Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If Wentz is bad, they'll bench him. That always would have been the case, but the terms of this deal basically incentivize the team not to keep playing him if he's not performing well.

How bad is bad though? If they are either out of the playoffs or a complete longshot to make it as they near that threshold...you think they bench him so they don't lose a mid-1st round pick? That would be the shrewd move...but it will destroy the deal.

Curious at what point Ballard would protect that future 1st.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, legend300 said:

Can someone post how much cap space we will have now that we have added Wentz and cap at least $180 million. 

From what I've seen he's a $25.4M cap hit this year. I'm not sure how that affects our total cap # since they announced the new total salary cap today as well.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

How bad is bad though? If they are either out of the playoffs or a complete longshot to make it as they near that threshold...you think they bench him so they don't lose a mid-1st round pick? That would be the shrewd move...but it will destroy the deal.

If we don’t make the playoffs and he gets injured, they don’t get the 1st, right?

This is a much better deal than what was being reported, which is why you should always take those reports with a grain of salt and not as gospel truth, even if that second rounder becomes a first.  

it does have some risk.  I am most worried about Wentz’s inability to stay healthy but he has regressed as well.  With that said if anyone can fix Wentz it’s reasonable to suspect it’s Reich.  

With that said short of Stafford or Watson (which was never happening) he was the best of what’s on the market.

Just now, shasta519 said:

I don't know how bad, but just pushing back on the idea that they won't bench him if he's not performing. Of course they will.

Just now, csmopar said:

you mean cut? thats a 25 mil cut, it was to be 205mil this year.  some rumors had it at 175 mil.

Yeah, we knew it was going to be cut for sure, and most were estimating 175. It's only 5, but better than nothing considering the climate. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-increases-minimum-salary-cap-to-180-million-in-2021

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Contract numbers are huge, cap hits of 25M, 22M, 25M, 26M, the next 4 seasons, as per spotrac, these may not be 100% accurate. Coming off a bad season. Its a bit of a gamble

correct, but i do believe after the 2021 season, cutting him saves a ton as he has little in guaranteed money after this coming season

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Contract numbers are huge, cap hits of 25M, 22M, 25M, 26M, the next 4 seasons, as per spotrac, these may not be 100% accurate. Coming off a bad season. Its a bit of a gamble

But 9nly the first 2 years are guaranteed. Can cut him after 2022 for no dead cap hit

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm really surprised the conditions are based on playing time. If Wentz is good, we'll be giving up a first in 2022.

Those conditions are a little disappointing. I was hoping they would be more performance based. 

Overall, though I’m ok with this move.  After Stafford was off the table, we had to kiss a frog at some point because that’s all that was left.  They all have warts.  At least we have Reich and hopefully he has what it takes to turn this particular frog back into a prince. 

Just now, Superman said:

I don't know how bad, but just pushing back on the idea that they won't bench him if he's not performing. Of course they will.

I mean...they didn't bench JB and he was 2020 Wentz bad after coming back. There was no incentive to do so though then...outside of seeing what Kelly could do...but we don't really have a precedent for how they deal with QBs underperforming. 

6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

About the same hit as PR

Just now, CamMo said:

Hoping they get rid of Jacoby and we can ride with Wentz/Eason. Either Wentz plays well and stays healthy, or we get to see what we have in Eason. Interesting season ahead!!

This trade takes out of the QB market

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Those conditions are a little disappointing. I was hoping they would be more performance based. 

Overall, though I’m ok with this move.  After Stafford was off the table, we had to kiss a frog at some point because that’s all that was left.  They all have warts.  At least we have Reich and hopefully he has what it takes to turn this particular frog back into a prince. 

Yeah...I don't like the conditions either. I am going to refer to it as a conditional 1st round pick that becomes a 2nd round pick if he doesn't play 75% of the snaps. It's the same thing.

32 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Looks like its happening.  I should be more excited but Carson scares me.  He has the tools to be good, but also tends to not finish seasons and a questionable attitude.

What else can I say but go Colts.  They are rolling the dice pretty hard here imo 

Has anyone actually corroborated the reports he's a bad attitude or negative locker room influence?  There may have been some, but I've only heard unnamed reports

17 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

So the only team that had a good season last year was Tampa Bay? Sorry man but we went 11-5 and made the playoffs with Rivers. We had a good year and should have won the game against Buffalo. If you are expecting a Super Bowl every year you are going to be very disappointed.

Wait a min. You thought the Colts played well last year? And you dont have your expectation of Superbowl every year?

You know what you are right. Because if the Colts only made it to 2 Superbowls with arguably the GOAT Peyton Manning, then I guess we shouldnt expect a superbowl anytime soon, if we go by your method/example...

But hey, KC Chiefs, Buffalo, Ravens even the Browns will be looking toward the Superbowl every year.

Enjoy your AFC South Divisional Banner "IF" you actually win that.

with numbers like: 

2020: 3-8-1 record | 57% comp | 16 TD | 15 INT | 49.6 QBR (Wentz)

I wouldn't expect the Superbowl Either. By the way, please dont get those numbers confused, as they were produced not by JB but Wentz. Hurray JB!

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we don’t make the playoffs and he gets injured, they don’t get the 1st, right?

No...he just has to take 75% of the QB snaps next season. He can't do that if he is injured for a long time obviously...but whether they make the playoffs or not doesn't matter (unless they have the balls to bench him).

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is a much better deal than what was being reported, which is why you should always take those reports with a grain of salt and not as gospel truth, even if that second rounder becomes a first.  

it does have some risk.  I am most worried about Wentz’s inability to stay healthy but he has regressed as well.  With that said if anyone can fix Wentz it’s reasonable to suspect it’s Reich.  

With that said short of Stafford or Watson (which was never happening) he was the best of what’s on the market.

I do not believe Wentz forgot how to play the game (regressed).
He was in a bad situation as the offense as a whole was lacking.
 A better overall situation is right in front of him. He IS Fixed!

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I mean...they didn't bench JB and he was 2020 Wentz bad after coming back. There was no incentive to do so though then...outside of seeing what Kelly could do...but we don't really have a precedent for how they deal with QBs underperforming. 

Bench him for who? Brian Hoyer was awful when he played. Chad Kelly still hasn't played a real snap in the NFL. There's no reason to think that they wouldn't bench him if he doesn't play well. In fact, the conditions on the 2022 pick would make it likely that they would bench him.

But I think they're probably expecting him to play well. Unlike some people.

38 minutes ago, ColtV said:

From Adam Schefter: Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

I thought this was an obvious move in October, not surprised in the least.  I'm very interested to see what the cap implications are, this was the only viable move that made sense from a player perspective outside of Stafford.  Wentz can play, there's no doubt, now will he?  I think so, Frank will need to reprogram him.  Massive kudos to Ballard for getting this done without sacrificing the future...this is exciting!  Now, where's JJ? :)

As much as I wasn't for getting Wentz, we got him for only a 3rd round pick this year and 2nd round pick in 2022. That is a steal in reality and not much, if and this is a big IF, Wentz can play like at least an above average QB to good. He has to better than average or we are screwed. I am hoping our O.Line and run game really help him and being coached by Reich will pull him out of his funk. Now we should draft a LT in round 1 and another Edge Rusher in round 2 IMO, in round 4 maybe another WR?

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Has anyone actually corroborated the reports he's a bad attitude or negative locker room influence?  There may have been some, but I've only heard unnamed reports

I dont know.  Most of what i heard lately was based on twitter rumors.  They did get the trade right

Archived