Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Williams hired as secondary coach

Steamboat_Shaun

Dodged a bullet there...or did we?  Chargers were terrible against the pass this year, yes?

This sentiment really confuses me sometimes. Bad secondary play does not necessarily mean bad coaching. With every hire this offseason has been the same thought.

Hire Philbin - the fins oline was a mess must mean a bad hire.

Hire Schottenheimer - the Jets and Rams were terrible on offense. Hell I saw one post that tied the butt fumble to him.

And now this with Williams.

This is 2 + 2 = 5 math to me.

9 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This sentiment really confuses me sometimes. Bad secondary play does not necessarily mean bad coaching. With every hire this offseason has been the same thought.

Hire Schottenheimer - the Jets and Rams were terrible on offense. Hell I saw one post that tied the butt fumble to him.

Its not even the same thing...

Philbin wasn't OL coach at MIA

Scotty wasn't QB coach at STL, when he was QB coach it was with Breese, Rivers, and Sanchez (who was bad but got to do well enough to get to AFC CG twice), all pluses. Also butt fumble was after schotty 

While Greg was the DB coach, and not some other capacity, the secondary hasn't been that great from what I understand. I'm talking about a coach being bad while he is coaching that position(s), not a coach having a portion of his offense/defense being bad when he didnt directly coach that group.

Its not even the same thing...

Philbin wasn't OL coach at MIA

Scotty wasn't QB coach at STL, when he was QB coach it was with Breese, Rivers, and Sanchez (who was bad but got to do well enough to get to AFC CG twice), all pluses. Also butt fumble was after schotty 

While Greg was the DB coach, and not some other capacity, the secondary hasn't been that great from what I understand. I'm talking about a coach being bad while he is coaching that position(s), not a coach having a portion of his offense/defense being bad when he didnt directly coach that group.

If you say so.

With regards specifically to Williams bad secondary play in San Diego does not by default mean bad secondary play in indy. Maybe it was a talent issue or maybe they were coordinated poorly. I don't know. But all i do know is the colts have thought highly enough of him to bring him on board.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

If you say so.

With regards specifically to Williams bad secondary play in San Diego does not by default mean bad secondary play in indy. Maybe it was a talent issue or maybe they were coordinated poorly. I don't know. But all i do know is the colts have thought highly enough of him to bring him on board.

I agree with you. Don't know how well the guy can coach until he gets here. We'll see the product in September. Not trying to be pessimistic,  but not really jumping for joy either.

The Greg Williams that the Colts hired has spent the past seven seasons with the San Diego Chargers on their coaching staff.  He was hired in 2009 as their assistant linebackers coach, a position he held for four seasons (2009-2012).  For the past three seasons, Williams has been the team's assistant secondary coach (2013-2015).  While in that role, the Chargers secondary has been very good - safety Eric Weddle made two Pro Bowls and in 2014 the Chargers ranked fourth in the league in passing defense.  Other players, like cornerbacks Jason Verrett and Brandon Flowers, have also impressed.  

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/20/10802314/colts-hire-greg-williams-as-defensive-backs-coach

If the numbers have gone down from 2014 without looking real close I think it would have to be associated with the Chargers front 7.  I think they have quite a few substandard guys in that front such as Ricardo Matthews formerly of the Colts.  Probably had something to do with secondary issues.   The hiring makes sense to me because he's coming from a very similar defense and they probably have all the same techniques and calls.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Well if we bring in a big name corner we wont have to worry about it too much. I don't know much about all these specialty coaches. Just HC's, OC's, and DC's is about the only guys I know much about.

I'll take a really good corner. I don't care what, or how familiar, his name is.

4 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'll take a really good corner. I don't care what, or how familiar, his name is.

A really good corner is a big name corner to me. I'm not just some casual fan so a guy like Janorris Jenkins is a big name corner if you ask me

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

He was hired in 2009 as their assistant linebackers coach, a position he held for four seasons (2009-2012).  For the past three seasons, Williams has been the team's assistant secondary coach (2013-2015).

Assistant LB coach / Assistant secondary coach. That means he coached the way the LB coach and secondary coach wanted, not necessarily the way he wanted. Food for thought...

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

A really good corner is a big name corner to me. I'm not just some casual fan so a guy like Janorris Jenkins is a big name corner if you ask me

A big name corner, to me, is simply someone everyone's heard of.

I'll take a good one.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hmm. Wonder if the Colts will pursue Eric Weddle.

I think we should. He would love to play for a contender and give us at least 2 good years. Besides, if Pagano can squeeze more out of Mike Adams, I think the ceiling is higher with Eric Weddle, IMO.

