Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Hurts was close to an elite passer in 2022. Among the NFL leaders in several key passing categories. 

4th in quarterback rating, 3rd in avg yards per pass attempt (8.0), 10th in completion percentage (66.5), 10th in yards per game (246.7), 22 TDs to 6 INTs

Jackson's passing numbers are middle of the league among starting QBs. Not elite, but still a better passer than some here would imply.

Comparing either of these guys to Anthony Richardson at this point in his career doesn't make sense. Maybe some day he'll be close to the passer they are (probably not in my opinion, but who knows?), but right now he was much worse as a college passer this season than Hurts and Jackson are as NFL passers. 

And he did all this with who is now our head coach, which is why I'm hopeful that his numbers could improve.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

1) Jackson is not an elite passer

2) Great runner but how long will that last?

3) injury prone-didn’t finish last two seasons

4) Wants too much money. Do you want 20% of the teams cap wrapped up in him?

Yes.  It's a no-brainer.  Don't sign him.  

My final word on this subject:

Franchise QBs are GOLD in the NFL.  They're rare.  Every team needs one.  Those teams without them keep going back to the draft to find one.  There aren't enough superlatives to express how important the most position in sports is worth to a team.

That all being said - Why aren't the Ravens doing everything in their power to sign him?  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Franchise QBs are GOLD in the NFL.  They're rare.  Every team needs one.  Those teams without them keep going back to the draft to find one.  There aren't enough superlatives to express how important the most position in sports is worth to a team.

That all being said - Why aren't the Ravens doing everything in their power to sign him?  

They have it in their power to give him what he wants and end it.  They obviously have decided not to.  Two years of trying.  Both sides are at an impasse.  It’s looking like someone else is more likely to pay him than the Ravens.

40 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Man I see a bunch of numbers and yards... what about wins? No?

Jalen Hurts only passed for 22 touchdowns...

What are we talking about here? You'll happily sacrifice wins and relevance for more passing yards?

jimmy g   has tons of win is that on him only or his team ?   flacco won tons of games with the ravens is that on him only or the team ?     the eagles were a talented team that is why they were in the super bowl  very good in the trenches with elite skill positions .      of course lamar is a upgrade and could get the colts to the playoffs but thats it .  the team is not good enough to pay lamar 50 million a year  .   we have to resign pittman taylor  and got guys like grover stuart and buckner contracts coming to an end they need new contracts too .    then add in losing two first round picks  it just not worth it right now .   if lamar was a free agent and we could sign him for 40 million a year i would be in favor .  

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Oh yeah, they just signed Mecole Hardman.

Between Lazard, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson and Mecole Hardman, Rodgers does NOT have any shortage of weapons to throw to. Jets might win that division, IMO.  I am not even mentioning Denzel Mims and Corey Davis, might be a good time to trade for Mims with a low draft pick.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots go after Lamar Jackson if Rodgers and Allen are in their division, just a hunch.

I hope that happens.  And I also hope we play them later in the season when Lamar is done.  His contract only calls for 12 games a year, right?

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

because he is not a great passer he is like mike vick elite running solid passer .   his passing stats are average  put up kirk cousins or jimmy gs passing stats to lamars they are way better .    i want a mobile QB who can be a pocket passer like mahomes allen and like luck was .

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not disagreeing with you but I think the Lamar thing isn't just about the two #1 picks and the huge contract..... It's about  FULLY GUARANTEED CONTRACT that the NFL owners are against and seems like their uniting(collusion) to keep that away. 

And the Colts can't have superstars.  Don't forget that nonsense take you have

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

because he is not a great passer he is like mike vick elite running solid passer .   his passing stats are average  put up kirk cousins or jimmy gs passing stats to lamars they are way better .    i want a mobile QB who can be a pocket passer like mahomes allen and like luck was .

It was kind of a rhetorical question - pointing out that if the Ravens thought Lamar was a franchise QB they'd do everything in their power to sign him.

Everyone wants the next Mahomes or Allen.  I'm not sure he's in this draft class, but I think Stroud is close.  Young is too but I fear he won't last in the NFL.  

If the Colts sign Levis or AR, I'll support that decision.  But I expect either of them will take time to develop, and I'm good with that.  (I prefer Hendon, but that's just me).

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They have it in their power to give him what he wants and end it.  They obviously have decided not to.  Two years of trying.  Both sides are at an impasse.  It’s looking like someone else is more likely to pay him than the Ravens.

Or they want someone else to do the hard work for them.

It is like the Ravens saying "we can offer 4 years $200 million guaranteed if we have to but unless another team also does that indicating that teams are willing to do that other than the Browns, we will let you and the other teams do the hard work for us so that all we have to do is match."

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Or they want someone else to do the hard work for them.

It is like the Ravens saying "we can offer 4 years $200 million guaranteed if WE HAVE TO but unless another team also does that indicating that teams are willing to do that other than the Browns, we will let you and the other teams do the hard work for us so that ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS MATCH."

I can see the Ravens taking that approach but if they told me that to my face I would be PO’d.  That would change my view of them as an organization.  They think I am worth it but to heck with you we are only doing it if we are forced to.  I would ask for a trade at that point.  

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

That's only if they sign him AFTER this year's draft. 

