Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

15 minutes ago, legend300 said:

Can someone post how much cap space we will have now that we have added Wentz and cap at least $180 million. 

I would say roughly 50 mil. We were at 69 mil plus 5 mil for the cap going from 175 to 180 so that's 74 mil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am never playing poker with Ballard. My god that's a steal.

Long time Eagles fan, here is my rundown on Carson Wentz. I'll start with Wentz the person/teammate. Through 2018 he was widely considered a great guy, great teammate, hard worker. Then out of t

From Adam Schefter: Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a firs

Posted Images

Man. This is a potentially masterful digging out over the past 2 years from losing Andrew. Losing a franchise QB is very often disastrous for teams. Ballard. wow. 

We end up in the playoffs last year with one year of Phil Rivers and now we move ahead with a guy who was the second pick in the draft 5 years ago and a young, strong-armed backup. 

How did we go from having a horrible GM in Grigson to maybe the best? Awesome.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

No...he just has to take 75% of the QB snaps next season. He can't do that if he is injured for a long time obviously...but whether they make the playoffs or not doesn't matter (unless they have the balls to bench him).

Lets hope for the best - he plays over 75% and gets us into the playoffs at least 

• Like 1

The terms of the conditional 2nd rounder next year makes me feel like Ballard plans to bring in another QB aswell either through free agency or the draft.

Let's say Wentz stays healthy and plays the full season but continues his bad play from last year. In this scenario the Colts could very well end up going 6-10 or worse depending on how well we fill our other roster needs this year. That means we could be giving away a top 10 pick next year for a crap QB. I, personally, think Ballard brings in another vet from FA, just in case Wentz is unsalvagable.

Also, first post yay!

Also, English isn't my first language, don't kill me.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I mean...they didn't bench JB and he was 2020 Wentz bad after coming back. There was no incentive to do so though then...outside of seeing what Kelly could do...but we don't really have a precedent for how they deal with QBs underperforming. 

Yeah, personally I don’t see Reich benching Wentz (especially if Eason doesn’t impress/get a chance to impress in PS). 

I could see Ballard getting involved, protecting his pick. I’m sure he and Reich have talked about the scenario, but will be interesting to see what happens if Wentz doesn’t live up.

Still think they ride him the whole season barring catastrophic play/attitude though.

• Like 1

I watched many eagles games last year, as I had miles sanders and others on my fantasy team. I can tell you first hand that their Oline was terrible. Also wentz was throwing to 4th and 5th string wr’s ( a couple rookies also). No ertz either. Not only did wentz regress, miles sanders did and the offense as a whole. I think bad coaching and lack of weapons hurt Carson. He’s coming to a great situation. The complete opposite than with philly. He still has a strong arm and shows mobility. I think this works out for us, IF he stays healthy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't want Rivers last year but he came in and balled out.

Didnt want Wentz but as with Rivers, i can see how this could be great if the best case scenario unfolds.

Ballard always makes sure he isnt going into the draft with obvious NEEDS. It's a great tackle class but i'm betting he gets one in free agency. And good odds he trades down.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bench him for who? Brian Hoyer was awful when he played. Chad Kelly still hasn't played a real snap in the NFL. There's no reason to think that they wouldn't bench him if he doesn't play well. In fact, the conditions on the 2022 pick would make it likely that they would bench him.

But I think they're probably expecting him to play well. Unlike some people.

Either has Eason...who is the presumed backup QB in this scenario? I am just saying they haven't shown a propensity to do that in the very small sample we have.

If the reports of the deal are correct, we managed to trade a first and 2nd round pick for the 2nd worst qb in the league with a terrible contract. All this does is invite disfunction because we will need to bench him if we aren’t contenders to keep our 1st rounder, but Reich won’t bench him. So we will have to fire Reich in the 2nd half of the season so that we don’t lose the 1st rounder. This is terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait a min. You thought the Colts played well last year? And you dont have your expectation of Superbowl every year?

