Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colts have traded for Wentz, for what we hope is a 3rd and a future 1st round pick, IF things goes well.

But what expectations do you guys have and what he be a bust, IF we don't at least make a deep playoff run and a super bowl run, with him as our QB?

Personally I hope the best, but fear the worst and that we just signed a lame duck, that won't take us beyond the first round in the playoffs, before Trevor Lawrence and the Jags are the AFC South Juggernaut that everyone expect them to become.

Wentz might return to form and excel as a Colt, but he needs to get his **** together and perform behind our O-line.

Furthermore, Ballard needs to give him a legit #1 WR, as TY is prob gone come next season.

So again, what do you have of expectations to him and the colts going forward?

• Superman changed the title to Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)
18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Half-joking here, and I’m not sure you even can do this, but I’d have thrown something in about fumbles/TO’s.

Then again, that might not be the best thing for a players confidence who already struggles there. Also, not really practical, since most conditions focus on the positive.

Realistically, a player turning the ball over at a high rate is going to be benched, so the Colts would kind of be shooting themselves in the foot with that one.

This thread is much more dramatic than the old thread.

Put any QB on that Eagles team last year and you will see them struggle. It was bad. Extremely bad.

Put Wentz on a good roster like ours, he will most likely flourish. He had 1 bad year and everybody loves to point the finger at him but not at his fired coach, 60+ sacks allowed by the O-Line, non existent receivers, or his injured TEs. 

13 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Yes I understand what conditional means

There's a low chance he gets hurt with our OL

And our roster is good enough to make the playoffs in spite of him

If we make the playoffs it will be bc he played well not in spite of

52 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Man. This is a potentially masterful digging out over the past 2 years from losing Andrew. Losing a franchise QB is very often disastrous for teams. Ballard. wow. 

We end up in the playoffs last year with one year of Phil Rivers and now we move ahead with a guy who was the second pick in the draft 5 years ago and a young, strong-armed backup. 

How did we go from having a horrible GM in Grigson to maybe the best? Awesome.

It isn’t a good thing when the second pick in the draft 5 years ago is available for us to get. That means the team that drafted him didn’t want him. Full agree about Grigson and Ballard though, this is Reich’s fault.

3 minutes ago, TheMose said:

This thread is much more dramatic than the old thread.

Put any QB on that Eagles team last year and you will see them struggle. It was bad. Extremely bad.

Put Wentz on a good roster like ours, he will most likely flourish. He had 1 bad year and everybody loves to point the finger at him but not at his fired coach, 60+ sacks allowed by the O-Line, non existent receivers, or his injured TEs. 

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Realistically, a player turning the ball over at a high rate is going to be benched, so the Colts would kind of be shooting themselves in the foot with that one.

Btw, when are we getting your Wentz breakdown. We disagreed on his game awhile back.. You're bullish on this getting right?

35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Woooooooo!!! 

Yay! Not to take away from Rivers, but can't wait to see some actual QB rollouts! 

I'm excited to see some actual PLAY ACTION

I'm excited to see the Colts not play shotgun 95% of the time - JT will love getting back to QB under center 

Another great Ballard move!! 

Let's pray he stays healthy 

I’m looking forward to seeing Carson Wentz return to franchise QB form under Frank Reich’s tutelage but there will also be a trade-off : we’ll love his mobility & arm talent, but we’ll definitely miss Philip’s presnap reads & adjustments, dependability and instantaneous leadership. Rivers, by virtue of his legendary toughness, lengthy career & impressive achievements, could walk in the door of a new team and quickly earn the designation of a Captain on a team with a bunch of other accomplished veterans. Carson can’t just arrive and expect to be given the Captain’s “C”, he’s gonna have to earn it and that may be tougher with his injury history and some guys thinking that he got his last coach fired, and forced his way out of Philly anyway.

One thing about Wentz though, a similarity to Philip – he too is religious and I believe he doesn’t swear either, which is why I’ve long viewed him as kind of a “Philip Rivers Junior”.

It is too early to make any predictions because we haven't had Free Agency or the Draft yet. We all will know more, once we can a analyze the team better once those 2 things happen. I am on record saying I really didn't want him and he wasn't my 1st choice but we got him for very little (a 3rd round pick this year, and a 2nd in 2022), so deal wise we did good there. To Wentz's defense, his O.Line was garbage last year and so was his WR's. He and the coach didn't see eye to eye either, maybe Frank can coach him out of his funk? Wentz will also have a very good/bordering on great O.Line here.

8 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Colts have traded for Wentz, for what we hope is a 3rd and a future 1st round pick, IF things goes well.

But what expectations do you guys have and what he be a bust, IF we don't at least make a deep playoff run and a super bowl run, with him as our QB?

