Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

Not been super active recently and dont know if this has been discussed anywhere, if it has Mods please feel free to merge with another thread.

L. Jackson is clearly negotiable as a trade prospect if the Ravens still havent signed him, how much would you be willing to part ways for him? 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a 3rd? I know it is a lot to give up, but I feel like Steichen could develop an offense around him so well.

Could be a total pipe dream, but just wondering what everyone elses feelings on the matter would be?

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this moment, the Colts salary cap is as tight as it’s ever been in February under Ballard.   

Where are the Colts fitting in a contract that is roughly $45-50 million dollars this year?  

This isn’t make believe for your fantasy league.    There are limits any team can do, especially for the Colts this year.  

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Not been super active recently and dont know if this has been discussed anywhere, if it has Mods please feel free to merge with another thread.

L. Jackson is clearly negotiable as a trade prospect if the Ravens still havent signed him, how much would you be willing to part ways for him? 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a 3rd? I know it is a lot to give up, but I feel like Steichen could develop an offense around him so well.

Could be a total pipe dream, but just wondering what everyone elses feelings on the matter would be?

Not even a  27  7th rd pick

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Would be definitely doable for a proven QB (even if he's not that good passer) than giving draft picks to move up from #4. 

That is, unless Colts really want one guy in this draft who they evaluate to be a franchise QB talent. 

If Colts aren't sure about any of the QB prospects available this draft, then surely go ahead. Even if it's going to last for only next 5 years or less, that would be worth it, I think. 

@NFLfan  Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, Ravens could win more with Cousins than he'd ever with Vikings.. They may entertain trading (swapping) both QBs? 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

@NFLfan  Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, Ravens could win more with Cousins than he'd ever with Vikings.. They may entertain trading (swapping) both QBs? 

I don't mind trading Cousins to any team, but I don't want Lamar or any other high-priced QB unless it is Mahomes or other special young QB. I prefer drafting a QB.

I think the Ravens are a very smart team.  I believe they are too smart to trade for an high-priced QB like Cousins. When was the last time they signed a high-priced QB that was not home-grown?  

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't mind trading Cousins to any team, but I don't want Lamar or any other high-priced QB unless it is Mahomes or other special young QB. I prefer drafting a QB.

I think the Ravens are a very smart team.  I believe they are too smart to trade for an high-priced QB like Cousins. When was the last time they signed a high-priced QB that was not home-grown?  

Yeah, but Kirk is much better than McSoreley or Flacco with their defense, or any other option they'd get if they're going to part ways with Lamar. And Ravens could win with most backup QBs, let alone starters. They may draft someone like Levis / Richardson / Hooker and do it their way, but with Kirk they can immediately contend in their division, rather than with a rookie. 

Vikings can at least inquire what it would take in that scenario and see if ravens like Kirk. Vikings have to get away from Kirk anyway, if we are going to trust them to draft a franchise QB, I believe it'll not happen for next 5 years until next GM comes in or Kirk fades out to be below average. Even then, Vikings will have to hit on drafting the right QB, I don't see that happening for half a decade from now - which would be the timespan Lamar would be at his peak. 

18 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, but Kirk is much better than McSoreley or Flacco with their defense, or any other option they'd get if they're going to part ways with Lamar. And Ravens could win with most backup QBs, let alone starters. They may draft someone like Levis / Richardson / Hooker and do it their way, but with Kirk they can immediately contend in their division, rather than with a rookie. 

Vikings can at least inquire what it would take in that scenario and see if ravens like Kirk. Vikings have to get away from Kirk anyway, if we are going to trust them to draft a franchise QB, I believe it'll not happen for next 5 years until next GM comes in or Kirk fades out to be below average. Even then, Vikings will have to hit on drafting the right QB, I don't see that happening for half a decade from now - which would be the timespan Lamar would be at his peak. 

Yes, the Vikes should inquire but the Ravens are not going to trade for someone with that contract. I think some other teams (Jets, 49ers, maybe the Titans) are more likely to trade for Cousins. And I do not want to swap QBs. I want a rookie or some other young guy. We should draft BPA among QBs in the middle rounds. We could have drafted Howell last year. 

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

No thanks, and he's the main reason I have no interest in Richardson. 

