Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strong Likelihood Colts Will Keep Brissett

krunk

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If they keep JB,  they aren't planning on drafting a qb early

We will find out in a month. This could just be a smokescreen. Or maybe they keep three QB on the roster so a rookie doesn’t get thrown in. We don’t need the money so there is no urgency to do it until we see how the draft unfolds. It’s a smart move for now.

Goodness!  I posted about this on two different threads.  I'm not surprised at all.  Brissett is too expensive to trade, and too expensive to cut.  We have two QB's on the roster, which precludes us from drafting a third.  If we're going to discuss drafting a QB, we may as well start looking at the ones coming out in 2021.

I think it's similar to when Luck was here. If they get an offer they can't refuse, they'll take it. If not, they have a quality back up for 2020. Rivers has stayed healthy for a long time, but the older he gets the more chance he has of getting injured. And quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if he is done and stinks up Lucas Oil this year.

Plus, Ballard has always said they would only get rid of JB if it makes sense for the team and good for JB. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im watching Chad Kelly a bit more.  They may have more confidence in his development enough to not rush things.  I'm assuming that if we don't draft anybody.  Not totally sure, but the moves they are making have me feeling like they may be comfortable with their QB situation this year.

I think you're right Krunk. I was pretty sure they'd release or trade JB because of the potential locker room problems it might create with him demoted to the backup. Obviously, if they keep JB, the Colts' brass have done their due diligence and aren't worried about that. 

So if you're right, they aren't likely to take a QB in the draft, opening up their Day 2 picks to go after WR, O-line, and TE, where there is a serious need for depth and potential starters.

It does the Colts no good to cut him right now because his bonus is guaranteed.  I don't understand why people don't comprehend this point.  You may be able to trade him for a late round pick if they want to deal him.  The can cut him later if they need the cap space or there's a replacement.  It doesn't hurt to hold onto him while the QB market finishes settling.  

I don't care who the QB is they aren't winning if his options are Doyle and Pascal.  That's basically what JB had left to throw to at the end of last year.  Funchess went down game 1.  Ebron was dropping everything thrown his way until he tapped out.  Once T.Y. went down the offense shut down even when he was gimping around on a bad leg trying to play.  Campbell was hurt basically the entire season.  Even lousy Chester Rogers got hurt as well as Mack. Cain was so good they released him.   This team finished 7-9 with AV costing them the SD and Pittsburgh games.  He most likely cost them Miami.  The Colts beat Pitt and Miami if JB doesn't get hurt.

The season turned when Campbell couldn't run into the end zone in Pittsburgh without tripping over his own feet.  A few plays later Brissett is hurt and things snowballed from there.  JB has flaws, but he's getting a bad rap.  Andrew Luck won zero games without TY.  Zero.  I hope Old Man Rivers fines the fountain of youth, but you all might be happy they still have JB when Glowinski gets Rivers killed.  The right side of that o-line is average at best and it has been hidden by Luck and even JB extending plays.  Rivers is a statue.

T.Y.  has been breaking down.  I don't care how many total games he's missed.  He's played injured more and more.  They Colts need to draft a stud WR in the 2nd round.  A solid #2 who can develop into a #1 if needed.  No more guys like Funchess. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

I think Brissett would serve as an excellent backup.  I don’t care about his salary, for it’s not coming out of my wallet.  Ergo, bottom line, Colts are currently a stronger, deeper team with Brissett as Rivers’ backup, than without him.  

Go Colts!

This might be another sign we are going all in this year and having Brissett as the backup QB assures the QB position is solidified.  We have created 11M more in cap space so far today.  I think they are going hard after Clowney as has been reported.  If we do get sign him we will have one of the top DL to go along with our top OL.  I'm starting to think Ballard just might get him.  

