Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

On 3/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, coming on strong said:

lamar is fine when he has the lead or the score is close but he struggles most of the time throwing to get back into games .    that heavy run offense only works when the score is close you go down 2 scores its hard to win . 

You must have forgotten about the Monday night Colts game when he brought the Ravens back from the dead peppering us with all those short passes. He can do it. Used to be bad at it but has improved.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Is there a way to structure a sensible deal that would work for both sides?

I think there is, is why I question some people that think we have to give him 50 mill a year with a ton guarantee'd. I want to hear from Lamar's mouth what exactly he wants otherwise I am not believing what any tweet says or what the media says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think there is, is why I question some people that think we have to give him 50 mill a year with a ton guarantee'd. I want to hear from Lamar's mouth what exactly he wants otherwise I am not believing what any tweet says or what the media says.

You don't need to hear it from Lamar. If he wasn't asking for something completely ridiculous the Ravens would have already signed him. If he is so good that teams should be tripping over each other to sign him you dont think the Ravens want to keep him...they aren't just cheaping out they just refuse to be as stupid as the Browns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

You must have forgotten about the Monday night Colts game when he brought the Ravens back from the dead peppering us with all those short passes. He can do it. Used to be bad at it but has improved.

You can't use 1 game as an example.  Jackson hasn't been available for 2 seasons in a row now and some act like he is the clone of Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably is on a short term deal. Like front load the first 3 years with whatever guarantees as long as such and such is met. Then whatever for the final 3 years. As long as theres enough protection in the deal to not be hamstrung for more than 3yrs. For example. Im just playing along. I dont think Ballard pulls the trigger though.

47 minutes ago, esmort said:

You don't need to hear it from Lamar. If he wasn't asking for something completely ridiculous the Ravens would have already signed him. If he is so good that teams should be tripping over each other to sign him you dont think the Ravens want to keep him...they aren't just cheaping out they just refuse to be as stupid as the Browns.

Name 7 QB's better than him in the league right now, so he is that good, I will waitBarack Obama Mic Drop GIF- once you get up to 5 you will really get desperate. 

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can't use 1 game as an example.  Jackson hasn't been available for 2 seasons in a row now and some act like he is the clone of Mahomes. 

You most certainly can use 1 game to show ability bc the game happened and he did it. And im pretty confident i can pull up his body of work and find other recent games. Injury comes along with the craft. Hes 26 at QB so very good chance his career is far from over. You just protect yourself in your deal structure from stuff thats not advantageous. Im not going to act like Lamars game isnt nice. Hes more than just a running QB. His game is improving.

Hes asking for a contract similar to what someone else got. Thats not greed, thats trying to meet the market.  I do doubt we do the deal but im not going to say Lamar isnt worth it. Hes a better passer than Vick, his game continues to evolve and he keeps his nose clean. Hes never been in trouble. I prefer to draft our QB but at the very least i would say i can see why people would like to get him 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Name 7 QB's better than him in the league right now, so he is that good, I will waitBarack Obama Mic Drop GIF- once you get up to 5 you will really get desperate. 

You’ll actually find a lot of networks and analysts have had him out of the top 7… 

But what the hell, my kid just puked in my face so I’m not getting sleep tonight apparently: 

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Hurts

5. Rodgers

6. Herbert

7. Lawrence 

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You’ll actually find a lot of networks and analysts have had him out of the top 7… 

But what the hell, my kid just puked in my face so I’m not getting sleep tonight apparently: 

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Hurts

5. Rodgers

6. Herbert

7. Lawrence 

Lawrence or Herbert hasn't proven to be better. What have they won? The 1st 5 I can buy, but Rodgers is 39 and even if Lamar is 8th that is still very good, almost great. Herbert or Lawrence hasn't came anywhere near an MVP,  like Lamar won. Lawrence has 1 playoff win like Lamar, he beat Herbert is why chuckling homer simpson GIF. The 1st 4 you listed, I agree with after that it is desperation time haha 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lawrence or Herbert hasn't proven to be better. What have they won? The 1st 5 I can buy, but Rodgers is 39 and even if Lamar is 8th that is still very good, almost great. Herbert or Lawrence hasn't came anywhere near an MVP. like Lamar won. Lawrence has 1 playoff win like Lamar, he beat Herbert is why chuckling homer simpson GIF. The 1st 4 you listed, I agree with after that it is desperation time haha 

I don’t feel very desperate to be honest putting those names down. I’m looking at what those QBs can do for 2023, not what they’ve done in the past. 

