans beat writer wrote a tweet about what he thought the Titans hoped the Colts did and he said "they hope it's Nelson, he can't hurt our QB"..

Not that I want guys hurt, but that's where my head was at with that high end pick.

24 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

It is said Nelson’s best attribute is run blocking.  I anticipate Kelly/Nelson opening big holes for the running back.  Forces defense to stack the box and providing AL better passing opportunities.  It also helps the defense with less 3 and outs giving them time to rest so they’re not worn out in the 4th quarter.

This will help the team in almost every way.  

Yeah, I know the buzzword(s) with this pick is protecting Luck, but watching Nelson's highlights you can really start to see part of why Josh Adams was able to have such a solid year. 

Marlon Mack has to love this pick. And heck, why not consider Josh Adams late if he's there. I don't think we should go RB for a few rounds at least now anyways. Gotta be a defensive focus now, and if we do go offense, double dip on the OL (if somebody like Hernandez/Wynn/Ragnow drops) or WR.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

LT constanzo

LG Nelson 

C Kelly

Rg mewhort vs slausen 

RT good/heag/Clark 

I'm out of likes..    but wanted to say thanks for your post...   this should spell it out for posters.

I could be wrong, but I don't see us taking an OT on Day 2....   I see three defensive picks and a running back...

• Like 5