Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Predicts a 3-14 Season for the Colts in 2023 (Hahahahahahahahahaha)

Scott Pennock

So PFF published an article stating the Colts are going to go 3-14. This needs to be bookmarked so we can laugh at the end of the year about how trash these predictions are!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-record-prediction-every-game-2023-adam-rank/

There is no way the Colts will have a worse record this season than last! 

They had 4 Wins and a Tie PLUS lost to Washington, Philly, Minnesota and Houston when they shouldn't have with what I would humbly consider a WORSE roster.

Three wins is laughable with the talent this roster has! 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So PFF published an article stating the Colts are going to go 3-14. This needs to be bookmarked so we can laugh at the end of the year about how trash these predictions are!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-record-prediction-every-game-2023-adam-rank/

They had 4 Wins and a Tie PLUS lost to Washington, Philly, Minnesota and Houston when they shouldn't have with what I would humbly consider a WORSE roster.

I see the name Adam Rank in the url, so I know to ignore it completely haha

Dude is so bad at predicting things, and is still a salty bears fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh well that makes perfect sense then! But still, 3-14 is just out there!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Agreed, except I think Rank is with NFL network, not PFF. Maybe, they're letting him do the Rankings just for his namesake, other than that there's nothing to see in his Wrongkings. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Meh we could easily go 0-17. Even Peyton only won 3 his rookie year

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Meh we could easily go 0-17. Even Peyton only won 3 his rookie year

I am not basing this off of Richardson/Minshew being better than last years stiffs...........

There were a lot of factors that drug the team down last year and the infusion of a new Coach and some key staff members will ignite some stuff methinks........ Am I talking about winning the division, no, but a more modest 7-10 to 9-8 record is achievable in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

3 wins isn't totally insane, it could absolutely happen. 

I think we'll do better than that, but it isn't all that crazy to suggest we could go 3 - 14... until this team proves otherwise, we're still the dumpster fire that we were last year, and at best we are a total unknown with a new rookie head coach and a rookie qb who according to all experts (pretty much universally) needs a year or even 2/3 before he starts to show what he can really do.

My hopes are high, but expectations are low.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I am not basing this off of Richardson/Minshew being better than last years stiffs...........

There were a lot of factors that drug the team down last year and the infusion of a new Coach and some key staff members will ignite some stuff methinks........ Am I talking about winning the division, no, but a more modest 7-10 to 9-8 record is achievable in my humble opinion.

I think a modest record like you claim is achievable but we do have a TON of question marks so it’s easy to draw the conclusion of a very low win count or even no win count. 

Our QB room is rather young and Minshew is meh. If AR starts, he’s very raw and mistakes will be made so no one really knows how he’ll work out.

our Secondary is gonna be new and young. 

our WRs are rather inconsistent and young as well, plus our WR1 is banged up as is our rookie. 

OL is still a question mark

and to top that,

we have a new first time Headcoach. Historically teams with this many question marks, have rough seasons. 

that said, with our schedule, I think we’ll finish our record slightly better than last year, but not by much

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It don't surprise me there is a prediction we will only win 3 games. Personally I am thinking we should be better than some think. 

• Like 3

This is a very deceptive schedule in 2023.

If the team is gelling really well then most certainly, we could win enough games to potentially give us wildcard contention.

On the other hand, it's also a year where two projected generational QB's will be available at the top as well as two generational skill positions in Harrison JR and Bowers.

Personally, I hope AR5 shows enough promise for years to come, while the team loses enough games to put us in the top 5.

I'm not sold on Pittman (never was) and/or pierce, and or any of our TE's. I was hoping Granson would become a Cooley type hybrid, but I don't know what happened to this cat.

Anyway, we need alpha skill position players.

Better for Colts to lose in a fully stocked AFC with intention on building for the future.

Just my :2c:

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Richardson could potentially be a bottom-5 QB this year in a worst-case scenario. He's completely raw right now and learning how to play the position. Even Minshew with Steichen isn't some major upgrade. The Texans have Stroud who is probably as good as Mills already and is much more refined than Richardson, the Jags have Lawrence who has taken it to the next level, at least for this year, the Titans are a 6-8 win team who will give us trouble this year (before Henry declines) regardless if Levis actually turns into anything. 

