Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strong Likelihood Colts Will Keep Brissett

krunk

https://coltscap.com/clearing-up-cap-questions-for-colts-qbs/

This article explains well why we will likely keep him past tomorrow. Unless we find a trade partner that wants to take on his 7M bonus, it doesn't matter if we cut him or trade him past tomorrow so we will keep him... because it keeps our options open - we can keep him in case Rivers gets injured in camp or something... we can trade him if another team suffers injury to their QB in camp or if they strike out in FA/draft for QB... or we can just cut him before the start of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I wonder if we’d get a better comp pick by letting him hit FA next year instead of trying to trade him right now.

Especially considering the need to re-sign our own next year. Likely not many external FA to negate the loss of someone signing Brissett.

No need to trade or cut him before the draft. Plus it tips our hand in the draft. We draft and he gets cut or traded later.  We could also draft and keep him. We can keep three QB on the roster so we wouldn’t have to throw a rookie out there if Rivers gets hurt. Maybe this leads to Jacoby staying here as a backup long term. More answers after the draft. 

Rivers had nothing but praise for him today in his conference call. Hopefully they can work well together. 

Great News. So now we will have one Guy who will chuck it deep and have the passes intercepted and another guy who never throws interceptions because he can never hit the open guy whether on offense or defense, all while the other guy lights it up during the preseason and against the first string defenses in practice each week, but alas still doesn't get a real shot. Yea, makes sense to me, let's roll out the trashcans... :thmup:

20 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I'm honestly ok if they keep him for now....he's still a very solid back up and someone you can trust to come in in a pinch if needed....Right now he's just now a full time starter material.

If you have a good team, and the Colts do, back up QB is a very important position.

I would love to see Brissett be the "permanent" back up for years to come, like Frank Reich was in Buffalo.

I think Brissett would serve as an excellent backup.  I don’t care about his salary, for it’s not coming out of my wallet.  Ergo, bottom line, Colts are currently a stronger, deeper team with Brissett as Rivers’ backup, than without him.  

Go Colts!

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Great News. So now we will have one Guy who will chuck it deep and have the passes intercepted and another guy who never throws interceptions because he can never hit the open guy whether on offense or defense, all while the other guy lights it up during the preseason and against the first string defenses in practice each week, but alas still doesn't get a real shot. Yea, makes sense to me, let's roll out the trashcans... :thmup:

Congratulations!

You might have the worst post in this thread.   And there was plenty of competition, so your post had to be especially bad!

You made us all so proud!      :thmup:

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts-cut-brian-hoyer-jacoby-brissett-remains-despite-large-cap-hit/

COLTS CUT BRIAN HOYER;  JACOBY BRISSETT REMAINS DESPITE LARGE CAP HIT

...Currently, the Colts are carrying the 5th (Rivers-$25 million) and 14th (Brissett-$21 million) biggest cap hits of any quarterback in the NFL. And the remaining Andrew Luck contract still counts more than $6 million in dead money. Add it all up and it’s $55 million in dead cap at the quarterback position.

Even though many assumed Brissett would be gone once the Colts signed Rivers this week, that was a premature thought, particularly given how this staff still views their 2019 starter.

Now, the Colts selecting a quarterback early in the 2020 Draft might alter things again at quarterback next month.

But, for now, the current quarterbacks on Indy’s roster are as followed: Philip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett and Chad Kelly.

None of those three are under contract past the 2020 season...

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm almost starting to wonder if they are going to draft a QB at all?

It is starting to look like they are going to load up this year and go all in and hope that rivers will give them a 2nd year. It is looking like they are loading up for maybe waiting to draft a QB in 2021. Keeping Jacoby may  also just be a smokescreen. My only concern is that Rivers sucks and we are right back here next year. But if that’s the case we won’t have as many holes so we can go all in  on a QB in 2021. Plus we will need to see where we take a tackle this year.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm almost starting to wonder if they are going to draft a QB at all?

If they keep The Brisket, the odds are that they're waiting for next year's draft for a QB. Let's just hope and pray that JB only sees the field in garbage time, running out the last two minutes on the clock with a nice, fat Colts lead. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is starting to look like they are going to load up this year and go all in and hope that rivers will give them a 2nd year. It is looking like they are loading up for maybe waiting to draft a QB in 2021. Keeping Jacoby may  also just be a smokescreen. My only concern is that Rivers sucks and we are right back here next year. But if that’s the case we won’t have as many holes so we can go all in  on a QB in 2021. Plus we will need to see where we take a tackle this year.

Im watching Chad Kelly a bit more.  They may have more confidence in his development enough to not rush things.  I'm assuming that if we don't draft anybody.  Not totally sure, but the moves they are making have me feeling like they may be comfortable with their QB situation this year.

Fans sometimes forge their collective minds with their hate. CB has said that the locker room is watching. JB is one of the prominent leaders in that locker room. You don't just toss him without negative effects. He will get this next year as a Colt, or a trade opportunity that lands him somewhere good for him.

That is what has been said, and that is likely how it will play out. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im watching Chad Kelly a bit more.  They may have more confidence in his development enough to not rush things.  I'm assuming that if we don't draft anybody.  Not totally sure, but the moves they are making have me feeling like they may be comfortable with their QB situation this year.

Six months ago I would of laughed at this. But with them keeping him on the 53 with all the injuries we had does make me think this could be more of a possibility. 

Not surprised at all. Insurance for Rivers, don't need the cap space this year. They Love JB.  Proabley told JB you want the job go take it from Rivers! Both unsigned for next year and you still have Kelly. Its a smart move for this year, & if Rivers balls out and he likes being a Colt sign him again or JB!

Archived