Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich said Brissett could still get snaps

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Nyvart said:

He is not mobile

He is more mobile than you think he is. 

You're remembering the JB who played with a huge knee brace after the Pittsburgh game which seriously limited his mobility.   A healthy JB has some mobility.   He’s not Lamar Jackson, but the kid can move around. 

14 hours ago, Nyvart said:

He is not mobile

He ran a 4.94 second 40.  Very few LBs in the NFL are slower than that (heck, a lot of DL are faster than that - Turay ran a 4.65, Justin Houston is listed as a 4.62,  Banogu is 4.62.... etc.).  

So no, he's not mobile.  He is difficult to take down, though, and as a couple other posters have said he did very well last year on QB sneaks in short yard situations.  

14 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sounds like a better role for Kelly.
  Keep saying nice things about JB though.

Kelly's not exactly a burner with a 4.74 forty.  He's also quite a bit smaller than Jacoby.  Other than instances where the score indicates the game is over, the only packages I can really see Jacoby being better than Rivers are in QB sneak situations.  I don't see Kelly, due to his size, excelling there.

13 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but JB isn’t a fast guy, a notch above manning speed maybe. I think this is all a poorly maintained smoke screen hoping someone bites and calls for a trade at some point. I can’t see JB being on this roster to start our season unless something happens to Rivers or he flat out looks god awful when preseason gets played. JB isn’t a future in Indy 

Peyton was actually faster (4.8 forty) than Jacoby (4.94).  

I think we'll keep Jacoby through this season, unless we get a steal from a team like NE and can trade him for a decent draft pick.  

After Manning missed that year and we went 2-14, Irsay made it very clear that he doesn't want that to happen ever again and publicly stated that the Colts would always have a solid backup from there on out.  I think Ballard sees that, as well.  Reich, being a backup most of his career, also sees that (and Reich won some very big games in Buffalo when Jim Kelly was hurt).  Reich states in the interview that he wants a backup that can come in and win 2-3 games if needed.  Jacoby can do that (maybe Kelly can, too, but nobody's seen him in a live regular season game to have any idea there).  

45 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

What Depth do we have at WR? Am I missing something here . confused katt williams GIF

I actually think we have solid depth in terms of we'll have guys who will be very good 4th/5th WRs.  TY's a solid 1-2 guy.  Parris Campbell is unproven (I think he can be a solid slot guy, but I'll have to see him get through a season where he's healthy to believe it).  

IMO, we desperately need to get a 1A to TY before the season.  I also think we need (or could sorely use) a solid TE who can stretch the field.  

When Reich says he's happy with the depth at WR, I don't think he's going to say the alternative "Our WRs are garbage."  I think guys like Fountain, Pascal, Dulin (maybe Ishmael, Adams, C. Williams) will be fine as 4th or 5th WRs.  I just don't think the FO should be trusting them to be solid #2 or 3 WRs.  Reich does say, right after he says he likes our WR depth, that they're 'looking very hard' at WRs (coupled with Ballard mentioning multiple times that this draft is loaded at WR), I suspect we'll draft at least 1 WR with one of our top 3 picks.

People think we don't have depth at wr, but they don't consider the fact it was our qb who made them look bad last year. Overall our receivers were more solid last year than in 2018 when our qb threw for well over 4000 yards. Hence, in March of 2020 we brought in a significant upgrade at qb. 

44 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

People think we don't have depth at wr, but they don't consider the fact it was our qb who made them look bad last year. Overall our receivers were more solid last year than in 2018 when our qb threw for well over 4000 yards. Hence, in March of 2020 we brought in a significant upgrade at qb. 

:scratch:

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

peyton tied mahomes 40 yard dash.  hard to believe but its what the numbers say.  mahomes was not injured either he had a good combine other wise 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He is more mobile than you think he is. 

You're remembering the JB who played with a huge knee brace after the Pittsburgh game which seriously limited his mobility.   A healthy JB has some mobility.   He’s not Lamar Jackson, but the kid can move around. 