And yeah, I’m biased because I’m a Bengals fan so no I don’t like Jackson as much as everyone else. But I’ve probably seen him play full games and in person more than most on here, who only see the highlights. Lamar has an MVP, no dispute there. But is he really that successful in the post-season? 

He could and honestly should be put in 5th place. But it didn’t sit well with me that he refused to play when the team needed him for the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t feel very desperate to be honest putting those names down. I’m looking at what those QBs can do for 2023, not what they’ve done in the past. 

And yeah, I’m biased because I’m a Bengals fan so no I don’t like Jackson as much as everyone else. But I’ve probably seen him play full games and in person more than most on here, who only see the highlights. Lamar has an MVP, no dispute there. But is he really that successful in the post-season? 

He could and honestly should be put in 5th place. But it didn’t sit well with me that he refused to play when the team needed him for the playoffs. 

To be fair to Lamar, what help have they given him? Because Rodgers is 39, I would have Lamar probably 5th. I don't know all the facts but it seems to me maybe it is Baltimore's management playing games with him because he doesn't have an agent. I would be willing to bet $1000, if Baltimore doesn't have Lamar behind center next year they will miss the playoffs. Easy bet. They may even finish last in the North without him.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be fair to Lamar, what help have they given him? Because Rodgers is 39, I would have Lamar probably 5th. I don't know all the facts but it seems to me maybe it is Baltimore's management playing games with him because he doesn't have an agent. I would be willing to bet $1000, if Baltimore doesn't have Lamar behind center next year they will miss the playoffs. Easy bet. They may even finish last in the North without him.

I'm glad I haven't heard any verifiable rumor that the Colts are interested in Jackson.  

To the people that don't want Lamar, don't worry we aren't getting him anyway going by our history. I just think it would be an awesome splash and help us win considering he is a top 7 QB at worse. So all this Lamar talk is bull anyway but I think the guy is a borderline great QB so I keep it going. If we draft a QB, I want Young so I am crap out of luck there too because he will go #1 or #2 haha . I guess like I posted the other day, I just have to be happy with what ever happens and hope it works. Ballard better hope it works or he will be looking for another job in all likely hood chuckling homer simpson GIF- his butt is the one on the line, none of us in here but as fans we have to suffer if the right choice is not made.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To the people that don't want Lamar, don't worry we aren't getting him anyway going by our history. I just think it would be an awesome splash and help us win considering he is a top 7 QB at worse. So all this Lamar talk is bull anyway but I think the guy is a borderline great QB so I keep it going. If we draft a QB, I want Young so I am crap out of luck there too because he will go #1 or #2 haha . I guess like I posted the other day, I just have to be happy with what ever happens and hope it works. Ballard better hope it works or he will be looking for another job in all likely hood chuckling homer simpson GIF- his butt is the one on the line, none of us in here but as fans we have to suffer if the right choice is not made.

But you can't be sure anymore than anyone can be sure it's not in the best interests of the Colts. You just said it yourself.  He is a borderline great. Now you want the Colts to pay him as if he is the greatest? Somehow I just don't think he has earned that distinction.  

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't care if he is one of the 7 best QBs in the league right now ... I wouldn't be extorted by a player into giving a ridiculous contract. Another negative about giving him a contract like he's asking for is injury. Unlike some of the other top QBs, and even QBs who aren't necessarily considered to be at his level is if he sustains an injury where he loses a step I don't think he is a QB that can operate primarily from the pocket. IMO without his legs he goes from a top 5-7 QB to barely serviceable; unlike some of the other top QBs who even if they sustained an injury that impacted their mobility many could still be high level QBs.

If we are interested in QB like Lamar and his play style we can likely take AR15 and have a younger Lamar for cheaper and less draft capital. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

personally I think our new HC teamed up with Lamar would probably pretty exciting football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I don't care if he is one of the 7 best QBs in the league right now ... I wouldn't be extorted by a player into giving a ridiculous contract. Another negative about giving him a contract like he's asking for is injury. Unlike some of the other top QBs, and even QBs who aren't necessarily considered to be at his level is if he sustains an injury where he loses a step I don't think he is a QB that can operate primarily from the pocket. IMO without his legs he goes from a top 5-7 QB to barely serviceable; unlike some of the other top QBs who even if they sustained an injury that impacted their mobility many could still be high level QBs.

