Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

qb situation.my take

bleed blue4life

I don't think the Colts trust necessarily wants to keep Wentz. But it's basically our only option now. Is it possible we mortgage our future away? I mean, sure... It could happen. But it's not likely. If we were to move up ridiculously in the draft to get our "guy", we'd have to be damn sure he's a Patrick Mahomes type. And I don't see that with this coming class. 

They are stuck for this coming season. With no first round pick, and cap space that has to be devoted to upgrading a few key positions plus resigning their own, it’s the Wentz show redux. 
Signing a vet backup won’t solve the problem because that guy will most likely be a journeyman. They’re that guy for a reason; a temporary fill in. 

Meaning: gotta hope Wentz has an awakening and figures out how to take the “layups”. 

Essentially yeah we almost have to stick with Wentz for 1 more year. He either surprises and plays really well, in which case, great - or he flames out and we re-gear from a better position assets and leverage-wise next year.

I'd go from the angle of load up on weapons and give Wentz ZERO excuse to not perform, and then if he does flame out then it is an attractive spot for any FA QB or a good situation for a rookie to walk into the following year.

It would be a poor use of resources to sign a journeyman or trade for another starter.  We need both the cap space and draft picks to fill this team out.  We have a new DC and he will need a few players to fit his scheme and we have holes at LT, RG and WR on offense. If Wentz flops or goes down it will get us more draft capital to possibly make a move.  

Barring major injuries, I think we will surprise a lot of people next year. 

The easiest way to compund an error in personnel evaluation at QB is to burn more resources to bring in someone who is marginally better than what you have and doesn't really overall move the needle.

Barring Rodgers or Wilson coming here (which, realistically for a variety of reasons listed by many posters here is highly unlikely to happen), there are no obvious, slam dunk upgrade replacements for Wentz.

The harsh reality is that, irrespective of the reasoning, Ballard, Reich, etc. made an error last year by placing their bet on the wrong QB (Wentz instead of Stafford). Unfortunately, that is going to be on their record going forward. It doesn't mean they should be fired, but they cant misevaluate like that going forward and hope to build a SB team.

At this point, the most prudent action to take is to improve the WR, TE  and pass rush with the long view in mind, reset with our draft picks and see what options emerge in the 2023 offseason.

Even if we traded him there would still be some type of cap hit. You can still draft a QB in the 2nd round, but the odds of them beating out Wentz would be low. Just have to sit and wait. May be better to take a QB next year too. You’ll have Stroud, McCall, and Young.

49 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It would be a poor use of resources to sign a journeyman or trade for another starter.  We need both the cap space and draft picks to fill this team out.  We have a new DC and he will need a few players to fit his scheme and we have holes at LT, RG and WR on offense. If Wentz flops or goes down it will get us more draft capital to possibly make a move.  

Barring major injuries, I think we will surprise a lot of people next year. 

Surprise how?  Bad or good?  I think many were surprised at the end of the season.  They were a darling pick this year before the last 2 weeks. 

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Surprise how?  Bad or good?  I think many were surprised at the end of the season.  They were a darling pick this year before the last 2 weeks. 

I think we will be good next year. OL should return to form, pass rush should improve, back end of D should improve, Wentz pass for 30 TDs and under 10 picks and either Campbell, Patmon or Granson takes the next step and becomes a legitimate #2 option in the passing game. I think we make the playoffs and possibly win the division and the entire narrative changes. 

Or Wentz implodes and is terrible and the forum goes radioactive and melts my phone.  One of those two lol. 

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think we will be good next year. OL should return to form, pass rush should improve, back end of D should improve, Wentz pass for 30 TDs and under 10 picks and either Campbell, Patmon or Granson takes the next step and becomes a legitimate #2 option in the passing game. I think we make the playoffs and possibly win the division and the entire narrative changes. 

Or Wentz implodes and is terrible and the forum goes radioactive and melts my phone.  One of those two lol. 

Don't love Wentz, but I think he's getting way more of the blame than is realistic.  

His pass pro was woeful, and unlike you I am not confident that the team will be great at this again.  I would be shocked if we were bottom of the barrel, but we as of yet DO NOT have a LT signed, I think Kelly even before this year is on a downward trajectory, and we will see about RG even though we seem to have depth there.  

I also think he has very limited weapons.  Pitt's a good player but not top tier talent at all IMO.    I am not high on anyone else we have at pass catcher.  Like at all. 

People keep saying that we have a great RB, which is true, he's explosive, but it just doesn't matter that much.  It does some and isn't bad, but it isn't enough in today's NFL.  Plus Taylor is very bad at pass pro.  Like 35 pff grade in pass pro which is a killer on 3rd down.  

