Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

The clear winner in this trade is the Colts and I don't think it's close. If Wentz is bad, the Colts can bench him and they don't have to worry about losing a first-rounder in the deal. If Wentz is good, then Indy has their quarterback of the future and they only gave up a one first-rounder and one third-rounder to land him. The Colts are also getting a bargain if you consider that they paid Philip River $25 million last year, but only have to pay Wentz an average of $24.5 million over the next four years. It has been said the Bears never spoke with him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) Not sure about #1. I'm pretty sure Zac Taylor didn't have any NFL play calling experience, but he might have called plays for Cincinnati. Doug Pederson had half a season with KC. No one really comes to mind, except Jim Caldwell, but that's more than 5-10 years ago. 

2) I don't think I suggested Sirianni was an obvious head coaching candidate. Just that he fit the trend.

I'm not, and never have, endorsed the Eagles' hiring of Sirianni. But I didn't believe that they hired him to assuage or fix Wentz, and I didn't think that their actions before or after hiring Sirianni indicated that they were trying to find a guy who was going to make it easier to navigate the Wentz situation. 

Sirianni's presser wasn't impressive, but he definitely didn't say anything that sounded like 'I'm here to work with Wentz.' He didn't anything that was remotely committal to Wentz.

That's fair. Then I assume you agree that hiring a guy with HC or OC play calling, is a significant outlier, or at minimum, not the norm, when it comes to #1 specifically.

On #2, and given #1, I just disagree on "trend". I think the "young", "well respected", or "well liked" narrative is pure fluff without the resume/experience, which IMO he lacks. 

I agree the presser was less than impressive. I wouldn't expect him though to announce to the world he was hired to fix/keep Wentz though. I'm sure he understood the situation coming in, and it would be foolish to tie himself to a QB that might not be there (even if one of his primary initial tasks were to re-recruit him).

All in all, if the FO did not hire him to save the situation, IMO it was just a poor hire given a lot of other guys out there and available. 

I'm from Indy but live in Memphis now. My wife is from Tennessee and is a Titans fan. I just congratulated her on the Titans winning the division next year. 

WORST possible off-season to be QB needy...

Sorry, I hope, hope, hope, Carson makes me eat my words right now, and I will be rooting for him, but I'm just being pragmatic right now.

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The clear winner in this trade is the Colts and I don't think it's close. If Wentz is bad, the Colts can bench him and they don't have to worry about losing a first-rounder in the deal. If Wentz is good, then Indy has their quarterback of the future and they only gave up a one first-rounder and one third-rounder to land him. The Colts are also getting a bargain if you consider that they paid Philip River $25 million last year, but only have to pay Wentz an average of $24.5 million over the next four years. It has been said the Bears never spoke with him.

I think the winner is TBD. Colts can certainly win the trade "if X happens"...but PHI can win "if Y happens" as well. And the fact that they were able to shed his remaining contract and get at least (2) Day Two picks out of it...for a guy who obviously had no intention to play there anymore...that's not too shabby.

And I think there's a lot of real estate between "QB of the future" and a QB that plays 75% snaps next season. 

Some media will spin it as a Colts win...some will spin it as a win for PHI. We really won't know until a couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I'm from Indy but live in Memphis now. My wife is from Tennessee and is a Titans fan. I just congratulated her on the Titans winning the division next year. 

Sorry, I hope, hope, hope, Carson makes me eat my words right now, and I will be rooting for him, but I'm just being pragmatic right now.

Titans fans know how much value there can be in a successful reclamation project.

1 hour ago, poilucelt said:

it sounds like Ballard may be intending to address that primarily via free agency--maybe edge rusher as well?

and this draft has a number of speed WRs who will still be around on Day Two--not big guys, for the most part, but guys w/ legit speed

All they need to do is sign Allen Robinson.  That’s it.  Sign him and forget receiving talent in the draft.

1 minute ago, Pelt said:

I am in the same boat. Pragmatism (and objectivity for that matter) is not always something you find a lot of on a fan forum. Over time, I hope I can get excited about this. I will root for him anyways. 

But we can't ignore that Wentz has not played truly played good football (at least that is close to the type that will move the needle for this team) since 2018. That is two seasons ago. Tribuskay and Goff were Pro Bowlers that season. But maybe he can back to it...who knows.

This trade is because of Reich. So I hope he's right about Wentz. With a move like this, he "should be" putting a lot on the line.

8 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

Titans fans know how much value there can be in a successful reclamation project.

They do. To them...it was a future 4th round pick...a swap of a 7th round pick for a MIA 6th round pick...and a $2M base salary.

This...is more like how MIN knows the value of a reclamation project when they traded for Sam Bradford.