If we are interested in QB like Lamar and his play style we can likely take AR15 and have a younger Lamar for cheaper and less draft capital. 

Lamar is underrated as a passer. AR15 is a hell of a talent though. He could develop into a good passer, he damn sure can run :thmup:

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

But you can't be sure anymore than anyone can be sure it's not in the best interests of the Colts. You just said it yourself.  He is a borderline great. Now you want the Colts to pay him as if he is the greatest? Somehow I just don't think he has earned that distinction.  

I don't think Lamar is the greatest, you do know within probably the next 3 years that QB's will be paid even higher than today. I think Lamar deserves top 5 money. I have really never heard Lamar say what he actually he wants, I have heard what other people are saying what he wants through tweets/media. I am not sure we or another team would have to make him the highest paid QB, people are just assuming that.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lawrence or Herbert hasn't proven to be better. What have they won? The 1st 5 I can buy, but Rodgers is 39 and even if Lamar is 8th that is still very good, almost great. Herbert or Lawrence hasn't came anywhere near an MVP,  like Lamar won. Lawrence has 1 playoff win like Lamar, he beat Herbert is why chuckling homer simpson GIF. The 1st 4 you listed, I agree with after that it is desperation time haha 

I'll throw my .02 in.   

If Herbert or Lawrence were available like Lamar is.  I'd guess every team other than these top 7 would already have offers in.  So I disagree.  

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

I'll throw my .02 in.   

If Herbert or Lawrence were available like Lamar is.  I'd guess every team other than these top 7 would already have offers in.  So I disagree.  

Even if Lamar is 8th out of 32 teams, that is still at the very good level. I have too see Lawrence play good 2 years in a row before I put him ahead of Lamar. I remember when Carr had a great year in 2016 and many said he was better than Andrew Luck. I knew that was bologne and it proved to be once Luck had his 2018 season. Carr has never played at the level Andrew played at in 2012-2014/2018. Lawrence or Herbert has never played at a level like Lamar did in 2019 and 2020.

• Like 1

If I had to be realistic and guess, my gut tells me that we end up with Will Levis lmao . If we do I pray it works out. Maybe he will turn out like Josh Allen?

Josh Allen is the hope for sure with him. I think with Shane leading the way it could work out. But it's anyone's guess what happens. Not even Chris and Jim can predict what will happen this season. 

Who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong and Jackson becomes a Colt. It'll take me a bit to accept it, but I can't argue the fact that he would be the best QB on our team since Rivers. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Josh Allen is the hope for sure with him. I think with Shane leading the way it could work out. But it's anyone's guess what happens. Not even Chris and Jim can predict what will happen this season. 

Who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong and Jackson becomes a Colt. It'll take me a bit to accept it, but I can't argue the fact that he would be the best QB on our team since Rivers. 

I have definitely been wrong before, hell I thought Matt Ryan would be good here, I missed that one by a mile. Other factors played into him being bad as in mediocre Line play, Taylor being injured, but Matt was pretty bad at times. I was right about Rivers, saying he would be good but he was just too old unfortunately after 2020. I hated the Wentz signing, although we weren't a bad team with him but his true colors showed up the last 2 games.

Is Lamar the GREATEST? NO! But he has EARNED top 5 QB pay. Kyler and Daniel Jones aren't even close to Lamar's talent, look at their contracts (WAY over paid imo).  He should be paid similar if not more than those two at the very least. If Colts are interested they can get creative to make it work. Chiefs make Mahomes salary work, it can be done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have definitely been wrong before, hell I thought Matt Ryan would be good here, I missed that one by a mile. Other factors played into him being bad as in mediocre Line play, Taylor being injured, but Matt was pretty bad at times. I was right about Rivers, saying he would be good but he was just too old unfortunately after 2020. I hated the Wentz signing, although we weren't a bad team with him but his true colors showed up the last 2 games.

I really do get the frustration on Lamar's end. He's better than Watson. I'm not even sure if I could put Watson in the top 8. Maybe top 10? 

So for Watson to get all of that money, after sitting out, and then the whole controversy stuff... It's just not a good look for the Browns or honestly the NFL in general. 

So many of us are starving for money, living paycheck to paycheck and working our * off with multiple jobs... And it just... isn't exactly a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing all of this money being thrown around for let's face it, a profession that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really alter daily life. 