I am certain John Pagano gave Chuck all the info he wanted prior to this hire.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Unless You Use Common Core Math That Make sense

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would you be so opposed to Waddle playing here? 

Or even Weddle and yes I would love to have him here.  

Colts fans have seen his play against us so many times and he hurt us so many times

He even intercepted the ball with his elbow when were marching for a score.

He just seems to be where the ball is 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Thanks. This really needed to be said. Position coaches have very little to do with actual performances on the field. That always comes down to three things:

1. The GM

2. The Head Coach

3. The coordinators

You can't blame an entire secondary being bad on just the positional coach. That likely falls on the GM for not drafting properly, and the DC for not creating better match ups with his DBs.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

When every team has 20 or more coaches, no wonder all the hires are retreads. I wonder if any fired assistant coach ever ends up out of the NFL or if it is just musical chairs.

perhaps all NFL teams use the same health insurance company, then when musical chairs happen with all these assistant coaches, they don't have to re-sign up and go through all the red-tape.

4 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hmm. Wonder if the Colts will pursue Eric Weddle.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think we should. He would love to play for a contender and give us at least 2 good years. Besides, if Pagano can squeeze more out of Mike Adams, I think the ceiling is higher with Eric Weddle, IMO.

I am certain John Pagano gave Chuck all the info he wanted prior to this hire.

I would be all for bringing in Weddle for a year or two but, do you really think he would want to follow an ex-Chargers employee to Indianapolis? Weddle and the Chargers had a falling out and I believe I read in an article somewhere that he wants nothing to do with the Chargers any longer. Following Williams to Indy seems a bit too close to home IMO. I could be wrong but, it might still sting him a bit.

20 minutes ago, MrNLM said:

I would be all for bringing in Weddle for a year or two but, do you really think he would want to follow an ex-Chargers employee to Indianapolis? Weddle and the Chargers had a falling out and I believe I read in an article somewhere that he wants nothing to do with the Chargers any longer. Following Williams to Indy seems a bit too close to home IMO. I could be wrong but, it might still sting him a bit.

Just because he doesn't want to go back to the chargers doesn't necessarily mean he dislikes Williams. Also a few year deal worth millions might change his mind too. I'm sure Williams will be wanting Grigson to bring Weddle in. I'd be all for it.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Their pass yards allowed per attempt was like 30th, which is what is sticking out in my head.  On phone, so harder to look up and not worth effort.

T-28th 7.9 vs Colts 7.5, but that was the only stat that was worse. SD gave up 400 less yards, 7 fewer TD, 10 fewer 20+ yard passes. The Colts were T-31 with New Orleans for most 40+ yard passes allowed!   

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I just read that Williams was on the same staff as Monachino at Arizona state. So he is a guy Monachino and Pagano have a lot of familiarity with.

Here is the stuff as you mention, k. Cohesion & direction at all points from the entire coaching staff. That builds & breeds winning teams. Familiarity is a great start along with arrowed directives from the HC & down. I've known it as "systematic glue" over the years. And, it works extremely well.

The term "coaching trees" couldn't survive without it.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Just because he doesn't want to go back to the chargers doesn't necessarily mean he dislikes Williams. Also a few year deal worth millions might change his mind too. I'm sure Williams will be wanting Grigson to bring Weddle in. I'd be all for it.

I can see that being the case. I just don't know how far this feud goes. Certainly an assistant coach can't be a major sticking point in his case against the Chargers.

A few posters nailed it when pointing out the fact that a poor pass defense is a result of many things (poor front 7, inadequate pass rush, lack of personnel, injuries to starting personnel, bad offense, etc.). 

The secondary coach is usually not one of the primary causes (unless you specifically hear talk of DBs being completely confused and out of sync on the field, mentally) of defensive ineptitude.

Glad to have Williams aboard.

3 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Only 30 to got another 3-4 in him 

I seem to remember Chuck, Grigson and Irsay all saying that the Colts need to get YOUNGER across the board and especially on defense...

I cant see Weddle or ANYONE over the age of 28 or 29 being brought in really... Not knocking the player, I just dont see it happening.

9 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

T-28th 7.9 vs Colts 7.5, but that was the only stat that was worse. SD gave up 400 less yards, 7 fewer TD, 10 fewer 20+ yard passes. The Colts were T-31 with New Orleans for most 40+ yard passes allowed!   

Because they were always down a bunch of points playing catchup in the 2nd half and teams were running out the clock, imo