Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I remember it being discussed, but I totally forgot anything about it actually happening. 

The new CBA allows it, and with the salary cap situation after the COVID season there’s no way they don’t hammer out the final details to add an extra game now, just to keep the salary cap from dropping. 

I believe the league said it wouldn’t drop below 180 million in the last day, and I’ve got a feeling that 17 is a big part of that.

18 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

they may resign jb and let them battle it out

Yeah they might.  I dont know if this is worth anything but the twitter rumor mill said we are going to get Wentz and not bring back Jacoby.

I guess these guys talk to agents or something but who knows

Here’s the thing.  Wentz is not perfect and he does have some risk.  If he didn’t he wouldn’t have been available.  He came much cheaper than it will cost to go up in the draft to get a QB and still leaves you with your first round draft pick to address another major hole on the roster.  

However, when you look at what was out there and the fact your head coach is the guy that is largely credited with the great season Wentz had it makes sense to try this.  If it fails yes it will sting some but not nearly as much as it would have to traded to your first this year and other picks to go higher in the draft to get a young QB and have him be a bust and still needing to figure out how you will address LT, end, TE, and CB.  

This is a good move and as franchise QBs goes it’s low risk high reward.  You weren’t going to get a true franchise QB cheaper than this without a really bad season.  It doesn’t mean it’s no risk.  We shall see what happens.  

Eagles qbs (who are all more mobile than Phillip Rivers) were sacked 65 times last season. Worst in the league

Old man Rivers (and Jb) 21 times.   Second in the league. 

Say what you want.   Our o line, running game and Frank at the helm, I see big things for Big Red this year.    

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Just imagine Reich and Ballard making sure to play him less than 70% of our snaps and we still make the playoffs just to troll Roseman. 

Of course that would put Roseman in more physical danger than he’s ever been in... haha

You could argue that’s a case to re-sign Jacoby and expand his short yardage package...

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

heres a question, if you're ballard, do you trade back in round 1 this year for a round 1 next year?

I think you’d have to trade back to the bottom of the 2nd round or even the top of the third in order to get next years first from a team. 

Roughly 10 years ago, New England traded down from the bottom of the first about 25 spots.  And they got a 2, 3,  and a 4 in that years draft.   But no future picks.  

Trading down in the first and getting a future first typically requires trading down from roughly a top-10-ish spot toward the bottom of the first...  roughly 15-25 spots...   the point values are key....  And we’re starting at pick 21, so our pick doesn’t have enough value to get a future first in most cases. 

Coaching and the talent on your team.

Football is the sport where those two things can drastically change a player’s trajectory.

Wentz gets to play behind a great offensive line, for a coach who is going to put him in spots to be successful. 
If he stayed in Philly, he might have had another terrible year, behind a porous line. Now that he’s in Indy, he’s going to be a playoff QB.

So, when are y'all going to admit that Vin Fosh was right.....:peek:

He also wasn't too far off on the compensation.  I believe he was the first to state, about 10 days ago in the heat of the moments, that the Colts were shorting Philly what Philly wanted, by offering only two second rounders.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

He also wasn't too far off on the compensation.  I believe he was the first to state, about 10 days ago in the heat of the moments, that the Colts were shorting Philly what Philly wanted, by offering only two second rounders.

Who?

11 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I'll have to Google that, but :lol:

It's true.   Super hot

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Which time?   He said the Broncos and eagles were close to a deal 4 days ago

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's true.   Super hot

Which time?   He said the Broncos and eagles were close to a deal 4 days ago

Yeah, he does seem to throw a lot of darts when there was just a lot of talking.

But this morning, he was the first to actually commit to saying that the Philly/Colts deal was a done deal before anybody else broke it.  I'd have to give him credit for that one.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

vin fosh is money .......  

A few adult beverages in me to help digest an overall great afternoon for the Colts. Here are a couple takes:

1. Wentz will return to MVP-caliber form: It's easy to see why Stafford and Wentz reportedly wanted to come to Indy. The Colts offer an elite offensive line, a budding star at running back and some decent weapons at WR that may be upgraded before the offseason is over. All of those things make a QB's life in the NFL a lot easier and Wentz should thrive in this environment.

2. Reich/Wentz be another successful QB-HC marriageIt's no secret that Reich has had success with QBs. Luck had a terrific comeback season in 2018 and rejuvenated Rivers in his final NFL season. We also can't ignore the history between the two in Philly and it's widely known that Wentz's best season came under Reich in 2017. I foresee Wentz and Reich getting along very well. I think it's also worth noting that both Wentz and Reich have are strong in their Christian faith and their connection through that should strengthen their relationship as well.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, he does seem to throw a lot of darts when there was just a lot of talking.

But this morning, he was the first to actually commit to saying that the Philly/Colts deal was a done deal before anybody else broke it.  I'd have to give him credit for that one.

He is wrong far more than he is right.    But whatever.    

12 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

vin fosh is money .......  

No he is not.   

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is wrong far more than he is right.    But whatever.    

No he is not.   

This is the annoying part about these online-journo types in today's social media world. They just make up stuff or go "all-in" on certain stories when they have no sources whatsoever. If they are right, people think they are some sort of insider. If they are wrong, they say their "source" was wrong and no one holds them accountable.

Archived