He's a plow horse!

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He did a zoom interview. I don’t think he will even be on the team if we draft a QB.

Probably will let JB go out for the end of game kneel downs, JB has more mobile knees, it's harder for a near 40 year old to kneel down and get back up.

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He ran a 4.94 second 40.  Very few LBs in the NFL are slower than that (heck, a lot of DL are faster than that - Turay ran a 4.65, Justin Houston is listed as a 4.62,  Banogu is 4.62.... etc.).  

So no, he's not mobile.  He is difficult to take down, though, and as a couple other posters have said he did very well last year on QB sneaks in short yard situations.  

Kelly's not exactly a burner with a 4.74 forty.  He's also quite a bit smaller than Jacoby.  Other than instances where the score indicates the game is over, the only packages I can really see Jacoby being better than Rivers are in QB sneak situations.  I don't see Kelly, due to his size, excelling there.

I think we'll keep Jacoby through this season, unless we get a steal from a team like NE and can trade him for a decent draft pick.  

After Manning missed that year and we went 2-14, Irsay made it very clear that he doesn't want that to happen ever again and publicly stated that the Colts would always have a solid backup from there on out.  I think Ballard sees that, as well.  Reich, being a backup most of his career, also sees that (and Reich won some very big games in Buffalo when Jim Kelly was hurt).  Reich states in the interview that he wants a backup that can come in and win 2-3 games if needed.  Jacoby can do that (maybe Kelly can, too, but nobody's seen him in a live regular season game to have any idea there).  

I actually think we have solid depth in terms of we'll have guys who will be very good 4th/5th WRs.  TY's a solid 1-2 guy.  Parris Campbell is unproven (I think he can be a solid slot guy, but I'll have to see him get through a season where he's healthy to believe it).  

IMO, we desperately need to get a 1A to TY before the season.  I also think we need (or could sorely use) a solid TE who can stretch the field.  

When Reich says he's happy with the depth at WR, I don't think he's going to say the alternative "Our WRs are garbage."  I think guys like Fountain, Pascal, Dulin (maybe Ishmael, Adams, C. Williams) will be fine as 4th or 5th WRs.  I just don't think the FO should be trusting them to be solid #2 or 3 WRs.  Reich does say, right after he says he likes our WR depth, that they're 'looking very hard' at WRs (coupled with Ballard mentioning multiple times that this draft is loaded at WR), I suspect we'll draft at least 1 WR with one of our top 3 picks.

To the bolded.  YEP.  No matter how clearly they say it. Many people on here will never actually hear it.  

10 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

What Depth do we have at WR? Am I missing something here . confused katt williams GIF

We have plenty of depth, what we lack is quality at the top.  The problem with our system is that no one's stepping up to be a reliable WR2 or WR3, not that we lack warm bodies. Pascal showed flashes but not enough of them, at this point in his career he's a solid reserve WR.  The best we have other than TY at the moment though, so he gets overexposed.

Heck if we needed to we could line Hines up as a wideout if it came to that, and Pascal and Johnson both came into their own as quality depth pieces, but we need that second horse besides TY, or he'll just get hurt again and leave us in the same position with a bottom heavy WR unit.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was thinking about this. Jacoby was very good on QB sneaks and 4th and 1. Stuff like that I could see.

It would kinda telegraph the play.. however Rivers is rumoured to refuse to run a QB sneak.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

peyton tied mahomes 40 yard dash.  hard to believe but its what the numbers say.  mahomes was not injured either he had a good combine other wise 

3 cone over 40 yard... he did pretty well in that. 

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Big difference between pocket mobility and making plays outside the pocket. JB has pocket mobility...and can evade sacks...but after that...he's pretty slow.

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I could see that, as Peyton has 4 inches on Mahommes and wasn't terribly slow when running in a straight line.  Peyton was kind of like the tin-man though when it came to agility/mobility.  Mahommes excels in both those areas.

