Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

qb situation.my take

bleed blue4life

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.......

Truthfully, I didnt listen to ANY of it

I have watched him before, and didnt like any of his coverage.......  AND..... 

I volunteer with "street people" THEY TRULY don't talk like that......  

The ONLY people that I personally know that talk like that are x Navy folks, weak stand up comedians

AND people that aren't intelligent

I put this guy in that 3rd category

To each his own

Trump Words GIF by moodman

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.......

The ONLY people that I personally know that talk like that are x Navy folks, weak stand up comedians

To each his own

Mike! Don't you think it's a bit unfair to have such a strong negative opinion about a video ... THAT YOU DIDN'T EVEN LISTEN TO? I disagree about two other things ... the analysis is VERY INTELLIGENT and my dad was a WW2 Navy vet and never used the F word.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:53 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Wentz is definitely shouldering a lot of blame. I’m actually a bit disgusted with our fans and media.  It’s ok to question what he need to do to be better bc there is more needed from him.  However, he was above average as a whole and that was impressive considering the circumstances. He needs more help from the rest of the roster. 

I agree about Pittman.  He will most likely keep getting better but I think he isn’t a game changer.  More of a poor mans Reggie Wayne that will move the sticks.  He reached 1k yards but was that bc no one else on the team was challenging for targets?  We will need for someone to step up and hit 700yds receiving and we need a couple red zone targets as well. 

ballard keeps missing on wr, te and pass rush draft picks, hard to improve the team with the draft alone when you miss on your picks

On 2/7/2022 at 1:18 PM, Nickster said:

Don't love Wentz, but I think he's getting way more of the blame than is realistic.  

His pass pro was woeful, and unlike you I am not confident that the team will be great at this again.  I would be shocked if we were bottom of the barrel, but we as of yet DO NOT have a LT signed, I think Kelly even before this year is on a downward trajectory, and we will see about RG even though we seem to have depth there.  

I also think he has very limited weapons.  Pitt's a good player but not top tier talent at all IMO.    I am not high on anyone else we have at pass catcher.  Like at all. 

People keep saying that we have a great RB, which is true, he's explosive, but it just doesn't matter that much.  It does some and isn't bad, but it isn't enough in today's NFL.  Plus Taylor is very bad at pass pro.  Like 35 pff grade in pass pro which is a killer on 3rd down.  

I think any QB would have had quite a bit of difficulty under the conditions CW was forced into.

Look, CW was bad v. JAX, but the OLINE was worse. They were absolutely manhandled by the Jags front.  At the home Jags game they were dominated after the 1st Q too.    

ballard has spent a lot of dollars on an o-line that cant pass protect, good at run blocking but get the qb killed, ballard needs to do better

23 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Mike! Don't you think it's a bit unfair to have such a strong negative opinion about a video ... THAT YOU DIDN'T EVEN LISTEN TO? I disagree about two other things ... the analysis is VERY INTELLIGENT and my dad was a WW2 Navy vet and never used the F word.

Yeah....... maybe you are right......

My personal list of flaws is LENGTHY (Choosing to NOT listen to non intelligent people, is one of them) 

Its been 30 years, but my X Wife's attorney was an ********   (Insert not-nice word)

I didnt bother reading his last few letters......  (I let my attorney take care of it )

There are hundreds of people that do videos on NFL teams...... this guy (with or without his language) 

isnt a favorite

Take care 

45 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard keeps missing on wr, te and pass rush draft picks, hard to improve the team with the draft alone when you miss on your picks

He has only taken 2 WR on the second round. So I. Reality he hasn’t taken enough swings at WR. Has only taken one TE. Pass rush I will give you because he has thrown a lot at that.

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

Here is one of the BEST insights I have heard and I agree 100% on the analysis regarding Wentz. Give a listen:

This was spot on I think.  Assuming Wentz stays then all of his recommendations make sense to me and I think they would to the vast majority of Colts fans out there. I would have to think Ballard and Reich will come to the same conclusions for most of his suggestions.  Frank giving up play calling is the hard one to see.

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

It's 38 minutes long.

Can you give us the cliff notes ?

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

While I think Ballard is a good GM, I don’t think he is great.  The DL picks alone have set this team back a couple years. He literally struck out with three 2nds and a 3rd spent on pass rush. Lewis was finally coming along and almost salvaged those terrible picks but he was injured again. Im a fan of the Paye pick and Defo trade but I don’t see Dayo being anything more than average.   The Grover extension was a bit much as well.  With as much draft capital spent and contract extensions given, pass rush should be a strength but it’s actually a weakness. Hopefully I’m wrong on Dayo. 

Along with DE and WR, he has missed on the safety position. Blackmon seems promising as a SS but now has had two major injuries. Wait and see on if he will return to form. I hope he does but injuries eventually add up. 

