Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts MVP this season

SR711

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The NFL Schedule maker - clearly the team MVP. 

We do have 4th place schedule and we played down to the Browns and Saints and lost. We barely beat NE and if it wasn’t for Kenny Moore we could have lost that game. The team needs focus on Atlanta and be flat 

28 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We do have 4th place schedule and we played down to the Browns and Saints and lost. We barely beat NE and if it wasn’t for Kenny Moore we could have lost that game. The team needs focus on Atlanta and be flat 

Idk about played down to the Browns. They had the #1 defense at the time and we put 38 up on them. Saints sure, I'll count starting Tony Brown as playing down.

As far as MVP for the colts, I'd have to say Pittman. While not a premiere WR, the plays he has made throughout the season have really defined the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I second this. 

Yeah, with what he has done with not having Taylor most of the season and a backup QB is pretty amazing. His play calling is 2023 (in the now), not 1993ish as well. If he wasn't our head coach, we would not be 8-6. We have had a lot of injuries and have still managed to have a good/fun season.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Shane Steichen

100% the head coach and his ability to adapt around injuries and get the most out of Minshew. He has had Minshew longer than Kevin O'Connell having Dobbs and Mullen, Zac Taylor having Browning (though Browning has exceeded any backup expectations to this point and might be better than Minshew in the small sample space, I have seen).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I like Shane as well, but I'm going to say Minshew.  I think he's done a fabulous job considering his limitations. 

Minshew has shown me a lot this season. I am a fan no doubt. I call him a backup and even have trouble with calling him a backup at this point. He has been an above average starter for us IMO. Nothing spectacular but he has found ways to win. I like QBs that are clutch and play good in 4th Qtrs and for the most part he has.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We do have to make sure it is clear that MVP is Most Valuable Person, and not Most Valuable Player, which automatically limits it to players. :) 

If it's player, I would go Minshew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steihen would be overall pick, I guess.  He's changed the culture here and his moves have had the great e impact on this team, no doubt.

As for a player...hard between Minshew, Buck and even Kenny Moore.  Kenny has helped out the CB turnstile the kids have gone through at that position.  He's been security back there again this year.

Gotta give some love to Minsh.  He's usually the one people are talking about pre-game.  All he has to do is be a good game manager and we'll be okay.  I think he has exceeded that this year.  Maybe his best as a pro??  I don't know the stats, but...

Buckner is just Buckner.  His level never seems to drop very far.  He's the anchor of the D.

• Like 3

This year has been crazy. If we would have won the browns game ( we did just not officially) we would be in the top 3 if I’m not mistaken and would have beaten the number one team in the ravens.   As bad as we have looked in some of our losses we aren’t as far away as some people think.  If Richardson can be a top 10 Qb and we have one more good draft this team can seriously do some damage next year. 

• Thanks 1

I like all who point to Steichen, though I suspect the OP was talking about players.  

So on that basis, I’m going with Minshew.   He’s the only player who touches the ball on every play.   He makes the right calls and audibles.   If we had been going with Sam, I doubt we’d have been this successful.   Props to Minshew for keeping our season alive and in the playoff hunt. 

What a fun year!!       :colts:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m honestly going to go with minshew.  He doesn’t have the stats but he’s the glue for this team.  As minshew goes, this team goes.  This season could’ve been an absolute disaster.  But minshew came in, steadied the ship, and has continued to improve.  

if I had to go a non-qb it would be Pittman.  Started out the year with his usual dependable production but these past 5 weeks he’s turned it up another notch.  When we need a catch, he’s there.  And he’s starting to get targeted deep.  Unfortunately, that has led to his injury but hopefully he’ll be back soon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

This year has been crazy. If we would have won the browns game ( we did just not officially) we would be in the top 3 if I’m not mistaken and would have beaten the number one team in the ravens.   As bad as we have looked in some of our losses we aren’t as far away as some people think.  If Richardson can be a top 10 Qb and we have one more good draft this team can seriously do some damage next year. 

What I’m hoping this team gets this upcoming offseason:

another WR1, every down pass rushing DE, FS, pass catching TE, stud LBer

Filling those spots, whether with a FA or draft pick is very doable.  Ballard has to get it done.  Spend the capital. 

we’re not that far.

