Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Williams hired as secondary coach

Steamboat_Shaun

14 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Their pass yards allowed per attempt was like 30th, which is what is sticking out in my head.  On phone, so harder to look up and not worth effort.

To be fair, I think their secondary has been exceptionally banged up.  I remember they lost an overtime game, and had to use a wide receiver at safety in OT.  There was no one left.  That WR turned safety for the game was not the reason they lost, either.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

To be fair, I think their secondary has been exceptionally banged up.  I remember they lost an overtime game, and had to use a wide receiver at safety in OT.  There was no one left.  That WR turned safety for the game was not the reason they lost, either.

Actually, now that you say that, it's sort of ringing a bell. I think I remember hearing that too on like redzone or something (their WR corps was that depleted as well).  They definitely started out strong (and even if their secondary was a weak spot, to which I really make no claim), their one of the teams like the Ravens where they just had so many injuries all over the place they couldn't compete anymore.

13 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

A really good corner is a big name corner to me. I'm not just some casual fan so a guy like Janorris Jenkins is a big name corner if you ask me

Thinking that a big name player is a really good player is exactly how a casual fan would think.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I seem to remember Chuck, Grigson and Irsay all saying that the Colts need to get YOUNGER across the board and especially on defense...

I cant see Weddle or ANYONE over the age of 28 or 29 being brought in really... Not knocking the player, I just dont see it happening.

This "need to get younger" thing is really getting overblown.  I honestly think that Irsay only brought it up because it was something that has been commented on a lot by media and fans recently.  But it's not an "oh my god we're screwed for the future" kind of thing.  I've never been concerned nor upset about becoming the oldest team in the league in 2015.  

Either way though, that still doesn't mean the Colts are going to ignore any players over the age of 28.  First of all, Hassellbeck and Vinatieri really throw off the curve.  But for example, if the Colts released Mathis (34) and Cole (33) and then brought in Mario Williams (30) and Von Miller (27) (these 2 names were selected only because of age..not likelihood of actually being signed by the Colts), they still get 10 years younger overall.  

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

This sentiment really confuses me sometimes. Bad secondary play does not necessarily mean bad coaching. With every hire this offseason has been the same thought.

Hire Philbin - the fins oline was a mess must mean a bad hire.

Hire Schottenheimer - the Jets and Rams were terrible on offense. Hell I saw one post that tied the butt fumble to him.

And now this with Williams.

This is 2 + 2 = 5 math to me.

More like 2 + 2 = 3 with some attitudes on here to our staffing hires :P.

28 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Thinking that a big name player is a really good player is exactly how a casual fan would think.

This "need to get younger" thing is really getting overblown.  I honestly think that Irsay only brought it up because it was something that has been commented on a lot by media and fans recently.  But it's not an "oh my god we're screwed for the future" kind of thing.  I've never been concerned nor upset about becoming the oldest team in the league in 2015.  

Either way though, that still doesn't mean the Colts are going to ignore any players over the age of 28.  First of all, Hassellbeck and Vinatieri really throw off the curve.  But for example, if the Colts released Mathis (34) and Cole (33) and then brought in Mario Williams (30) and Von Miller (27) (these 2 names were selected only because of age..not likelihood of actually being signed by the Colts), they still get 10 years younger overall.  

True enough the emphasis might have been overblown on the whole age thing, but if you keep going in that direction you are constantly trying to find replacements and buying in FA to replace people every 3 years or so. If you can get them younger, you can keep consistency, sign them to long contract and then re-sign them again once those contracts expire. 

I see about 5 of our draft picks going to the defense, at least. Time get get a good nucleus of young talent going there, to add to Geathers, Anderson and Parry, like we got for the offense in 2012 with Andrew, TY, Allen, Fleener and Ballard (when he was healthy). 

16 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

True enough the emphasis might have been overblown on the whole age thing, but if you keep going in that direction you are constantly trying to find replacements and buying in FA to replace people every 3 years or so. If you can get them younger, you can keep consistency, sign them to long contract and then re-sign them again once those contracts expire. 

I see about 5 of our draft picks going to the defense, at least. Time get get a good nucleus of young talent going there, to add to Geathers, Anderson and Parry, like we got for the offense in 2012 with Andrew, TY, Allen, Fleener and Ballard (when he was healthy). 

Right and some good points...I do think the defense needs to get younger, but you're always going to supplement your roster with FA acquisitions.  The problem right now is that we don't have enough playmakers on defense, but if you try to get those young playmakers through FA it's going to cost you a LOT of money against the cap.  That's what Grigson has been trying to avoid imo.  Personally, I've liked Grigson's overall approach since coming here.  He's been trying to get those young playmakers in the draft, and role players/stop gap players in FA.  

That's not to say we should never go after the younger playmakers in FA...just have to do it sparingly and be smart about it.  For example, I'd have no problem with them targeting Von Miller, should he hit the open market.  But at the same time, I don't want to see them trying to sign every 26-27 year old big name FA either like a lot of people seem to want. :)

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Right and some good points...I do think the defense needs to get younger, but you're always going to supplement your roster with FA acquisitions.  The problem right now is that we don't have enough playmakers on defense, but if you try to get those young playmakers through FA it's going to cost you a LOT of money against the cap.  That's what Grigson has been trying to avoid imo.  Personally, I've liked Grigson's overall approach since coming here.  He's been trying to get those young playmakers in the draft, and role players/stop gap players in FA.  

That's not to say we should never go after the younger playmakers in FA...just have to do it sparingly and be smart about it.  For example, I'd have no problem with them targeting Von Miller, should he hit the open market.  But at the same time, I don't want to see them trying to sign every 26-27 year old big name FA either like a lot of people seem to want. :)

Oh I'm with you on this 100%. 

I didn't mean to imply that we should only go after young FA's, that would be insane and you would very VERY quickly be in cap hell. I guess I might have overreacted to the whole Weddle thing because other than Geathers, we are already very very old at Safety. 

9 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Oh I'm with you on this 100%. 

I didn't mean to imply that we should only go after young FA's, that would be insane and you would very VERY quickly be in cap hell. I guess I might have overreacted to the whole Weddle thing because other than Geathers, we are already very very old at Safety. 

right..gotcha and I agree.  I just didn't want the mantra of "no FAs over XX age" getting spread around the site.  I already know that, for every FA over 28 that Grigson signs this offseason (which will hopefully not be more than a couple), there will be at least 500 posts calling for him to be fired for "refusing to get younger"  lol

7 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I seem to remember Chuck, Grigson and Irsay all saying that the Colts need to get YOUNGER across the board and especially on defense...

I cant see Weddle or ANYONE over the age of 28 or 29 being brought in really... Not knocking the player, I just dont see it happening.

I guess but just saying we don't need guys who are washed up like Johnson and Cole,  but a guy like Adams who age is blessing for the younger guys 

On 1/21/2016 at 10:29 PM, MrNLM said:

I would be all for bringing in Weddle for a year or two but, do you really think he would want to follow an ex-Chargers employee to Indianapolis? Weddle and the Chargers had a falling out and I believe I read in an article somewhere that he wants nothing to do with the Chargers any longer. Following Williams to Indy seems a bit too close to home IMO. I could be wrong but, it might still sting him a bit.

And i would suggest the odds are more likely he Likes our new guy, and would love to work with him.