Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Pittman hit / Kazee suspended

hambone35

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pittman definitely got lucky.  That could have been A LOT worse.

Agree

1 hour ago, hambone35 said:

I really hope Pittman doesn't have any lingering issues after that hit! Really dirty in my opinion just bad glad he walked and seemed ok but..... 

Yeah.  The next few days will tell a lot.  Hopefully just like you said.

• Like 3

What should have the defender done? Just let him catch the ball?  He turned and tried to lead with his shoulder. Unfortunately, that also leads to him not seeing his target. Considering Pittman was diving it was inevitable the hit was going to be high. Without playing touch football or banning the WR from diving that hit is going to happen unless the defender pulls up and lets him catch the ball. Frankly, that hit was Minshew’s fault. The game is not played in slow motion.  I hate seeing Pitt take that hit but I honestly ask what is the safety is supposed to do there? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

What should have the defender done? Just let him catch the ball?  He turned and tried to lead with his shoulder. Unfortunately, that also leads to him not seeing his target. Considering Pittman was diving it was inevitable the hit was going to be high. Without playing touch football or banning the WR from diving that hit is going to happen unless the defender pulls up and lets him catch the ball. Frankly, that hit was Minshew’s fault. The game is not played in slow motion.  I hate seeing Pitt take that hit but I honestly ask what is the safety is supposed to do there? 

I'm usually on the side of the defender as they keep making it harder for them to play and making the area they can hit smaller, but that was an egregious hit. He did use his shoulder but he aimed for Pittmans head. The defender could have played against the ball or just aimed at the body. This wasn't a slow motion hit being analyzed, it was clear at full speed that he was trying to take Pittman out of the game, pure dirty and the refs made the right call to eject him.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The hit was designed to separate the receiver from the ball. Kazee knew that hit would result in potential damage to the neck or head as that was what Pittman was leading the way with. 

As a human, play the ball or let the catch happen and tag him down.  This game is not worth someone’s ability to walk or even the risk of it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

From the NFL Football Operations Website:

Article 9 (b)     

"Prohibited contact against a player in a defenseless posture is:

(1)  "forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Well two things come to mind. 

There’s rules against hitting defenseless receivers mid air. And there’s rules against targeting the shoulder and above area. Whether it’s a helmet leading tackle or a shoulder leading tackle, he broke both rules and he launched himself to do it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Well two things come to mind. 

There’s rules against hitting defenseless receivers mid air. And there’s rules against targeting the shoulder and above area. Whether it’s a helmet leading tackle or a shoulder leading tackle, he broke both rules and he launched himself to do it. 

In my mind that's what made it a dangerous play.  Pitt was diving and the defender launched himself in a direction *opposite* (towards) the receiver in the area of the head.  Just too dangerous a play to be acceptable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

In my mind that's what made it a dangerous play.  Pitt was diving and the defender launched himself in a direction *opposite* (towards) the receiver in the area of the head.  Just too dangerous a play to be acceptable.

The launching they said last night is what ultimately got him ejected as the league called down to the refs to do it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Did he launch?

13 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

So based on the answers the defender in the NFL is now supposed to let receivers catch the ball.  Due to Pittman diving and Minshew’s ball placement there was literally no way to hit him low and there was no way for the defender to intercept the ball.  

You are not taking the contrarian opinion here. You are taking the wrong stance. That is 100% the type of play and hit that the league is trying to get out of the game. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

NOT F’N launch head first! Pretty dang simple.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Minshew does seem to set his WRs up for big hits more than most QBs. I think it was Downs earlier who got hammered similarly. 

I doubt he does it more than most qbs.  I consider Peyton Manning to be the best QB I ever watched.   He laid Austin Collie and Dallas Clark out a few times.   The qb is trying to make a throw with very large and fast athletes coming at them.   It happens.   That's why those types of hits were banned.  It sucks for the defense,  but it is better for the long-term for pass catchers

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt he does it more than most qbs.  I consider Peyton Manning to be the best QB I ever watched.   He laid Austin Collie and Dallas Clark out a few times.   The qb is trying to make a throw with very large and fast athletes coming at them.   It happens.   That's why those types of hits were banned.  It sucks for the defense,  but it is better for the long-term for pass catchers

Yeah, I get your point — it probably just seems like it since I watch every play of every Colts game. 

16 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He was diving , the hit almost immediately occurred while Pittman was on the ground. The defender had ZERO target area. Kazee could have let up and touched Pittman to rule him down. The hit was completely unnecessary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

That's old-school on how defensive players were taught how to play. And then the victim of the hit was told he got his bell rung, add some dirt on it or given smelling sauce or something and told to go back in.... LoL.

Your right that these days defense is lacking but the ramifications of head and brain damage is too great. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

The launching they said last night is what ultimately got him ejected as the league called down to the refs to do it. 

I know we as fans have been hard on the officials but they got this one 100% right.  Hopefully the league follows up their actions Saturday with a suspension.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

So based on the answers the defender in the NFL is now supposed to let receivers catch the ball.  Due to Pittman diving and Minshew’s ball placement there was literally no way to hit him low and there was no way for the defender to intercept the ball.  

Actually, based on current rules.  

On 12/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, Hawkeyecolt said:

Like you said, there was no way for the defender to legally defend the pass. That doesn't mean it's okay to torpedo a defenseless player. You're too late to defend the pass, now you have to make a legal tackling attempt.

This was one of the more egregious hits. The defender had time and opportunity to adjust his approach. He lowered his head and speared the receiver, who was in a defenseless position. Even if Pittman hadn't been defenseless, this would have been an illegal hit because he led with the crown of his helmet. Sometimes I think defenders have little choice about the way contact is made on so-called "bang bang plays," especially when they're actually trying to defend the pass. But in this case, the defender knew he couldn't actually defend the pass, so he tried to punish the receiver.

This was an easy call. It was blatant and deliberate unnecessary roughness on a defenseless receiver, and he led with the helmet. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1