Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will give Trent Richardson first shot at starting RB job

Douzer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent seems a nice young man intent on giving his best.
But, had he remained with the Browns and languished as he likely would have, we could have got him for no more than a 3rd rd`er IMO.

He was no more than our 4th best back last season so he really should be expected to be no more than an equal part of our RB core. We should be very solid.

But, had he remained with the Browns and languished as he likely would have, we could have got him for no more than a 3rd rd`er IMO.

He was no more than our 4th best back last season so he really should be expected to be no more than an equal part of our RB core. We should be very solid.

If my auntie.....

Problem with that is if we had waited, someone else may have traded for him.

Good, last year wasn't his fault.

Michigan had the same problem. The OL play was so terrible and the running game was therefore pathetic. But no one blames the Michigan RBs because they aren't as easy a target as TR is.

LIke it or not a first rounder is going to get a lot more chances to succeed then another player.

This is my problem with Pagano and Grigs, they don't seem to make people fight for positions. Trent hasn't done anything to deserve special treatment. He's just another guy imo. But they will force him on the field because of what they gave up to get him

I don't read it that way, I read it as he's got the inside track to start.  If he fails in training camp, Bradshaw or Ballard could easily be the starter week 1.

Trent is going to surprise some people on here I think. His rookie numbers were good when you look at the situation 51 catches 970 rushing yards vs 9 in the box all year 12 td's in 15 games while playing with a rib injury. He had Weedan as the QB and Little as the number 1 option at WR not much to keep a D honest.

I think we will have a lot of TRich fans by weeks 3.

As I have said before with a better o-line, health, etc... I expect Trent to put up career numbers this season. If he doesn't live up to expectations we will lose a 1st round pick, but he is still under his rookie contract so it wouldn't have been to big of a gamble. On the plus side he is all of 23 years old, and could be our go to guy for a long time.

I honestly believe Trent will be a top 5 RB in rushing yards this season. I see him getting anywhere from 1300 to 1400 yards and about 10 scores.

He will be a fantasy football steal. I will take him in the 3rd or 4th and laugh all the way to the championship.

Just out of curiosity, do you consider D Brown the loss of a first round pick?

That is more of a loss because the Donald Brown draft pick in 2009 could have, or should have been used more wisely... were as we have yet to see how Trent Richardson's career pans out. I'm optimistic.

That is more of a loss because the Donald Brown draft pick in 2009 could have, or should have been used more wisely... were as we have yet to see how Trent Richardson's career pans out. I'm optimistic.

Invalid. Donald Brown was a first round pick period. Whether or not we could've or should've used it better doesn't matter

We're comparing Brown & Trent. And IMO Trent looks more promising at this point in his career than Donald did when he was going into year 3 of his rookie deal

Took Donald to get to contract year to do something. Which is no surprise since every player is gonna go 120% when they're in contract year cause they obviously are auditioning not only for their current teams but also other teams in case the current doesn't bring them back

Invalid. Donald Brown was a first round pick period. Whether or not we could've or should've used it better doesn't matter

We're comparing Brown & Trent. And IMO Trent looks more promising at this point in his career than Donald did when he was going into year 3 of his rookie deal

Took Donald to get to contract year to do something. Which is no surprise since every player is gonna go 120% when they're in contract year cause they obviously are auditioning not only for their current teams but also other teams in case the current doesn't bring them back

Invalid?!? Good Grief. I stopped reading you comment there, man.

Anyone who didn't see this coming is well kinda blind.  Clearly Trent had his struggles last year and while some were his fault not all were.  The Colts aren't going to give up on a guy who they traded a first round pick for because they feel like he is the perfect back for their system after less than a full season in their system.  He's going to get another shot to prove he can start in this league. 

Trent Richardson carries his rookie year-267...15 starts...Brown-78 carries, 1 start......invalid comparison....Joseph Addai was still producing well for us

Brown in his first two years had 207 carries for 778 yards (3.8 yards), and Richardson has 455 carries for 1,513. A difference of 248 carries and 735 yards. Brown's third year was his best. Donald only really saw the field due to injuries, and Trent struggling. Trent has no excuses this year... and I expect him to shine.

I do not expect TR to be our starter by week 5. And he won't be on our team next season. Just a hunch, based on what I saw last year. Give him all the camp he wants, I just don't think he's good enough.

Considering his contract isn't up until 2016 chances are he will be here next year too. The Colts will then only have to pay around 6 million for a guy who has major upside, and should come out starting in September on a rampage second only to Godzilla. That is if he wants to be in the NFL AFTER his rookie contract. 

Ps. The Cleveland Brwons paid 13.8 million for 18 games.

Considering his contract isn't up until 2016 chances are he will be here next year too. The Colts will then only have to pay around 6 million for a guy who has major upside, and should come out starting in September on a rampage second only to Godzilla. That is if he wants to be in the NFL AFTER his rookie contract. 

Ps. The Cleveland Brwons paid 13.8 million for 18 games.

Fair point. Comments were based on ability, not the contractual side of things.

Ok, no excuses for Trent this year. The guy had 3/4 of a season last year, the off season and a full

training camp and preseason this year. He needs to come outta the gate hot and not lay a turd in

his first few games or this place will have a come apart.

Wishing he does well but I have severe doubts about it.

The sad reality is if he takes off and kicks butt for the last 2 years of his deal (which would be great of course), we likely won't be able to sign him long term as who can afford to spend money at that now devalued position when the trend is running back by committee everywhere that isn't Phil or Minn (even Seattle insists they are going to spread the carries).  If he struggles, it now appears they will keep sticking with him trying to save face while better options sit idle.  And once his deal is up, we'll have wasted that productivity at RB for 2 more years.   

Whatever happened to proving it in training camp and that no one is handed a job, they must be metal on metal sharpening each other until the sharpest blade gets the nod.  What point is there in handing someone who has done ZERO to earn it, the starting job so far in advance?  I thought starters couldn't lose their job due to injury?  

Disappointed to learn all of the was empty rhetoric.