Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What positions need an upgrade for next season? Top 5

ColtJax

On 12/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, ColtJax said:

1. WR: Hilton is slowing down a bit, Campbell has been injured so far and the rest are back ups at best. We need a REAL play maker, I wouldn't be opposed to AB in Indy if he checks out after his mental help.

2. QB- JB is no better than the starters that are being replaced with the Bengals and Bears (If they move on from that mistake). He's Ryan Tannyhill, good enough to stick but not good enough to win consistently. 

3. DE: Houston really brought some pressure, but we need more. Draft a playmaker or find one in FA, but he's needed.

4: RB: I like who we have, but we need another bigger back. There should be plenty available in FA or later in the draft.

TE: I like Jack Doyal, but he's a #2, good, just not a game changer. Getting another TE that can make plays will really open the game up. Ebron gave up on the team, so we should give up on him..

In order imo it’s 

1) Corner 

2)Wide Receiver

3)Defensive Line

4)Kicker

5)Tight End

WR, CB, WR, LB, WR

At the moment until we patch a few of our more glaring roster holes, of which WR is by far the most obvious and glaring -- upgrading QB is a luxury. 

I know it's the easy/obvious/lazy/mindless decision to assume that you can fix everything with the right QB, that isn't actually the case.

This squad as built is NOT 1 QB away from winning the Superbowl.  And I don't want to start the service clock on our QBOTF until we're quite a bit closer to getting our ducks in a row.

2 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

While I think QB is a pressing need, I wouldn't reach for one unless it was Tua--give him a year to fully recover from his injury.

We desperately need inside pressure on the D -line

Nope, no way I'd risk taking him.  Too injury prone, both ankles weak.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, ColtJax said:

1. WR: Hilton is slowing down a bit, Campbell has been injured so far and the rest are back ups at best. We need a REAL play maker, I wouldn't be opposed to AB in Indy if he checks out after his mental help.

The mental help AB needs is going to take more than 1 offseason, not to mention his history of sexual harrassment.  HARD pass.

We need to bring at least 2 veteran WR into this organization if we want to compete.  They don't have to be world beaters, they just have to be able to get on the same page of our somewhat mercurial QB.

Fill out the WR roster with Hilton, Pascal and Johnson (not necessarily in that order) plus 2 veterans and WR goes from a weakness to a strength.

2. QB- JB is no better than the starters that are being replaced with the Bengals and Bears (If they move on from that mistake). He's Ryan Tannyhill, good enough to stick but not good enough to win consistently. 

Not gonna argue with you except to say that Luck was hiding a lot of flaws on this roster, and it shouldn't have surprised anyone when a few injuries combined with those fundamental flaws triggered a cascade failure.   It's something that can happen to very young teams, if the coaching staff is worth its money we'll learn from it.

(not to mention that Luck got a LOT of breaks to fall his way during the win streak last year.  This team was nowhere NEAR as good as Luck made it look)

3. DE: Houston really brought some pressure, but we need more. Draft a playmaker or find one in FA, but he's needed.

I'm more concerned about our secondary coverage.  I agree we could use a bit more meat on the line but it's even more important IMHO to pick up some good smart CBs so we don't get beat by chunk plays as often.

4: RB: I like who we have, but we need another bigger back. There should be plenty available in FA or later in the draft.

RB is one of the areas where we're legit strong.  I don't agree that we need to make major moves there.  We've got 4 QBs who are all above average at what they do.  If we can't win with that, it's certainly not the RB unit's fault.

I would, however, like to see us bring in a Fullback.  If we're going to go old school smash mouth run game like Reich says he wants to, a guy who can lead block from the FB position is a very nice luxury to have.  Especially with an OL that can already give a really good push, throw in a FB on top of that and you can break off some pretty good runs against most defenses.

I'd like to claim Jakob Johnson off the Patriots.  He'll be available because James Develin is probably coming back and nobody needs two FB, and I liked what I saw from him before he got hurt (which I'm not too worried about, injuries happen at any back position).  If we're going to play this style, a guy like Johnson will give us some added ability to execute run plays against tough fronts.