We may have the worst QB play in the AFC (at least for this year). We still have injury trouble from last year with Taylor and Leonard. Rodgers is in all likelyhood done on this team. This year could be a learning experience for this team. I think the ceiling is 9 wins, but could we win 3 games as the floor? Absolutely.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

we want the number 1 pick next year

Then trade it and get a lot of extra picks

This would be ideal. It would be the closest way to replicate the Andrew Luck pick from 2012, instead, trading it this time to rebuild the team into a juggernaut. 

1 hour ago, mirobi48 said:

we want the number 1 pick next year

Then trade it and get a lot of extra picks

Not me.  I hope we never see the number one pick again in my lifetime.  I would hate it if we were the worst team in the league again.  Number 32 out of 32.  What a horrible thought.  First pick or multiple picks makes no difference.  Fortunately I think this team is too good to finish with only three wins.  There is a lot of talent on our roster.  17 games will give it plenty of opportunities to showcase it.  Plenty of time for AR to improve.  I think there is more talent on this team that Peyton worked with as a rookie and Peyton was a statue and we know AR is far from that.  Last place I don’t see it.  I don’t want it that’s for sure.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there is more talent on this team that Peyton worked with as a rookie

My thoughts exactly.

Whatever the record is this year, I think comments about where Peyton was and where Richardson is now, means nothing, this is a team game.

• Like 2

Just now, BlackTiger said:

We have not seen enough to make a good prediction yet, its not even clear how much AR and GM are going to play

Yep. This is an inaccurate June prediction. We have limited info right now. However, that's what a forum is about. We discuss the team until the season starts, and our predictions get more accurate as we gain more info. You learn, you adapt your viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

My thoughts exactly.

Whatever the record is this year, I think comments about where Peyton was and where Richardson is now, means nothing, this is a team game.

Yes….   But still…. 

I think the difference between Peyton and AR is enormous.  I don’t think it can be over-stated.  

Peyton started for three and a half years in college.    AR basically started for one.   That gap is the size of the Grand Canyon.    Many (most?) of the mistakes AR makes this year will be the mistakes he would have made in college.   Learning on the job in the NFL is never easy and as Ballard noted on draft day it’s often not going to be pretty.   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   But still…. 

I think the difference between Peyton and AR is enormous.  I don’t think it can be over-stated.  

Peyton started for three and a half years in college.    AR basically started for one.   That gap is the size of the Grand Canyon.    Many (most?) of the mistakes AR makes this year will be the mistakes he would have made in college.   Learning on the job in the NFL is never easy and as Ballard noted on draft day it’s often not going to be pretty.   

Yeah, I've come down from the optimism of 9 wins a few weeks ago personally (even with the easy schedule). Richardson is very raw, and he'll need to learn everything at the NFL level. Even with Steichen it's a steep learning curve. We've had some annoying injuries and other random stuff (like the Rodgers gambling fiasco) happen, so I can also see it being difficult. Rodgers is gone, Scott is out for the year with a torn ACL (that's already two secondary guys). I believe Taylor will be fine, but I don't trust Leonard and Nelson with their injuries 100%. We've seen Pittman and Downs get hurt already, and although it shouldn't affect their status for the regular season, it takes away valuable reps that Minshew and Richardson can have with them. 

Seeing how QBs on a new team start slow in the Reich era, I expect it again this year, especially when Richardson is a 21-year-old rookie. 

Anyway, this team has gotten notoriously unlucky with injuries, and it's creeping up already. Hope it doesn't continue. Not fair to Ballard that so many key players that he hits on always get hurt the way they do. To him or the fans even though it's mostly random, bad luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   But still…. 

There's also another big major difference in the two. Richardson can escape out of pocket and make plays with his legs, at an elite level.

Here's another thing, Richardson isn't going to be throwing 575 times(36 attempts per game, then)and highly doubt he is going to be anywhere near 28 turnovers.

Again though, this isn't all about 1 guys individual performance. That Colts team in 98 is rather similar on Offense(rookie QB, feature RB, middle road OL)but the defenses are on completely different levels, whether Leonard is back or not.

Defensive Starters     

LDE Bernard Whittington 

LDT Tony McCoy 

RDT Ellis Johnson

RDE Bertrand Berry

LLB Steve Morrison 

MLB Mike Barber

RLB Elijah Alexander

LCB Jeff Burris

RCB Tyrone Poole 

SS Robert Blackmon 

FS Jason Belser

That's an ugly scene.

