Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I'm hoping once my new job takes off I'll be able to devote more time to that stuff again. This past fall put me through the ringer. 

Yeah you were saying you were under the weather last year. Life sucks at times. I have had a lot of stress at work lately myself and health wise my taste buds and smell come and go which has me worried. It sucks when you can't taste your food.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Get out from that big contract you clearly do not want to pay and move on with a new rookie quarterback

Id rather the colts do that.  I like Lamar but not for what it will cost.  He takes a lot of hits and hasnt stayed healthy in a season long enough to take the Ravens on a run

12 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

just seems like something we would see from a guy like Jackson. I think his health should be a concern as it is. 

Last year was a nightmare, it always seemed like we just didn't make 1 play or missed a kick to lose a game. That 4-12-1 record wasn't the team we were IMO. I trusted Matt Ryan so much over Carson Wentz coming in and that move back fired. I do think Lamar would work here though for sure but the money is the issue.

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

People are afraid they are going to match us.  If we had a mid round pick yes.  But not the 4th overall.  I can see them taking it and moving to 3 actually.   Get out from that big contract you clearly do not want to pay and move on with a new rookie quarterback.  Jackson has an average receiving corps at best in Baltimore and you’re going up against Burrow and Watson in your division and Jackson will have a new OC this year as well.  I think they take our picks happily and move on.  

Ballard isn't giving up 2 firsts and a 200 million dollar contract 

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ballard isn't giving up 2 firsts and a 200 million dollar contract 

Likely not, but what he is giving up is Taylor, Pittman, B.Smith, Blackmon, Rogers, and possibly and Buckner and Grover next year by not being able to sign them.  In the years of the contract their would be really cheap journeymen, and only rookie contracts on the roster, that's a huge gamble.

On 3/25/2023 at 5:27 PM, Lifetime Colt said:

Likely not, but what he is giving up is Taylor, Pittman, B.Smith, Blackmon, Rogers, and possibly and Buckner and Grover next year by not being able to sign them.  In the years of the contract their would be really cheap journeymen, and only rookie contracts on the roster, that's a huge gamble.

None of that would be necessary.  The Colts have a tremendous amount of cap space in 2024 and that’s without getting Kelly and MAC off the books. 

I lean toward drafting Richardson but the other side of your argument is that the players you named are currently in their prime and at least one year would be wasted waiting on a rookie. 

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

None of that would be necessary.  The Colts have a tremendous amount of cap space in 2024 and that’s without getting Kelly and MAC off the books. 

I lean toward drafting Richardson but the other side of your argument is that the players you named are currently in their prime and at least one year would be wasted waiting on a rookie. 

That is the Seahawks methodology. Get the supporting cast and the D first, and when the right QB comes along, year 1 of RW they made the divisional round and year 2 of RW, they won the SB behind a dominant OL, running game and D. 

I don't expect them to replicate it in the current era where they won't let the D get away with manhandling WRs too much without penalties called and our DL doesn't run 7 or 8 deep like the Seahawks had, not to mention stellar ball hawking LBs, safeties and CBs that got in passing lanes to disrupt or pick off passes. What we can replicate is a bit of what the Eagles did but we don't sign or trade for FAs close to their contract year that willingly either, the Gilmore move suggests otherwise.

So, for 1 year I expect purgatory, and year 2 I expect to contend for the division moving forward with a rookie QB and constant talent added through the draft and FA. 

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I'd say the 2023 team (minus QB) is better than the 2012 team (minus QB).  Of course, no QB we get is going to be as good as Luck was.  I'm just making the point that you never know how a season is going to go.

Personally, I like the idea of riding with a rookie QB and HC.  I'm resigned to getting either Levis or Richardson.  

I won't be happy if we mortgage the future on Lamar.  He hasn't finished the last two seasons, and was horrible in his last playoff game.  He'll only get slower and more injured as time goes by.  And with franchise QBs being so rare, why isn't Baltimore giving him the contract?  They know him better than anyone.  Apparently they don't think he's the future either.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe titans or falcons try and get him.

The idea that teams are trying to get Lamar is all media talk about one of their favorite QBs. them trying to save face about how they made him the MVP one year.   

I'll bet that no NFL teams really wants to give much compensation for Lamar, and Ravens know it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The idea that teams are trying to get Lamar is all media talk about one of their favorite QBs. them trying to save face about how they made him the MVP one year.   

