Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What positions need an upgrade for next season? Top 5

ColtJax

1. WR: Hilton is slowing down a bit, Campbell has been injured so far and the rest are back ups at best. We need a REAL play maker, I wouldn't be opposed to AB in Indy if he checks out after his mental help.

2. QB- JB is no better than the starters that are being replaced with the Bengals and Bears (If they move on from that mistake). He's Ryan Tannyhill, good enough to stick but not good enough to win consistently. 

3. DE: Houston really brought some pressure, but we need more. Draft a playmaker or find one in FA, but he's needed.

4: RB: I like who we have, but we need another bigger back. There should be plenty available in FA or later in the draft.

TE: I like Jack Doyal, but he's a #2, good, just not a game changer. Getting another TE that can make plays will really open the game up. Ebron gave up on the team, so we should give up on him..

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

1. WR: Hilton is slowing down a bit, Campbell has been injured so far and the rest are back ups at best. We need a REAL play maker, I wouldn't be opposed to AB in Indy if he checks out after his mental help.

2. QB- JB is no better than the starters that are being replaced with the Bengals and Bears (If they move on from that mistake). He's Ryan Tannyhill, good enough to stick but not good enough to win consistently. 

3. DE: Houston really brought some pressure, but we need more. Draft a playmaker or find one in FA, but he's needed.

4: RB: I like who we have, but we need another bigger back. There should be plenty available in FA or later in the draft.

TE: I like Jack Doyal, but he's a #2, good, just not a game changer. Getting another TE that can make plays will really open the game up. Ebron gave up on the team, so we should give up on him..

WR for sure is number 1.
2: DT. DE i think we're good there, we need a big DT or 2 that can get pressure. This being a deep DL draft, I expect at least 1 early pick up, and at least one with one of our 2nd round pick.

3. This is where I'd place QB. Why? because we are going to simply be too far down the drafting order to get a decent one. and really, outside of Burrow, there's really no decent prospects at QB that would be close to an upgrade over JB.

4. CB. Definitely need some more quality depth there. I like Rock, I think he'll grow into a very good corner, but we seem to suffer majorly when Moore is out. Wilson sucks and should be cut.

I think we're good at RB and TE and LB, obviously along the line, we're pretty solid. 

• Thanks 1

1 - QB, JB needs replacement.

2 - RB - Mack is injury prone, need a durable back suggest we seek one of the top 5 RBs.

3 - DL - Need penetration inside to get the Edge going.  Appears the edge rushers we have will improve once there is an upgrade inside.

4 - WRs - Should get a quality receivers here, the current WRs on the rolls appears to show promise.

5 - Take your pick, TEs, FAs, etc.., whatever is left to improve.

Dominant. DT with 1st round pick that can start day one

Jordan Love (QB) with the Redskins pick at top of 2nd round and put him behind Brissett until he starts outperforming him in practice

DeVonta Smith (WR) with our 2nd 2nd round pick - paired with a re-signed Funchess, a healthy Campbell, an aging T.Y. and Pascal. Fountain or Dulin emerge as the 6th.

With the rest find bpa for depth purposes

3rd 

4th

5th

6th

6th

7th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Dominant. DT with 1st round pick that can start day one

Jordan Love (QB) with the Redskins pick at top of 2nd round and put him behind Brissett until he starts outperforming him in practice

DeVonta Smith (WR) with our 2nd 2nd round pick - paired with a re-signed Funchess, a healthy Campbell, an aging T.Y. and Pascal. Fountain or Dulin emerge as the 6th.

With the rest find bpa for depth purposes

3rd 

4th

5th

6th

6th

7th

This would be ideal but I still don't think Love will make it to the 2nd round.

• Like 1

I think a lot of this depends on how some of our guys bounce back from injury and how the FO evaluates their development.

I'd rank WR #1:  As the OP said, TY's seemingly slowing down.  I think Campbell can be a very good player for us, but I don't think he's a #1, I think he's more built to be a dynamic guy who plays mostly in the slot but can be used to run reverses, line up occasionally outside, and just cause headaches to the opposing D-Coordinator due to his speed/athleticism.  I thought Campbell showed signs of improvement as he got more time, but unfortunately, every time that happened he wound up getting hurt.  Personally, I think we need a big WR who can be a very solid #1b or 2 to TY (maybe Funchess is that guy, and maybe we can bring him back cheap since he missed the whole year w/ injury?).  I think Pascal is developing nicely, and M. Johnson may turn out to be a nice #3 WR.  I think Dulin may still have some room to improve, but I think we've seen the ceiling on most of our other WRs (Rogers, Williams, Inman).  Maybe 'Reece Fountain comes back fully healthy and gives us a legit weapon... otherwise, I think we desperately need to add at least one legit 1b/2 WR this offseason.