You know what you are right. Because if the Colts only made it to 2 Superbowls with arguably the GOAT Peyton Manning, then I guess we shouldnt expect a superbowl anytime soon, if we go by your method/example...

But hey, KC Chiefs, Buffalo, Ravens even the Browns will be looking toward the Superbowl every year.

Enjoy your AFC South Divisional Banner "IF" you actually win that.

You are being totally unrealistic. There was no offseason. There was Covid-19. We had a new QB with new receivers. Was our season perfect? No of course not, but to think it was some abject failure like you are making it out to be is foolish. Sure I would love to win the Super Bowl every year, but that just isn't going to happen. It doesn't make me a bad fan or satisfied with losing. It just makes me a realist. If Wentz returns to his previous form our team will be right up near the top of the AFC with KC, Baltimore, and Buffalo.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

If the reports of the deal are correct, we managed to trade a first and 2nd round pick for the 2nd worst qb in the league with a terrible contract. All this does is invite disfunction because we will need to bench him if we aren’t contenders to keep our 1st rounder, but Reich won’t bench him. So we will have to fire Reich in the 2nd half of the season so that we don’t lose the 1st rounder. This is terrible.

wow. your first post on the forum and its a total freak out

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, shasta519 said:

Either has Eason...who is the presumed backup QB in this scenario? I am just saying they haven't shown a propensity to do that in the very small sample we have.

So let's just operate under the assumption that a functional staff won't bench a QB who isn't playing well... This makes no sense.

If he's not playing well, they'll bench him. It's obvious.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait a min. You thought the Colts played well last year? And you dont have your expectation of Superbowl every year?

You know what you are right. Because if the Colts only made it to 2 Superbowls with arguably the GOAT Peyton Manning, then I guess we shouldnt expect a superbowl anytime soon, if we go by your method/example...

But hey, KC Chiefs, Buffalo, Ravens even the Browns will be looking toward the Superbowl every year.

Enjoy your AFC South Divisional Banner "IF" you actually win that.

with numbers like: 

2020: 3-8-1 record | 57% comp | 16 TD | 15 INT | 49.6 QBR (Wentz)

I wouldn't expect the Superbowl Either. By the way, please dont get those numbers confused, as they were produced not by JB but Wentz. Hurray JB!

Huh?

• Thanks 1

This also address the huge hole on our team and we still get to keep our 1st and 2nd round picks this year. Our team isn’t far off. Now let’s figure out the left tackle and secondary situations and sky is the limit.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So most likely a 1st barring injury. Unless we pull him during the season but that’s not gonna happen. Hopefully it works out.

In essence we have 10-12 games to figure out if he's the guy... and if he's not... we better bench him and go get our guy from the draft. It would be horrible if he's meh and plays enough to deprive us from our 1st. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

I do believe this puts pressure on Frank, as this reeks of Reich lobbying for his guy. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

You are being totally unrealistic. There was no offseason. There was Covid-19. We had a new QB with new receivers. Was our season perfect? No of course not, but to think it was some abject failure like you are making it out to be is foolish. Sure I would love to win the Super Bowl every year, but that just isn't going to happen. It doesn't make me a bad fan or satisfied with losing. It just makes me a realist. If Wentz returns to his previous form our team will be right up near the top of the AFC with KC, Baltimore, and Buffalo.

For some reason some in here think we should win the SB every year and if we don't we suck. Comical. This past season we just had was a good season and were competitive in the playoffs as well. Should've beat Buffalo.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Huh?

Huh?

2020: 3-8-1 record | 57% comp | 16 TD | 15 INT | 49.6 QBR (Wentz)

I wouldn't expect the Superbowl Either. By the way, please dont get those numbers confused, as they were produced not by JB but Wentz. 