Check Manning out on his longest career run -- once he got to running straight, he doesn't look that slow:  

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It would kinda telegraph the play.. however Rivers is rumoured to refuse to run a QB sneak.

3 cone over 40 yard... he did pretty well in that. 

Even if telegraphed, with a healthy Kelly and Big Q, a guy with Brissett's size and lower body strength should still be able to pick up 1/2 a yard most of the time.  And yes, Brissett's 3 cone was better than his 40, but at 7.17 it's still not very special.  The solid guys here are all sub 7 seconds.  Brissett does have a very strong lower body, though, which does allow him to avoid being taken down and should allow him to push a pile a bit.

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Even if telegraphed, with a healthy Kelly and Big Q, a guy with Brissett's size and lower body strength should still be able to pick up 1/2 a yard most of the time.  And yes, Brissett's 3 cone was better than his 40, but at 7.17 it's still not very special.  The solid guys here are all sub 7 seconds.  Brissett does have a very strong lower body, though, which does allow him to avoid being taken down and should allow him to push a pile a bit.

I meant Mahomes' 3 cone not Biressett. I think 40's get overrated, and the ability to suddenly change direction and accelerate is much more valuable. 

If you're just going off a big body, put a FB in and direct snap it.

54 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I meant Mahomes' 3 cone not Biressett. I think 40's get overrated, and the ability to suddenly change direction and accelerate is much more valuable. 

If you're just going off a big body, put a FB in and direct snap it.

Or Q

I hope the reason Reich is considering this isn't to appease Brissett.   The team does not "owe" Brissett anything.   He's really not a wildcat type of QB.  He doesn't offer much of a threat when he comes in.   I do think he could rush for a few yards, but with our O-line, we have RB's who can take care of that.  

12 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Reich better rethink that, and give the extra snaps to Kelly.

Nobody talks about it but Kelly may be valuable to us on the practice squad. It’s his job to emulate the opposing QB and the better he is at that, the more prepared our defense is for the game.  

On 4/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, SteelCityColt said:

3 cone is probably more important, but slow qbs never get many rushing yards

might as well find a qb thats actually mobile if they want one for that reason.  did jb have a good 3 cone?

The idea of any type of package for Brissett is laughable. He doesn’t have any of the skills that players who have packages built in for them do (speed, elusiveness, quickness, ability to catch, etc...)

Sounds like Reich saving face since they will likely have a guy due $12.5 million just holding a clip board. To this day, the one Ballard move that deserves the most criticism was how awful the Brissett contract is/was.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The idea of any type of package for Brissett is laughable. He doesn’t have any of the skills that players who have packages built in for them do (speed, elusiveness, quickness, ability to catch, etc...)

Sounds like Reich saving face since they will likely have a guy due $12.5 million just holding a clip board. To this day, the one Ballard move that deserves the most criticism was how awful the Brissett contract is/was.

110% agree. Handing that contract out was a huge mistake. Make him earn it like, Ballard preaches. 

On 3/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, Nyvart said:

He is not mobile

He is more mobile than Rivers and harder to bring down.  Having Jacoby play 5 to 6 snaps per game situationally  and as the primary back up is not a bad thing.  He is probably a top 5 back up QB in the league.  

On 3/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, Chloe6124 said:

He did a zoom interview. I don’t think he will even be on the team if we draft a QB.

If we draft another QB then you better worry about Chad Kelly not Jacoby.  Unless traded & barring injury...Jacoby is a lock to be the #2 behind Rivers.  Rightfully so as he will be the second best one on the roster next season regardless of whoever the Colts draft this season. 

8 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

He can't scramble, he can't throw(unless 5 yds). Move on.

Yeah he fought off Von Miller in the end zone, scrambled and threw a 40 yard perfect strike to TY Hilton. We won that game too, that is nominee for play of the year by the way. JB doesn't suck, he is an average NFL starter (not good or a franchise QB I admit) and a great backup. People that say he is bad just don't understand football. The end.

Archived