Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich hired as HC for Panthers

Gigc

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Good luck coach.

Frank Reich, the new panthers head coach

Irsay did Reich a favor firing him. Had he stuck around and been fired at end of season (which would’ve happened as team was just bad), no way he gets this job

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Good for him. I think the Panthers become a key team to look out for to trade up in the draft now. Reich may have learned his lesson. 

So, does this save Irsay a TON of money? To my knowledge, coaches only get paid once.

Yes Irsay is now off the hook for 36 million I believe. 

• Shive changed the title to Reich hired as HC for Panthers

Good for Frank. Hope he hires an OC to call plays this time around.

I am thinking he brings Jim Caldwell in for OC, from his former Peyton Colt days familiarity. At least there is a good chance he has the same QB for a few years, lol :) 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I think it depends upon the contract. Irsay is still responsible for the extra money if his contract doesn’t pay him $9 million per season, correct?

Yeah. I wonder if it is the total contract money that is the basis (say 5 years at $6 million equating to $30 million) or is it the per year amount. 

30 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it depends upon the contract. Irsay is still responsible for the extra money if his contract doesn’t pay him $9 million per season, correct?

I’m not 100% sure. I would assume he is making at least 6 mil a year. Not sure on the length though. So maybe we are still on the hook for a little. Better than the whole 36

Not surprising that he would be the first one hired.  He's a quality HC.  Not surprising to me it was CAR.

Also, I mentioned on this forum that...I think it was during that Kirk Cousins congratulation or an interview about it....that he said he was "busy packing up here in Indy getting ready to move to Carolina".   This was way before the season ended.   I thought he meant that he was personally relocating to warmer climate, but I also was aware that CAR had a HC vacancy and wondered....hmmmm.

Looks like he was penciled in as the new CAR HC before interviews even started.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Not surprising that he would be the first one hired.  He's a quality HC.  Not surprising to me it was CAR.

Also, I mentioned on this forum that...I think it was during that Kirk Cousins congratulation or an interview about it....that he said he was "busy packing up here in Indy getting ready to move to Carolina".   This was way before the season ended.   I thought he meant that he was personally relocating to warmer climate, but I also was aware that CAR had a HC vacancy and wondered....hmmmm.

He also already had a home in Carolina. His daughter now works for the panthers too. 

30 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Oh boy, frank coaching a team with no QB of their own starting someone else’s spare parts instead?

Good luck with that. 

Maybe all those TE screens will finally work out. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7j5wwfci5cyy4fosuds

He can use best RB Christian McCaffrey down the middle all 3 downs. Oh wait Christian McCaffrey is with 49ers.. oh boy

I don’t like the way it went down here in Indy but I will always wonder why he started Pryor and Pinter.
  I guess they felt that Pryor at LT would be temporary until Raimann developed and Pinter showed flashes but boy, he looked really bad as a guard!
  I’m any case, good luck to him in Carolina.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I don’t like the way it went down here in Indy but I will always wonder why he started Pryor and Pinter.
  I guess they felt that Pryor at LT would be temporary until Raimann developed and Pinter showed flashes but boy, he looked really bad as a guard!
  I’m any case, good luck to him in Carolina.

They were the guys he had man.  They paid Pryor 6 mill.  He was the guy earmarked to play LT.  Raimann was really bad his first few games too.  Wasn’t ready Game 1.   Course Pryor wasn’t ready in game 1, 2, 3, 4, . . .15, 16, or 17 lol.

5 hours ago, Gigc said:

Good luck coach.

Frank Reich, the new panthers head coach

I think what people are missing is this. The  Panthers  quite obviously think it is a talent issue with the Colts and they are not held in such high esteem as people on this board think. I am kind of glad he go a job and  I believe I predicted it on this board. I think we r going to see that Irsay fired the wrong guy.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Good for Frank. Hope he hires an OC to call plays this time around.

I am thinking he brings Jim Caldwell in for OC

omg really - Caldwell sucked. But you're right, if the Panthers have any clue (and tbh hiring Reich I have to wonder), they made it clear up front they are hiring an OC who WILL call the plays.

I live in North Carolina. Always have been a die hard Colts fan with only pulling for teams playing against the patriots,Titians,Jags and the Texans. Told my wife that I may start pulling for the panthers a little if they are not playing against the Colts. This has suddenly made that decision a little less intriguing. 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:13 PM, DougDew said:

Turns out, Frank has long had a home in Carolina.   That’s why Frank was packing up.    He’s got lots of family and they live in Carolina too.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Turns out, Frank has long had a home in Carolina.   That’s why Frank was packing up.    He’s got lots of family and they live in Carolina too.   

Frank backed up Kerry Collins the Panthers first season. Looks like he started 3 games that season.  

His daughter just took a job with the Panthers early in January.  

Archived