Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

I was told by a friend of mine that works at LOS this is reason Peyton was in town last week.

Supposedly to talk with Andrew and find out if he was in or out

and offer his advice on how to proceed with his decision.  I was also told Peyton done this per a request from Mr. Irsay.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow... I’m sure you won’t be the last. But still

Things like this are rough for some

I know that the first year after I stepped away from coaching at Princeton(I had been involved in the program in some fashion my entire life) I struggled to go to games 

I can not help but think this has something to do with McDaniels bailing on the Colts last year. Hindsight is always 20/20, but maybe he did catch wind of Andrew's heart not being in it anymore, and didn't want to deal with him retiring. 

What makes me upset more than anything about this whole situation is the fact that the Browns offered a BOUNTY for Andrew last off-season, and Ballard turned them down. Now, we don't even have Baker OR Luck. Everyone on here gawked at the idea of giving up Luck for two first, and two second picks, but I was not one of them. That's an insane haul for a QB. 

Whatever, the Colts blew it. We had every opportunity to preserve Luck. Grigson didn't do it, and then Ballard didn't try and move on from a player who's heart wasn't fully in the game. I don't fault Andrew for retiring, and i'm not even mad at him for doing it when he did, I'm more mad about the staff around him who couldn't see this coming 

I was told by a friend of mine that works at LOS this is reason Peyton was in town last week.

and offer his advice on how to proceed with his decision.  I was also told Peyton done this per a request from Mr. Irsay.

1 minute ago, ojsglove said:

So I guess the renaming of the children’s hospital in Evansville was an afterthought 

3 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Uh huh 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Gotta ask, how hard was it watching those 0-16 and similar seasons for the better part of 2 decades? Gotta get prepared for that

If this is true we have worse problems than Luck retiring. It means we have the wrong GM and HC running the ship.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow... I’m sure you won’t be the last. But still

There is no sports team that I will follow closely through a terrible season.

It's about 4 hours of time in the middle of the day on a day off.  I can spend that time with my family and have not or I can watch the colts lose and be depressed about it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aaaea3ca8f2bdcda2d2

He was in town for about a dozen other reasons, but what you listed wouldn’t even make the top 500. Ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is no sports team that I will follow closely through a terrible season.

It's about 4 hours of time in the middle of the day on a day off.  I can spend that time with my family and have not or I can watch the colts lose and be depressed about it.

It is old hat to me 

After watching the FO press conference, Ballard made it clear that Luck was excited going into this offseason.  

So this calf injury he sustained while in Europe is the driving force behind his retirement and he probably feels like he cant catch a break. First off season with high hopes and no injury, then he gets hurt doing something. It probably did mess his mind up. 

But as Jim put it, he's going off to be a worm and come out a beautiful butterfly...

Oh Jim.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Now that I have processed it a bit I will say this was a fear in the back of my mind.  Luck was never a guy who felt like he needed football.  He can do whatever he wants with his life now, maybe go become an architect.  

Yep.  A multi-millionaire architect.

I think not.

Pretty obvious that as soon as he signed that contract, his love of the game and will to compete flew out the window.

I said it the day he signed the contact.  I said he was not worth the money.  And the reason I said it wasn't because of his physical talent, but instead because to me, he just didn't seem like he would ever truly be a winner.  I always saw a guy who liked to be out there playing with the guys, but never one who had that undeniable will to win. 

I think this decision bears that theory out.

Yes I understand a lot of people won't like this, but lets face it, he signed it in the summer of 2016, didn't play in 2017, he himself said he considered retiring before last year 2018, plays one season, and now he actually does retire in 2019. 

Lots of people lose their will to excel when they get paid.  As much as I like Andrew, this all seems too coincidental to me. 

How much money is he going to collect for playing one season since the new contract?  I am not sure of the exact figures, but it has to be over $100 M.

For one season.  Think about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No matter when he announced this, you would have been upset. Robert Smith, RB for the Vikings, announced his retirement right at the end of the best season of his career. Fans were angry, not understanding why he would quit at that moment. Same when Barry Sanders retired. These guys have their reasons and they don't have to tell others why. 

Fans don't seem to understand that football players are human beings and they are not that different from us. Playing the game, having special talents, or making lots of money does not change that. They are still human.                                                                                                                    I could not have said it any better. This about sums it all up. Also if in his mind he has givin up then what good was he going to be. We will survive this. Might turn out better than you think. We have to play with what we have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

The guy played thru a lacerated kidney for the fans.

He battled back from the shoulder thing, for the fans.

He has always been a class act.

And tonight the fans booed him and hurled insults at him as he walked off the field.

Its shameful how people act.

Yes I understand he played with a lacerated kidney, but may I remind you that after his shoulder injury and during his rehab he reinjured his shoulder snowboarding after he was told not do so. I believe he was already thinking of retiring months ago and used the lower leg problem as a crutch. 

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think not.

Pretty obvious that as soon as he signed that contract, his love of the game and will to compete flew out the window.

I said it the day he signed the contact.  I said he was not worth the money.  And the reason I said it wasn't because of his physical talent, but instead because to me, he just didn't seem like he would ever truly be a winner.  I always saw a guy who liked to be out there playing with the guys, but never one who had that undeniable will to win. 

Yes I understand a lot of people won't like this, but lets face it, he signed it in the summer of 2016, didn't play in 2017, he himself said he considered retiring before last year 2018, plays one season, and now he actually does retire in 2019. 

Lots of people lose their will to excel when they get paid.  As much as I like Andrew, this all seems too coincidental to me. 