#2 - CB:  I think Ya-Sin will be solid with another year to develop.  Moore is solid (IMO moreso at slot than outside) but has trouble staying healthy it seems.  I think we wound up overpaying Desir after he had a decent year last year, he didn't really impress me this year.  Wilson seemed like his growth is stunted.  I think Tell can be a decent player, but unless we upgrade here, I think CB is our weakest link in the secondary.

#3 - TE:  It sounds like Ebron may not be coming back (he struggled with drops again this year).  Doyle's a solid blocker and a good #2 TE.  I think Alie-Cox is a solid #3TE, but it'd be really nice to have a true #1 TE and I don't know that Ebron is the guy there (if he even comes back).

#4 - Interior DL:  I guess this depends on Turay.  He was really coming along on the edge, but got hurt.  I think he can be our long-term guy there, if he's healthy.  If that's the case, I think we need to add one more bull to the IDL (if not, edge may be a bigger issue).

#5 - QB:  I think Brissett would play better with better weapons (why I listed WR and TE higher than QB).  I'm not convinced Brissett is the long-term franchise QB, but I think he played well enough this year to give us a legit chance at winning the AFC South.  Had Vinny not missed those kicks and had Brissett had a few more weapons around him, I think he's a good enough QB to get us to the top of our division.  Not saying we shouldn't be looking for an upgrade here, but I think his play improves greatly with this season under his belt and improved weapons around him.

• Like 1

As far as funchess. He has stayed in town and been hanging with the team and doing community events. If he wanted to leave I assume he would not be sticking around. I think there is a real possibility they give him another shot. With his size he gives you something different. If we went into the season with TY, Campbell, Funchess, draft pick, pascal and Johnson that would be a pretty dynamic group.

I give Desir a little bit of a pass because he never really been fully healthy. But I think another corner to develop and take his place eventually is important. Maybe Tell can be that guy. Kenny had some bad luck this year with injuries. He stayed healthy last year so hopefully this was just a bad year. He is elite in the slot and it’s hard to replicate what he does when he doesn’t play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think a lot of this depends on how some of our guys bounce back from injury and how the FO evaluates their development.

I'd rank WR #1:  As the OP said, TY's seemingly slowing down.  I think Campbell can be a very good player for us, but I don't think he's a #1, I think he's more built to be a dynamic guy who plays mostly in the slot but can be used to run reverses, line up occasionally outside, and just cause headaches to the opposing D-Coordinator due to his speed/athleticism.  I thought Campbell showed signs of improvement as he got more time, but unfortunately, every time that happened he wound up getting hurt.  Personally, I think we need a big WR who can be a very solid #1b or 2 to TY (maybe Funchess is that guy, and maybe we can bring him back cheap since he missed the whole year w/ injury?).  I think Pascal is developing nicely, and M. Johnson may turn out to be a nice #3 WR.  I think Dulin may still have some room to improve, but I think we've seen the ceiling on most of our other WRs (Rogers, Williams, Inman).  Maybe 'Reece Fountain comes back fully healthy and gives us a legit weapon... otherwise, I think we desperately need to add at least one legit 1b/2 WR this offseason.

#2 - CB:  I think Ya-Sin will be solid with another year to develop.  Moore is solid (IMO moreso at slot than outside) but has trouble staying healthy it seems.  I think we wound up overpaying Desir after he had a decent year last year, he didn't really impress me this year.  Wilson seemed like his growth is stunted.  I think Tell can be a decent player, but unless we upgrade here, I think CB is our weakest link in the secondary.

#3 - TE:  It sounds like Ebron may not be coming back (he struggled with drops again this year).  Doyle's a solid blocker and a good #2 TE.  I think Alie-Cox is a solid #3TE, but it'd be really nice to have a true #1 TE and I don't know that Ebron is the guy there (if he even comes back).

#4 - Interior DL:  I guess this depends on Turay.  He was really coming along on the edge, but got hurt.  I think he can be our long-term guy there, if he's healthy.  If that's the case, I think we need to add one more bull to the IDL (if not, edge may be a bigger issue).

#5 - QB:  I think Brissett would play better with better weapons (why I listed WR and TE higher than QB).  I'm not convinced Brissett is the long-term franchise QB, but I think he played well enough this year to give us a legit chance at winning the AFC South.  Had Vinny not missed those kicks and had Brissett had a few more weapons around him, I think he's a good enough QB to get us to the top of our division.  Not saying we shouldn't be looking for an upgrade here, but I think his play improves greatly with this season under his belt and improved weapons around him.