Personally I hope the best, but fear the worst and that we just signed a lame duck, that won't take us beyond the first round in the playoffs, before Trevor Lawrence and the Jags are the AFC South Juggernaut that everyone expect them to become.

Wentz might return to form and excel as a Colt, but he needs to get his **** together and perform behind our O-line.

Furthermore, Ballard needs to give him a legit #1 WR, as TY is prob gone come next season.

So again, what do you have of expectations to him and the colts going forward?

I, for one, am NOT expecting a deep run in the post-season.  I hope we do, but I’m not expecting it. 

But...   I am expecting us to make the playoffs and to be competitive.  Wentz needs a lot of work.  A lot of fixing.  And it’s not clear how much practice will be available to players and coaches.   Way too soon to know.  Covid is still a huge unknown factor. 

So I’m trying to keep expectations reasonable.   We can revisit this in 2022. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

How bad is bad though? If they are either out of the playoffs or a complete longshot to make it as they near that threshold...you think they bench him so they don't lose a mid-1st round pick? That would be the shrewd move...but it will destroy the deal.

Curious at what point Ballard would protect that future 1st.

Yep, I had the same exact thought. I am not worried about him playing horrible. I'm not worried about him playing bad. I'm worried about him playing meh! What happens if he plays at Jacoby 2019 level and Reich feels like he can still win games with him? Will Ballard step in? And who would the backup be? Do you bench Jacoby-2019 for Jacob Eason? 

We've got a QB alongside Eason now. But we've still got a lot of holes on the team, and of course the cap is at 180 million. There's very little wiggle room here. Got to get a LT, got to get a DE, need better WRs and better CBs. 

Can't put a record on the team just yet, but there are still a lot of what ifs with the team. We can't worry about the other teams in the South just yet, either. The Jags might have their QB, but they've got a lot of issues. The Texans will be enduring the Watson problem... 

My expectations or questions are this: can the team continue to improve on the defensive side? Can we find another reliable WR? Can Wentz live up to the high expectations placed on him? 

I see this team continuing to be run first. We'll have a brand new LT (possibly rookie). Running the ball is usually easier for the line compared to passing. If we have Wentz throwing 40-50 passes per game, then expect some disappointing results. Short and intermediate passing should be the focus to gain some confidence, with deep shots sprinkled in. 

Can we make the playoffs again? Maybe. The Titans are still pretty darn good. 

Just now, krunk said:

Wentz is a high end talent. Yeah hes got some warts to clean up from last year but im not going to pretend he doesnt have anything to work with. 

All of this. I'm confident in our roster and our coaching staff to get Wentz back to where he was. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I, for one, am NOT expecting a deep run in the post-season.  I hope we do, but I’m not expecting it. 

But...   I am expecting us to make the playoffs and to be competitive.  Wentz needs a lot of work.  A lot of fixing.  And it’s not clear how much practice will be available to players and coaches.   Way too soon to know.  Covid is still a huge unknown factor. 

So I’m trying to keep expectations reasonable.   We can revisit this in 2022. 

Yeah we sound like we are on the same page in saying it is too early for expectations. I want to wait until after the draft before I make any kinds of prediction.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wentz is a high end talent. Yeah hes got some warts to clean up from last year but im not going to pretend he doesnt have anything to work with. 

2017 - he had a Top 5 O-line and running game, and hopefully we can provide him that to reproduce that same level of success. We already have a coach like Doug Pederson who goes for it on 4th down, so there is nothing lost there. :) Just want Reich to use multiple TEs to flood the zones, just need to wait and see if we can snag Ertz too. Now I am getting greedy and wondering if Ballard could have gotten Ertz under the same deal, LOL. 

Honestly, Ballard robbed the eagles.

At worst:  we gave up a third round pick and 2nd round pick if he plays bad 

At best:  we gave up a third round pick and first round pick if he plays good

Ballard is a genius.  

Still have $69 mill for free agency, still have our first and second round pick.  We can still fill our needs and didn’t have to use any of our current capital to do it.

How I personally feel about wentz.  We’ll see.  Maybe he returns to his 2017 form.  Maybe he regresses. 

How I grade the deal.  100% colts win

I will say I am glad Indy still has their 1st and 2nd round picks this year to address LT, CB, DE, TE, and WR. Those are by far the biggest needs for this team now.

I really hope Ballard gets his TE and DE in free agency since there are some good ones that will be available (Carl Lawson, Yannick Ngakoue, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Zach Ertz, among others).

As far as compensation for 2022, if Indy does have to give up the 1st, that just means Wentz was a success in Indy I would think. If he's not, yeah it sucks losing a 2nd, but Ballard has shown he can acquire extra 2nd rounders while still getting his guy in the draft. 

Archived