We know. You have made it loud and clear. haha 

If we didn't have a top 10 pick, I'd be okay with now since Steichen is our coach. The dude is only 26. He probably won't play into his late 30s due to his play style but I bet he still can produce a few more seasons at an absolutely elite level.

IF this happens, I really hope we trade down in the draft and collect a whole bunch of picks before we make the trade and hopefully it won't take more than a first and a second.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Mobile doesn’t mean a running QB. Idk why this is said constantly. 

Except he is a running qb.  4400 yards rushing in 5 seasons.   That's with multiple missed games.   He averages 60 yards rushing a game.  That's the most by any qb in the history of the NFL

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:
32 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When did he hold out?  He missed games in 21 with an ankle injury and missed games in 22 with knee injury

When he started missing games, it was said that he could return for playoffs but in January, but he didn't report to the facilities as the contract talks were not going in promising manner for both parties. It was not confirmed if he recovered from injury early enough and if he was holding out for contract or if he was still recovering from the injury during playoffs. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, the Vikes should inquire but the Ravens are not going to trade for someone with that contract. I think some other teams (Jets, 49ers, maybe the Titans) are more likely to trade for Cousins. And I do not want to swap QBs. I want a rookie or some other young guy. We should draft BPA among QBs in the middle rounds. We could have drafted Howell last year. 

My point is Vikings are going to give at least 2 or 3 years extension shortly as a minimum and we're not going to get a rookie QB drafted to be the franchise' long term answer until the above plan goes horribly wrong, and they're going to part ways with Cousins. 

Only alternative available is upgrading the QB to a higher ceiling fee agent in his prime, like Lamar Jackson. 

Or the rookie QB they draft in later rounds who is going to surprise everyone by becoming the franchise QB, which usually happens only in dreams and fantasy, rarely in reality. 

Or Vikings draft someone promising but injured draft prospect like Hooker who happens to be available for their draft range. Whether Vikings will draft even if such opportunity presents itself is a big unknown. 

Or Vikings draft one of the top college prospects even after extending Cousins, and the rookie QB replaces Cousins in a year or so. The franchise doesn't do such stuff, maybe this new GM could, but he has only leaned on Cousins so far. 

So, I don't see any way Vikings will get a rookie QB drafted for many years into the future. They will most probably be tied up with Cousins until his retirement or until he starts playing like Matt Ryan did for Colts. 

Only possible way is to upgrade to a better, proven franchise QB when he doesn't get contract extension with his franchise, like Lamar Jackson. At this point, Vikings can't even afford to complain he's not a pure pocket passing QB, when they can't draft one either and when they can't understand that Cousins' ceiling is already seen which doesn't get them anywhere close to SB. 

I don't view Lamar's contract demands as exorbitant when Vikings have paid Cousins 200+ millions for mostly multiple bad seasons and only one playoff win. Lamar could at least get the team to playoffs routinely and team has a chance to win some more with him. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

My point is Vikings are going to give at least 2 or 3 years extension shortly as a minimum and we're not going to get a rookie QB drafted to be the franchise' long term answer until the above plan goes horribly wrong, and they're going to part ways with Cousins. 

Only alternative available is upgrading the QB to a higher ceiling fee agent in his prime, like Lamar Jackson. 

Or the rookie QB they draft in later rounds who is going to surprise everyone by becoming the franchise QB, which usually happens only in dreams and fantasy, rarely in reality. 

Or Vikings draft someone promising but injured draft prospect like Hooker who happens to be available for their draft range. Whether Vikings will draft even if such opportunity presents itself is a big unknown. 

Or Vikings draft one of the top college prospects even after extending Cousins, and the rookie QB replaces Cousins in a year or so. The franchise doesn't do such stuff, maybe this new GM could, but he has only leaned on Cousins so far. 

So, I don't see any way Vikings will get a rookie QB drafted for many years into the future. They will most probably be tied up with Cousins until his retirement or until he starts playing like Matt Ryan did for Colts. 

Only possible way is to upgrade to a better, proven franchise QB when he doesn't get contract extension with his franchise, like Lamar Jackson. At this point, Vikings can't even afford to complain he's not a pure pocket passing QB, when they can't draft one either and when they can't understand that Cousins' ceiling is already seen which doesn't get them anywhere close to SB. 

