Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The popular opinion is that we cannot upgrade on Wentz. It might be right to an extent in the sense that we might not be able to get a QB with Wentz's physical potential who has the brains that Wentz didn't have (actually it's highly unlikely). We won't find that guy because when you combine Wentz's physical abilities with brains, you basically get an Elite QB. Wentz has serious potential, it's why three teams have traded early round picks for him his entire career.

However, if we're looking for a QB with an uptick in brains and lesser physical abilities i.e. a pure game manager (which is what we asked Wentz to be yet his galaxy brain simply couldn't manage that), i think there are TONS of cheap upgrades. Grab almost any of the much heralded names in free agency and they can match Wentz's actual performance, I'm pretty certain of this. Folks, we can trash our pass catchers and we'd probably be right, but in 2021 Carson Wentz matched Jacoby's performance from the year 2019, he was not good and teams knew it. The coaches knew it, the owner knew it. These writers in the media are all talking about leadership and all this stuff, the basic fact is the dude stank the joint up, period. Anyone quoting his 27:7 ratio should be forced to watch curling for the rest of their days and banned from watching football.

Sure we all want an ELITE top 5 QB but it aint happening. None of the cheap FA QBs will be that, they may be able to match what Wentz gave us and maybe slightly surpass it but they're who they are for good reasons. It is highly unlikely to be a rookie QB who turns elite because even Andrew Luck was merely very good in his 1st year NOT elite. Thirdly, Carr and Jimmy are not elite. So lets face the fact, the Colts won't be trotting out elite level QB play in 2022, it is extremely unlikely. We can still be competitive though after all we've done it pretty much all of Reich's time here. My dream scenario is one where we get a FA QB and a rookie, and the rookie gets some playing time (maybe7 or 8 games) and shows enough to let us know we have our future QB.

We can absolutely upgrade on actual performance even if potential performance would be a downgrade. Potential means nothing if the player never gets there. I'd rather have a Ryan Fitzpatrick who has a potential max of 7/10 but gives you 6/10 consistently than have a Wentz who has a 10/10 potential but hits 9/10 maybe twice a season and spends the rest of the time doling out 3/10 and 4/10 performances.

I would imagine tanking is the last thing this organization wants to actually do. Our division is currently in shambles with the Texans and Jaguars flopping. The Titans are the only competition, and with some competent QB play we can take them. This is such a weird period for Colts football. We're close, but also really far... 

Mariota or trubsky.

I wouldn't give up a lot for anyone out there right in a trade. I'd rather keep the picks and money and use it to build up other areas of the team. If we can do that, I think we'd still make some noise with one of those two. Draft someone to develop. 

19 minutes ago, cbear said:

Mariota or trubsky.

I wouldn't give up a lot for anyone out there right in a trade. I'd rather keep the picks and money and use it to build up other areas of the team. If we can do that, I think we'd still make some noise with one of those two. Draft someone to develop. 

unless you're talking about tanking

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bih44hjjujflx3026esp

On 3/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, RollerColt said:

I would imagine tanking is the last thing this organization wants to actually do. Our division is currently in shambles with the Texans and Jaguars flopping. The Titans are the only competition, and with some competent QB play we can take them. This is such a weird period for Colts football. We're close, but also really far... 

I don't know if it is possible to out tank the Texans or the Jags 

13 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Thank you. I've seen so many for Mariota.. I just can't.. he just seems worse than wentz to me. I'd say

1. Carr.. yeah right

2. Jimmy G.. Idk

3. Mitch Maybe

4. G Minshew.. I'd take him above Marcus..

It's not going to be good and no matter what people will complain.

If we get Carr people will complain about all we gave up.

If we go with the rest on the list, they all have flaws, and people will complain about them.

If we move up and pick a QB, people will complain about "wasting" a season while a guy develops.

I suggest everyone do the Serenity Prayer...and maybe a gummy...

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's not going to be good and no matter what people will complain.

If we get Carr people will complain about all we gave up.

If we go with the rest on the list, they all have flaws, and people will complain about them.

If we move up and pick a QB, people will complain about "wasting" a season while a guy develops.

I suggest everyone do the Serenity Prayer...and maybe a gummy...

Don't mind if I do.   LOL

I feel like at this point we might as well roll with Ehlinger. Mariota is inaccurate. Jimmy G is really the only viable option with the resigning of some of these guys. No thank you if you want Newton, Jameis. I feel like we probably should have kept Wentz because he was possibly the best option out there. And that’s not saying much

7 hours ago, philba101 said:

Okay all the Trubiskyites on this forum. Where do the Colts go next?

https://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-signing-qb-mitchell-trubisky-to-two-year-deal/

That’s good news. Steelers won’t be competing this season. That means Baker should stay put with the Browns. Bengals really only have the Ravens to compete with next year. And that’s one less team we have to deal with in all the QB hunt stuff. Maybe we will take a look at someone in the draft… hmm…

Every day that passes and more QBs are off the market, I get a little bit more excited. More and more I’m hoping the Colts are coming to their senses and leaning towards a stopgap veteran so they can draft the right guy.  I have strongly felt since Andrew Luck retired we needed to identify a QB in the draft and get him. I know this is a weak draft so maybe it won’t be this year and wait until next. Maybe they double dip and try for a QB in both drafts. I can still see them trading for Jimmy G but that looks like a low offer was given and Ballard isnt going to overpay for a temporary QB. 

21 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Well.. I guess both.. I just don't see too much good coming outta what we are going to do lmao

But Go Colts!

Yeah, I don't disagree. Mariotta is better than Trubisky but he's not better than Wentz. For the life of me, I can't understand what we are doing. Jimmy G *might* be an improvement but everyone else is a lateral move or a step back. What's the point of a guy like Mariotta or Minshew? So, we win 7 or 8 or maybe even 9 games... and we still don't have the answer at qb AND we won't be in a position to draft one in 2023.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Every day that passes and more QBs are off the market, I get a little bit more excited. More and more I’m hoping the Colts are coming to their senses and leaning towards a stopgap veteran so they can draft the right guy.  I have strongly felt since Andrew Luck retired we needed to identify a QB in the draft and get him. I know this is a weak draft so maybe it won’t be this year and wait until next. Maybe they double dip and try for a QB in both drafts. I can still see them trading for Jimmy G but that looks like a low offer was given and Ballard isnt going to overpay for a temporary QB. 

Yeah all signs seem to be pointing towards just that. If you listen to Ballard’s end of season presser he specifically said “I’d like to quit putting a band-aid on it (referring to the QB situation). I’d like to get a guy who can be here for the next 10-15 years”. 

From the moment he said that, I thought it was clear indication that the Colts were looking towards the draft. Plus we know how Ballard is big on developing through the draft and not bringing in big name FAs from other teams unless it’s the right fit.

Right now it really looks like it’s Mariota and a rookie QB. Exciting times.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah all signs seem to be pointing towards just that. If you listen to Ballard’s end of season presser he specifically said “I’d like to quit putting a band-aid on it (referring to the QB situation). I’d like to get a guy who can be here for the next 10-15 years”. 

From the moment he said that, I thought it was clear indication that the Colts were looking towards the draft. Plus we know how Ballard is big on developing through the draft and not bringing in big name FAs from other teams unless it’s the right fit.

Right now it really looks like it’s Mariota and a rookie QB. Exciting times.

I’m ok with Mariota or whatever reasonable option to bridge to a rookie. Should have done this with Rivers instead of trading for Buckner. We would be on year 3 of new QB with a ton of cap space and full arsenal of draft picks.  I know it’s hindsight but I’ve always tried to avoid kicking the can down the road bc you eventually have to pick it up 

Archived