I actually think he did a decent job with LT. Guys he wanted in the draft weren’t available and he had Fisher in his back pocket as insurance and traded for Pryor. He also signed Levi and Davenport.  I know people point out Leno but he hadn’t really played that well before that and honestly see him regressing back to normal next year or so. The rest of the OL dealt with injuries but we have 4 good to great starters. 

As far as QB, I think Ballard should have moved up ahead of Miami and had their choice of Herbert or Tua. Instead he traded for Defo and Wentz for less capital. Probably would have taken a 3rd first.  So the question is if Buckner, Wentz and Paye are worth more than Herbert(absolutely worth more than Tua).  I personally think if the team can stay relatively healthy, he made the right choice. I’ve never felt that a team was this close to breaking thru than ours is right now. Solid tackle play and a play maker added on each side of the ball can win us the division and possibly put us in the AFC championship game. Probably the most important offseason of Ballards career 

sorry so long winded. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

While I think Ballard is a good GM, I don’t think he is great.  The DL picks alone have set this team back a couple years. He literally struck out with three 2nds and a 3rd spent on pass rush. Lewis was finally coming along and almost salvaged those terrible picks but he was injured again. Im a fan of the Paye pick and Defo trade but I don’t see Dayo being anything more than average.   The Grover extension was a bit much as well.  With as much draft capital spent and contract extensions given, pass rush should be a strength but it’s actually a weakness. Hopefully I’m wrong on Dayo. 

Along with DE and WR, he has missed on the safety position. Blackmon seems promising as a SS but now has had two major injuries. Wait and see on if he will return to form. I hope he does but injuries eventually add up. 

I actually think he did a decent job with LT. Guys he wanted in the draft weren’t available and he had Fisher in his back pocket as insurance and traded for Pryor. He also signed Levi and Davenport.  I know people point out Leno but he hadn’t really played that well before that and honestly see him regressing back to normal next year or so. The rest of the OL dealt with injuries but we have 4 good to great starters. 

As far as QB, I think Ballard should have moved up ahead of Miami and had their choice of Herbert or Tua. Instead he traded for Defo and Wentz for less capital. Probably would have taken a 3rd first.  So the question is if Buckner, Wentz and Paye are worth more than Herbert(absolutely worth more than Tua).  I personally think if the team can stay relatively healthy, he made the right choice. I’ve never felt that a team was this close to breaking thru than ours is right now. Solid tackle play and a play maker added on each side of the ball can win us the division and possibly put us in the AFC championship game. Probably the most important offseason of Ballards career 

sorry so long winded. 

I agree he is good but hasn't proven true greatness. Having said that I would take him over Polian who is even in the Hall of Fame.

Hear me out. Polian was hand gifted Peyton Manning, luckiest GM ever on that account and Irsay even had to convince him to take him over Leaf. Without Manning we win 0 SB's, JMO. Had Luck not retired, Ballard would be the best the GM in the league IMO, like many labeled Polian. Luck showed he could be as great as Mahomes or Burrow. What soured me with Polian is, he quit on the undefeated season and then tried to justify it on the radio the day after. No fans were buying it and he looked worse. It got so bad that his show quit taking calls lmao . 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

It would be a poor use of resources to sign a journeyman or trade for another starter.  We need both the cap space and draft picks to fill this team out.  We have a new DC and he will need a few players to fit his scheme and we have holes at LT, RG and WR on offense. If Wentz flops or goes down it will get us more draft capital to possibly make a move.  

Barring major injuries, I think we will surprise a lot of people next year. 

I'd be OK if the right "big" move, like AR happened, but see that as extremely unlikely. 

And if that's not going to happen, I agree 100%. No reason to jump the shark, and pay a bunch for another mid level guy. The reality is that if we fix the OL, and upgrade at WR, Wentz will likely look better. At least as good as anyone available right now. 

Unless the right big move is possible, we just need to roll with CW, improve the team, and prep for a big move in 2023 if needed. And I agree we could look much improved next season with Wentz.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree he is good but hasn't proven true greatness. Having said that I would take him over Polian who is even in the Hall of Fame.

Hear me out. Polian was hand gifted Peyton Manning, luckiest GM ever on that account and Irsay even had to convince him to take him over Leaf. Without Manning we win 0 SB's, JMO. Had Luck not retired, Ballard would be the best the GM in the league IMO, like many labeled Polian. Luck showed he could be as great as Mahomes or Burrow. What soured me with Polian is, he quit on the undefeated season and then tried to justify it on the radio the day after. No fans were buying it and he looked worse. It got so bad that his show quit taking calls lmao . 

Polian started off very well with the Colts.  Towards the end he and his son did this team no favors.  I’m still bitter about the undefeated season as well.  Only a handful of teams have ever had that opportunity and not going for greatness is inexcusable. We literally lost on purpose. 

