Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

We could maybe push it back into the 2nd but I think the identity of our team is going to center around a good OL.  If we don't get a LT than we put that identity at risk.

 

I suppose we could get one in FA to kick the can down the road so to speak, but if it's a deep LT draft, why wait?  

 

I don't see Ballard as a guy who drafts strictly for need, especially in Round 1.

 

I suspect Ballard feels there's a top tier of OTs and, if they're all gone by #21, there are still some promising OTs left BUT none of them are good value at #21. Maybe he then thinks "at least one of them will still be there at #54," or he looks to trade down for a 2nd rounder higher than his own and picks one of them there. In other words, because it is a deep LT draft is precisely why he CAN wait, especially if one of the premier edge rushers or cornerbacks is still there at #21.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am never playing poker with Ballard. My god that's a steal.

Long time Eagles fan, here is my rundown on Carson Wentz. I'll start with Wentz the person/teammate. Through 2018 he was widely considered a great guy, great teammate, hard worker. Then out of t

From Adam Schefter: Philadelphia has agreed to trade Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a firs

Posted Images

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

 

I don't see Ballard as a guy who drafts strictly for need, especially in Round 1.

 

I suspect Ballard feels there's a top tier of OTs and, if they're all gone by #21, there are still some promising OTs left BUT none of them are good value at #21. Maybe he then thinks "at least one of them will still be there at #54," or he looks to trade down for a 2nd rounder higher than his own and picks one of them there. In other words, because it is a deep LT draft is precisely why he CAN wait, especially if one of the premier edge rushers or cornerbacks is still there at #21.

WR is a need with TY not coming back now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

 

I don't see Ballard as a guy who drafts strictly for need, especially in Round 1.

 

I suspect Ballard feels there's a top tier of OTs and, if they're all gone by #21, there are still some promising OTs left BUT none of them are good value at #21. Maybe he then thinks "at least one of them will still be there at #54," or he looks to trade down for a 2nd rounder higher than his own and picks one of them there. In other words, because it is a deep LT draft is precisely why he CAN wait, especially if one of the premier edge rushers or cornerbacks is still there at #21.

 

I agree . . . it will all be relative to what actually happens in the draft.  However with the draft being deep at LT it's a good time for us to be needing one.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

If you read on overthecap, part of the 2022 salary becomes guaranteed in March of this year.  So it's not guaranteed now but it will be in a few weeks.

 

That said we could still cut ties with him if he was that bad and gain back some cap space.  

Yep $15m of 2022 becomes guaranteed in March, which will clearly happen.

 

 

Can still get out of 2022 if need be and save $7m. Or post June 1st cut for more. Could trade him and be responsible for none of the 2022 money though.

 

 

I don't anticipate that happening though, unless he just bombs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

You mind posting me a link so I don't have to try to find it? 

It was

 

1) what other teams in the last 5-10 years hired a HC from the O side of the ball without prior HC experience or even play calling OC experience.

2) other than the "well respected young" narrative, what specifically has Sirianni done in all his stops to warrant a HC position given #1 above. In other words, in his time as WR or QB coach, or even OC, what specifically can you point to purely say Sirianni was an obvious candidate statistically. 

 

You can PM me if you don't want to litter this thread. Not trying to be argumentative, just really interested if you've considered #1, and what your thoughts/reasoning are on #2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, w87r said:

Yep $15m of 2022 becomes guaranteed in March, which will clearly happen.

 

 

Can still get out of 2022 if need be and save $7m. Or post June 1st cut for more. Could trade him and be responsible for none of the 2022 money though.

 

 

I don't anticipate that happening though, unless he just bombs.

