Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Really really disappointed. Makes me wish we never let Manning go. Way to just quit right before the season starts. WTH does that?!? Should of retired when season ended if that's what his lame * self was going to do. 

I think he made the decision after the latest  injury and it sounds like it wasn’t getting better.

• Like 2

Just now, JimJaime said:

I think he made the decision after the latest  injury and it sounds like it wasn’t getting better.

I'm more upset about the timing verse the retirement. I wish he would have given a heads up so the team could have prepared during the offseason. Then again, maybe he did and that was their answer? 

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

Why should he? Luck has played the fans and this team for fools for a month. Take your high horse elsewhere. What Luck just did to this team, regardless of reason, is the lowest of the low. I put this on the same level of the Josh McDaniels bull crap

Oh dear god...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I'm more upset about the timing verse the retirement. I wish he would have given a heads up so the team could have prepared during the offseason. Then again, maybe he did and that was their answer? 

If that is the case , he's just a liar.

Just a thought... 

This gets leaked mid-game, and sure he’s made his decision most likely but it’s not been officially announced. 

Rather then, I don’t know, chanting for him to stay, or showing he’s loved here, you boo him, If there was any doubt left in his mind, that probably removed it.

The full story does need to come out, this is practically unprecedented and I’m sure there’s a lot more going on than we know currently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Bro losing a franchise Qb, on a team ready to win, is not a temporary setback.

It derails this franchise for years to come.  Everything changes.

Sets us back 5 years easily.  

Teams just don't usually win without stud QB's in the NFL anymore and they're nearly impossible to land.

We just lost our irreplaceable stud QB.  

I gotta feel for Ballard. This really messes up his plan.   

The only hope I have is Ballard had some grandiose master plan "B" for if Luck retired.

4 hours ago, Reidm said:

Honestly i'm more worried about future free agents as well. I've been looking at a lot of reactions across the NFL and most of the players are bringing up the booing from the fans. Why would you want to play for an organization that the fans will turn its back on you so quick. (But i do get the reaction from the fans. We are all in shock and hurting)

I can promise you that if the exact same situation happened with all 31 other teams, there would be some fans booing. It was just the timing of it that elicited those reactions. Not saying they are right or justified but I also understand why it happened.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ManningGM said:

I don't know about y'all but I got over Luck quickly 

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO

Odds of us landing him are extremely slim

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Saw this on my news feed.

Would you guys think less of me if I admitted that I shed a few tears?

Not one bit

The booing was an emotional, shocked and angry reaction by some fans. It was unfortunate, but the world will forget about it soon enough. 

What we shouldn’t forget is what this guy did when he was on the field. He played his heart out. He played injured.  He played in severe pain. He put the team on his back time and time again. And he performed at the highest level. And his team mates loved him and had total respect for him. And now he’s injured again and it looks like it may not get better, perhaps ever, without some drastic changes. He’s had enough. 

I am as shocked as anyone by the decision. The timing is awful. But let’s stop the name calling and the quitter rants. He’s given this team and it’s fans an amazing ride. It’s a setback for the team. But they are in the most capable hands imaginable with Chris Ballard at the helm. They’ll survive and thrive. I wish Andrew Luck nothing but the best.  And I thank him for making football Sunday as a Colt fan something special. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I did too and I'm not a Colts fan. It brought to mind when Bridgewater got hurt right before the start of the 2016 season (Aug 30th). Our fan base was despondent. And he was not the elite QB that Luck is. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The booing was an emotional, shocked and angry reaction by some fans. It was unfortunate, but the world will forget about it soon enough. 

What we shouldn’t forget is what this guy did when he was on the field. He played his heart out. He played injured.  He played in severe pain. He put the team on his back time and time again. And he performed at the highest level. And his team mates loved him and had total respect for him. And now he’s injured again and it looks like it may not get better, perhaps ever, without some drastic changes. He’s had enough. 

I am as shocked as anyone by the decision. The timing is awful. But let’s stop the name calling and the quitter rants. He’s given this team and it’s fans an amazing ride. It’s a setback for the team. But they are in the most capable hands imaginable with Chris Ballard at the helm. They’ll survive and thrive. I wish Andrew Luck nothing but the best.  And I thank him for making football Sunday as a Colt fan something special. 

Very well said. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I saw that announced yesterday morning, well before Luck's announcement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

No.

Everyone has their own reactions and feelings. I cried like a baby when Peyton made his announcement. 

Having said that... for some reason Andrew's announcement, surprising as it is, didn't hit me the same way.  Maybe because he didn't play in several of the games I've gone to over the past years.   One injury after another.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here.  I'm sure It was a hard decision, but he must know that he wasn't going to be able to give  100% and thought it best to step down.  

Timing sucks, but none of us know how long he's been struggling with it, or if he tried earlier and was convinced to give it more time, until he just couldn't. 

We don't know.