Luck was great.  No denying that.  I know you loved him as our QB so I will just keep it positive.  Would have been great to have him these last three years.  Especially this year we could have really made some noise in the playoffs.  Even tho there are outstanding QBs in the AFC, I still think it’s open enough that anyone can win. 

21 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.......

To each his own

There is actually evidence that cursing correlates with higher intelligence or at least language acumen.  It also appears to correlate to creativity and honesty.

Thats not to say everyone who cusses is a genius at all, but the archaic notion that cussing is an indicator of low intelligence is pretty much debunked.

42 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Frank Reich is probably the only person working for that organization that wants Carson Wentz back.

Rationally, Frank would have to base this to include the alternatives.

As fans, we might believe that Frank & Marcus spend many frustrating hours each week trying to figure out how to scheme a 60 minute game of offense around Wentz's limited mental accumen.

And their having to watch his tape, his failure's to process the basics, that footwork, the off balance throwing. Jesus Carson, what the h__ are you thinking/doing? A lot of that!

No, i don't believe any rational thinker in the building is any longer smiling and rubbing their hands together while imagining Wentz on the podium holding the Lombardi trophy two times. 

A safe bet that Franky, in his prayers, has one miracle request. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

There is actually evidence that cursing correlates with higher intelligence or at least language acumen.  It also appears to correlate to creativity and honesty.

Thats not to say everyone who cusses is a genius at all, but the archaic notion that cussing is an indicator of low intelligence is pretty much debunked.

Which isnt what I said

"The ONLY people that I personally know  that talk like that are x Navy folks, weak stand up comedians

AND people that aren't intelligent" - My quote

It isnt an ALL ENCOMPASSING scientific statement

Look ..... I WISH I was perfect myself with foul language.

When the Colts (Or Buckeyes) play....., the F ******  sometimes slips out of my own mouth....

(If its not out loud, its under my breath). Maybe 2-3 times a Colts game

1) I personally dont wish to be called a "M.F.er" - "Hey all you MFers" or "that guy is a MFer" is not something I choose to hear

2) As a HIGHLY IMPERFECT believer.... I personally dont wish to hear the name of my Lord and Savior, misused, again, and again

Its a PERSONAL CHOICE thing, not a scientific experiment. 

I like SOME of the content from the 10-15 people that do Colts stuff, but the content from this guy is no better than than the other content creators

If you like listening to this guy.... have at it

On 2/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

I think we will be good next year. OL should return to form, pass rush should improve, back end of D should improve, Wentz pass for 30 TDs and under 10 picks and either Campbell, Patmon or Granson takes the next step and becomes a legitimate #2 option in the passing game. I think we make the playoffs and possibly win the division and the entire narrative changes. 

Or Wentz implodes and is terrible and the forum goes radioactive and melts my phone.  One of those two lol. 

Three "shoulds" ??

My thoughts on QB as average fan. They will keep Wentz starting this next season. I hope the project will take a turn for the best. I have doubts. I think Wentz is good physically, but his mental properties come up short too often. It would be a dream world that we could get Rodgers or even Wilson with this team. Before Taylor gets ran into the ground. I love Hilton and I'd like to keep him to end of his career. Only QB he ever performed with was Luck though. Think cap space could be better served regardless, or cut.

20 hours ago, Randy Perdue said:

I wish we could get Kenny Pickett. He has Colts written all over him, i think. What say you guys?

First off.......welcome

What do you trade to move up and get him?

As a prospect, he isnt a blue chip.  Manning was a blue chip

Its believed that next year there are 2 to 4 TRUE Blue Chip QBs coming out

Its believed that there are NO "blue chip" QBs in this draft

IMHO if you need a QB, and you have the pick, he is as good as other options

But.... if I am giving up enormous draft capitol like TWO future 1st round picks,  on a team that has many holes (like the Colts),

I am doing it for a player that is a blue chip, not a QB that PROBABLY be at the same level as our current QB (or worse)

6 hours ago, Shadowofcolts said:

My thoughts on QB as average fan. They will keep Wentz starting this next season. I hope the project will take a turn for the best. I have doubts. I think Wentz is good physically, but his mental properties come up short too often. It would be a dream world that we could get Rodgers or even Wilson with this team. Before Taylor gets ran into the ground. I love Hilton and I'd like to keep him to end of his career. Only QB he ever performed with was Luck though. Think cap space could be better served regardless, or cut.

This is what it seems like to me.  He seems unable to handle pressure.  I'm not necessarily talking about pressure from the pass rushers, all QBs have that issue, but just the high stakes pressure.  He seems to be a little too sensitive too.

That being said, improved pass pro line and more weapons are necessary to really test and see if he can be a really good QB on a contending team.

I don't think a Colt fan can possible doubt his physical toughness and willingness to play with pain.  He was battered this year and had other injuries unrelated to this. 

