Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Baker is a stop gap, he only has one year left on his contract.  if they want too much for him then we wont do it

That is true. He was less than accurate down the field, like Jimmy G, but is accurate in the underneath game plenty and benefits from a run game and boot legs to see the field better. He does not have to worry about big personalities like OBJ etc. on the Colts.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is true. He was less than accurate down the field, like Jimmy G, but is accurate in the underneath game plenty and benefits from a run game and boot legs to see the field better. He does not have to worry about big personalities like OBJ etc. on the Colts.

I keep going back to how the Browns have one of the best teams (on paper) and he bogged them down.  Could have been injuries.  But I have friends who are Browns fans, and they don't have great things to say about Baker.

So, if he couldn't win with them, how will he do on a team with less talent?

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I keep going back to how the Browns have one of the best teams (on paper) and he bogged them down.  Could have been injuries.  But I have friends who are Browns fans, and they don't have great things to say about Baker.

Like I pointed out where Rivers' and Wentz's numbers improved from 2019 and 2020 respectively while playing with Reich, Reich's system does improve QB numbers. However, if you want an alternative, and are willing to take Sean Payton's word for it, I do think we should do our due diligence with Jameis Winston that Sean Payton gushes about:

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/sean-payton-on-jameis-winston-fantastic?__vbtrk=MTUxMzg4OjA6c29jaWFsbWVkaWE6ZmFjZWJvb2s=&__vbtrk=MTAwMzc3OjA6c29jaWFsbWVkaWE6dHdpdHRlcg==

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Like I pointed out where Rivers' and Wentz's numbers improved from 2019 and 2020 respectively while playing with Reich, Reich's system does improve QB numbers. However, if you want an alternative, and are willing to take Sean Payton's word for it, I do think we should do our due diligence with Jameis Winston that Sean Payton gushes about:

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/sean-payton-on-jameis-winston-fantastic?__vbtrk=MTUxMzg4OjA6c29jaWFsbWVkaWE6ZmFjZWJvb2s=&__vbtrk=MTAwMzc3OjA6c29jaWFsbWVkaWE6dHdpdHRlcg==

If Carr is out, Jameis would be my choice too.  The issue with him (and Jimmy G., who I'd pass on) is when will they be able to work?  

I was thinking that Ballard takes all the fun out of Free Agency if you're a Colts fan, LOL.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Most browns fans I know loved Baker Mayfield. Injuries and having multiple offensive coordinators with different styles contributed to Mayfield not reaching full potential yet

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

If Carr is out, Jameis would be my choice too.  The issue with him (and Jimmy G., who I'd pass on) is when will they be able to work?  

I was thinking that Ballard takes all the fun out of Free Agency if you're a Colts fan, LOL.

Honestly Carr, Garapolo, and Mayfield are all a similar talent level. I believe May field still has room to grow and he is younger. He also made the longest throw in NFL history as far as pass going through the air so Mayfield has arm talent. He still needs to become more accurate but I think he is fixable.  Matt Ryan would only be a short term fix who may only play four more years tops. Winston is more risky than even Mayfield due to questionable decision making at times. Before he got hurt last year he played well but Payton reigned him in alot so he was playing more cautious

I'd rather have Mayfield over any other QB mentioned so far.  Just seems like a more talented QB than the others, even with his flaws.  And if he's not a down the field hero-baller at his root, I think Frank will make him better.

Pending the outcome of the compensation and (possible) contract extension. 

Some of you guys are hilarious. If Ballard could find a way to secure Maholmes guys would find fault with his game. From just the rumor of Mayfield wanting out of Cleveland and wanting to come to Indy some already on here have nixed the move and have branded Mayfield as bad. Unreal!:lol:

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Some of you guys are hilarious. If Ballard could find a way to secure Maholmes guys would find fault with his game. From just the rumor of Mayfield wanting out of Cleveland and wanting to come to Indy some already on here have nixed the move and have branded Mayfield as bad. Unreal!:lol:

I’m one of those who are guilty. I can see his upsides, I really do. But can he be humble enough to fix his mistakes? If we get him I will support him and hope for the best. If he works out, that would really solve a lot of problems. 

Of course he has to come here first. Nothing is set in stone. Watch what they do, not what they say.

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I disagree Winston is more reckless with the football give me Mayfield

I'd take a Mayfield Hooper combo

Respectfully

In the past I would agree

BUT... if you look at last year, Winston was NOT reckless..... far from it

He also was 5-2 in his games

He threw 14 TDs against just 3 Ints

Winston had a rating of 102.8

Mayfield  was 17tds against 13 Ints

Mayfield had a rating of 83.1

For the last 2 years the Browns are stacked everywhere, and WITH Baker, they didnt make the playoffs

In fact, he is break even in his wins in the last 4 years

I would MUCH rather have Winston than Mayfield

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Mayfield... made the longest throw in NFL history as far as pass going through the air...

If that was the 70 yard Hail Mary incomplete into the endzone vs Ravens...

Trubisky threw one 77 yards in Arizona, I think it was 2018.

It was on NFL Redzone, and I stopped the live TV and replayed it a couple of times, to see the launching and landing points. Maybe there it was wind aided, that day in the desert.

State Farm Stadium is described as 'indoors', with natural grass, so maybe Trubisky had the air conditioning at his back.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The issue with him (and Jimmy G., who I'd pass on) is when will they be able to work?  

Winston is up and running forward and laterally.  he will probably be somewhat limited for most of the offseason but able to play with no contact by summer  

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports that for the last week Jimmy Garoppolo's market has "been Indianapolis and ... Indianapolis."

