Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

I think the ultimate answer to this is the Colts don’t have the salary structure to accommodate Jackson’s salary demands. Their current structure screams for a rookie QB whose salary they can reasonably control  for 5 years. 
So we should get our collective heads wrapped around the idea of a rookie QB being taken early in the first round. That’s the reality of the Colts’ situation. 

No.

He'd be expensive in acquiring AND very expensive in resigning.....and though he's  tremendously athletic and a weapon he hasn't showed that he can be a upper echelon passer. 

So far he's mostly a Running QB and there are other Running QB's  that may be acquired for a lot less.....Justin Fields if the Bears decide to Draft his replacement.... AR15 in the Draft. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think the ultimate answer to this is the Colts don’t have the salary structure to accommodate Jackson’s salary demands. Their current structure screams for a rookie QB whose salary they can reasonably control  for 5 years. 
So we should get our collective heads wrapped around the idea of a rookie QB being taken early in the first round. That’s the reality of the Colts’ situation. 

Not that I want Jackson, but restructuring deals easily frees up cap space for more spending. Again, I don't want Jackson. Just making a point.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pelt said:

Not for $50+ million a year - all guaranteed.

Just because Cleveland was stupid enough to do that with Watson doesn't mean other teams should.

Guaranteed money for an often injured player playing the oft injured position of RB, who happens to play it from under center/shotgun, would seem to be a dopey thing to do. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think he wants $230 million fully guaranteed… like Watson. I doubt we would give him that. 

I believe it was Pat Kirwin on NFL radio  said on said that the rumors he's heard is Lamar was looking for more than the Watson deal. That Baltimore had offered the a deal the size of Watson's with over half guaranteed and LJ flat turned it down.

He said made him wonder if LJ was trying to force his way out of Baltimore because he doesn't believe any team will match/beat the Watson deal.

Considering Lamar: thinking, thinking, answer is no. He wouldn't want the salary unless everything is guaranteed. Colts are not about to do that just because the Browns were stupid enough. 

BTW, does  Lamar seriously think every team will pay guaranteed money like the Browns? He needs to get back to reality.  Original contract: 5 year 250 million sounds good to me. "only" 133 million guaranteed, guess that wasn't enough. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:28 PM, Chucklez said:

Not been super active recently and dont know if this has been discussed anywhere, if it has Mods please feel free to merge with another thread.

L. Jackson is clearly negotiable as a trade prospect if the Ravens still havent signed him, how much would you be willing to part ways for him? 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a 3rd? I know it is a lot to give up, but I feel like Steichen could develop an offense around him so well.

Could be a total pipe dream, but just wondering what everyone elses feelings on the matter would be?

The cost would literally be too high, in both salary and compensation. From all reports Lamar is looking for a fully guaranteed contract and, as pointed out earlier in the thread, has had injury issues the last 2 years. 

I suspect Baltimore is going to end up franchise tagging him this offseason 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:28 PM, Chucklez said:

Not been super active recently and dont know if this has been discussed anywhere, if it has Mods please feel free to merge with another thread.

L. Jackson is clearly negotiable as a trade prospect if the Ravens still havent signed him, how much would you be willing to part ways for him? 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a 3rd? I know it is a lot to give up, but I feel like Steichen could develop an offense around him so well.

Could be a total pipe dream, but just wondering what everyone elses feelings on the matter would be?

He would 'be too much he wants Watson's money which is insane. 

"We're gonna throw to score points," and we're gonna run to win" says coach Steichen. If this is what coach is looking for in a QB would Jackson be the best fit? Maybe, if coach has said the opposite that would be true. This also makes me wonder who coach Steichen prefers to be his next QB?  Who is the best thrower in this draft?

6 hours ago, philba101 said:

"We're gonna throw to score points," and we're gonna run to win" says coach Steichen. If this is what coach is looking for in a QB would Jackson be the best fit? Maybe, if coach has said the opposite that would be true. This also makes me wonder who coach Steichen prefers to be his next QB?  Who is the best thrower in this draft?

To make that plan work you need a really good throwing QB.  But you don't need a really good running QB. I would rather have RBs be the primary in the running game.