Just now, groundnpound said:

Really? because he was widely viewed as a Mariota back up. So maybe not broken, but severely average and a disappointment to the team that drafted him?

I'd say he was aquired by Tennessee because the Titans were already losing faith in Mariota and saw the potential in a QB that was on a team that was being run pathetically.

11 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Don't recall Tannehill ever being referred to as "broken".

He was also never a shoo-in for an MVP before being injured.

There's definitely some risk with Wentz, but even if he plays at 2018 and 2019 levels (top 10-12 QB), that's a win for the Colts.

Just now, zibby43 said:

He was also never a shoe-in for an MVP before being injured.

There's definitely some risk with Wentz, but even if he plays at 2018 and 2019 levels (top 10-12 QB), that's a win for the Colts.

Again, as I said in my initial post, I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Determining the winner of this trade will have to await at least the upcoming season.  We don't even know if we're giving up a 1st or a 2nd next year.  We don't know what kind of QB will be as a Colt.  We don't know who the Eagles will get with the draft picks we traded them.

I'll say this much, though:  the price we paid to get him sure seems closer to (reportedly) the Colts' initial offer than the Eagles' initial offer.  But Roseman apparently got a bit froggy once he saw the Stafford/Goff trade and figured he'd parlay that into similar value for Wentz.   It was preposterous and I can't blame him for trying.  At the end of the day though, he may end up with a 1st rounder....but only if Wentz doesn't befall the same fate here that he did there.

Just now, zibby43 said:

He was also never a shoe-in for an MVP before being injured.

2018 would be solid...not 2019. That QB is somewhere between JB and Rivers.

Just now, Nickster said:

He’s really unhappy there.  They probably will, but you could probably throw them a bone and get him in a sign and trade.

they may need to tag him just in order to turn around and get some picks for him, or make him part of a trade for a QB

30 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If the Colts have to bench him to keep from losing a first,   they lost.    I don't think that will happen though

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Determining the winner of this trade will have to await at least the upcoming season.  We don't even know if we're giving up a 1st or a 2nd next year.  We don't know what kind of QB will be as a Colt.  We don't know who the Eagles will get with the draft picks we traded them.

I'll say this much, though:  the price we paid to get him sure seems closer to (reportedly) the Colts' initial offer than the Eagles' initial offer.  But Roseman apparently got a bit froggy once he saw the Stafford/Goff trade and figured he'd parlay that into similar value for Wentz.   It was preposterous and I can't blame him for trying.  At the end of the day though, he may end up with a 1st rounder....but only if Wentz doesn't befall the same fate here that he did there.

I think it's a great deal for Roseman. He got a 1st round pick out of Wentz. OR he gets a 2nd round pick for Wentz in the event that it doesn't work out for the Colts. It can be both a good deal for both teams.

10 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I'd say he was aquired by Tennessee because the Titans were already losing faith in Mariota and saw the potential in a QB that was on a team that was being run pathetically.

You can say same about Wentz/Eagles.  They’ve been a dumpster fire after the SB.  Horrible drafts, no talent on the OL and limited weapons.  Their closer to clown show then the team that won the SB

Just now, Nickster said:

I don’t think he will be all that valuable in a trade with a tag.

All it would do is give the trading team an easier route to negotiate. However, CHI isn't getting more than they would get via a comp pick...and they have to somehow have room for the tag.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If the Colts have to bench him to keep from losing a first,   they lost.    I don't think that will happen though

I'm frankly less worried about that than I am seeing Wentz play in the first 12 or so games....and then getting injured for the rest of the season, i.e., he meets the "75% threshold" but the Colts have to play the rest of the season w/ Eason or someone else, miss the playoffs, and watch the Eagles get their 1st rounder in 2022.

Paranoid view, I'll admit, but forgive me if I'm a bit paranoid about Colts' quarterbacks these days

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think it's a great deal for Roseman. He got a 1st round pick out of Wentz. OR he gets a 2nd round pick for Wentz in the event that it doesn't work out for the Colts. It can be both a good deal for both teams.

maybe it gets the Philly media off Howie's back....for 3-4 hours

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   broken or not, the former first rounder was traded basically for a 4th round pick and a few other lesser considerations.   So he didn’t have much value within the league. 

Which proved wonderful for the Titans. I'm hoping we are just as fortunate. But right now I'm dubious at best about this transaction.

Just now, Pelt said:

In the same sense as what they are referring to Wentz being broken?

Tannehills best in Miami wasn't as good as Wentz in Philly.   Also , Tannehill didn't play in Philly.  Philly media and fans are ruthless.   Dolphins fans and media are softer than us.

Im not a Talent evaluator.    If Frank thinks he can get back to 2017 form and Ballard agrees,  I'm all in.   No coach currently employed in the NFL know Wentz better than Frank

Archived