Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich said Brissett could still get snaps

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Will be interesting to see if he even is still on the team if we draft a QB. Maybe this is a smokescreen although Reich doesn’t seem to play like that.

That would be pretty cruel to JB if so. Actually putting his name out there.so I don’t think it’s smoke.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He did a zoom interview. I don’t think he will even be on the team if we draft a QB.

Correct me if I’m wrong but JB isn’t a fast guy, a notch above manning speed maybe. I think this is all a poorly maintained smoke screen hoping someone bites and calls for a trade at some point. I can’t see JB being on this roster to start our season unless something happens to Rivers or he flat out looks god awful when preseason gets played. JB isn’t a future in Indy 

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

What mobility?  

This is the most confusing off-season ever. 

It is true Jacobys biggest strength is playing Houdini. I don’t see though his skill set doing much for this team like a Hill does for the Saints.

Reichs interview is up on iTunes. It won’t let me paste the link.

I don't mind JB staying on the team given the money he's already guaranteed. I'd prefer a trade, but that's highly unlikely now. I don't think we'll see him take snaps at moments we need to score. I can see him taking snaps when we're up and going into RTDB gear or keep away. Even if we're up and it's just to keep Rivers fresh, I'm good with that.

6 minutes ago, KB said:

He is going to throw rivers the ball like he did Luck a couple years ago lol.

He almost killed Luck with that throw. How do you overthrow a stationary receiver with noone close to him on the line of scrimmage? And especially when the receiver is the franchise QB? Or... maybe I answered my own question... :dunno:

2 hours ago, Nyvart said:

He is not mobile

Consider the alternative.  he's mobile compared to a crumbling statue like Rivers.

I could see Brissett getting into the game in plays in which scrambling is an option, especially if it gets the defense to overcommit to the run.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sounds like a better role for Kelly.

kelly represents potential that has yet to screw up publicly on the field.

Emphasis on "yet." 

t's easy to assume someone will pass that test when they've never had the chance to pass or fail.  Doesn't always come out that way.  Put him on an NFL field we have no idea if that potential will actually turn into execution.

Brissett could at least execute at an acceptable level when he wasn't hurt, and even engineered a few comeback wins.  For all his flaws he had the team competing for the playoffs before he got hurt and lost the ability to really step into his throws.

His core numbers arent great but he did have a certain poise and ability to improvise and I can see why Reich values him.

Bottom line, Brissett proved not to be the answer after his injury, but I can understand why Reich is still high on him, and people are going too far out of their way to blame Brissett for everything that happened after the halfway point even though Brissett was hardly the only factor letting the team down (basically the entire offense other than the OL and RB took a step backward and our secondary developed cracks)

50 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

kelly represents potential that has yet to screw up publicly on the field.

Emphasis on "yet." 

t's easy to assume someone will pass that test when they've never had the chance to pass or fail.  Doesn't always come out that way.  Put him on an NFL field we have no idea if that potential will actually turn into execution.

Brissett could at least execute at an acceptable level when he wasn't hurt, and even engineered a few comeback wins.  For all his flaws he had the team competing for the playoffs before he got hurt and lost the ability to really step into his throws.

His core numbers arent great but he did have a certain poise and ability to improvise and I can see why Reich values him.

Bottom line, Brissett proved not to be the answer after his injury, but I can understand why Reich is still high on him, and people are going too far out of their way to blame Brissett for everything that happened after the halfway point even though Brissett was hardly the only factor letting the team down (basically the entire offense other than the OL and RB took a step backward and our secondary developed cracks)

You are assuming his failure to continue his level of play in the first half, there is the other concern of him, the league had tape and time to address and attack all his weak spots. So was his play bad solely due to that injury? Only CB and Reich know that for sure as I’m sure they know what % he was injured. I personally think the league got him figured out more so than his injury caused his second half slide. Having no receivers to throw to also was a factor but I’d guess that Rivers will be more capable of making avg receivers look better because he has accuracy and quick release. JB does neither of those. The league figures that out too. The thing that JB was good at, toughness inside the pocket, just enough wiggle to get out and the ability to get that one yard at 4&1 when needed using the QB sneak. He is also likable by his teammates. If only he didn’t make 21.5 million this season, he would be a great guy to have on the bench and in the locker room. 

I will obviously defer to the GM and coaches....... but.......

can we not get into gimmicky or wildcat “tricks”?

I dont dislike JB, heck, I think he still has potential starter ability if he cleans up a few things.

But, we have a solid team i think.  We should have a good D, and a solid O-line.  Can we just line up and run well designed plays that we practice over and over?......please?

Reich has gotten a lil “too creative” at times for my liking.

My opinion?  Let our strengths on both sides in the trenches control the game for us.

If Rivers plays “adequately”, the only snaps i want JB getting are in practice so he’s ready in case #1 goes down.  Switching QBs for a few snaps never pans out.  It ruins timing, flow, mojo, etc.  I’m not a fan.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Consider the alternative.  he's mobile compared to a crumbling statue like Rivers.

I could see Brissett getting into the game in plays in which scrambling is an option, especially if it gets the defense to overcommit to the run.

JB was pretty reliable on 4th and 6”.  Colts haven’t had that in decades. I wouldn’t want Rivers to do it and get hurt.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sounds like a better role for Kelly.
  Keep saying nice things about JB though.

It is up to Kelly himself to take the reins. If he can show himself in training camp or pre season he will be on the practice squad or if we do draft a QB, he won't even be with the Colts. 

Personally I don't think Ballard is ready to throw the towel on Brissett just yet. 

Mike WellsESPN Staff Writer 

Colts coach Frank Reich on telling Jacoby Brissett they were bringing in Philip Rivers to be their starting QB:

"I called Jacoby. ... Honestly, he wasn't happy about it. But he's a great teammate and a great leader, and I'm sure he'll be good."

Archived