There are reports that Lamar Jackson will refuse to play under the franchise tag. (How do they know this?) The Ravens will have all kinds of problems if he does sit out. I checked out the Ravens' forum, and many fans aren't happy with the situation. They're saying the season is lost if Jackson plays under the tag,  that he should ask for a trade.  Some say pay him, others say just let him go and move on to a new QB. 

Whatever happens, there will people who are unhappy with the decision Baltimore makes. (Kind of like this forum-can't please everyone. )

4 hours ago, teganslaw said:

There are reports that Lamar Jackson will refuse to play under the franchise tag. (How do they know this?) The Ravens will have all kinds of problems if he does sit out. I checked out the Ravens' forum, and many fans aren't happy with the situation. They're saying the season is lost if Jackson plays under the tag,  that he should ask for a trade.  Some say pay him, others say just let him go and move on to a new QB. 

Whatever happens, there will people who are unhappy with the decision Baltimore makes. (Kind of like this forum-can't please everyone. )

I hope Baltimore stands their ground. If Lamar doesn’t want to go with what the players negotiated for, let him go home with no money. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

sign lamar give him whatever he wants, trade back and draft the best wr available. that is the colts way. a proven qb, wr, extra picks. thats a pretty good off-season imo

Andrew Luck would be nice lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

sign lamar give him whatever he wants, trade back and draft the best wr available. that is the colts way. a proven qb, wr, extra picks. thats a pretty good off-season imo

This is an idea no one has brought up

1 hour ago, 4daUColts said:

We have like 12 threads on this already…

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We have like 12 threads on this already…

I feel the need to say how opposed to this idea in every one of them too.

Very opposed.  Often injured, not accurate.  May as well sign Cam after his Auburn pro day.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, coltsfanej said:

Sign him and trade back? From 35? If we sign him we lose our 4th pick and nexts years 1st rounder. 

the status of Jackson requires whoever signs him to give up 2-first round picks. The picks must be their own or greater value. 

Was about say this. I’m seeing a lot of arguments about trading back our 4 after getting Jackson and I guess a good portion of the public doesn’t realize the stipulations for trading and getting Lamar… 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Was about say this. I’m seeing a lot of arguments about trading back our 4 after getting Jackson and I guess a good portion of the public doesn’t realize the stipulations for trading and getting Lamar… 

You’re much more diplomatic than me.   I chose not to respond.   But looking at the responses I see several posts that tried to be very diplomatic.    Well done.   :hat:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re much more diplomatic than me.   I chose not to respond.   But looking at the responses I see several posts that tried to be very diplomatic.    Well done.   :hat:

Thanks friend, on good days like today my mood can’t be brought down and I don’t mind trying the diplomatic route. I sometimes forget that not everyone is as into football as we are. 

• Like 1

• Nadine changed the title to Has anyone considered Lamaar Jackson? (merge)

I did at one point but not anymore.  I thought if we ran it back with last years defense and add some pieces to the offense along with Lamar, we’d have a legit chance to be at least AFCCG contenders.  But since we’ve lost pieces, I think it’s best to go into a semi-rebuild mode and that’s going to be hard to do with a qb eating up a lot of cap.

as I said regarding the fields trade, grabbing a qb we have to pay now or sooner than later is going to shorten our retool clock.  We don’t have a qb away roster.  

On 2/25/2023 at 2:17 PM, CR91 said:

As great as Lamar is, he's been hurt and missed games every year since his MVP season. Do you really wanna pay 300+ mil?

He has won ONE playoff game on his rookie contract

He is an improvement over what we have but after some thinking in the topic,  

He isnt the guy we should go with

On 2/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, NFLfan said:

I hate the term "running QB". I find it insulting. JMO.

Lots of people throwing spaghetti on the wall with their bias on Lamar included about his throwing abilities. Throwing a comparison.

Josh Allen:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Lamar Jackson:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackLa00.htm

Folks still have this bias against QBs that can run to ignore the reality, IMO. The true issue is not Lamar’s throwing abilities that are much improved. The issue is the amount of guaranteed money in light of the games missed the last 2 years. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3