Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

If the reports of the deal are correct, we managed to trade a first and 2nd round pick for the 2nd worst qb in the league with a terrible contract. All this does is invite disfunction because we will need to bench him if we aren’t contenders to keep our 1st rounder, but Reich won’t bench him. So we will have to fire Reich in the 2nd half of the season so that we don’t lose the 1st rounder. This is terrible.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Round of applause for the worst posting so far of the year. Off to a great start there buddy.

Not saying I agree with that post, but the second worst QB comment was based on pff last year I believe.  I saw that on reddit, it might have been another source besides pff, it will probably get brought up again 

Woooooooo!!! 

Yay! Not to take away from Rivers, but can't wait to see some actual QB rollouts! 

I'm excited to see some actual PLAY ACTION

I'm excited to see the Colts not play shotgun 95% of the time - JT will love getting back to QB under center 

Another great Ballard move!! 

Let's pray he stays healthy 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

wow. your first post on the forum and its a total freak out

I mean the situation is dire. He was terrible last year, he is a locker room cancer, and he has no motivation to play well because he is already getting paid. He just held the team that drafted him hostage to get traded. He can do the same to us. Because of the conditional pick there will be potential friction within the organization to sit him. 

17 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Hoping they get rid of Jacoby and we can ride with Wentz/Eason. Either Wentz plays well and stays healthy, or we get to see what we have in Eason. Interesting season ahead!!

Jacoby Brissett is a free agent, but I can't see him re-signing with the Colts to back up Carson Wentz or even worse, to compete with Jacob Eason for that role. Indy wouldn't trade for Wentz (especially a potential 1st round pick) without the intention of starting him, Jacoby or no Jacoby. 

The most likely scenario for next season is Wentz backed up by Eason (or a journeyman), and possibly a day 3 draft pick or UFA as the #3, if we even choose to carry 3 QBs but I suspect we will -  it might even be Carson #1,  journeyman vet #2 and Eason #3 yet again.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I hope we’re all happy next April when we don’t have a first.   Not trying to sound negative.  I really mean it.  

It's indeed a tough pill to swallow, no sugarcoating. I'm still not much of a Wentz fan, but the trade could have been so much worse. Both sides were going to lose something in this type of a trade. 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Woooooooo!!! 

Yay! Not to take away from Rivers, but can't wait to see some actual QB rollouts! 

I'm excited to see some actual PLAY ACTION

I'm excited to see the Colts not play shotgun 95% of the time - JT will love getting back to QB under center 

Another great Ballard move!! 

Let's pray he stays healthy 

So will Ryan Kelly

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I can’t believe I doubted Ballard. This man literally just stomped on the Eagles’ front office. Like, is this trade even legal ? Lol

do you actually believe that? I bet the eagle front office is dancing that they dont have to pay him 50 mil over the next 2 seasons, they were clearly desperate to get out of the contract

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dont worry @WhyMclovin94. In 2020, the Colts signed Philip RIvers. I was against this addition. Come 2021, I was right. Dont worry about ppl who tries to convince you that your eyes was lying to you about mentioned QBs. lol your eyes were right. forget the haters. They believe hype from other "fans".

Exactly my dude I felt the same way, and these same people were the ones that told us we were like the fans who booed Luck because we didn’t want Rivers.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Now maybe we can talk about that 21st pick!

LT?  Edge?  BPA?

I’d say the signs point to a left tackle but if a pass rusher is there at 21 you take him and don’t blink.  They don’t fall that far normally and have a first round grade.  I couldn’t rule out a corner either.

6 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Not saying I agree with that post, but the second worst QB comment was based on pff last year I believe.  I saw that on reddit, it might have been another source besides pff, it will probably get brought up again 

I don't blame that completely on Carson. You have to look at the circumstances as well. A beat up oline, weapons falling like crazy, and terrible coaching.

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

sound like a Rivers Capper. Just say I was right about RIvers from the Jump. Instead of saying "Yea, that RIvers thing didnt get it done just like JB didnt".

You want to say excuses like "Well there's always next year. And there's only 1 winner at the end"... Cap. Just be a Cleveland Browns fan. (ouchh)

DO you think Peyton Manning/Marvin Harrison/ Egerring James would talk like you? "Oh you cant win them all"

better yet, do you think TB12 talks as you do? exactly. Thats why Indy has won 1 superbowl in 30 years with mind sets like yours. sad.

1 ring with Peyton freaking Manning. SMFH

Who doesn't want to win the SB every year? Not even sure why you posted this because everyone in here wants to win the SB every year but it isn't realistic. Teams like GB and NO and KC have only won 1 SB over the last 21 years, it is not easy for any team to win a SB so just stop. Yeah and Rivers did have a good year no matter how you slice it. According to your logic Mahomes is a failure and not any good because he didn't win a SB this year.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would love to know what Ballard had in mind with this one - is it an injury protection or a play protection? It's probably both, but I wonder which one he's worried more about. 