Well said and this follows what I am hoping for. The order is correct in my mind as far as importance/need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

WR for sure is number 1.
2: DT. DE i think we're good there, we need a big DT or 2 that can get pressure. This being a deep DL draft, I expect at least 1 early pick up, and at least one with one of our 2nd round pick.

3. This is where I'd place QB. Why? because we are going to simply be too far down the drafting order to get a decent one. and really, outside of Burrow, there's really no decent prospects at QB that would be close to an upgrade over JB.

4. CB. Definitely need some more quality depth there. I like Rock, I think he'll grow into a very good corner, but we seem to suffer majorly when Moore is out. Wilson sucks and should be cut.

I think we're good at RB and TE and LB, obviously along the line, we're pretty solid. 

A rock is an upgrade over JB.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

WR for sure is number 1.

Check out Neville Gallimore. I think that may help with number 2

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Well said and this follows what I am hoping for. The order is correct in my mind as far as importance/need. 

That's like saying if the engine (QB) isn't running right you replace the body, tires, transmission, etc and then hopefully the engine will run better. 

1. QB. I hesitated to put QB as number one because I think that the Colts could go into next season without making a major QB move. (early draft pick, trade, etc) However, I don't think Jacoby is the answer at QB. You can't force it..if the right guy isn't available then he isn't available but if the Colts come across a QB who they believe is "the guy" then I think they make the move even at the expense of upgrading other positions.

2. WR. The Colts have an immediate need at WR and a long-term one given TY's age. The good news is there are plenty of great receiver prospects in this draft. They also should look to make a move in free agency even if it's to re-sign Devin and not bring in a new guy.

3. DL. They have a mix of young and old guys on the defensive line. This position group is a premium for Ballard. I think they should look to upgrade it for 2020.

4. CB. The answers might be on the roster already as time will tell how Rock and Tell develop. I still think another good corner is a need given how offenses play now.

5. OT. If AC gets hurt the team is screwed at LT. I still am in the group that would like to see the right side upgraded. I'm hoping the Colts can draft a good tackle in the upcoming draft to help the right side immediately (move Smith to RG) and hopefully someone who is adequate at LT and not a disaster if AC were to get hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

That's like saying if the engine (QB) isn't running right you replace the body, tires, transmission, etc and then hopefully the engine will run better. 

No, it's more like saying....I have the money for a great engine, but there are no for sure great engines available, and since I need some other things, I'll buy them now, and spend for a great motor when the time is right. 

Fans want the Colts to go all in for a QB, regardless if it fails. I, however, believe that Ballard is smart enough to choose the right decision. But, should he choose to not go QB, I'm sure that the GM level brains in here will persecute him verbally. 

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No, it's more like saying....I have the money for a great engine, but there are no for sure great engines available, and since I need some other things, I'll buy them now, and spend for a great motor when the time is right. 

Fans want the Colts to go all in for a QB, regardless if it fails. I, however, believe that Ballard is smart enough to choose the right decision. But, should he choose to not go QB, I'm sure that the GM level brains in here will persecute him verbally. 

I certainly don't want us to spend a ton on a slug but I feel that there are some very good prospects. I thought the question was what do we need, not what is available and I believe we need a QB bad but agree if there is nothing there when we draft we pass. I believe there will be,however, some good prospects available when we draft.

I don't think when anyone drafts any player they know for sure he is for certain going to be a great player. In spite of that they make the best choice they can rather than pass.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Four2itus said:

No, it's more like saying....I have the money for a great engine, but there are no for sure great engines available, and since I need some other things

there are some good qbs in this draft.  you make it sound like you dont want to try anyone else unless they are the next peyton 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I'm sure that the GM level brains in here will persecute him verbally. 

i probably will.  i dont have to agree with everything the GM does

hes had one good draft and two that are nothing special.  his free agents have been underwhelming .  we are all about to see what he can do without Luck 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i probably will.  i dont have to agree with everything the GM does

I won’t bat an eyelash if Ballard doesn’t address QB in 2020, he knows more than we do. 

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes had one good draft and two that are nothing special.  his free agents have been underwhelming .  we are all about to see what he can do without Luck 

Time will tell on his drafts, but I don’t see any Ravens, Bucs or Bears defenses on the horizon with the Colts. 

• Like 2

Defensive tackle would be first on my list but depending where we actually wind up picking I don't want it to be a reach. I do get a feeling the Colts will take a quarterback with one of their second round picks. If Washington loses on Sunday then we are guaranteed the second pick in the second round