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as trading back goes, I think back to 2019 when the Colts traded 26 for 46 and the WFT 2020 2nd. 
So does 21 get something similar? 41ish and a 2022 2nd? There will still be great players available around the 40 mark including tackles

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RNGDShobby said:

As far as trading back goes, I think back to 2019 when the Colts traded 26 for 46 and the WFT 2020 2nd. 
So does 21 get something similar? 41ish and a 2022 2nd? There will still be great players available around the 40 mark including tackles

As I have said before(other threads) it could depend on who is available at 21

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

WR is a need with TY not coming back now.

it sounds like Ballard may be intending to address that primarily via free agency--maybe edge rusher as well?

 

and this draft has a number of speed WRs who will still be around on Day Two--not big guys, for the most part, but guys w/ legit speed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

We could maybe push it back into the 2nd but I think the identity of our team is going to center around a good OL.  If we don't get a LT than we put that identity at risk.

 

I suppose we could get one in FA to kick the can down the road so to speak, but if it's a deep LT draft, why wait?  

I think there are several OTs that will likely go in the 2nd that will be more than fine, if not very good. It's a talent rich draft at a lot of positions, and outside of those positions, there are the typical "reach" positions like DE, DT, and QB, that IMO will allow several OTs to drop or simply be available mid to late 2nd, if not early 3rd. 

 

Let's be honest too, AC was not playing at a high level last year overall. He was graded out at low 70s, down from 80s. Even the 70s IMO was in part because he had Q to his right. My point is, having Q there will make a lot of guys look better than they are like AC, and will cushion things for a new OT that perhaps needs a little time to adjust. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

it sounds like Ballard may be intending to address that primarily via free agency--maybe edge rusher as well?

 

and this draft has a number of speed WRs who will still be around on Day Two--not big guys, for the most part, but guys w/ legit speed

Proud Of You Yes GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After having a strong offensive line the previous five seasons, the Eagles line was plagued by injuries in 2020, starting 14 different combinations. They gave up a league-high 65 sacks. Wentz's sack percentage jumped from 5.7% in 2019 to 10.3% in 2020. 

 

I don't really know what to expect from Wentz in 2021, but I'm optimistic about the possibilities and think the Colts' pass blocking could help him quite a bit (a lot of QBs look kind of broken when their line sucks). Everybody talks about how bad he was this season, but not that long ago, the discussion was about how well he finished 2019. I've seen a couple of preseason opinion pieces that ranked him as the 6th or 7th-best QB in league coming into 2020, such as the one below: 

 

Quote

 

7. Carson Wentz

What Wentz did down the stretch of the 2019 season was pretty incredible. He carried a group of receivers who began the year on the practice squad into the playoffs. He needs to prove he can stay healthy and he needs to be more consistent, but Wentz at his best is nearly as good as any quarterback in the league. With some speed around him this season, he should be even better.

 

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/ranking-all-32-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-2020-carson-wentz

 

With Wentz's history of injuries, it will be interesting to see what the Colts choose to do for his backup. I'm not convinced they'll be comfortable with Eason being ready to be next in line should Wentz go down. Maybe they bring in another veteran and see how Eason looks in preseason games.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

It's hard to get a 1st round pick by just trading back out of the first round when you are in the later half of the first round.

 

I would say no, you grab your left tackle with that pick unless there is an elite pass rusher still on the board than try and get your left tackle with the 2nd.  

 

You'd have to trade waaaayyyy back from #21 to get a 1st rounder next year. Trading back for a 3rd is more likely.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

As far as trading back goes, I think back to 2019 when the Colts traded 26 for 46 and the WFT 2020 2nd. 
So does 21 get something similar? 41ish and a 2022 2nd? There will still be great players available around the 40 mark including tackles

if I were Ballard (and there was no one left at #21 I really loved) I'd look for teams w/ extra draft picks like the Jets--I already mentioned in a different thread that, FWIW, pick #21 is very close in value to their picks #34 and #66. And I feel pretty certain that several good OT prospects would still be there at #34, as well as some promising WRs likely at #54 and #66 (as well as some edge guys with potential).