I think any QB would have had quite a bit of difficulty under the conditions CW was forced into.

Look, CW was bad v. JAX, but the OLINE was worse. They were absolutely manhandled by the Jags front.  At the home Jags game they were dominated after the 1st Q too.    

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Don't love Wentz, but I think he's getting way more of the blame than is realistic.  

His pass pro was woeful, and unlike you I am not confident that the team will be great at this again.  I would be shocked if we were bottom of the barrel, but we as of yet DO NOT have a LT signed, I think Kelly even before this year is on a downward trajectory, and we will see about RG even though we seem to have depth there.  

I also think he has very limited weapons.  Pitt's a good player but not top tier talent at all IMO.    I am not high on anyone else we have at pass catcher.  Like at all. 

People keep saying that we have a great RB, which is true, he's explosive, but it just doesn't matter that much.  It does some and isn't bad, but it isn't enough in today's NFL.  Plus Taylor is very bad at pass pro.  Like 35 pff grade in pass pro which is a killer on 3rd down.  

I think any QB would have had quite a bit of difficulty under the conditions CW was forced into.

Look, CW was bad v. JAX, but the OLINE was worse. They were absolutely manhandled by the Jags front.  At the home Jags game they were dominated after the 1st Q too.    

Wentz is definitely shouldering a lot of blame. I’m actually a bit disgusted with our fans and media.  It’s ok to question what he need to do to be better bc there is more needed from him.  However, he was above average as a whole and that was impressive considering the circumstances. He needs more help from the rest of the roster. 

I agree about Pittman.  He will most likely keep getting better but I think he isn’t a game changer.  More of a poor mans Reggie Wayne that will move the sticks.  He reached 1k yards but was that bc no one else on the team was challenging for targets?  We will need for someone to step up and hit 700yds receiving and we need a couple red zone targets as well. 

The clock keeps on ticking.  Every season we keep plugging in QB,s is another season the quality players we do have risk career ending injuries, Nelson for an example.  While Ballard keeps pushing his build through the draft plan, which seems to be slim pickins this year, we end up starting over.

Since it's doubtful the colts get a proven Franchise QB like Rogers, Wilson, or Watson the colts are stuck with Wentz for another year. 

For the colts to get a young "hot shot QB" like so many other AFC teams have, they will need to do a 'reset'. By that I mean if Wentz is truly terrible or more probable Ehrlinger replaces him because of injury or bad play causing us to have a poor won/loss record and a very high draft pick for '23. 

And if there is a QB in the '23 Draft that the Colts think is "the one" then they can use their resources to move up if necessary to get him. 

The worst thing the colts can do is have another mediocre type season and not be able to draft a highly talented prospect. 

16 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

I look for the Colts to keep Wentz this year because of the cap hit but do look for them to get a proven backup just in case .

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

Just start Ehlinger, and call Wentz the 'proven backup'.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Since it's doubtful the colts get a proven Franchise QB like Rogers, Wilson, or Watson the colts are stuck with Wentz for another year. 

For the colts to get a young "hot shot QB" like so many other AFC teams have, they will need to do a 'reset'. By that I mean if Wentz is truly terrible or more probable Ehrlinger replaces him because of injury or bad play causing us to have a poor won/loss record and a very high draft pick for '23. 

And if there is a QB in the '23 Draft that the Colts think is "the one" then they can use their resources to move up if necessary to get him. 

The worst thing the colts can do is have another mediocre type season and not be able to draft a highly talented prospect. 

Regarding your last sentence….  It’s almost impossible to predict a scenario where the team bottoms out and we’re picking in the top-10.    The goal this coming season is to be back in the playoffs.   If we don’t make it, odds are it will be somewhat similar to this year, where we don’t miss by much.   So we’d be picking in the teens again.  

And I don’t see this team trying to tank.  The only way Ehlinger starts is if Wentz gets hurt.   But at his year end presser, Ballard said we have to find out if Sam can be a good backup.  Not the starter, but the backup.   

This is all part of the long, strange, crazy, and incredibly difficult off-season we’re going to have. 

17 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

I look for the Colts to keep Wentz this year because of the cap hit but do look for them to get a proven backup just in case .

Thoughts?

If a better option is available.... an option with a guy who has shown consistency, then make a bold move.   Some big-play ability is a bonus at this point.  I just dont see who that is at the moment.  True big names like Rogers and Wilson i dont see as legit for a number of reasons.  
  We have to look at if we think an offseason will make a difference with Wentz.  I dont see Wentz as a longterm answer (from what i’ve seen as a Colt).