How much money is he going to collect for playing one season since the new contract?  I am not sure of the exact figures, but it has to be over $100 M.

It isn't over 100 million.   He made 97 million total in his career

10 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think not.

Great post.

9 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Yes I understand he played with a lacerated kidney, but may I remind you that after his shoulder injury and during his rehab he reinjured his shoulder snowboarding after he was told not do so. I believe he was already thinking of retiring months ago and used the lower leg problem as a crutch. 

We dont actually know this.

This is the problem with fans. They hear a rumor here, they here a rumor there, and pretty soon they get in their feelings, and everything becomes fact.

None of us know what Andrew is going thru. None of us know the level of pain he endured playing the game, but it sure looked painful. So at a certain point it just becomes flat out disrespectful. It reminds me of when you take a small child's toy away, and the ensuing fit that comes. At some point, you cant excuse it, you should be better than that.

All the evidence points to a guy who has been thru a world of hurt, and can no longer stand it mentally. And as human beings, we should all understand that. The money he makes is irrelevant .

Listen to the guys he has played against. He has a man like JJ Watts respect and admiration.....but threeflight "the toughest bowler" on earth doesn't respect him? I'm sure that tears him up inside. 

The reaction to this is laughable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Have no problem with Luck getting booed. People have a right to voice their opinion by cheering or booing as long as it's without violence. They did exactly that as they didn't throw anything at him or physically assault him. They were well within their rights and Luck deserved it for misleading everyone.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I reject the notion that it might have been planned.

I think he does look at the injuries, the apparent new one a few weeks ago, and sees what he has to go through to win the SB, the rising competition in KC and CLEV, and simply says its not worth it relative to his financial place in life and his other interests.

This is why GMs try to assess a potential player's interest in the game.

I hope at some point people forget about the feeeeeels good giggly awwww shucks process journey Andrew and really think about what he has done to the Colts franchise here.

He took them for almost $100 M since he signed the new contract in 2016.

Played one season in the 3 years since.

Got hurt snowboarding in 2016.

Spent what seems like an extreme amount of time coming back.

Misses an entire year.

Plays one season.

Rumor is he hurts himself again this offseason, wait for it.......snowboarding again!   Who does that???

Waits until 2 weeks before the season, and 2 months after the cutoff date for him (June) to be paid in full this year no matter what, and says "see ya"!

To me?  That is shady as hell.

He does not in anyway look like a player who is hurt severely enough to retire.  He is being paid $25 M this year.  Suck it up, play, and don't take the money and run.  Be a man,

Because I promise you he won't be returning the money anytime soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The line that got me was when Luck said he has been in pain and is still in pain.

He’s tired of hurting.  I can understand that.  No one wants to be in constant pain and if you could walk from a job that made you hurt constantly too I bet just about everyone here would do the same and I wouldn’t blame any of you.

By the way those stages of grief, I would be willing to bet Andrew has been going through those too.  You don’t just wake up one morning and go hey I think I’ll retire today.  So I buy he’s been thinking about this.  He also tried to play again and realized his heart wasn’t in it because of the pain.  For the fans who feel like Andrew owes you something he has literally given you his body for seven years for entertainment.  Personally I think he’s paid off any debt he “owed” anyone who happens to like a team with his personal health.   

If you are still mad, and I know this isn’t going to go over well but it’s how I feel, maybe you need to wake up and realize what Andrew Luck did, there is more to life than football.  If you are allowing a 29 year old man’s, who you don’t know, decision to not play a game for your entertainment because of his health to make you mad that says more about you than Andrew.

As for the booing, I get that.  I think it was people’s first shocked reaction.  I think once the dust settles a lot of those people will regret doing that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

As for the booing, I get that.  I think it was people’s first shocked reaction.  I think once the dust settles a lot of those people will regret doing that.  

I doubt it.   

And to clarify,  the mentality to boo doesn't have the same mentality to regret it.   JMO

20 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

We dont actually know this.

This is the problem with fans. They hear a rumor here, they here a rumor there, and pretty soon they get in their feelings, and everything becomes fact.

None of us know what Andrew is going thru. None of us know the level of pain he endured playing the game, but it sure looked painful. So at a certain point it just becomes flat out disrespectful. It reminds me of when you take a small child's toy away, and the ensuing fit that comes. At some point, you cant excuse it, you should be better than that.

All the evidence points to a guy who has been thru a world of hurt, and can no longer stand it mentally. And as human beings, we should all understand that. The money he makes is irrelevant .

Listen to the guys he has played against. He has a man like JJ Watts respect and admiration.....but threeflight "the toughest bowler" on earth doesn't respect him? I'm sure that tears him up inside. 

The reaction to this is laughable.

Its easy to wax philosophical when its not your teams SB dreams and future  probably down the drain , at least for now. 

• Like 1

Wow. You really dislike Andrew Luck huh? At the end of the day we all only have 1 life on this planet. Why waste another year doing something you don’t enjoy just to make others happy? This is Andrew’s life he should do what makes him happy. I myself have left a career field I didn’t not enjoy at the age of 28. I obviously wasn’t making millions but money isn’t everything and money  does not buy happiness.  Life is about experiences And not wasting a second on things that take that  happiness away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It's football.   He knew he was going to have injuries.   I highly doubt this latest leg injury was the coup de grace for his career.   

Why?he has been hurt in one form or another the last 4 years. IMO this was the straw that broke the camels back..  again it sounded to me like it was not healing like he wanted and still hurt a lot. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Archangel said:

That is exactly what he did.

• Like 2