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I’m honestly going to go with minshew.  He doesn’t have the stats but he’s the glue for this team.  As minshew goes, this team goes.  This season could’ve been an absolute disaster.  But minshew came in, steadied the ship, and has continued to improve.  

if I had to go a non-qb it would be Pittman.  Started out the year with his usual dependable production but these past 5 weeks he’s turned it up another notch.  When we need a catch, he’s there.  And he’s starting to get targeted deep.  Unfortunately, that has led to his injury but hopefully he’ll be back soon.

Exactly. Anyone that knows anything about football knows Minshew has played above average football and good in the 4th qtr of close games. He played evenly with Lamar Jackson who is arguably the MVP, outplayed QBs like Baker Mayfield,  Bryce Young, Mac Jones, and Will Levis. He is obviously better than Mitch Trubisky as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

What I’m hoping this team gets this upcoming offseason:

another WR1, every down pass rushing DE, FS, pass catching TE, stud LBer

Filling those spots, whether with a FA or draft pick is very doable.  Ballard has to get it done.  Spend the capital. 

we’re not that far.

Why FS and not a CB we have Blackmon who is playing lights out, Cross, Thomas and Daniel Scott coming back off IR. We don’t know what’s the deal with Kenny if he’s coming back. And even if he doe’s outside of him we lack proper depth. 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, with what he has done with not having Taylor most of the season and a backup QB is pretty amazing. His play calling is 2023 (in the now), not 1993ish as well. If he wasn't our head coach, we would not be 8-6. We have had a lot of injuries and have still managed to have a good/fun season.

Nice job Ballard too.  There was a lengthy interview process and it seems he got this one right!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Minshew.

If he can hold his turnovers to 1 per Game, this is a very dangerous team

For the stats guys:

Minshew = 2739 Yards

63.3 Comp %

14 TD's passing

3 TD's running

8 INT's

3 Fumbles lost

57.5 QBR which is 14th in the league. He is 6-4 as a starter as well. That is above average on any scale. Take away the name Minshew and put Levis name there, some in here would say Levis is having a great season and 6-4 on top of ithomer simpson dancing GIF

• Like 3

Its got to be Steichen.

To be a rookie coach, dealing with a star player hold out, future of the franchise QB hurt at the beginning of the season, multiple suspensions and injuries, most teams would have packed it in, like we did last year. It is so hard to keep things on the rails and everyone motivated as a coach. Let alone a rookie head coach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Why FS and not a CB we have Blackmon who is playing lights out, Cross, Thomas and Daniel Scott coming back off IR. We don’t know what’s the deal with Kenny if he’s coming back. And even if he doe’s outside of him we lack proper depth. 

In my opinion, Thomas is cool and definitely has overplayed his draft position, but he’s not it.  Keep Blackmon at SS and get a ball hawking FS.  Cross, Thomas, and Harrison will provide nice depth and time when we go with our 3 safety packages.

Im ok with the CBs we have.  Beginning of the year I thought we were doomed with the group, but they’ve actually been solid.  Brents, Jones, and Moore are a healthy trio.  We’re getting flowers back next year.  And maybe we can pick up another player in the draft or sign a cheap vet for depth.  Jones and Brents with a year of experience under their belt should improve.  Since both of our starters at CB are on rookie deals, we could use that money to maybe go and grab an impact player.

i know with our CBs, they’ve been assisted by our pass rush, but it seems we’ll be having the same d line next year, maybe even grab a FA like chase young.  So I think we can expect the same production from that group next year.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Exactly. Anyone that knows anything about football knows Minshew has played above average football and good in the 4th qtr of close games. He played evenly with Lamar Jackson who is arguably the MVP, outplayed QBs like Baker Mayfield,  Bryce Young, Mac Jones, and Will Levis. He is obviously better than Mitch Trubisky as well.

yeah, I have to admit I thought we were done.  I’ve even called minshew checkdown happy feet Charlie on here.  But he’s come along nice and starting to even throw it deep.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

In my opinion, Thomas is cool and definitely has overplayed his draft position, but he’s not it.  Keep Blackmon at SS and get a ball hawking FS.  Cross, Thomas, and Harrison will provide nice depth and time when we go with our 3 safety packages.