 

Or maybe Atlanta could like someone at #21 more than anyone Ballard likes there, and would be willing to give up #35 and #68?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's making around the same as Rivers, so there's no big cap hit there. I'd see who's falls in the draft, if we don't like it or there's equal valve later I'd trade down to a #2 pick with another #2 for next year, to make up for the one we won't have. The Dolphins will have 2 2nd round picks, they might want to jump back into the 1st and would be willing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this trade for a few reasons..

 

1 - Wentz should come in with a chip on his shoulder.. play better under Reich..


2 - Trade happened early enough that Wentz can get in and start developing chemistry with WRs, playbook

 

3 - Means there is no chance Colts draft Mac Jones in the first round. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It was

 

1) what other teams in the last 5-10 years hired a HC from the O side of the ball without prior HC experience or even play calling OC experience.

2) other than the "well respected young" narrative, what specifically has Sirianni done in all his stops to warrant a HC position given #1 above. In other words, in his time as WR or QB coach, or even OC, what specifically can you point to purely say Sirianni was an obvious candidate statistically. 

 

You can PM me if you don't want to litter this thread. Not trying to be argumentative, just really interested if you've considered #1, and what your thoughts/reasoning are on #2.

 

1) Not sure about #1. I'm pretty sure Zac Taylor didn't have any NFL play calling experience, but he might have called plays for Cincinnati. Doug Pederson had half a season with KC. No one really comes to mind, except Jim Caldwell, but that's more than 5-10 years ago. 

 

2) I don't think I suggested Sirianni was an obvious head coaching candidate. Just that he fit the trend.

 

I'm not, and never have, endorsed the Eagles' hiring of Sirianni. But I didn't believe that they hired him to assuage or fix Wentz, and I didn't think that their actions before or after hiring Sirianni indicated that they were trying to find a guy who was going to make it easier to navigate the Wentz situation. 

 

Sirianni's presser wasn't impressive, but he definitely didn't say anything that sounded like 'I'm here to work with Wentz.' He didn't anything that was remotely committal to Wentz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are several OTs that will likely go in the 2nd that will be more than fine, if not very good. It's a talent rich draft at a lot of positions, and outside of those positions, there are the typical "reach" positions like DE, DT, and QB, that IMO will allow several OTs to drop or simply be available mid to late 2nd, if not early 3rd. 

 

Let's be honest too, AC was not playing at a high level last year overall. He was graded out at low 70s, down from 80s. Even the 70s IMO was in part because he had Q to his right. My point is, having Q there will make a lot of guys look better than they are like AC, and will cushion things for a new OT that perhaps needs a little time to adjust. 

Just heard something interesting on Pat McAfee show, the Eagles QB coach has known Jalen Hurts since he was like 4 years old. I’m thinking they will be sticking with Hurts and grabbing a WR at 6, since they grabbed a coach that has a long history with Hurts

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The reason it’s nice to have Nelson as a chess piece is we can do anything we want at 21. 

either

 

1) Quenton Nelson is the Chuck Norris of the NFL or

 

2) Chuck Norris is the Quenton Nelson of Hollywood

 

 

 

pick-a-side.jpg

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I love this trade for a few reasons..

 

1 - Wentz should come in with a chip on his shoulder.. play better under Reich..


2 - Trade happened early enough that Wentz can get in and start developing chemistry with WRs, playbook

 

3 - Means there is no chance Colts draft Mac Jones in the first round. 

 

 

schitts creek please GIF by CBC

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Now what happens when Fields falls to 21 :mindblow:

unlikely, but I could see Jones falling to #21....and Pittsburgh, and especially New Orleans, being interested in trading up for him