I don't view Lamar's contract demands as exorbitant when Vikings have paid Cousins 200+ millions for mostly multiple bad seasons and only one playoff win. Lamar could at least get the team to playoffs routinely and team has a chance to win some more with him. 

I get what you are saying. I'm not crazy about Jackson as a QB. He has some skills that Cousins does not have but he seems prone to injury. I don't like that.

Gosh, I hope we do not further extend Cousins. I would re-sign Mullens as he would not command so much. I don't think Cousins is that much better than Mullens 

As for the Colts, I don't like Lamar for them. They have gone the last few years with veteran QBs and it has not worked. I think they should draft one of the top QBs in this draft. I see Levis as the next Colts QB, but I like what I am reading about Young. 

Lamar is not a very good QB. The answer is NO.

Jackson is a superior athlete, but he's ultimately a one trick pony and I believe most teams know that. Even though running QB's are the trend right now, that QB still has to be able to beat you from the pocket and Jackson just isn't that. He's not a very polished passer. It's why the Ravens need the lead to win most times and when they've gone done by 10 or more points, they normally lose.

Jackson is a "name" in league circles only.  Hard pass. The Ravens are stuck imo. 

9 hours ago, buccolts said:

What is mobile and not running about Lamar? 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess his mobility didn't protect him enough. I think he was out the last 4 games last season and 5 this year. He lead his team in rushing. Kind of self explanatory.  

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Except he is a running qb.  4400 yards rushing in 5 seasons.   That's with multiple missed games.   He averages 60 yards rushing a game.  That's the most by any qb in the history of the NFL

I’m not specifically referring to Jackson in this instance. I’m referring to how anytime someone mentions having a mobile QB, it automatically turns into having a QB that just runs runs runs every play. Mobile = ability to escape the pocket and extend a play or run if it’s there. Luck for example was mobile enough to extend a play and run it if need be. Mahomes is mobile enough to extend a play or run if need be. THAT’S the mobile I’m talking about and want. 

20 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Lamar is not a very good QB. The answer is NO.

Jackson is a superior athlete, but he's ultimately a one trick pony and I believe most teams know that. Even though running QB's are the trend right now, that QB still has to be able to beat you from the pocket and Jackson just isn't that. He's not a very polished passer. It's why the Ravens need the lead to win most times and when they've gone done by 10 or more points, they normally lose.

Jackson is a "name" in league circles only.  Hard pass. The Ravens are stuck imo. 

Most of this is not true or only somewhat true.   For his career (which includes his rookie year):

Pass completions - 63.7%

Pass TD's - 101

INT's - 38

Rating - 96.7

I still wouldn't pay him what he wants.  The risk of injury is too high.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I get what you are saying. I'm not crazy about Jackson as a QB. He has some skills that Cousins does not have but he seems prone to injury. I don't like that.

Gosh, I hope we do not further extend Cousins. I would re-sign Mullens as he would not command so much. I don't think Cousins is that much better than Mullens 

As for the Colts, I don't like Lamar for them. They have gone the last few years with veteran QBs and it has not worked. I think they should draft one of the top QBs in this draft. I see Levis as the next Colts QB, but I like what I am reading about Young. 

I'm not crazy about Lamar either, but that's better option than Cousins. I'm pretty sure Vikings will extend Cousins soon, and clear the cap space and push the cap down the hill. That's how they'll make space for players to sign this off-season, I think that's why they moved the contract void date for Tomlinson to middle of the March. Compared to paying Kirk, I'd rather pay higher ceiling guy. Lamar isn't injury prone, missing 4-5 games in a couple of years happens, and it didn't just coincide this year with the contract situation with Ravens, he made sure he held out in the name of injury. When Cousins becomes weaker with age, he'd look like Matt Ryan and even worse.

The new coach had a tremendous season posting 13-4 record. Do you think he'd not like Cousins back? They will go with him for another 3 years minimum. 

We used to say Rick and Zimmer would go down with Cousins. Now we will be saying the same about the new HC and GM. Cousins will end up earning 350-400 millions from Vikings alone. All for big  nothing and inadequate fight in the important games. 

Archived