The hope is that the Deshaun Watson trade will eventually create a secondary market, but this appears to be yet another transaction that is being held up as Watson decides which of four teams to take his talents to in 2022. Regardless of what heats up, it does seem like Garoppolo to Indianapolis continues to be the chalk pick.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully

For the last 2 years the Browns are stacked everywhere, and WITH Baker, they didnt make the playoffs

Small sample size there is no guarantee Winston wouldn't have reverted back to his reckless ways the rest of the season. Career wise Mayfield has been better at taking care of football than Winston

36 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

I’m hoping Matt Ryan falls in our laps.  Non-polarizing and a smart veteran. There is no long term solution out there for the Colts right now, so why not run it back Philip Rivers style?

It depends on how much $$ we would have to take on 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully

I think Winston should be an option. He would be free of draft capital & allow us to sign another weapon. 

All of the QB options available are similar in skill in their own way. I don’t think the QB we pick up will be our QB more than a year or two anyways

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'd rather have Mayfield over any other QB mentioned so far.  Just seems like a more talented QB than the others, even with his flaws.  And if he's not a down the field hero-baller at his root, I think Frank will make him better.

Pending the outcome of the compensation and (possible) contract extension. 

I think all these teams making big plays  for qbs tells me one thing.  This draft absolutely sucks. I think the Colts r  best to take a flyer on a guy like Mayfield. I do not like Jimmy G at all. He has jo upside and we saw what he did with a team that is more talented than the Colts. Shanahan took  thr ball out of his 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I think all these teams making big plays  for qbs tells me one thing.  This draft absolutely sucks. I think the Colts r  best to take a flyer on a guy like Mayfield. I do not like Jimmy G at all. He has jo upside and we saw what he did with a team that is more talented than the Colts. Shanahan took  thr ball out of his 

Hands. Sorry hit enter button. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly what has Watson done to warrant such high regard? He's won one playoff game. Heck so has Mayfield. Imo Watson is overrated.

I don't think he is over rated  but he had thr best year of his life and his still only one  4 games. He  needs to pick the right team.

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

I’m hoping Matt Ryan falls in our laps.  Non-polarizing and a smart veteran. There is no long term solution out there for the Colts right now, so why not run it back Philip Rivers style?

Smart and durable like Rivers, but wouldn't Fontenot and Smith want draft choices already spent?

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly what has Watson done to warrant such high regard? He's won one playoff game. Heck so has Mayfield. Imo Watson is overrated.

Apparently most of the rest of the NFL strongly disagrees with you.   Houston has had strong interest and the offers for Watson will likely be close to what Denver paid for Wilson. 

Houston is viewed as a bad franchise.   Bad ownership.   Very dysfunctional.  Watsons good level of play is viewed as accomplished without much surrounding help.   Teams think they can make Watson even better with their franchise and getting away from Houston. 

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

The issue with Ryan is that Atlanta will want a lot to give up on him.   And who wants to give up high pick(s) if you’re only going to get 2/4 years out of him.   I guess it depends on the cost in picks? 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently most of the rest of the NFL strongly disagrees with you.   Houston has had strong interest and the offers for Watson will likely be close to what Denver paid for Wilson. 

Houston is viewed as a bad franchise.   Bad ownership.   Very dysfunctional.  Watsons good level of play is viewed as accomplished without much surrounding help.   Teams think they can make Watson even better with their franchise and getting away from Houston. 

Most? More than 16/32 didn't want him.

Houston is viewed? Possibly because McNair disagreed with Reggie Bush's agent, and Reggie went 2nd to Saints(after Mario Williams #1)

22 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Most? More than 16/32 didn't want him.

Houston is viewed? Possibly because McNair disagreed with Reggie Bush's agent, and Reggie went 2nd to Saints(after Mario Williams #1)

Ate you under the influence?   Because that’s how this post reads.    Get back to me when you’re sober….   

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ate you under the influence?   Because that’s how this post reads.    Get back to me when you’re sober….   

I won't list all the teams wth QBs better than Dehaun, and who played, recently, unlike Deshaun, and who won't be suspended, unlike Deshaun, but you can guess Brady, Rodgers, Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Stafford, Carr, and Dak, among others, woudn't be benched.

Pittsburgh's GM said 'no', and NYs owner said,

"We’re not trading for Deshaun Watson,There are so many reasons why we wouldn’t do that. Cap-wise, we couldn’t afford it, but more importantly, with the allegations that are out there right now, that’s just not the right fit for us.”

Most teams,  aren't under the influence, and avoided the hassle, for a guy who won 4 and lost 12 in his most recent season.

Vs. Colts, fumbled snap...lost fumble...Deshaun crying, with Ty(I think) consoling him.

1 minute ago, waterdog said:

I won't list all the teams wth QBs better than Dehaun, and who played, recently, unlike Deshaun, and who won't be suspended, unlike Deshaun, but you can guess Brady, Rodgers, Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Stafford, Carr, and Dak, among others, woudn't be benched.

Pittsburgh's GM said 'no', and NYs owner said,

"We’re not trading for Deshaun Watson,There are so many reasons why we wouldn’t do that. Cap-wise, we couldn’t afford it, but more importantly, with the allegations that are out there right now, that’s just not the right fit for us.”

Most teams,  aren't under the influence, and avoided the hassle, for a guy who won 4 and lost 12 in his most recent season.

Vs. Colts, fumbled snap...lost fumble...Deshaun crying, with Ty(I think) consoling him.

Watson is widely viewed as a top-10 quarterback by most everyone.  Probably top-8 by many.   Some teams may have reasons for not wanting him, but his football talent is not one of them. 

Archived