Seems two-sided to me. Rather than making it about performance, which can be influenced by other team factors, they made it about playing time, which is isolated on Wentz's availability and performance.

I would have figured yardage or TDs would be factors, but where do you set those marks? Only 12 QBs went over 4,000 passing yards last season, and the Colts have only had one 30 passing TD season in the last four years. I could see Philly rejecting either of those terms, because they're very team reliant.

But if he's good, and he's healthy, he'll play. It's a win for both sides.

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The terms of the conditional 2nd rounder next year makes me feel like Ballard plans to bring in another QB aswell either through free agency or the draft.

Let's say Wentz stays healthy and plays the full season but continues his bad play from last year. In this scenario the Colts could very well end up going 6-10 or worse depending on how well we fill our other roster needs this year. That means we could be giving away a top 10 pick next year for a crap QB. I, personally, think Ballard brings in another vet from FA, just in case Wentz is unsalvagable.

Also, first post yay!

Also, English isn't my first language, don't kill me.

If Wentz is bad they will bench him and keep the first.  

You can give Wentz 10 games or so and if you don't like the results or we're way out of the playoff hunt, you bench, and go with Easton.  

Your English is fine.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I hope we’re all happy next April when we don’t have a first.   Not trying to sound negative.  I really mean it.  

If we dont have a first then it means he played well sir so whats the complaint? Its like complaining that we gave up a first for Buckner. And the 2022 first doesnt even happen if he sucks. If he sucks then mostly we gave up a 3rd and had to pay his salary this year. If he sucks he will be gone pretty soon mind you.

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Those conditions are a little disappointing. I was hoping they would be more performance based. 

Overall, though I’m ok with this move.  After Stafford was off the table, we had to kiss a frog at some point because that’s all that was left.  They all have warts.  At least we have Reich and hopefully he has what it takes to turn this particular frog back into a prince. 

If wentz is not playing well colts can bench him like 11 games in and save a first round pick . It’s genius move if he is back to mvp form then giving up a first and a second  for a young franchise top 5 guy is a great deal . The eagles gave up so much just to draft him . The going rate is 3 first rounders for a young franchise Qb.  Colts have saved their first round and second round picks this draft to get a tackle and corner high and then can get a elite pass rusher in free agency and a wr

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

so doesnt that say even more about the trade that their willing to get rid of him and still take that massive of a hit

They want to put Hurts with NS

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If we dont have a first then it means he played well sir so whats the complaint? Its like complaining that we gave up a first for Buckner. And the 2022 first doesnt even happen if he sucks. If he sucks then mostly we gave up a 3rd and had to pay his salary this year. If he sucks he will be gone pretty soon mind you.

Bingoremake bingo GIF

22 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

If the reports of the deal are correct, we managed to trade a first and 2nd round pick for the 2nd worst qb in the league with a terrible contract. All this does is invite disfunction because we will need to bench him if we aren’t contenders to keep our 1st rounder, but Reich won’t bench him. So we will have to fire Reich in the 2nd half of the season so that we don’t lose the 1st rounder. This is terrible.

Lol. What a terrible, incoherent, inaccurate response.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Right about what?  Phil was decent

I dont want to pull receipts. ANd btw you are a new member. Have you seen the last play of the playoffs?

RIvers couldnt throw 50 yards to save his life, nor the Colts life. The ball landed at roughly the 6 yard line when the line of scrimmage was approx 47 yard line (Colts side of feild). BTW The Colts paid Rivers $25 Million for that. Compared to JB's $16 Mill. Before the snap, Charles Davis (Commentator) says "What will the Colts do. Typically it has been Brissett to throw deep balls".

Even the commentator knows this info, so you know opposing teams know this info. ANd you say RIvers was decent? your expectations are on the floor. Pick it up because opposing teams dont give a darn about Philip Rivers.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Also very true. Ballard made sure to protect the organization in case this whole thing blows up (which is about a 50/50 chance). 

Is it a risk to take Wentz?  Of course it is, but the reward could be much more valuable.  

Are the people complaining about a potential first rd pick more than a year from now also the ones who wanted to "Do whatever it takes" to move up and take the 3rd or 4th QB in this draft?  That would have easily taken at least one 1st rounder and many other picks THIS year to take someone who is younger, but also high risk and would take years to get up to speed.

I wanted Stafford when all that was going on, but NOT at the price it would have taken. 

I am fine with the potential we have with Wentz and am not upset with the picks given up.

This was a good move and now still have 1st and 2nd round picks this year to fill in some holes.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

do you actually believe that? I bet the eagle front office is dancing that they dont have to pay him 50 mil over the next 2 seasons, they were clearly desperate to get out of the contract

Considering they were basically crying out in desperation for a first for Wentz, yes, Ballard fleeced them

Archived