TE: I like Jack Doyal, but he's a #2, good, just not a game changer. Getting another TE that can make plays will really open the game up. Ebron gave up on the team, so we should give up on him..

Agreed that Doyle is not a TE1.  I think we're going to need to temper our expectations for what we bring in.

That said, mending bridges with Dwayne Allen would be nice if he's willing to sign a reasonable deal.  Allen's not much of a target but as a pass/run blocking TE he's one of the best out there and again, if we're building our identity around the run, he'd be a good guy to have in harness.

Throw Allen and Johnson plus Doyle into what we're already doing with our great OL and solid RB game, and there won't be very many teams we can't run on. 

The big thing you could do with a meatwall that size is give the RB a couple choices of which gap to exploit. 

Overload Allen and Doyle on the outside to beat the edge rush and any of our RB should be able to gain 4-5, or you can use it the formation alone to draw linebackers away from the rush up the middle and allow the FB to open a gap.

Personally I think this is very close to the direction we actually wind up taking.

• Like 1

#1 &

D- Line (This team remains unremarkable at generating pressure. No one is afraid to throwing it all day against them. It's a patchwork front that been waiting for difference makers)

RT (the right side is OK at run blocking, below OK in pass protection.  Smith moves to right guard, Glow to guard backup) (NO, the o-line isn't fixed, the right side is bandaged & it shows against good pressure defenses)

TE (Need a true run blocker here to compete with the elite D's)

DB (The secondary is just not right yet, it needs another play maker)

• Like 1

1. 3T DT:  A player the offense has to account for for both the run and the pass.  Likely a top 20 pick.  Not a rotational player.  Comes out of the game for rest only.  Slides over on passing downs to allow smaller/lighter interior rushers like Lewis/Autry to come in.

2. QB:  JB doesn't turn the ball over, and that is a HUGE part of being able to keep us in games.  While he lacks the down field ability to win a shoot out, his accuracy has diminished as the season has progressed and that's unacceptable. 

3. WR:  Need a skill player the defense has to account for.  Can do something with the ball on his own.  Shouldn't have to scheme open space in front of him to get yards.

4. RB: Need another player the defense has to account for.  Should have balance and toughness to get the extra yards. 

5. OT: A player who can push Smith to G.

Our LBs, with Leonard and Okerke show promise.  Our secondary has struggled, but we are young all over and should give them another season to grow with a better pass rush.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

The mental help AB needs is going to take more than 1 offseason, not to mention his history of sexual harrassment.  HARD pass.

We need to bring at least 2 veteran WR into this organization if we want to compete.  They don't have to be world beaters, they just have to be able to get on the same page of our somewhat mercurial QB.

Fill out the WR roster with Hilton, Pascal and Johnson (not necessarily in that order) plus 2 veterans and WR goes from a weakness to a strength.

Not gonna argue with you except to say that Luck was hiding a lot of flaws on this roster, and it shouldn't have surprised anyone when a few injuries combined with those fundamental flaws triggered a cascade failure.   It's something that can happen to very young teams, if the coaching staff is worth its money we'll learn from it.

(not to mention that Luck got a LOT of breaks to fall his way during the win streak last year.  This team was nowhere NEAR as good as Luck made it look)

I'm more concerned about our secondary coverage.  I agree we could use a bit more meat on the line but it's even more important IMHO to pick up some good smart CBs so we don't get beat by chunk plays as often.

RB is one of the areas where we're legit strong.  I don't agree that we need to make major moves there.  We've got 4 QBs who are all above average at what they do.  If we can't win with that, it's certainly not the RB unit's fault.

I would, however, like to see us bring in a Fullback.  If we're going to go old school smash mouth run game like Reich says he wants to, a guy who can lead block from the FB position is a very nice luxury to have.  Especially with an OL that can already give a really good push, throw in a FB on top of that and you can break off some pretty good runs against most defenses.