Do you get it now? The guy who you are jacked about... Those are this numbers. Dont put on the blinders now. Those numbers are worse than JB as a starting QB. Thats what the "Huh" is... Carson Wentz. Not Palmer

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As much as I wasn't for getting Wentz, we got him for only a 3rd round pick this year and 2nd round pick in 2022. That is a steal in reality and not much, if and this is a big IF, Wentz can play like at least an above average QB to good. He has to better than average or we are screwed. I am hoping our O.Line and run game really help him and being coached by Reich will pull him out of his funk. Now we should draft a LT in round 1 and another Edge Rusher in round 2 IMO, in round 4 maybe another WR?

I will come back to this because I didn't want Wentz but for that deal it may be worth a shot.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Superman said:

From the guy who completely didn't want Wentz, so you know that other post was outrageous.

yep. didn't want him, dont want him. HOWEVER, I will as i said before, now root for him since he is our QB. I have faith in Reich/Ballard to know what they are doing. but im not gonna say that Reich wont bench him if he stuggles.  The bigger question is, just how long a leash he has

Im excited for the trade i think there is a lot of "potential". Lets not all pretend this is a guranteed success though. Wentz looked flat out bad last year, mentally especially. Its not guaranteed that just because he is reunited with Reich and will have some protection that he will return to his previous form of winning football. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

In essence we have 10-12 games to figure out if he's the guy... and if he's not... we better bench him and go get our guy from the draft. It would be horrible if he's meh and plays enough to deprive us from our 1st. 

Yeah, I shouldn’t say that they definitely won’t bench him. I think that’s clearly an option in Ballard’s mind considering the conditions of the trade.

I just think it’s unlikely. Unless he’s fumbling/turning the ball over 2-3 times a game and has a bad attitude about it. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

yep. didn't want him, dont want him. HOWEVER, I will as i said before, now root for him since he is our QB. I have faith in Reich/Ballard to know what they are doing. but im not gonna say that Reich wont bench him if he stuggles.  The bigger question is, just how long a leash he has

I would say his leash is about 11 games long, because after that it will become a first

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I shouldn’t say that they definitely won’t bench him. I think that’s clearly an option in Ballard’s mind considering the conditions of the trade.

I just think it’s unlikely. Unless he’s fumbling/turning the ball over 2-3 times a game/has a bad attitude about it.

I would love to know what Ballard had in mind with this one - is it an injury protection or a play protection? It's probably both, but I wonder which one he's worried more about. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No it’s also tied to making the playoffs. 

Not if he plays 75% of the snaps. Read the post. 75% of snaps OR 70% + playoffs.

Also, to the people worrying over four years worth of $25m cap hits - he's cuttable after two years. If he's good, $25m a year is a steal. If he's not good, it's not too painful to move on.

I like the trade a lot. It's a risk for sure but the situation necessitates a gamble. The roster is potentially Superbowl-worthy but doesn't have a QB. I'm fine gambling one future 1st to fill the most important spot on the roster with the best available option, who just happens to have MVP-level upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

Round of applause for the worst posting of the year so far. Off to a great start there buddy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
46 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm really surprised the conditions are based on playing time. If Wentz is good, we'll be giving up a first in 2022.

Seems fair to me bc he has some injury history. Also he has to be good. Otherwise the 2022 part doesnt even come into play.

Just now, BluesGirl said:

So can Wentz come to Indy yet?  Or can they not have contact until the new NFL yr?

No deals are official til the new league year. Colts can't even talk about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The terms of the conditional 2nd rounder next year makes me feel like Ballard plans to bring in another QB aswell either through free agency or the draft.

Let's say Wentz stays healthy and plays the full season but continues his bad play from last year. In this scenario the Colts could very well end up going 6-10 or worse depending on how well we fill our other roster needs this year. That means we could be giving away a top 10 pick next year for a crap QB. I, personally, think Ballard brings in another vet from FA, just in case Wentz is unsalvagable.

Also, first post yay!

Also, English isn't my first language, don't kill me.

Great 1st post. Welcome. :colts:

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Bright said is we got him and gave up very little. I didn't want him either but a 3rd this year and a 2nd in 2022 isn't much.

• Superman changed the title to Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)
  • Superman locked and unlocked this topic