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off I'm pretty happy he's coming to Indy and we get to see someone who hopefully can shine for the next decade. And I'm super happy we still have our 1st and 2nd round picks this year to really upgrade this roster. As far as the picks given up in this trade, it was going to happen regardless of what QB you wanted (either Vet or going up in the draft and getting "your" QB). And plus we've seen Ballard hit in all rounds of the draft (front, middle, back end of the draft). And he will most likely recoup these picks he just gave away. Either trading back or what I keep beating the drum about which is Compensatory picks in future years because he can't keep everyone he drafts. I think the only thing that stings and it's more of a selfish thing is just the pure excitement on draft night of the 1st round pick and the anticipation of who is it going to be. But us who love football, get that with every pick in the draft that the Colts make so everything will be alright.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I think he needs those big guys like he had in Philly. The big athletic tight ends like Goedert and Ertz. Plus the big bodies like Alshon and Torrie. Weve got Pittman and maybe Patmon right now. Need one more upgrade at WR and 1 more at TE me thinks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think he needs those big guys like he had in Philly. The big athletic tight ends like Goedert and Ertz. Plus the big bodies like Alshon and Torrie. Weve got Pittman and maybe Patmon right now. Need one more upgrade at WR and 1 more at TE me thinks.

Don’t forget Togiai

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Win. First off, any QB succeeds in our system. All he needs to do is throw the ball deep 3 times a game (to a guy that is open more times than not when we dial it up) lol. Jacoby was mentally unwilling, Phillip physically couldn’t threaten consistently. He doesn’t even NEED to be 100% his potential, lol we just needed an arm really!
 

W/ that being said I think he DOES get back to full potential in such an easy setting, he doesn’t NEED to be Superman like he had to be in Philly every game.. he can reeeelax. With his job becoming so much easier, he’ll get back to his best... there’s no better place to do that than with us. It’ll slow back down, he won’t be seeing ghosts bc of horrendous blocking. I was all in on Wentz or Winston. Give us the arm! The rest can/will come later.  

 

Great work by Chris per usual imo... still have our first AND second this year! Second next year only becoming a first if he isn’t terrible & injured. We draft great, so not worried about giving up picks, we’ll always get a stud. We get a LT, WR, and edge... SUPER BOWL. I genuinely think we’re coming for Mahomes. Let’s go!
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Just heard something interesting on Pat McAfee show, the Eagles QB coach has known Jalen Hurts since he was like 4 years old. I’m thinking they will be sticking with Hurts and grabbing a WR at 6, since they grabbed a coach that has a long history with Hurts

Just my opinion, but I doubt that will factor much. I struggle to think Sirianni will be all in on building around Hurts. That's just a huge gamble for a first year HC. And in that position, you can't waste a 6th if you have QB questions, and the Eagles have QB questions. The only way I see them not taking a QB is if they bring in a vet in FA, or if Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance are gone by 6th. Perhaps if they go complete rebuild, but that will take years and doubt Sirianni wants long term pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Don’t forget Togiai