Im ok with the CBs we have.  Beginning of the year I thought we were doomed with the group, but they’ve actually been solid.  Brents, Jones, and Moore are a healthy trio.  We’re getting flowers back next year.  And maybe we can pick up another player in the draft or sign a cheap vet for depth.  Jones and Brents with a year of experience under their belt should improve.  Since both of our starters at CB are on rookie deals, we could use that money to maybe go and grab an impact player.

i know with our CBs, they’ve been assisted by our pass rush, but it seems we’ll be having the same d line next year, maybe even grab a FA like chase young.  So I think we can expect the same production from that group next year.  

We don’t Know that Blackmon , Kenny, Pittman or Grover will be back. So I think it’s safe to say any of those 4 positions could be addressed. I can almost guarantee you that Safety is not high up on the list of positions to draft. They spent  a 5th round pick on Daniel Scott who they were really high on before his injury. If I had to bet on it. They try to resign Blackmon and if he walks they will slide Nick Cross in and let him get a crack at the starting position. They’re more than comfortable with Rod Thomas play so I don’t foresee him getting the boot anytime soon. He isn’t a world beater but the kid is solid and consistent. Scott will return to prove to be depth or compete for a shot at the starting role of Blackmon walks. I don’t see them spending a high value pick on the safety position tbh. They may draft a developmental guy in the later rounds. 

Oh and btw Harrison was officially moved to LBer he is no longer considered a safety, or playing in that position. Not sure if you knew that.

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

We don’t Know that Blackmon , Kenny, Pittman or Grover will be back. So I think it’s safe to say any of those 4 positions could be addressed. I can almost guarantee you that Safety is not high up on the list of positions to draft. They spent  a 5th round pick on Daniel Scott who they were really high on before his injury. If I had to bet on it. They try to resign Blackmon and if he walks they will slide Nick Cross in and let him get a crack at the starting position. They’re more than comfortable with Rod Thomas play so I don’t foresee him getting the boot anytime soon. He isn’t a world beater but the kid is solid and consistent. Scott will return to prove to be depth or compete for a shot at the starting role of Blackmon walks. I don’t see them spending a high value pick on the safety position tbh. They may draft a developmental guy in the later rounds. 

Oh and btw Harrison was officially moved to LBer he is no longer considered a safety, or playing in that position. Not sure if you knew that.

I’m assuming since we have the cap space and we’re high on those guys and ballards rep for retaining our own, most of if not all of those guys will be back.  They’ve earned contracts.  Only way I see someone walking is if we’re fine with what we have (ex. Letting okereke walk) or someone swooping in and overpaying.

im not saying use a high draft pick to get a safety because I think that should be spent on WR or DE.  If we do draft a FS, I hope it doesn’t affect grabbing a talented WR or DE.  And as I said above, use the capital.  We could sign in FA.  But I do agree, out of the positions I listed, FS is at the bottom of it.  I’d be ok with going with Thomas next year, but if an upgrade is there and doesn’t compromise a position of need, then pull the trigger. 

Regarding the rest of what you said, my reply would be if this team is not looking to improve in areas of need and instead still giving shots to players who have been here and sat, then this team is going to waste ARs rookie contract.  Look around the league, the template is to get your QB of the future and build strategically during his rookie deal (ex. Hurts, purdy, Mahomes).  I would honestly be disappointed in Ballard if he’d be ok with letting Blackmon walk and sliding nick cross into the starting role.  

Of course, this is just my opinion.  I’m going off of what other successful franchises have done recently.  Regarding us, we’ve built the foundation for almost 10 years.  We have our qb now and we just lost a year from him.  So the clock is ticking.  Time to start putting talent around him.  

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like all who point to Steichen, though I suspect the OP was talking about players.  

So on that basis, I’m going with Minshew.   He’s the only player who touches the ball on every play.   He makes the right calls and audibles.   If we had been going with Sam, I doubt we’d have been this successful.   Props to Minshew for keeping our season alive and in the playoff hunt. 

What a fun year!!       :colts:

Every play??? Special teams wins games too…but I know what you meant 😊