I'll bet that no NFL teams really wants to give much compensation for Lamar, and Ravens know it.

He asked for a trade so he won’t be going back to ravens.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s going to cost more then 2 firsts. So say goodbye to draft picks this year.

Chloe, this value is made up hype and always has been. 

Some team might believe it, but NFL teams do not have the defense or power running game that the Ravens built for Lamar...and when the Ravens drafted him, they already were 75% headed that way as a roster.   Ravens were always a bit of a unicorn in terms of roster construction and Lamar fit right into their model with only a slight tweaking needed.  They are the only team for him, and Harbaugh knows it.

ATL has nowhere close to that roster.

Another GM might trade for Lamar, but he doesn't have a brain if he makes a trade.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Chloe, this value is made up hype and always has been. 

Some team might believe it, but NFL teams do not have the defense or power running game that the Ravens built for Lamar...and when the Ravens drafted him, they already were 75% headed that way as a roster.   Ravens were always a bit of a unicorn in terms of roster construction and Lamar fit right into their model with only a slight tweaking needed.  They are the only team for him, and Harbaugh knows it.

ATL has nowhere close to that roster.

Another GM might trade for Lamar, but he doesn't have a brain if he makes a trade.

It would be one of the dumbest things Ballard has ever done. Especially when sitting at 4 in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would be one of the dumbest things Ballard has ever done. Especially when sitting at 4 in the draft.

Yep, it would.

The Ravens put a high price on Lamar because they want him back...not because that is his value.  No team is going to give up two firsts for LJ AND than sign him to a contract.  Injury history has nothing to do with that either.

Now, if Lamar digs in and makes himself of little value to the Ravens, then the circumstances have changed.  Whatever price is struck under those conditions does not mean that LJ has been worth two first rounders this whole time.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yep, it would.

The Ravens put a high price on Lamar because they want him back...not because that is his value.  No team is going to give up two firsts for LJ AND than sign him to a contract.  Injury history has nothing to do with that either.

Now, if Lamar digs in and makes himself of little value to the Ravens, then the circumstances have changed.  Whatever price is struck under those conditions does not mean that LJ has been worth two first rounders this whole time.

Taking Lamar and then turning around and letting them draft Richardson at 4  would just be dumb. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts should act like they are interested in Lamar to stop teams from trading up right now. Hopefully one of those teams like falcons gets him.  Send him to the NFC.  

The Commanders, with Snyder, I see capable of giving the NFL fits on his way out.

5 years $250 million guaranteed, and 2 first round picks. I double dog dare you, he tells the Ravens.

Ravens buckle, NFL owners cringe, Snyder sells his franchise and has a twisted last hurrah, much to the bewilderment of Commanders fans.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taking Lamar and then turning around and letting them draft Richardson at 4  would just be dumb. 

Neither of those QBs are worth pick 4 in this draft.  That's part of the reason why it would be dumb.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Commanders, with Snyder, I see capable of giving the NFL fits on his way out.

5 years $250 million guaranteed, and 2 first round picks. I double dog dare you, he tells the Ravens.

Ravens buckle, NFL owners cringe, Snyder sells his franchise and has a twisted last hurrah, much to the bewilderment of Commanders fans.

There may be a nearly 50% chance that happens, LOL.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well there is a good chance we draft Richardson.

Not a chance at all.  Unless Ballard is scared of not drafting a QB there.  The media and some fans would give Ballard a lot of cover for making such a dumb pick.  There is your chance.

As said before..... I personally dont expect it, and would be surprised if it happens

I ALSO say that the draft is the best place to get the QB of the future

But....... from my perspective ......  You have to at least consider the option

Richardson AND Levis are LONG SHOTS at best.......  When Young and Stroud were within reach......  It was a no brainer to go after one of them. 

Lamar is NOT a long shot...... he is a guy that would get THIS team to 10-11 wins

If you reduce his carries by half, you should see much less injuries.

I would only do this AFTER the draft, so that the picks arent as good that we give up.

I think giving up 4 for LAMAR is way too much

Again.... doubt it happens for LAMAR, but next year, if we take LEVIS or Richardson, we will be top 5 again....... we will be in a 

quandry as to what we do with this years pick especially if we are in range of one of the great talents at QB  in next years draft

Archived