And I believe that is what most of the QB needy teams are thinking.   If we give up a top 5 pick this yr and Lamar  Lamars next yr it would be a late(er) 1st round in 24 and also in 25.  If they wait until after the draft they'd assumably be giving up 2 later round draft picks and getting the guy they can with a high first rounder this year.     Hope that makes sense 

Okay, Okay. Let’s say hypothetically the Ravens KNOW they won’t keep Lamar. Wait and see how the draft falls. If Arizona trades out and Will Anderson is available take him. And then see if we can entice them to give us Lamar for our 2nd and 4th or something and then our 1st and 3rd next year. We get a top flight pass rusher and a former MVP in his prime. *shrug*

6 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So if some team does try to sign Jackson, when do you think would be the opportune time? Before the draft or after the draft? When does Jackson have to sign the franchise tag?

He wouldn’t have to sign until November or something. But typically the big time players will only hold out until camp before signing and returning.

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

A lot of noise on Sirius XM NFL Channel’s Moving the Chains, saying Colts should offer a 3 year fully guaranteed contract with the franchise tag thereafter off the table. 

As much as Lamar may indeed be, as a player, the “no brainer” alternative to what’s available in this draft, no way I want the team to give up TWO number 1s, this year being a premium pick, for a guy that might be gone in after 3 years.  

If he’s locked up for 5 years or more, ok, then maybe I can stomach two # 1s, but honestly, I’d just rather the team roll with who they can get at # 4, or go get Aaron Rodgers and give a 2nd rounder to GB to get him (I don’t see GB getting a number 1),& draft a BPA stud at number 4 this year and still have your # 1 next year. 

That was Pat Kirwan’s suggestion. Every single person said Baltimore would match that. They’re just doing Baltimore’s work for them with that suggestion.  

No

Look for the Colts to trade back and acquire a 2024 first round pick as leverage and draft our future franchise QB with either UNC Drake Maye or USC Caleb Williams.  Get same dual threat QB as Jackson but younger version without all the baggage.  Williams already said he wants to play for a young coaching staff and Steichen is the youngest coach in our history at 37.  Although not sure I trust a QB coming from Oklahoma let alone via USC pipeline that produced Manziel or Mayfield.  Leaning towards Maye at this point in time.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:38 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No. He hasn’t finished the last two seasons. That’s not a move a team makes sitting at 4 in the draft.

Yes, you are so correct and does everyone  understand how much salary cap he’d eat up a ton so no thanks 

On 3/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, krunk said:

I dont think its a 1st from this year. According to this article its a 1st in 24 and a 1st in 25

www.stampedeblue.com/2023/3/22/23651123/indianapolis-lamar-jackson

That would make it a much better deal.  I have seen multiple talking heads discussing it, each seeming to be going by different rules. 

21 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I just think that relationship is fractured

44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I just think that relationship is fractured

It's fractured because he wants to be paid like a top QB, with guaranteed money.  If they really thought he was the answer, they would pay him.

But they know he's a run first QB, who will get slower as he ages, has accuracy issues, and has missed the last two playoffs because of injuries.  Not to mention the way he played in his last playoff game.

Any team that gives him what he wants is crazy, IMHO.  And, so far, I don't see any crazy teams.  

I just hope Irsay and Ballard can see it too.

22 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Because Lamar is being unreasonable.  

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It really is a no brainer.  Lamar and the Colts.  First Peyton then Luck and now Lamar is there for the taking.  Talk about getting lucky again for a 3rd time.

Big difference between Manning, Luck and Jackson.  Both Manning and Luck were on rookie contracts while Jackson wants the biggest contract in history. So no, it wouldn't be lucky.  Jackson is over valuing himself.  

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Big difference between Manning, Luck and Jackson.  Both Manning and Luck were on rookie contracts while Jackson wants the biggest contract in history. So no, it wouldn't be lucky.  Jackson is over valuing himself.  

We really don't know what Jackson values himself at other than he feels like he deserves a huge payday. By the way Watson (I should say the Browns) has screwed everything up. Lamar is better than Watson.

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It really is a no brainer.  Lamar and the Colts.  First Peyton then Luck and now Lamar is there for the taking.  Talk about getting lucky again for a 3rd time.

You and I are on the same page, it is a money thing though. I would try everything to make it work if I was us but I have no control on it. I think Lamar can stay healthy with the right team around him, that part doesn't bother me.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We really don't know what Jackson values himself at other than he feels like he deserves a huge payday. By the way Watson (I should say the Browns) has screwed everything up. Lamar is better than Watson.

It was Haslam that made it bad on the other owners. Now it's up to the owners to put a stop to it. 

Personally I think Jackson is overrated. Plus I'm not too sure that Jackson is more talented than Watson. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It was Haslam that made it bad on the other owners. Now it's up to the owners to put a stop to it. 

Personally I think Jackson is overrated. Plus I'm not too sure that Jackson is more talented than Watson. 

I think Lamar is better but talent wise it is pretty even. Watson has played on a lot of good teams that had Hopkins and Watt on D. Lamar has carried the Ravens, his TE has been his best target. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And don't forget 0 division titles and a sub .500 record in the last 8 seasons in a weak division........ How's those facts grab you? :funny:

Well it's obvious.   The colts aren't allowed to have play makers. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And don't forget 0 division titles and a sub .500 record in the last 8 seasons in a weak division........ How's those facts grab you? :funny:

The problem with “those facts” is that they include 2015 and 2016.   The GM those years was Ryan Grigson.    Only the last 6 years are on Ballard’s record.   

Now THOSE are the facts.    :funny:

Archived