1.  If we roll with Carson next year i want a top-tier backup.  I consider it a necessary cost if rolling the dice on Wentz.

2. Priority 1 should be to try to be in position to find our franchise guy.  The QB, because, as above, i think if Carson starts, we’ll have similar results.  
  We’re in a “tuffish” position with Carson because of no 1st next year, his contract, etc.

But if the staff feels he’s not the guy, then move on unless he’ll compete and be ok with backup if he loses start.  But then again, if after paying him , seeing him for a year, we want him to compete..... then we may already have our answer.  I’ll give Wentz another chance if he starts next year.  I just kinda feel i’ve seen enuff of him to know what he is.  And i just dont think its good enough.  

Unfortunately, for next year, we may have to at least ride it out.

But i still want Ballard searching like Manning just retired from the team.

Iys the most important position.     We know how important it is to playoff football.  

Do or spend whatever you need to to get or develop one of these guys. Or you’re just playing for division titles...... at best.

I think the Eagles ruined Wentz like we did on Luck. He runs to soon from protection. He doesn't trust the protection. Either our OL has regressed, or bad OL coach, or it's Wentz. Teams can ruin a good QB. 

Best QB I ever seen outside of Luck get ruined was David Carr. Took the most hits in the NFL his 1st 5 years and never recovered.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we are average, we will be in range of the very nice QB class coming up next year

There MAY be 4 QBs taken in round 1 in 2023

If it were me, and Bailey Zappe, was still on the board in round 3..... Id take him

At worst, he is a quality backup

At Best .... HE might be the QB of the future

Great release, accurate, Mobile...... He needs some time in the weight room to build arm strength

His mid and short range stuff on tape is very good today.....

62 Touchdowns..... NCAA record

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding your last sentence….  It’s almost impossible to predict a scenario where the team bottoms out and we’re picking in the top-10.    The goal this coming season is to be back in the playoffs.   If we don’t make it, odds are it will be somewhat similar to this year, where we don’t miss by much.   So we’d be picking in the teens again.  

And I don’t see this team trying to tank.  The only way Ehlinger starts is if Wentz gets hurt.   But at his year end presser, Ballard said we have to find out if Sam can be a good backup.  Not the starter, but the backup.   

This is all part of the long, strange, crazy, and incredibly difficult off-season we’re going to have. 

I never said this team would tank on purpose, and though the goals are making the playoffs, a early injury to a QB who has a injury history is not out of question....which would give the keys to Erhlinger or a backup to be named later, which could lead to a low win season. I'm not wishing or predicting a injury to Wentz, but it's possible to him and 31 other starters.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:13 AM, Matabix said:

I think the Eagles ruined Wentz like we did on Luck. He runs to soon from protection. He doesn't trust the protection. Either our OL has regressed, or bad OL coach, or it's Wentz. Teams can ruin a good QB. 

Best QB I ever seen outside of Luck get ruined was David Carr. Took the most hits in the NFL his 1st 5 years and never recovered.

Well since we were 30th graded in pass pro, maybe the pass pro wasn't trustworthy?

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Well since we were 30th graded in pass pro, maybe the pass pro wasn't trustworthy?

Yep

Next year

1) Get improved LT play - Our vaunted OL was 30th graded - That is painful......  We had sacks that killed drives in key games

2) Get a TE that gets open 

(Truly compare our TE play vs playoff teams)

3) Get a second WR that gets open, and can take the top off the defense -

(Truly compare what we have against playoff teams )

4) Hope for a full camp, and no injuries to Wentz

Get camp repetition with these new weapons...... again and again and again

Play some Q4 defense (Need ONE new PR player....... Just one)

Wentz DOES have to improve.......   but he is a convienient scape goat for EVERYTHING bad

He is NOT elite...... I get that......  but lets give him every chance to succeed

If he doesnt, we go another way

6 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

His language may be from the street, but the analysis is spot on. Did you listen to the whole thing?

Respectfully.......

Truthfully, I didnt listen to ANY of it

I have watched him before, and didnt like any of his coverage.......  AND..... 

I volunteer with "street people" THEY TRULY don't talk like that......  

The ONLY people that I personally know that talk like that are x Navy folks, weak stand up comedians

AND people that aren't intelligent

I put this guy in that 3rd category

To each his own

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.......

Truthfully, I didnt listen to ANY of it

I have watched him before, and didnt like any of his coverage.......  AND..... 

I volunteer with "street people" THEY TRULY don't talk like that......  

The ONLY people that I personally know that talk like that are x Navy folks, weak stand up comedians

AND people that aren't intelligent

I put this guy in that 3rd category

To each his own

Archived