29/30 in pts per game allowed - 27.8 ppg(.4 from last place Bengals)

29/30 in yards per game allowed - 364.8 ypg(.3 from last place Panthers, 4.6 more than Bengals)

Arguably worst defense in the league, Bengals probably the only team that might be able to stake a claim to that title from them. Colts take that title imo though.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?lg=NFL&yr=1998&type=reg&cat=T&group=D&conf=&sort=ptsgm

2022 numbers:

17/32 in yards per game last year - 334

T-28/32 in ppg game last year - 25.1

And before I see correlation on ppg allowed. League scoring is clearly much higher now, and Colts only allowed 21ppg the first 10 games(would of been in the 14-16 range). Went up 4ppg over final 7 game losing streak. 

11 teams averaged less than 20ppg allowed in 1998

4 teams averaged less than 20ppg allowed in 2022

Colts ratios last year were 57.9 pass/42.1 run(60 pass/ 40 run in 1998)

Eagles ratios last year was 50.4 run/49.6 pass

This alone will help our defense more this year as well, once our ratios come closer. 

One thing that can be said for sure is, we are not going to be arguably the worst defense in the league this year, not even close. 

• Like 6

I'm not going to wait until the end of the season to laugh......I'm ROFLMAO right now!!

We're just starting the "NFL Summer Vacation" - and - as such - everyone is going to write anything and everything they can and continue to draw their pay check.

I'm satisfied that - IF the "injury bug" doesn't take a toll on our team - we can improve to AT LEAST an 8 or 9 win season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   But still…. 

It's an entirely different NFL now than it was 25 years ago. It's a much more offense and QB friendly league now vs then. AR will outshine Mannings first year ...and it won't even be close.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This would be ideal. It would be the closest way to replicate the Andrew Luck pick from 2012, instead, trading it this time to rebuild the team into a juggernaut. 

Which in hindsight is what we should have done honestly. Given the results 

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's an entirely different NFL now than it was 25 years ago. It's a much more offense and QB friendly league now vs then. AR will outshine Mannings first year ...and it won't even be close.

This I’ll believe when I see it

• Like 1

I don't think the colts win total will be anywhere close to 3. 

I don't like to compare teams from one year to another but despite last years low win total the team was or at least showed flashes of being much better. 

But Losing Gilmore and Rogers will definitely hurt the defense. 

But JT and Leonard back will really help along with I think a much better coaching staff. 

And though AR5 is raw, he has great talent that he and Steinchen can take advantage of until he gets more accustomed to the NFL. 

And the AFC South is not MLB's American League East......

Another rookie QB in Texas, Tannehill and what's behind him scares no one, and I'm not even close to being sold on Trevor Lawrence or the organization he plays for. So theres a solid chance our QB play won't be too far below the rest of the division if not better?

So that's potentially 6 games in our division that's winnable along with what looks like a weak schedule outside the division.

In a passing league we're apparently not so great(ranked 25th) at the wr position and very weak and inexperienced at defending the pass....so that's not too appealing LoL. 

But I'm still holding to my prediction that the Colts and/or Texans claim first place with about 9 wins. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Which in hindsight is what we should have done honestly. Given the results 

This I’ll believe when I see it

In hindsight we would have had a GM who knew the value of offensive lineman and built the team to protect his franchise QB.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 12:13 AM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Never trust Adam Rank in fantasy football. I learned the hard way.  Actually ever trust any of his predictions. 

This ^^^

3-13 Maybe means AR is still learning but is showing he is the guy and on the right course and trending up in which case we get a Marvin HarrisonJr....

.....or....

AR is looking like a mistake and we draft his replacement/insurance policy.

I could live with a 3-13 season if it substantially increased the Colts odds of of returning to being a perennially elite team.

We should get used to that.  Nothing about our team will scream “rapid improvement” to any national analysts.  It’s funny - we started 4-5-1, with a win over KC.  Then, we lost the last seven.   Seems to me that the first half of 2022 was closer to who this team is, and the last bit was a lost team without any hope.  But, the media just thinks that we’re a four-win team that hasn’t improved much, if at all…

I honestly think this could definitely happen.  

Our defense is going to be BAD.  We’re very young and inexperienced at corner, our LB core isn’t the best, and we still are not sure about our DEs.

We have a rookie HC, we have a rookie QB who has 13 college starts under his belt.  I feel fine about the rest of our offense but those first 2 are VERY important.

I think our floor is 3 games and our ceiling is 7 games.  Who knows, AR might be way better than advertised and everything gels together.  But to say we’re only going to win 3 games isn’t a crazy thing to say.