Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?      How do you figure?

There's a whole thread of player responses on twitter,  they're all nothing but supportive of Andrew Luck.    No one mentions the Colts?       How do the Colts look bad?    In what way?

There is more including Leonard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reidm said:

There is more including Leonard

OK....    I thought you were talking about the Colts.

You're talking about Indy, the city, and the fan base.

And yes,  we look terrible for booing Andrew.     Just terrible.

And to think so many here are happy that fans booed Luck.   They posted about how happy they were.     This is a bad, bad look for the Colts community.      Thanks for posting that.   I had not seen that before.     Appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ok,

gonna put on the conspiracy theory hat for a moment solely for thinking out loud. 

i just  watch the Q and A and Luck said that he had been thinking about it a long time.  

I watched two or three times to make sure I heard him right.. One of the first questions he was asked was (paraphrasing) 'you didn't wake up this morning and just decide to retire, how long have you been considering it?' and his reply was 'a week and a half to two weeks'. That's not really a "long time" 

2 hours ago, kornstar said:

Devastated! I'm angry that the Colts are losing a generational talent but i can't blame Luck for making this decision.

He is actually classy as hell, he could have easily been put on IR and collected his money but instead he retires and gives up potential money for the team.

Thank you for pointing that out! 

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

He simply cannot handle pain.  

But.. Why should he have to? 

You get hurt snowboarding once?  Ok.

I get it.  But it took 2 years to come back from.

So you are telling me that a sane man looking to be the best NFL qb he can be, being paid $25 M with an entire franchise and fan base depending on you, goes out and snowboards again?  After all that turmoil and with all of these people depending on you?

Does that make any rational sense to you?

Snowboarding is a VERY dangerous sport when it comes to injuries.  Not dangerous in the sense that you may die, but in the sense that it is very easy to get hurt.  I have 2 good friends here in S Cal who both got hurt Snowboarding this past winter.  One tore an ACL and the other broke an arm.

So you tell me how and why this guy went out and did it again after what happened 2-3 years ago.

That is why this guy should not be applauded.  He basically took his money and gave the middle finger to his teammates, the franchise, and the fans.

Yeah, the guy decided to live his life the way he wanted to instead of doing what was in the best interests of your entertainment. What a selfish guy HE is. 

He deserves every boo he gets.

If he had any integrity he would return the $25 M he is going to collect this year.

If he did NOT have any integrity he'd have kept milking the ankle and let the team put him on IR.  Then he could have retired at the end of this season, absolutely no worse for wear and with another year's worth of salary.  Perspective is a hell of a drug, huh? 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but the snowboarding injury had nothing to do with the shoulder, or any other problem.     No matter how many times you make the claim,  you're wrong each time

Here's the snowboarding story.....   sorry,  but you're wrong.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/09/andrew-luck-admits-to-long-rumored-snowboarding-injury/

No, don't you dare apologize! 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?      How do you figure?

There's a whole thread of player responses on twitter,  they're all nothing but supportive of Andrew Luck.    No one mentions the Colts?       How do the Colts look bad?    In what way?

And sports center showed interviews with a few players who were all supportive of luck, spoke of his toughness and wished him the best. JJ Watt had some great comments.  Jason Garrett too... He actually found out live on air in a press conference and watching his reaction was kinda surreal... Mind you it's very late here right now lol

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....    I thought you were talking about the Colts.

You're talking about Indy, the city, and the fan base.

And yes,  we look terrible for booing Andrew.     Just terrible.

And to think so many here are happy that fans booed Luck.   They posted about how happy they were.     This is a bad, bad look for the Colts community.      Thanks for posting that.   I had not seen that before.     Appreciate it.

No problem I can see how you would be confused considering i was replying to another comment.

I hope NFL players including Andrew can see that the fans were in Shock and reacted in the worst way possible. I really hope Andrew understands and doesn't hold it against. 

It happens, even on the forum, (including the resident trolls) fans are going to over react considering the impact this has on the franchise.

52 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Honestly i'm more worried about future free agents as well. I've been looking at a lot of reactions across the NFL and most of the players are bringing up the booing from the fans. Why would you want to play for an organization that the fans will turn its back on you so quick. (But i do get the reaction from the fans. We are all in shock and hurting)

Lets be real here, the fans booed because he retired abruptly, and for no apparent good reason other than he's tired of rehab...from injuries he sustained during the off-season.  It's understandable.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Lets be real here, the fans booed because he retired abruptly, and for no apparent good reason other than he's tired of rehab...from injuries he sustained during the off-season.  It's understandable.

No I totally understand. Like i said i was mad/confused/sad. Its just not a good look. Especially when players around the league are pointing it out. Including our own players. I just hope it doesn't impact future FA's.(which it probably wont) But Ebron left Detroit for a more supportive franchise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just like everyone, can’t believe it. We’re going to see how much better Reich is than Pagano as a coach, would be great to get a .500 record out of Brissett.

It is what it is!!!

Yeah, your right if this team goes 8-8 now Reich should be coach of the year. 