14 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I don't care who the QB is they aren't winning if his options are Doyle and Pascal.  That's basically what JB had left to throw to at the end of last year.  Funchess went down game 1.  Ebron was dropping everything thrown his way until he tapped out.  Once T.Y. went down the offense shut down even when he was gimping around on a bad leg trying to play.  Campbell was hurt basically the entire season.  Even lousy Chester Rogers got hurt as well as Mack. Cain was so good they released him.   This team finished 7-9 with AV costing them the SD and Pittsburgh games.  He most likely cost them Miami.  The Colts beat Pitt and Miami if JB doesn't get hurt.

This paragraph is an excellent summary.

I also agree about Glow. .... and Hilton.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This might be another sign we are going all in this year and having Brissett as the backup QB assures the QB position is solidified.  We have created 11M more in cap space so far today.  I think they are going hard after Clowney as has been reported.  If we do get sign him we will have one of the top DL to go along with our top OL.  I'm starting to think Ballard just might get him.  

Dream scenario getting Clowney. Our DL would be formidable. With keeping Brissett however, the $’s wouldn’t quite make sense. Would leave us with little cap space. And we’d certainly be overpaying the QB position for what we have to be honest. 50 million for Rivers and Brissett.

Fine with it on some levels. Like if this was Madden and I was king he was gone long ago, but I can see why the brass doesn't want to jump ship yet. It's a stable move having a backup that's in the system and it keeps Ballard from having to scratch a lotto ticket on a QB in the draft. 

I suspect it's also a team dynamic, locker room credibly thing, just a guess on that.

2 hours ago, egg said:

If you have a good team, and the Colts do, back up QB is a very important position.

I would love to see Brissett be the "permanent" back up for years to come, like Frank Reich was in Buffalo.

Exactly.  Honestly that's the role he's always played here.  he only "started" last year because Luck retired just before the start of the regulat season.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not really shocked by this.  I don’t think the Colts believe in Kelly and I am starting to think Ballard doesn’t like any of the QBs in this class that he could have gotten.

I’m actually thinking CB isn’t very good at assessing QB’s idk. Missed with paying big on Brissett when he didn’t have to. Way overpaid on Hoyer and now we get to see what Rivers has left in the tank. If he keeps JB, he has a cap hit of 50 million in the QB room this year? Damn!!

54 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It does the Colts no good to cut him right now because his bonus is guaranteed.  I don't understand why people don't comprehend this point.  You may be able to trade him for a late round pick if they want to deal him.  The can cut him later if they need the cap space or there's a replacement.  It doesn't hurt to hold onto him while the QB market finishes settling.  

The season turned when Campbell couldn't run into the end zone in Pittsburgh without tripping over his own feet.  A few plays later Brissett is hurt and things snowballed from there.  JB has flaws, but he's getting a bad rap.  Andrew Luck won zero games without TY.  Zero.  I hope Old Man Rivers fines the fountain of youth, but you all might be happy they still have JB when Glowinski gets Rivers killed.  The right side of that o-line is average at best and it has been hidden by Luck and even JB extending plays.  Rivers is a statue.

T.Y.  has been breaking down.  I don't care how many total games he's missed.  He's played injured more and more.  They Colts need to draft a stud WR in the 2nd round.  A solid #2 who can develop into a #1 if needed.  No more guys like Funchess. 

I was so happy when Goodell announced the season is NOT starting the first week of April.   Because the way people are crying about our terrible receiving core one would think the rest of free agency and the draft have been called off!   Maybe we are stuck with the same receiving group?

What?   No?   Free agency isn’t over?   The draft hasn’t been called off?   Really?   We might acquire another WR/TE or two?   Or three?  

What a relief!   I guess the sky isn’t falling after all. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Knocked that out of the park. So tired of relaying on TY. Get that dude some help. Hope they don’t think Campbell is enough. This wrs class is too good not to take one at 34. Higgins, reagor, etc. just fix the wr mess and quit trying to patch it.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Congratulations!

You might have the worst post in this thread.   And there was plenty of competition, so your post had to be especially bad!

