Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to waste any draft picks trading for a vet.  Sign a free agent and draft the QB.  If that's Strong this year, fine.  If we wait until next year, that's fine too.

If Trubisky or Mariota show something, even better.

Hopefully someone better than Wentz. Most likely case is we pick up a veteran QB in the off-season and draft someone by trading up in the first. My choice for the vet QB would be Jameis but he's most likely resigning to the Saints.

If Ballard does draft a QB, he better hit. Might be curtains if they trade up in a generally agreed weak QB class and picks someone mediocre.

6 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

“All chips in” doesn’t include Jimmy G, Mitch, Kirk, Mariota in my eyes.

Why does "all chips in" have to mean a QB? What if the Colts went out and got Chandler Jones and JC Jackson? Or Armstead and Allen Robinson? If they get a guy like Mariota, Mitch, or Winston the drop off in production from Wentz wont be as significant as you think. Might even be better? You can fill a lot of holes this offseason while adding to the strength of your team (defense and Oline) and then swing for the fence next year and have that rookie come into a team thats ready to roll. 

Will say again that I felt like Wentz was a good option to hold the spot and maybe develop for you while you try to draft that QB of the future.  Now they need a bridge QB which can be pricey or difficult to find in its own right.  Also will observe that this isn't really Ballard's hand at play here, I think this move was all Irsay and Ballard just did as he was told and found the best deal he could.

Either way now the team needs that bridge and needs to look hard at options in the draft.  Well the options out there aren't too good, and neither is this QB class.

One other thing re: QBs in the draft...  Seems like every year they get ranked among their peers prior to draft season and then as the draft gets closer the top few end up being pushed to the top of teams boards by need.  That's probably going to happen again this year.  So as all that starts here's hoping a trade-up isn't required.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I thought the biggest knock on him when he started at Tennessee was his injury history.  He was out of the line up a lot.  He was a first round pick and never lived up to expectations.  Combined with injury, I can see where a new coach would want his own QB.

Mariota may still have some decent upside.

Does anyone really think Ballard would have made this trade without knowing who his quarterback is going to be going forward?  I don't.  I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing holding up announcing the follow up trade is finalizing the extension for the new quarterback.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Does anyone really think Ballard would have made this trade without knowing who his quarterback is going to be going forward?  I don't.  I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing holding up announcing the follow up trade is finalizing the extension for the new quarterback.  

I still think something is/has been in the works, whatever it is.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am sure he has a plan.  However if it’s a draft pick or free agent he can’t do anything yet.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think he knows.  I think he just feels he can get a cheaper average QB until he can someday upgrade…

Please let’s go with a Free Agent, no trades. Frankly I expect us to be mediocre to bad next year, as I don’t see a QB that is available that can contend against Burrow, Herbert, Wilson, Mahomes, Allen. therefore giving away picks is not smart and the best move would to position ourselves to be able to move up in the draft next year when their is suppose to be a deep QB draft class

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I don’t think he knows.  I think he just feels he can get a cheaper average QB until he can someday upgrade…

Personally.  I don't think Irsay would accept that as a plan.  I don't think Ballard would ever present a plan like that to him.  This team can win the AFC South and make the playoffs with the right QB.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Personally.  I don't think Irsay would accept that as a plan.  I don't think Ballard would ever present a plan like that to him.  This team can win the AFC South and make the playoffs with the right QB.  

Oh, Ballard has a plan on who he’ll go after.  But he can’t be certain who he’ll get.  But a lot of QBs can be successful with a good line, a great RB, and a system that doesn’t require them to be the hero…

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You think Ballard is going to take the chance of this happening on the heals of the Wentz debacle?  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hammers-chiefs-for-tampering-with-huge-fine-loss-of-two-draft-picks/

There you go.  The Chiefs got caught.  You don't think it happens.  Of course it does.  There are 32 teams.  They all don't play by the rules.  The object is not to get caught.  Didn't Ballard learn his trade in the Chiefs front office?  Anyhow I don't think any of the FA quarterbacks are an improvement over Wentz.  I am expecting another trade but that's just me. 

Archived