I said the same to my wife when I saw the news. 

You want to take a few months off, have surgery?  Ok.

Take a year off.  Ok.

That is the sane and sensible thing to do for someone who wants to keep playing.  Hell he could have played all year imo if he had a higher pain threshold. 

But as I have been saying all along, his heart has not been in football for a few years now.  To me he was looking for a way out for a while now, and this ankle or whatever the hell it is gave it to him.

I could tell he was last season by the way he acted saying I had so much fun playing this year in a way that sounded like a swan song to me. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To me now, Luck is on the same level as McDaniels. Completely deserted us and put us in a terrible situation. At least McDaniels was replaceable though, now we have to start Brissett/Kelly and hope for the best or draft someone in the first round next year. Sets us back 3-5 years and ruins all of Ballard's hard work.

Sad.

You are correct unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don't justify the booing but I think if Luck and the Colts organization had handled this situation better then it wouldn't have happened.  That was a horrible way for fans to learn this kind of news.  So I didn't like it per se but I do get it.  

A very smart post one of the best I've read 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, your right if this team goes 8-8 now Reich should be coach of the year. 

This team is light years better than the old men Pagano coached. Also Brissett has been building chemistry with the receivers all training camp instead of coming in week 2.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

If Dak prescott,  drew brees, pat mahomes or any team with a solid qb announced  that they were retiring  tomorrow  I guarantee  their fans would boo. IT'S an angry response  announced at a bad time

Drew Brees? Seriously Stephen, think a little before you blurt stuff out. He's 40 years old.  Who expects to be playing in the NFL at age 40?

Well I cant sleep or have a moment of peace so I'll just say it. The colts wont see a playoff game for a long time. All the young talent we accumulated, all the rebuilding. It's all for nothing. Jacoby hasnt showed any playoff caliber qb abilities. So brings me back to my point. It's all over. I wish to God the fans didnt boo luck off the field. I wish he had his own moment to retire. But I will say this. He broke my heart tonight and if I was there I'd probably run on to the field crying my eyes out. 

• Like 1

Well what can I say. This is a real slap in the face and I did not see this coming in a million years. I was not only wrong about him starting week 1 but he is retiring?? I just woke up and read the news and I still can't believe it. Now we are going to see what Ballard and Reich are really made of without Luck playing. I wish Luck well but I have to admit I am sick to my stomach right now and really disappointed about his decision. This is why people in general should not let sports run their life, you invest your money, time, and emotions into a team and then something like this happens.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well what can I say. This is a real slap in the face and I did not see this coming in a million years. I was not only wrong about him starting week 1 but he is retiring?? I just woke up and read the news and I still can't believe it. Now we are going to see what Ballard and Reich are really made of without Luck playing. I wish Luck well but I have to admit I am sick to my stomach right now and really disappointed about his decision. This is why people in general should not let sports run their life, you invest your money, time, and emotions into a team and then something like this happens.

I used to do that. Haven't for a long time. Not worth it. Rather trust myself than somebody else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ryan Clark is really good here.

Thanks for posting this. You may need to post this in other threads in case someone misses this. Ryan Clark is absolutely right. 

I'm sad for Andrew as well as for Colts fans and those of us who love football. This was not an easy decision for him. The NFL is better with Andrew Luck in it. I'll miss watching him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sorry, buddy. I know how hard this must be for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what a shocker! but i understand it, health is way more important than a ring. i just hope that Luck stays retired and is not coming back in two years or so. Wish you all the best Andrew, thanks for everything you gave to the team and some really awesome years. was a hell of a ride the first years. Good Luck! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sorry, buddy. I know how hard this must be for you. 

I am still in disbelief. Now where does our organization go from here? Ballard is a great GM and Reich is a good coach but without a franchise QB, this season is looking 8-8ish IMO. It will now take Ballard at least 2 more years to build this team and he now has to draft the right QB. Andrew did what he had to do but for a fan of the Colts this sucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reidm said:

Honestly i'm more worried about future free agents as well. I've been looking at a lot of reactions across the NFL and most of the players are bringing up the booing from the fans. Why would you want to play for an organization that the fans will turn its back on you so quick. (But i do get the reaction from the fans. We are all in shock and hurting)

I think the important thing to consider about the booing is the context. When is the last time that the face of a franchise retired (during a game) 2 weeks before the season, while telling fans that he anticipated playing, at a time when team expectations are extremely high? I can't think of an instance where that happened. Yes, players get traded during games in baseball, but even that doesn't compare. I'm sure the fans that booed regret it, but Philly still gets FA's and they boo for anything.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yup.  My brother (steelers fan) texted me and seemwd bummed that i wasnt more "upset".

yea, i'm disappointed.  The season looks alot different now. My expectations have changed. But im not gonna let it ruin my day, so to speak.  I am much less motivated and excited for the season now, but am somewhat excited to see how the team, Reich, Jacoby, and Ballard respond.  Jacoby has the perfect opportunity handed to him.  We'll see what happens but sheesh, what a kick in the gut.