You made us all so proud!      :thmup:

Yea, truth hurts sometimes buddy,  don't blame me, blame the obvious

A cap hit of at least 50 million in  quarterbacks. Hopefully JB will restructure his contract. This is poor cap management. We could be signing other players at positions of need like WR and offensive line depth

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will find out in a month. This could just be a smokescreen. Or maybe they keep three QB on the roster so a rookie doesn’t get thrown in. We don’t need the money so there is no urgency to do it until we see how the draft unfolds. It’s a smart move for now.

we already have 3 QB's on the roster

12 minutes ago, Nate! said:

That Jacoby deal last year was always terrible.  Wait and see.  Franchise tag if have too.  Just gave away money and flexibility.  Good for JB though.

Contract definitely wasnt great, but what makes it as bad as it is, was guaranteeing this roster bonus last year, instead of actually tomorrow. That was not a good move for sure.

Being able to get out for $5.5m wouldn't be an issue.

If we don't draft a QB this year then that kind of tells me what the plan is because I anticipate we will get into the playoffs this year which means we will be in even worse position next year to get a QB.  We won't be picking at the spot we have this year. It will be much lower.  I'm anxious to see what kind of moves we make come draft time. 

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

JB is one of the prominent leaders in that locker room. You don't just toss him without negative effects.  

Exactly, but my fear is that keeping him could work the other way around: What if JB have a problem with going from starter to backup? If he is not 100% behind Rivers, and it shows, this locker room can down the toilet in no time.

If JB comes out and rally behind Rivers and really mean it, then great. I have no problem with JB being the backup QB, but how often have a loved, dethroned QB worked out?

If JB takes a pay cut as a token of acceptance, it would work out, I think. Then he is free next season and can get his chance there.

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

If we don't draft a QB this year then that kind of tells me what the plan is because I anticipate we will get into the playoffs this year which means we will be in even worse position next year to get a QB.  We won't be picking at the spot we have this year. It will be much lower.  I'm anxious to see what kind of moves we make come draft time. 

If there is a QB that Ballard feels he needs to get, he will even if it means trading draft picks to get it to work. If the roster is talented enough to do that it can be done. IMO this roster is heading in that direction. 

Most all the teams that have great QBs have had to make and give up draft picks to get that done, so will Ballard. 

If we don't plan on using Brissett, we need to unload him. We could use the cap space somewhere else. Give Kelly a chance to back up Rivers. As for a future QB, Jake Fromm will probably still be sitting there at #34 or possibly even #44. Try and get CB Trevon Diggs at #34 and Fromm at #44. Then I'd take WR Chase Claypool at #75. He is 6' 4" 229lbs and had 66rec 1,037yds and 13td's for ND in 2019. We need a big receiver like Claypool that can go up and get the ball. 

Everyone is complaining about the cap hit in the QB room. CB signed QBs for what he needed to pay them.  They obviously believed JB had a chance to develop into a franchise QB and he was already a leader in the locker room.  So they gave him a raise.  The Colts talked about culture and being a team non stop.  Then they show it by taking care of one of the leaders in the locker room. All of the money comes off next year and we still have plenty of cap space. I would be be more upset about Andrew Luck still costing money bc he is a quitter then JB who had a decent season for a second year starter.  

13 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

So leadership is the only quality needed to be a capable QB in this league? Reading your post, it must be because that's all JB has going for him. You use alot of (ifs) in your post. Using injury as an excuse is (nonsense), using receivers as an excuse is (nonsense) and using your excuses for reasons JB is so good is (nonsense). My opinions differs from yours and most posters on this forum because i don't see JB as a capable QB. In fact, i don't see JB as a decent back up QB. He has nothing in ability to give me confidence he can come in and win games nor bring us back from a defeat. Sorry, the man must go and fast. This is a disaster waiting to happen! I know this is not a popular opinion but its the way i see it. People that see him as a good back up makes me SMH. 

16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO Smart Move

Exactly, because how did we get in this situation to begin with? By not having a decent back up. What was Polian's biggest mistake? Not having a decent backup QB. I don't blame him but he realized how big of a concern it was, once PM got hurt.

16 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Great post

Archived