Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you miss as a Colt's fan?

bluephantom87

Me personally it's the shoe being on prime time. Man I couldn't wait for Sunday or Monday night games!! I used to get so hyped when it came on hearing the intro theme music with the Colt's highlight reel playing in the background. Boy do I miss the Manning and Luck days when the Colts were a staple on prime time! The Thursday night games were cool but we usually played a division foe that took a beat down. Lol

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

The decibel level in the Hoosier Dome. 

after SB celebrations me and my family decided to skip out on the parade out of fear of not getting into the dome. Found out later they had to turn people away at the doors. It was so loud in there you could only feel the screams leave your body. That place was rocking. 

to OP, I miss a lot of things about the Peyton era, but I’ll go with one less talked about. I miss Bob Sanders and and his effect on the defense. I miss Tony Dungy and his always punt/kick the field goal ways. 

• Like 3

One of the weirdest reasons I became a Colts fan...

I would watch football with my parents, mom was a cowboys fan so naturally I became a cowboys fan too around like 1998 when they started free-falling lol. Anyways, Watching their games was pathetic, every 3rd down just seemed inevitable that they would punt. 

When I started watching Colts games, because I had Peyton on one of my 1st fantasy teams. I remember thinking "man this team doesn't care if it's 3rd down, they just convert it and keep going"

Thats what I miss.. how easy it was for the offense to convert. Now it feels like Christmas, especially this year. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

The decibel level in the Hoosier Dome. 

Yeah it used to be so loud in there especially when they started stomping on the steel benches in the upper levels on 3rd down for opposing teams. Man!!! Think about it the decibel level was so high that the Colts used to be accused of piping sound through the speaker system. Lol

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I miss Tony Dungy and his always punt/kick the field goal ways. 

This comment is so underrated and I'm glad someone else brought this up.  Furthermore, Tony even did that while having a great QB.  Reich and SS were overly aggressive on 4th downs and/or long FGs.  A punt to pin a team deep isn't the worse thing...even if it goes in the EZ, they only get it at the 20.  Also, there's nothing wrong with kicking a FG.  I understand if it's 4th and goal at the 1 yard line, but otherwise, kick the damn FG and escape with 3 points as our offense isn't a well-oiled machine anymore.  I've been yelling at the tv for the past 5 or 6 years when the head coach gets too aggressive in these situations.  Keep it simple stupid!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

This comment is so underrated and I'm glad someone else brought this up.  Furthermore, Tony even did that while having a great QB.  Reich and SS were overly aggressive on 4th downs and/or long FGs.  A punt to pin a team deep isn't the worse thing...even if it goes in the EZ, they only get it at the 20.  Also, there's nothing wrong with kicking a FG.  I understand if it's 4th and goal at the 1 yard line, but otherwise, kick the damn FG and escape with 3 points as our offense isn't a well-oiled machine anymore.  I've been yelling at the tv for the past 5 or 6 years when the head coach gets too aggressive in these situations.  Keep it simple stupid!

yeah how many games would we have won had we kicked FGs? Too many.  

if Dungy wasn’t like that, we probably lose to the ravens in the playoffs the year we won the SB. 

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

yeah how many games would we have won had we kicked FGs? Too many.  

if Dungy wasn’t like that, we probably lose to the ravens in the playoffs the year we won the SB. 

Yeah...if you noticed, we've left a lot of points on the field during the Reich and SS era.  Would've made the difference in a bunch of close games.

• Like 2

A path to the playoffs.   Having Peyton Manning on the team and him being on good terms with the Colts organization instead of maintaining loyalty to the Broncos.  Reggie as a WR.  Marvin Harrison.  Edgerrin James.  That feeling after Marlin Jackson intercepted Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game in Indy (which to me felt like a SB Championship in itself).  Hearing Bob Lamey announce games on the radio.  

Sorry for the long post.  There's so much I miss.  

• Like 2

I miss being in the Super Bowl conversation every year...expecting to win, every single game...not worrying if we were down in the 4th, because deep down you knew we had Peyton Manning and would find a way to win (and we almost always did).

There was about a 6 year stretch where I legitimately expected to win every single game, because no team was actually "better" than us.

People don't realize that we were SO GOOD during the Manning years, that there’s still only a couple teams in the entire league with a better record than us over the past 20 years, which is really saying something as bad as we’ve been the past 10.

• Like 1

Basically from 2003-2014 we were a powerhouse. We had just 1 bad season which was 2011 but it got us Luck. From 2003-2010 with Peyton, we were 99-29 during the Regular Season with 2 SB Appearances (2006/2009) and a SB win in 2006. From 2012-2014 with Luck, we were 33-15 during the Regular Season with an AFC Championship Game appearance in 2014. I miss that.

• Like 1

I miss Bob Sanders smacking the crap out of dudes.  I feel like this defense hasn’t had that same intensity and nastiness since then.  Even when Shaq was out there being an absolute menace, the defense still had a little softness to it.  With every good defense, there’s either one or a couple of players you can point and say “that’s the bad guy no one wants to go against”.  That menace defensive player that teams have to game plan for.  I think Latu can become that guy.  

• Like 1

I miss John Unitas, John Mackey, Mike Curtis and Bubba Smith. They were some great teams. Now you have a defense that every year is soft and a GM that is stubborn and thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Sorry to say but we would be better off if Irsay would sell the team.

I miss the "sweet spot" of relevance the early 2000's seasons brought forth with Peyton. As long time loyal fan, endured "the move", laughed/mocked at for staying a fan and the horrible teams/seasons. Laughing stock of the NFL in so many different ways. Then Peyton changed all that...for awhile. Those teams with Dungy brought forth a sense of integrity the way they played the game and were coached. Now it feels long forgotten and mediocre.