Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will not be throwing at minicamp

coltsfanatic89

Luck hasn't given a timetable for his return. If he will not be throwing at minicamp, then we have to assume that he is following the plan.

No need to panic. We're still months away from the beginning of the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Luck hasn't given a timetable for his return. If he will not be throwing at minicamp, then we have to assume that he is following the plan.

Thats what we all said last year

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Thats what we all said last year

Agreed.

Either Luck is on track to heal and play again, or not. I see a vast difference in how Luck appears this year vs. last year. His demeanor is different. I personally see enough to believe that he will play again, but like everyone else, I have no proof for either outcome.

Given the sparse data available, I'm in a position to be hopeful or doubtful. Personally, I simply choose to be hopeful. I see no joy in being doubtful.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, coltsfanatic89 said:

This could be worrisome, Luck still will not be throwing at all during minicamp.  Is this a precaution, or is he still not ready to throw the ball?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/24/andrew-luck-wont-be-throwing-at-minicamp/?sf187683289=1

It is not worrisome.

The tea leaves are all positive.

*  Ballard has been emphatic on his return.  He was less so last year.  That has to mean something

*  Ballard said clear evidence in their belief he will be ready was the trade from 3 to 6.  That has to mean something.

*  If you saw the Tom House video, clearly that while not throwing a football, he is approximating the throwing motion and has done so enough that they feel he will be back.

*  Clearly they have a date in mind for when Luck will start throwing again and be ready for the grind of camp and games.

Luck is fine.  I get it - until you see him wing it like an NFL QB, there will be questions.  But I think the worry in 2018 is much ado about nothing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

His last interview, he was very adamant and very clear. I am staying with the plan, and I will be ready to go when camp begins. He won't be throwing in any organized colt's activities until training camp begins. I would imagine we will get few updates until Training Camp also, so get ready for all the "sky is falling" pieces sure to follow in the media.

The fact we are not drafting a QB, and traded down still tells you all you need to know. Luck is on schedule, but he plans to take every small step necessary so he will be 100 percent by camp!

I am not worried, yet.  If he is not throwing by training camp, though, then I will start to get a little bit apprehensive.  If he is not throwing by the middle of training camp, then I would assume that he will not play in 2018.  For now, though, I am optimistic that by the time training camp rolls around, all doubt will be cast aside.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Hard to really give a timetable when you really don’t know. I doubt if he knows anything until he  gets on an actual throwing regimen and ramps things up. 

43 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

It is not worrisome.

*  Ballard has been emphatic on his return.  He was less so last year.  That has to mean something

*  Ballard said clear evidence in their belief he will be ready was the trade from 3 to 6.  That has to mean something.

*  If you saw the Tom House video, clearly that while not throwing a football, he is approximating the throwing motion and has done so enough that they feel he will be back.

*  Clearly they have a date in mind for when Luck will start throwing again and be ready for the grind of camp and games.

Luck is fine.  I get it - until you see him wing it like an NFL QB, there will be questions.  But I think the worry in 2018 is much ado about nothing.

They can be as positive as they want. They were all positive that he was going to play last year. Even Luck himself said he was absolutely going to play last year. 

Ballard saying he traded down because he’s positive that Luck is going to play sounds like a draft smokescreen to me. The only way they were going QB at 3 was if Luck retired or he suddenly needed another surgery. Outside of that they are going to wait for his return. He traded down because he thinks the guy he wants will still be there at 6. 

That Tom House video is great but we don’t even know if Luck has even progressed to that level. 

I think they definitely have a date in mind that they’d like to see him throw but I think they are waiting on his body to tell them that he’s ready to throw. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

His last interview, he was very adamant and very clear. I am staying with the plan, and I will be ready to go when camp begins. He won't be throwing in any organized colt's activities until training camp begins. I would imagine we will get few updates until Training Camp also, so get ready for all the "sky is falling" pieces sure to follow in the media.

The fact we are not drafting a QB, and traded down still tells you all you need to know. Luck is on schedule, but he plans to take every small step necessary so he will be 100 percent by camp!

Let’s say he does start throwing at training camp. I don’t anticipate it being a normal training camp for him. It will probably be more like it was when he started throwing last season. He had a scripted number of throws and several days of rest in between. It would be a breakthrough nonetheless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

Luck is finished.  Better draft Mayfield.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic89 said:

I agree he's probably finished.

Why would he still be on the roster then? The Colts wouldn't be wasting their time parading him around and saying that he's fine, and trading out of a premium QB draft slot if they had any reason to believe that he's no longer able to play. If there was any indication that he was finished, he'd be released, and Irsay would cut him a check for the remainder of his guaranteed money, and that would be that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

He will be fine, wait until TC to start worrying. 

He has been fine since jimmy said so himself in 2017. Are some Colt fans that naive here. Luck cannot throw a nerf. Wait for tc, wait for wk 1, wait until mid season. Waiting is over.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

It is not worrisome.

I'd put the odds of him returning at 50/50. Ballard's confidence doesn't really affect the outcome one way or another. Luck is now nearly 16 month into a recovery that should have taken just 6-9 months AND he's still not throwing a football. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think the biceps tendon was injured, and as soon as Luck is exposed to the physical demands of the NFL, inflammation will return, and the Colts will ultimately decide surgery is required. I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to be right. But there is still scant evidence to support all the hopeful, confident-sounding predictions. What we have right now is a bunch of hot air.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coltsfanatic89 said:

This could be worrisome, Luck still will not be throwing at all during minicamp.  Is this a precaution, or is he still not ready to throw the ball?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/24/andrew-luck-wont-be-throwing-at-minicamp/?sf187683289=1

They said he wouldn't weeks ago. Nothing new. Case closed. Time to close this thread 

3 hours ago, coltsfanatic89 said:

I wish they would just clam up and let us know later if he is throwing or retiring...I am so sick of hearing these updates that I just don't care any more. He will probably come back and take one good hit and retire....this is a contact game.

23 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Not surprised anymore.. why not just let us know when he WILL throw the ball?

They honestly may not know. However, they aren't going to say they don't know or else it will affect ticket sales. People are already suspicious because of last year, and are on to them. The casuals, if they know Luck isn't playing, won't buy tickets two years in a row with Brissett at the helm, and casuals are the biggest part of the fanbase. The draft doesn't excite casuals too much either, some don't even know about the trade with the Jets, and a lot of others don't know any of the players coming from college that we will draft. They see Luck, they pay, simple as that. If Luck doesn't play, then Irsay has to lead them on until tickets are sold before randomly announcing Luck will miss time and Jacoby will be the starter, should that happen. 

If Luck plays, that's great. The trade down suggests it. However, it's impossible to tell right now what will happen in a few months, and any person with a brain knows this. However, ticket buyers have to make that decision months ahead of time, and Irsay will take advantage of this to help his bottom line.

4 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Yes, there's time. OTOH, I'd like to point out to all once again (like last year), it will take 3 months throwing (real NFL grade) footballs before we know if he can/will be ready to go under center.  And even if he is, there will be a lot of rust to shake off in the beginning.

5 hours ago, Everyone said:

I'm glad you put these up, because I was about to ask why this was even news?

They already said that Luck wasn't going to be throwing at minicamp. 

I wonder if profootballtalk will tell us that Christmas will fall on December 25th this year... should they get that scoop before anyone else...

• Like 3