Like if sports just ceased to exist, sure it would suck and be a boring world, but it's not like humanity itself would end... I want to have sympathy for Jackson, but I just can't... If he wanted, he could afford an NFLPA certified agent and most of this mess would be over and at the end of the day he'd still have more money than he knows what to do with.

Maybe I need sleep. Maybe I need to work less and not get puked on at 1:30 in the morning... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I really do get the frustration on Lamar's end. He's better than Watson. I'm not even sure if I could put Watson in the top 8. Maybe top 10? 

So for Watson to get all of that money, after sitting out, and then the whole controversy stuff... It's just not a good look for the Browns or honestly the NFL in general. 

So many of us are starving for money, living paycheck to paycheck and working our * off with multiple jobs... And it just... isn't exactly a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing all of this money being thrown around for let's face it, a profession that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really alter daily life. 

Like if sports just ceased to exist, sure it would suck and be a boring world, but it's not like humanity itself would end... I want to have sympathy for Jackson, but I just can't... If he wanted, he could afford an NFLPA certified agent and most of this mess would be over and at the end of the day he'd still have more money than he knows what to do with.

Maybe I need sleep. Maybe I need to work less and not get puked on at 1:30 in the morning... 

I love your opinions, always mad respect for you. Watson is probably top 10 but he has to come back and play a full year and prove it. As of now Dak is better than Watson, JMO, but Watson is a better talent. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Hell, you are the only one that almost beat me on our weekly picks (last 2 years), I beat you by 1 game in 2021 and you had me worried because I take pride in my predictions and picks haha . 

22 minutes ago, NJFanatic said:

Is Lamar the GREATEST? NO! But he has EARNED top 5 QB pay. Kyler and Daniel Jones aren't even close to Lamar's talent, look at their contracts (WAY over paid imo).  He should be paid similar if not more than those two at the very least. If Colts are interested they can get creative to make it work. Chiefs make Mahomes salary work, it can be done

Yep, Daniel Jones couldn't carry Lamar's jock strap. Good post.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love your opinions, always mad respect for you. Watson is probably top 10 but he has to come back and play a full year and prove it. As of now Dak is better than Watson, JMO, but Watson is a better talent. 

Thanks man, you know I've got your back most times on this place. We've got to keep that positivity as best we can! Watson has all the talent in the world, no argument there. Gotta see him do what Mayfield did though and make the playoffs and win a playoff game. 

Hell, you are the only one that almost beat me on our weekly picks (last 2 years), I beat you by 1 game in 2021 and you had me worried because I take pride in my predictions and picks haha . 

That was a fun year. I agree with you a lot on those picks was the problem haha... 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thanks man, you know I've got your back most times on this place. We've got to keep that positivity as best we can! Watson has all the talent in the world, no argument there. Gotta see him do what Mayfield did though and make the playoffs and win a playoff game. 

That was a fun year. I agree with you a lot on those picks was the problem haha... 

That last week we agree'd on everything. I was hoping you would just change it on that final Sunday as in 2 of your picks to make me have to take some Tums lmao . 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah @Chrisaaron1023is good too on his picks, he is always in the thick of things. I missed our competition though last year, you had me on the ropes big time. 

• Like 1

Off topic but I am not sure what is worse, me thinking Matt Ryan would be good here or picking Purdue to go to the Final 4 and they lose to #16 FDU Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- I have had some flops but I have been right a lot too. Sports is a 50/50 thing as I have learned over the years, one week you feel like a God at picking, the next week you feel like doo doo when things don't go your way lmao 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah @Chrisaaron1023is good too on his picks, he is always in the thick of things. I missed our competition though last year, you had me on the ropes big time. 

I'm hoping once my new job takes off I'll be able to devote more time to that stuff again. This past fall put me through the ringer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hard to come up with a deal the ravens cant or wont match.   They are paying him 32 mil now and we dont even have that atm.  We could get more with some moves but so could they

People are afraid they are going to match us.  If we had a mid round pick yes.  But not the 4th overall.  I can see them taking it and moving to 3 actually.   Get out from that big contract you clearly do not want to pay and move on with a new rookie quarterback.  Jackson has an average receiving corps at best in Baltimore and you’re going up against Burrow and Watson in your division and Jackson will have a new OC this year as well.  I think they take our picks happily and move on.