Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's still potential ammo to improve the team. We can't use the 2022 first as trade fodder (if we wanted to move up, which probably wouldn't be happening once Wentz is on the roster). 

But I said for a while I wouldn't be thrilled about not having a first rounder in consecutive seasons, and this deal avoids that. And the 2021 third kind of equalizes it for me. 

I'm okay with this deal. Just get ready to give up that first rounder next season.

If the young QB who would have several years to give, wins us our division and sets up our franchise, a 1st rounder would definitely be worth it for a franchise QB when it is all said and done. We covered ourselves, should things go south, that is the best part of this trade, IMO. Medium risk, high reward is what I would say this trade is.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So most likely a 1st barring injury. Unless we pull him during the season but that’s not gonna happen. Hopefully it works out.

nah, if hes good and we're winning, you could always bench him in the 3rd quarter and let Eason have some snaps to mess with the snap percentage

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

So the conditional pick is just insured against injury...because he will be the starter all season regardless of how bad he plays.

If Wentz is bad, they'll bench him. That always would have been the case, but the terms of this deal basically incentivize the team not to keep playing him if he's not performing well.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

shows that the market wasnt there for Wentz. 

They still got (1) 1st round pick for him. People will say it's a 2nd and 3rd...but that's a 1st round pick unless he gets hurt or is so bad he has to be benched (in which case the deal is a disaster anyways).

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

nah, if hes good and we're winning, you could always bench him in the 3rd quarter and let Eason have some snaps to mess with the snap percentage

They won't do that and potentially risk losing a game just to mess with the snap percentages.  

However they will pull him if he sucks and shows no sign of improvement.  

This is a well managed risk if you ask me.  

25 minutes ago, ColtV said:

From Adam Schefter: Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

Dont like it. This reminds me of when the Colts signed Philip Rivers. "Oh RIvers had worked with Coach Frank in the past".

So is that a good thing? what was their results in the end, both at Chargers and Colts?

Oh and the year Carson and the Eagles made it to the Superbowl, Carson was actually injured. Meaning he didnt even play in the Superbowl nor the playoffs. Just some facts. thats all. Furthermore, Carson has looked like trash including last season.

2020: 3-8-1 record | 57% comp | 16 TD | 15 INT | 49.6 QBR (Wentz)

And this is the numbers for Caron Wentz and this fan base erupts with joy over this??

2019: 7-9 record | 60.8% comp | 18 TD | 6 INT | 88 QBR (Brissett) 

I feel bad for JB. Should have left the Colts high and dry just like Luck did. Maybe then once they called JB names or condemn him for not being a "Locker room guy" , "Team First" kind guy would be warranted. Because replacing JB with Wentz is asinine. 

17 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This is an absolute steal. I'm looking forward to seeing what Wentz will do with a competent coaching staff, good o-line, good defense and offense. Now we can address the LT position either in FA or the draft.

This is a steal because if he performs well enough for Philly to earn that first round pick next year then that means the Colts are doing well....He was having an MVP season with a competent coaching staff, good oline and good defense the year of the "Philly Special"

If he regains that level of play we're looking good for the next 5-6 years!

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

its a second and a first if wentz plays well, i wouldnt call it a steal given his contract, but a fair trade

It is a third and a first (conditional from 2nd). Only the 2nd round pick is conditional, moving up to a 1st if he plays well. The third rounder is not conditional.

If he plays to 2017 Wentz, it’s the steal of the decade, and he’s in the MVP conversation.

If he’s bad, we keep our first round pick next year, and can continue our QB search.

I have a feeling we’re gonna be somewhere in the middle. I just don’t know which way we’ll be leaning.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dont like it. This reminds me of when the Colts signed Philip Rivers. "Oh RIvers had worked with Coach Frank in the past".

So is that a good thing? what was their results in the end, both at Chargers and Colts?

Oh and the year Carson and the Eagles made it to the Superbowl, Carson was actually injured. Meaning he didnt even play in the Superbowl nor the playoffs. Just some facts. thats all. Furthermore, Carson has looked like trash including last season.

So the only team that had a good season last year was Tampa Bay? Sorry man but we went 11-5 and made the playoffs with Rivers. We had a good year and should have won the game against Buffalo. If you are expecting a Super Bowl every year you are going to be very disappointed.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

I'm pretty sure Wentz was in the MVP running that year until he got injured. I believe they were already a playoff lock or in the playoffs when he went down. He hasn't looked the same since, but is that due to injuries or maybe due to Reich leaving?

I wasn't advocating for Wentz, but for the compensation, I'll take it. Gotta trust Ballard and Reich to make the right decisions. Also, Rivers wasn't a bad signing for us and he wasn't the reason we lost in the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Looks like its happening.  I should be more excited but Carson scares me.  He has the tools to be good, but also tends to not finish seasons and a questionable attitude.

What else can I say but go Colts.  They are rolling the dice pretty hard here imo 

I’m not sure what to think either.  I like the trade “value”, i like his physical skills, and we are really only tied to him for 2 years at a “reasonable” 20ish million.  He basically costs what EITHER Rivers or JB does..... which i’m ok with.

What concerns me is the reports of not being a leader and not taking well to hard coaching..... he is “soft”.

However i think Frank is the right coach for him and i’m gonna give Wentz a chance.  Ballard will still hedge i believe.  Whether that is Eason, JB, or someone else.

Archived