I'd like to claim Jakob Johnson off the Patriots.  He'll be available because James Develin is probably coming back and nobody needs two FB, and I liked what I saw from him before he got hurt (which I'm not too worried about, injuries happen at any back position).  If we're going to play this style, a guy like Johnson will give us some added ability to execute run plays against tough fronts.

Agreed that Doyle is not a TE1.  I think we're going to need to temper our expectations for what we bring in.

That said, mending bridges with Dwayne Allen would be nice if he's willing to sign a reasonable deal.  Allen's not much of a target but as a pass/run blocking TE he's one of the best out there and again, if we're building our identity around the run, he'd be a good guy to have in harness.

Throw Allen and Johnson plus Doyle into what we're already doing with our great OL and solid RB game, and there won't be very many teams we can't run on. 

The big thing you could do with a meatwall that size is give the RB a couple choices of which gap to exploit. 

Overload Allen and Doyle on the outside to beat the edge rush and any of our RB should be able to gain 4-5, or you can use it the formation alone to draw linebackers away from the rush up the middle and allow the FB to open a gap.

Personally I think this is very close to the direction we actually wind up taking.

Im on board with a fb. Especially if they have the ability to catch too. 

12 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

5. trade for a proven qb

Quick:  Name me the last time any NFL team actually successfully did this.  I know of trades for prospects, trades for placeholders a la Tyrod Taylor, and trades for older players on the hope that they still had something in the tank, but proven QBs are the literal crown jewels of a franchise.  If you can't grow your own, you aren't getting one.

This is why we're focused on the run game now.  Because we know we have issues at QB and need to find ways to win anyway.

I think the last time someone traded a franchise QB in his prime is still Drew Bledsoe after Tom Brady supplanted him, though I could be mistaken.  Generally speaking these guys only move markets due to FA.

QB - No question

D-line - This would also improve the DB's who I don't think are as bad as some think.   When the opposing QB has all day to throw, it's tough to defend against.

WR - With Campbell, Hilton, Pascal, Johnson and Fountain, I would think we'd be fine, but too many injury risks.  

TE - I thought we might see Cox shine this season, but maybe he's just not that good.  

O-line - Smith gives us a nice choice.   We could draft (or sign) a RG or RT.  Best available.  

22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Quick:  Name me the last time any NFL team actually successfully did this.  I know of trades for prospects, trades for placeholders a la Tyrod Taylor, and trades for older players on the hope that they still had something in the tank, but proven QBs are the literal crown jewels of a franchise.  If you can't grow your own, you aren't getting one.

This is why we're focused on the run game now.  Because we know we have issues at QB and need to find ways to win anyway.

I think the last time someone traded a franchise QB in his prime is still Drew Bledsoe after Tom Brady supplanted him, though I could be mistaken.  Generally speaking these guys only move markets due to FA.

It doesnt happen often, I would grant that

But an older one would be 

Jim Plunkett

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It doesnt happen often, I would grant that

But an older one would be 

Jim Plunkett

Which again, was a guy who got supplanted by an elite replacement.  In Plunkett's case, Steve Grogan.

I don't see any of those guys on the market right now either.

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Which again, was a guy who got supplanted by an elite replacement.  In Plunkett's case, Steve Grogan.

I don't see any of those guys on the market right now either.

Really to me, the ONLY one that MIGHT fit this bill is Carr

IF he is truly available

1. QB. Its the number one need, without question. I'm just not convinced Ballard will use the first pick on one. 

2. DT. Have to get a game changer here if one is available. This could easily be the first pick, even though QB is the higher need. 

3. WR. T.Y. needs some help. That guy is not on the team at this point. 

4. TE. How about a guy with some speed and hands? Time to invest in this position again. I can see the Colts drafting two TEs. 

