Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agholor linked to Colts

Indyfan4life

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports impending free agent WR Nelson Agholor has been linked to the Colts this offseason.

It makes sense. Philadelphia isn't expected to retain Agholor and jumping over to the Colts would reunite the 26-year-old free-agent-to-be with Frank Reich and recently hired receivers coach Mike Groh, both who coached Agholor during the Eagles' 2017 Super Bowl run. He underwhelmed with three-year lows in catches (39) and receiving yards (363) over 11 games in 2019 but did previously flourish for career-bests as the team's primary slot wideout under Reich and Groh. The Colts likely view him as a reclamation project capable of pairing from the middle of the field with sophomore Parris Campbell.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Feb 21, 2020, 12:29 PM ET

Uhhhhhmmmmmm.... meh. 

I'd take him as a depth slot. H'd be a nice 4th or 5th WR, or even a 3, if the 1 and 2 are highly productive. 

I thought he went way too early when drafted. Was definitely a reach by Chip Kelly or whoever made the decision. 

That said, If they move PC outside to Z, and TY in to slot, NA would make a nice 3rd in that Z/slot bucket.

1st of all.

I wouldn’t trust a single word that Holder guy says. Indy is very unfortunate to have him as their main ESPN media man.

2nd.

Every single Free agent is going to be linked to the Colts at some point during the off-season, Even QBs now. Lol Colts have most cap space and didn’t make playoffs. Leaves a lot to be optimistic about.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

1st of all.

I wouldn’t trust a single word that Holder guy says. Indy is very unfortunate to have him as their main ESPN media man.

2nd.

Every single Free agent is going to be linked to the Colts at some point during the off-season, Even QBs now. Lol Colts have most cap space and didn’t make playoffs. Leaves a lot to be optimistic about.

My thoughts too, any player that has had previous relationships with our staff will automatically be linked to us by default... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

1st of all.

2nd.

on the 1st.. yup, Holder is awful.

on the 2nd... same thing every year for every team. Holder (and all reporters) will simply put out garbage non-stop to get clicks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

As much or more than CK.

what does kelly have to do with anything?  personally i dont get why hes here, they wont give him a fair chance to start yet they keep him around

they should give him that chance or cut him and bring in another backup that is worth more on the sidelines 

34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

what does kelly have to do with anything?

Seemed obvious to me, but here it is - folks are building shrines to CK when he showed nothing more in TC than Johnson and Fountain have shown. Hence my response to MacDee's question. In other words, it seems odd to build shrines to CK but tear down Johnson and Fountain with practically the same extremely limited NFL data set for each of the 3. :dunno:

36 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

personally i dont get why hes here, they wont give him a fair chance to start yet they keep him around

He's the nephew of a friend. It's a favor. The Colts are an organization that cares and wants to help fix broken things - help the city, help the people, help friends and family. It's a good thing, for the most part. :cheer2:

37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they should give him that chance or cut him and bring in another backup that is worth more on the sidelines 

I tend to agree with you on this, but it's their money and roster spot so I guess they can do what they want with it. :cash:

On 2/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, DougDew said:

He would compete with PC or Pascal for #3 or 4 on the depth chart.  Not good enough to be the #2 guy I want.  I don't see the point of signing him, other than CB/Reich possibly having concerns with PCs ability, which I doubt.

From listening to Reich and Ballard, it sounds like they have a lot of faith in Campbell's talent and ability.  I imagine they have more concerns with all the injuries he had last year.

I wouldn't be overly excited if we signed Agolhor, but the fact that Reich and Groh have connections with him may mean something.  Sure, he had a bad year last year, but maybe Reich/Groh think he was mis-used and believe they could get him in the right scheme (one thing I really like about Reich is he seems to really work to get his players in positions to allow them to thrive rather than be so stubborn in his system that if his players don't fit what he wants he doesn't make adjustments).

I agree with you though, I don't really see the point in signing him  unless Reich really knows something that we don't (which is possible, as in 2017 he put up 62 catches and 8 TDs under Reich's offense in Philly).  From what I can tell is he would likely be no higher than the 4th WR on this team as it currently sits (maybe #5 if we brought Funchess back).  

It seems to me what this team really needs is a true #2 or #1a to help TY out more.  I think Funchess could've been that last year, but got hurt so early on.  I don't really see Agholor as an upgrade to what we already have, so I'd be pretty shocked if we actually signed him. 

46 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The Colts have not had a whole lot of success with ex-Eagles:

Herrimens

Hank Basket

Trent Cole

Agular has a reputation for the dropsies

PASS (please)

What does Basket have anything to do with the Colts' supposed interest with Agholor?

This is becoming the "6 Degrees of Frank Reich" (see Kevin Bacon) because any player who has ever played for, been coach by Reich or any of our current assistants is automatically linked to the Colts.

As others have said, we have th emost cap space, so all free agents will be linked or rumored to us for the next few weeks.