Imagine how Irsay and Ballard feel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

If Dak prescott,  drew brees, pat mahomes or any team with a solid qb announced  that they were retiring  tomorrow  I guarantee  their fans would boo. IT'S an angry response  announced at a bad time

No.  The fans in that stadium who booed are putrid fans.  They don't deserve a good team.  Pathetic.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Andrew gave absolutely everything to the Colts. It’s not his fault Grigson and Pagano didn’t build an offensive line. This guy played through muliple injuries. The fact that he’s getting hate is ridiculous. He needs to do what’s best for him

I do not think he deserves hate or anything, it is just the way he retired abruptly that has everyone shocked. He played through a lot of injuries and did give us several big wins/good times. 

3 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I think the important thing to consider about the booing is the context. When is the last time that the face of a franchise retired (during a game) 2 weeks before the season, while telling fans that he anticipated playing, at a time when team expectations are extremely high? I can't think of an instance where that happened. Yes, players get traded during games in baseball, but even that doesn't compare. I'm sure the fans that booed regret it, but Philly still gets FA's and they boo for anything.

No obviously this is the biggest/most unexpected retiring the NFL has ever seen. But do you think If this happened last year free agents like Ebron come here knowing we dont have a franchise QB and will turn on anyone at a moments notice. Even the nicest player in the NFl.

11 minutes ago, Reidm said:

No obviously this is the biggest/most unexpected retiring the NFL has ever seen. But do you think If this happened last year free agents like Ebron come here knowing we dont have a franchise QB and will turn on anyone at a moments notice. Even the nicest player in the NFl.

I get it, but who knows, (as far as FA's go) we just got 4 years younger at QB, with a QB that was arguably our best player in 2017. Of course, we went 4-12, but we were in a lot of games, with a QB who really didn't know the offense. Yes, our fans booed, but I think if any team found out that a star player in their prime was retiring during a game, near the start of the season, their fans would boo.

Congrats to Andrew Luck. Thank you for playing for Indy. I understand a body and mind can only take so much pain. Personally my pain tolerance is not that high. How do you leave, how do you say goodbye? I wish that young man long life, and good health. Get healthy and live your life. This is shocking to say the least as a Indy fan. But the Colts are going to be OK. It may take a little while but we will rise again.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I get it, but who knows, (as far as FA's go) we just got 4 years younger at QB, with a QB that was arguably our best player in 2017. Of course, we went 4-12, but we were in a lot of games, with a QB who really didn't know the offense. Yes, our fans booed, but I think if any team found out that a player was retiring during a game, near the start of the season, their fans would boo.

We did get 4 years younger but Andrew was a generational talent. I'm just thinking out loud here but a player that has constantly been criticized like Ebron would surely rather go to team that would be accepting of him.  Ebron is an easy example but what about funchess Etc. Even if Luck was regretting the decision i'm sure the booing confirmed his beliefs. I just dont see how this wont have an impact on fa even if its in a minuscule way

• Like 1

Hey Horseshoecrabs, loved what you said about loving the horseshoe, I've been a colt fan since the mid 60's, seen a lot of bad football, and a lot of great football. Have had Sunday ticket since '96 and haven't missed a game. To put things in perspective this is nothing, imagine how Nebraska fans felt the day they announced the hiring of Bill Callahan. Then a few years later they fire Bo Pelini and announce the hiring of Mike Riley. Double whammy! God bless Andrew Luck and God bless all loyal Colt fans.

4 hours ago, threeflight said:

All I can tell you is I was told by a friend who played in the NFL and who is very close to an NFL player still playing that word around the league was lots of other NFL qbs would have played the past 2 years with the injuries Luck had. 

Hell even Irsay said it was more between the ears than an actual injury.

I think Luck played with worse injuries with his ribs and kidney compared to the shoulder.  But for whatever reason, that injury really scared him.

And I am sure getting married and starting a family did even more.

He has always been kind of a nerdy, strange guy.  Not your typical NFL jock.  This is kind of right up his alley of something he might do if you really see what kind of person he is.

I don't begrudge him retiring.  I am furious however at his timing.  2 weeks before the season?  After telling everyone you will be ready for week 1?

That is chicken ****.

The last two qbs here would have played through it.  Manning broke his jaw and missed one play that season.  Harbaugh got beaten like rag doll and had no quit in him.  Iirc he got his knee scoped after one game and played in the next.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There was no deadline to retire.     The deadline was only concerning whether he would start week 1.     That's it.     Reich isn't giving his star quarterback a deadline whether to play or retire! Come one,  of course it's an unrealistic assessment.    

Retirement talk doesn't come from the head coach.    It comes from the owner and the GM.

I said nothing about a deadline to retire. I said Reich gave a Monday deadline for Luck to start game week one. It’s not a stretch to think that Luck gave himself that same deadline to decide if he would just retire. After listening to him last night it seems like that’s what happened since he said that he pretty much knew about 2 weeks ago that he’d retire.