• Like 1

Hate to compare but i’m going to do it anyway... Watching Cam get out that horrific car accident and being hit/hurt just as much if not more than Andrew and is still in the league blows my mind away. Same with Peyton before he retired.. Had all those neck surgeries then coming back to later win a chip.. Drive separates players who want to be good and players who want to be great. Always felt like Andrew liked football but never eat breathe and slept it. Potential was sky high for him but Grigson AND Andrew are to blame for his injuries. Booing I feel was more towards the lies and being mislead countless times about Luck and his injuries. From going to you think Luck will play week 1 to now he retires? But y’all have had this conversation for 2 weeks now? What? Good luck to the rest of your life/health Andrew but very bitter about this one.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Why would it be better if he retired earlier? To me it's obvious he was trying and trying hard to return. Just his body didn't cooperate. He made it as far as his body let him make it. How would retiring without even trying to heal make it any better? What would the "he's a quitter" crowd say then? 

He didn't retire in the early off-season because he didn't even think about retiring in the early off-season. A freaking calf strain extended for 4-5 months and went down to his Achilles, ankle and all sorts of bones it seems. I have no reason to doubt what he says (that the first time he started thinking about it was about 2 weeks ago). 

• Like 2

The reaction of this and other sites just shows how incredibly important these athletes are to people.  A person’s overall happiness for a week or even an entire off season can be impacted by whether their team wins or loses.  The connection we feel to our superstars can rival that of our families (I’m sure more so to a lot of people!), so if they leave prematurely, it stings.  While I hate the fact our fans booed him off the field, they’re human too, so I think they deserve a temporary pass.  If our significant other would abruptly leave, telling us they’re mentally drained, I doubt that we would thank them for all the good times as they exited.

Here it is 

Capt. Andrew Luck‏ @CaptAndrewLuck

FollowFollow @CaptAndrewLuck

More

Dearest mother — The quill has never felt more heavy. I have made the decision to holster my sidearm permanently. I shall battle no more. The decision is difficult, but, as the hogs taught me, I must be true to myself. I am coming home to care for you and the farm. — Andrew

As an outsider its just shocking but I understand who wants to be rehabbing and going through pain for going on 5 years. 

As far as people getting mad at the timing. I don't get it he wasn't injured until minicamp I think.  He tried to rehab and it wasn't getting better.  So he was going to play hurt for another year?

It wasn't going to get better playing on it with the possibility if injuring it worse see KD. 

The guy has made 100 mil in his career its his life to live it sucks for the colts.  But the way it was going even if he was playing the next couple years it was more than likely going to be injury riddled under performing seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brownsfan4life said:

As an outsider its just shocking but I understand who wants to be rehabbing and going through pain for going on 5 years. 

As far as people getting mad at the timing. I don't get it he wasn't injured until minicamp I think.  He tried to rehab and it wasn't getting better.  So he was going to play hurt for another year?

It wasn't going to get better playing on it with the possibility if injuring it worse see KD. 

The guy has made 100 mil in his career its his life to live it sucks for the colts.  But the way it was going even if he was playing the next couple years it was more than likely going to be injury riddled under performing seasons.

Gotta ask, how hard was it watching those 0-16 and similar seasons for the better part of 2 decades? Gotta get prepared for that

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm going to stick with Luck being a quitter.  I would have been booing him if I was there.  

He was ok last year beating Houston in the playoffs and playing in the pro bowl. He shows up for camp with a sore ankle and quits. This makes no sense to most people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can argue he owes it to his teammates but he owes fans nothing.  Sorry I know fans like to think that players and teams owe us something but they don’t.

Fans are customers, they ultimately pay all the bills, the better the product the more they get paid.  I might take exception to the idea that they owe the fans "nothing."  This is a bad deal of the highest order, does he have the right do it, of course.  Do the customers have a right to be upset and protest, you bet.  I wouldn't boo Andrew but I'm disappointed to the core and I have lost short term interest in the NFL as a product.  So, maybe you're right, then I don't owe them anything either I suppose and that's not a win for anyone, a doom loop if you will,  which is why we show care about the impact we have in business and society at large, this is a PR nightmare.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Gotta ask, how hard was it watching those 0-16 and similar seasons for the better part of 2 decades? Gotta get prepared for that

I wouldn't worry about that you actually have a good gm. That was the browns problem they couldn't find a guy to pick good players.

What I think many in the media are missing about this "quitting" not retiring is that Mr. Luck was getting paid big bucks to go out and put his health on the line playing NFL football. He was compensated for his injuries, he will "quite" a multi-millionaire earning nearly $97 million dollars that should alleviate some of the "pain" he has endured!!! Hell I played like a kid possessed just in back yard tackle football in my youth and have had a shoulder replacement, neck and knee surgery but I never "quit". He will always be a "quitter" in my mind and the damage he has done to the Colts franchise will haunt us for years. Thanks for nothing Andrew, no Super Bowl....nothing!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I'm definitely in the last stage.    

I went through them all.  

That was quick.  

Well maybe I'm in the depression phase.  

Idk.  

Send help.

This calls for Package Store therapy!  Just wait until the losses start piling up...Andrew  swings +/- 5-7 wins per season. Prepare for a 4-6 win season.

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

This calls for Package Store therapy!  Just wait until the losses start piling up...Andrew  swings +/- 5-7 wins per season. Prepare for a 4-6 win season.

Irsay should make the beer free the rest of the season after this, then again, that could make matters worse.

ps, go look at the Colts ticket market place if you wanna see how season ticket holders are taking it

• Haha 1