5. OT. Very thin at this spot. Depth badly needed. 

1. QB

2. 3-tech

3. WR

Those are the undisputed top 3 IMO. All of those are options in the first round. Also I think there are players that are perfect fits at those positions for us:

-QB: Jordan Love

-DT: Javon Kinlaw

-WR: Tee Higgins

The last two could be any combination of CB, SS, And TE. SS seems like a weird one considering we drafted Willis but I think we need a real enforcer for this D. People always throw it across the middle on us and there is never anyone there to level the receiver and make them scared.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:04 PM, hoosierhawk said:

That's like saying if the engine (QB) isn't running right you replace the body, tires, transmission, etc and then hopefully the engine will run better. 

Or it’s like saying upgrade the intake, exhaust and advance the timing so the engine runs stronger by being more efficient 

Edge, OT, or WR with our 1st pick. Whichever 1 is can't miss prospect. 

Developing QB late pick. Run stuffing wide buttox UT to help give Grover a breather.

I say dominant edge so we don't have to blitz to get pressures. DA is fine at 3T, he gets alot of double downs. Sheard is good rusher, great vs run. But doesn't require double team. Houston does but is aging. 

I would like to see Braden at RG and draft a highend OT. Glow, Haeg and Andrews as primary back ups and we are solid.

Funchess couldn't handle #1 with Carolina. TY is turning into a very good possesion receiver. We need a true #1. I like that kid from Colorado State.

LB and Secondary will be fine if we can give pressure quicker. Maybe a late round CB wouldn't hurt. Still resign Geathers for depth. Lower contract maybe 2 years. His role has changed. He's still solid. Cut Wilson. Wouldn't cut them both though.

RB is fine. Love those 4. Don't think even Mack would demand high dollar. Maybe somewhere around 8th or 9th highest paid RB.

We have a kicker on the roster that's not doing bad. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily in this order. 

DL - need to be able to stop the run and collapse the pocket.

EDGE pass Rusher

WR - critical need. This is the biggest weakness on the roster right now due to injuries.

TE - Ebron is gone. Doyle is a possession receiver but does not stretch a defense. we need an upgrade at TE to add a weapon in passing game.

QB - If a solid QB option is out there we should consider. We can allow a rookie to get some seasoning and go with JB for 2020

OL - A right Tackle would be good - can shift Smith to RG

Secondary - I think an improved pass rush would help our existing secondary but if we can add depth in our secondary we should upgrade.

PK - We should audition as many kickers as possible

Only areas that do not need significant help is RB and LB. 

Draft has to contribute with 2-3 guys who can start immediately. Perhaps there are 2-3 rookies who get playing time and show growth. Team has FA money. They need to spend some of it to fill some needs on this team

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Or it’s like saying upgrade the intake, exhaust and advance the timing so the engine runs stronger by being more efficient 

This engine has been around for 4 years now and around some pretty fair mechanics. You can only tune an engine so much but if the horsepower isn't there it might be time to look for a new engine if you ever want to win the race.

13 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

not a trade but denver won it all with peyton,  and look at the niners qb this year

Well, the season is pretty much over, and JB is not someone that I feel comfortable with leading us next year.  However, he might improve given his injury healing and possible learning curve, so I still don't feel it's #1.  

For me it's still DT above all else.  

We'll already "draft" Campbell, Turay, maybe Funchess.  RB is solid.  LBs, secondary pretty good.  So unless one of the top qbs, fall, go best player available after the dt.  

9 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

This engine has been around for 4 years now and around some pretty fair mechanics. You can only tune an engine so much but if the horsepower isn't there it might be time to look for a new engine if you ever want to win the race.

Obviously there is no replacement for displacement. However, 75% of the race is the driver.  If they think they can bolt on horsepower and win with this engine and driver, well I guess we will find out.  I’m personally with you and it’s time to drop a big block in her.  

A million of roughly the same stuff here, but still fun:

1. WR (and it's not even close)

2. DT- need to eat more blocks for LBs

3. QB- Jacoby is probably not the future

4. CB- We are already suspect, worse with injuries 

5. RB- Mack is too often hurt. A change of pace or upgrade would be nice. But Mack got over 1k this year so he's mostly great when we have him!

Honorable Mention: kicker but that's not going to be too insanely hard to find. We already have one for the rest of the year.