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

This is what it seems like to me.  He seems unable to handle pressure.  I'm not necessarily talking about pressure from the pass rushers, all QBs have that issue, but just the high stakes pressure.  He seems to be a little too sensitive too.

That being said, improved pass pro line and more weapons are necessary to really test and see if he can be a really good QB on a contending team.

I don't think a Colt fan can possible doubt his physical toughness and willingness to play with pain.  He was battered this year and had other injuries unrelated to this. 

How we react to pressure is a learned response. If that response is (or has been) panic, it can be unlearned and replaced with a more relaxed response. This applies to seeing the field as well. Carson Wentz just needs a better teacher / coach.

30 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

How we react to pressure is a learned response. If that response is (or has been) panic, it can be unlearned and replaced with a more relaxed response. This applies to seeing the field as well. Carson Wentz just needs a better teacher / coach.

Maybe for a HS kid, but most of the time a 30 year old dude is what he is in my observations in life when it comes to sports.

Sports isn't life. So it's not the same IMO in how one lives outside of FB.  But I have serious reservations in thinking a dude will change into a different type of response, especially in the light that that was a similar problem with his last team/staff. 

I also think a lot of how one reacts is genetic or hard wired too. 

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

First off.......welcome

What do you trade to move up and get him?

As a prospect, he isnt a blue chip.  Manning was a blue chip

Its believed that next year there are 2 to 4 TRUE Blue Chip QBs coming out

Its believed that there are NO "blue chip" QBs in this draft

IMHO if you need a QB, and you have the pick, he is as good as other options

But.... if I am giving up enormous draft capitol like TWO future 1st round picks,  on a team that has many holes (like the Colts),

I am doing it for a player that is a blue chip, not a QB that PROBABLY be at the same level as our current QB (or worse)

This is a good statement.    Just because a team selects a QB in whatever round it doesn't mean he will be or is a deal in the NFL.  

There are many 1st round QB's that are highly drafted that just don't make it.   There are many 1st round draft picks that were a lot worse than Wentz was this yr.       I am not advocating for keeping Wentz ( I think we will because of the apparent options available).  

If a blue chip QB is available then yes take him.   If not I am glad Ballard isn't reaching for one just to draft a QB.

Love is the perfect example to me.  Glad we didn't trade for him.    

On 2/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, SR711 said:

The easiest way to compund an error in personnel evaluation at QB is to burn more resources to bring in someone who is marginally better than what you have and doesn't really overall move the needle.

Barring Rodgers or Wilson coming here (which, realistically for a variety of reasons listed by many posters here is highly unlikely to happen), there are no obvious, slam dunk upgrade replacements for Wentz.

The harsh reality is that, irrespective of the reasoning, Ballard, Reich, etc. made an error last year by placing their bet on the wrong QB (Wentz instead of Stafford). Unfortunately, that is going to be on their record going forward. It doesn't mean they should be fired, but they cant misevaluate like that going forward and hope to build a SB team.

At this point, the most prudent action to take is to improve the WR, TE  and pass rush with the long view in mind, reset with our draft picks and see what options emerge in the 2023 offseason.

Why does everyone assume that Stafford would have come here?

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Stafford admitted he thought he might be coming to colts. Said he and his wife were even looking at houses.

The ship has sailed. We don't have the rams defense or WRs. Why are we pretending like Stafford carried the rams to the SB when he didn't? Wentz has left a bad taste in Indys mouth. It didn't work out. 

But the thing is I can't even remember how many people wanted Ballard Ballard make a move, ANY move at QB. We all knew the odds of it working out. It didn't. So why are we acting shocked and holding our purch forks???

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Maybe for a HS kid, but most of the time a 30 year old dude is what he is in my observations in life when it comes to sports.

Sports isn't life. So it's not the same IMO in how one lives outside of FB.  But I have serious reservations in thinking a dude will change into a different type of response, especially in the light that that was a similar problem with his last team/staff. 

I also think a lot of how one reacts is genetic or hard wired too. 

I think I was in my 40s when I learned it. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/10/relaxation

7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think the Colts end up keeping wentz and restructuring his contract. Unless they end up doing some blockbuster trade which I find highly unlikely.

This would be the correct move for 2022, keeping Wentz...normal mini-camps and training camp...and get the team some offensive weapons (WR,TE) who are not 6th and 7th round picks waiting to develop after 5 years.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, Nickster said:

I mean i think this happens in life a lot but rarely if ever for 30 yo QBs in NFL games.  

im pro meditation.

It's more than meditation, although that is the means for making it happen. It is relearning how to respond to situations that used to cause panic or stressful responses by replacing them with a relaxed response. In business, I was in a tense negotiation. During that negotiation, I became aware that I was actually becoming more and more relaxed. A smile came over my face, and it created even more stressful situation for the other party. Not me, however.

Archived