Maybe Togiai but i think hes more of a backup plan. We will see. We need those big bodies though. Especially with our run the damn ball philosophy and Carson liking the deep ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Alarming?    When the times comes, you don’t think Pittman is going to get a big contract?   You don’t think Taylor us going to get a big contract?   The answers are right in front of you, and for some odd reason, you’re not seeing it.  
    • The Colts have the cap space to sign Leonard and Smith to long-term deals this year and Nelson fortunately for us we are able to extend his 5th-year rookie contract option and post-pone his big payday a year later.   Leonard is not a true MLB so I doubt he will reset the market value at the linebacker position.  Originally thought Leonard could get a 5 year/$100 million contract with $60 million guaranteed but think it will be closer to 5 years/$82.5 million with $40 million guaranteed.   Smith am guessing closer to a 4 year/$58 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.   Depending on whom we keep/sign at left tackle I think will set the stage of how much cap space we will have left to resign players.  Do we keep an older Fisher or try to go after Viking's O'Neill (RT) and move him back to his LT position he played in college.  Both will cost a lot to retain either way and have some flexibility with O'Neill and Smith combination.   Do think Glowinski will be a cap causality since he is already on the books for $7.5 million for 2021 and expect him to make over $8 million in 2022.   The only other pending FA of note after this season to play RG Brandon Scherff but expect him to be too high priced out of the Colt range (4yr/$66 million).  So looks like OL Chris Reed might be a future option or another current OL on the roster might be able to take over.    As for the draft will have to keep in mind RG Baer Hunter from Appalachian State.  Hunter's team's OL ranked as a top-15 unit nationally that was very good at running the football.  Biggest issue have seen about Hunter from his game tapes is his a  drive killer with potential penalties with unnecessary holding and block in the backs once the play has extended past the second level.  The young man I do like best at this point in time is RG Cain Madden from Marshall.  Madden's run-blocking abilities improved form 60.3 to 74.2 from 2019/2020 and he finished top 10 among RGs.   Wouldn't be surprised next off-season if we cut IDL Grover Stewart – save 8.125m or 9.378m June 1 Cut and TE Jack Doyle – save 5.45m.  Some of the other FA's doubt we resign are Stallworth, Rochell, Muhammad, Carrie, Mack, Eldrenkamp, Dulin and Campbell.   After we resign Leonard and Smith to big contract extensions can see the Colts resign, MAC, Pascal, Lewis, Turray,Holden, Hunt and Reed.  Hines should also get resigned and looking at something similar to Austin Eckler contract APY $4.55 million 3 year/$13.645 million (base 3.9 million, 4.5 million, 5.65 million with 1.35 million roster bonus each year).  One FA name I like to replace Stewart with a younger improved version is Bear's IDL Bilal Nichols at best am comparing him to IDL Dalvin Tomlinson where I would offer him a 3 year/$33 million $11 million APY with $20 million signing bonus.  Again we get back either $8.125 million or $9.378 million depending on when we release Stewart under this scenario which after these movements only leaves the Colts with a projected $7-8 million in cap space currently.   Will have to do more research and play around with the futures but can envision the Colts will need to find starting WR, RG, RCB with backups at RDT, RDE, RB, FS, SS,  and TE.   Early watch list RD 1 Draft picks 2022 TE Jalen Wydermyer, Texas A&M George Pickens, WR, Georgia Drake Jackson, Edge, USC Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati Derek Stingley JR, CB, LSU Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida   RD 2 picks Myjai Sanders, EDGE, Cincinnati Kolby Harvell-Peel, S, Oklahoma State Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson John Metchie III, WR, Alabama Aidan Hutchinson, IDL, Michigan          
    • If what Ballard says about a Achilles is what happens with Fisher that means he could be ready by TC. Mack looks like he might be close to 100% and he is at the 8th mark. I think they will be extra careful with Dayo. But Fisher is a vet so if he is ready he will go.  Very possible Fisher is ready week one.
    • Those shoulder pads make him look huge. Lol
    • I don't know why you think you're revealing something that's embarrassing to Ballard?    You're not.   Ballard says the same thing at the start of every free agency period.   That other teams may value his players more than he does.   That's he's ok if he loses a player to another team.   He just wants a chance to match or exceed the offer.   Hilton was offered 3-years from Baltimore.   The Colts signed him to a 1-year deal.    That's a win for Ballard and the Colts.   Hilton got more than we would have liked,  but only on a 1-year deal.    So, that's a win for TYH.    A win-win situation.   There's nothing bad reflected on Ballard.   Yet you think you're offering some insight that the rest of us somehow don't understand.    That's not the case.   The rest of this community understands a win-win situation.    You want to see a loss, a negative for Ballard.   It's reflected in most of your posts,    It's reflected in many of your posts, including one in the last few days which talked about not a good enough record,  and not enough playoff wins.   Your views are widely known.  
  • Members

    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 22,687

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,842

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheEdgeis1

      TheEdgeis1 8

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dw49

      dw49 747

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Stephen

      Stephen 1,928

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BillHill

      BillHill 6

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ztboiler

      ztboiler 314

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bravo4460

      bravo4460 569

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 3,090

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Bluesmith

      Bluesmith 74

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...