Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

You guys can lay into me all you want to.  All I know is I was right.....you were wrong.  Not gloating, just stating simple facts.

You laid into me for the past 3 weeks when I told you that the Colts need to draft a new QB because Luck would not be around for long due to his mental issues.  Lots of you called for my banning from this board for that.

Turns out I was dead on.  More right than even I knew could happen.  I said he may retire, I just thought he would at least try to stick out this year. 

Instead he took his $25 M and is going snowboarding.

He deserves every boo he gets.

If he had any integrity he would return the $25 M he is going to collect this year.

Not sure what you want

4 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Schefter says he's mentally worn down.  

Yeah...because he is a mental midget.

Pure garbage between the ears.

Don't let his golly gee journey and process talk fool you.

He is a baby who can't take the heat.  Can't take the pain.  Doesn't have the willpower to be a winning NFL qb.  He used to be.  But that Andrew has been gone for 3 years.

And Andrew, go work a 9-5 job making $20 an hour in a factory, and then go complain about making $25 M a year to be an NFL Qb and tell us how mentally word down you are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

You guys can lay into me all you want to.  All I know is I was right.....you were wrong.  Not gloating, just stating simple facts.

You laid into me for the past 3 weeks when I told you that the Colts need to draft a new QB because Luck would not be around for long due to his mental issues.  Lots of you called for my banning from this board for that.

Turns out I was dead on.  More right than even I knew could happen.  I said he may retire, I just thought he would at least try to stick out this year. 

Instead he took his $25 M and is going snowboarding.

He deserves every boo he gets.

If he had any integrity he would return the $25 M he is going to collect this year.

I've been keeping myself from posting because I don't want to get banned, but you were 100% right, and everyone on this board owes you an apology. You stuck to your guns and I respect that.

We're all just in shock right now.

• Like 1

I would like to add this:

I don’t think it was anyone in our organization who let this slip. I really don’t. Why would they do that to our players on game night when the official announcement was coming tomorrow? They wouldn’t. Nothing to gain there. 

I think the Bears found out during the game. The players knew, and someone said something to someone on the field. By halftime everyone on the field knew, and when they went to the locker rooms onto their phones they went and the news got out that way. That’s why it broke in the third quarter. 

Ugh. I’m tired. I’m going to bed. 

16 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Fringe team.... lol. 

We were favored to win the AFC South.

Candidate for dumbest post of the year.

The Colts haven’t won the AFC south in 5yrs. Of course with a QB like Luck you always have a punchers chance, but Projections are only guesses and you guessed wrong. I have been saying from the get go this was a fringe playoff team so I’m not riding emotion here.  There are major holes on this roster that needed filled.  Drafting higher is a great way to do it.  I believe in Ballard to fill those holes and we will wait to see who the next franchise QB will be.  

• Like 1

Pretty clear what happened here.  Andrew could not take being injured and coming back from injury all the time. It became his whole life and he didn't enjoy the game enough to stay in the cycle. He couldn't deal with constantly being injured. The same people who are dragging him in this thread would have been the same ones had he revealed this at another point in time. 

He just has to deal with this as it is moving forward.  The man came to grips with the fact that he's not Big Ben or Favre.  He loves the game but not enough to put his health to the side.  I also think he couldn't deal  that well psychologically with his body not working the way he wants it to.  That's all he knows is being a top dog performer at what he does and when his body wouldn't allow him to do that it really tore up his ego in some ways. He would really get down on himself.  I'm sure most of it was the physical beat down, but I'm sure as he stated the worry of not being on top mentally exhausted him to the point he became unhappy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

That is not an unrealistic assessment.  Didn't Reich say Luck had a Monday deadline if he was to start week one?  That could have been Luck's set deadline to retire as well.  

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

That is not an unrealistic assessment.  Didn't Reich say Luck had a Monday deadline if he was to start week one?  That could have been Luck's set deadline to retire as well.  

There was no deadline to retire.     The deadline was only concerning whether he would start week 1.     That's it.     Reich isn't giving his star quarterback a deadline whether to play or retire! Come one,  of course it's an unrealistic assessment.    

Retirement talk doesn't come from the head coach.    It comes from the owner and the GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I would like to add this:

I don’t think it was anyone in our organization who let this slip. I really don’t. Why would they do that to our players on game night when the official announcement was coming tomorrow? They wouldn’t. Nothing to gain there. 

I think the Bears found out during the game. The players knew, and someone said something to someone on the field. By halftime everyone on the field knew, and when they went to the locker rooms onto their phones they went and the news got out that way. That’s why it broke in the third quarter. 

Ugh. I’m tired. I’m going to bed. 

I am leaning more to someone in the NFL offices

3 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

sorry man, head wasn't thinking straight. had a few to drink, and will probably have a few more now. the show must go on. What's the next move?

Thanks for a classy response.

No worries...      we're all going a little crazy.    

Turns out,  Luck has been talking with Irsay, and Ballard and Reich all week.   Retirement was on his mind all week.    The discussions went on pretty much every day to one level or another.

This is a crazy night....     one of the craziest ever.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Pretty clear what happened here.  Andrew could not take being injured and coming back from injury all the time. It became his whole life and he didn't enjoy the game enough to stay in the cycle. He couldn't deal with constantly being injured. The same people who are dragging him in this thread would have been the same ones had he revealed this at another point in time.  He just has to deal with this as it is from this point.  He just realized that he he's not Big Ben or Favre.  He loves the game but not enough to put his health to the side.

As many here should know football especially at the D1 and NFL level has become a 365 day career

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Unfortunately..Chad has been suspended....right?

Yes,  you're correct.    For two weeks.    I took the posters comment to mean who would be the back-up for the season.

By the way,   I'd like to give you a shout-out.    I thought you made one of the best observations of the night.    Not sure any media member asked Luck or asked Ballard or Irsay....

Whey didn't Luck announce he was having surgery on his leg and taking the season off and he'd be back in 2020?      I thought that was flat-out a great comment.    And I'm not sure it was even asked.    Sorry it wasn't.

I'd have asked Luck that.    And I'd have asked if the front office asked him to consider that.

Feels like there are pieces of the puzzle missing.    Hoping questions are answered in the days to come.     But mad props to you.    Yours remains a sharp mind asking the right questions....

On a night like tonight,  you were needed!

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The Colts haven’t won the AFC south in 5yrs. Of course with a QB like Luck you always have a punchers chance, but Projections are only guesses and you guessed wrong. I have been saying from the get go this was a fringe playoff team so I’m not riding emotion here.  There are major holes on this roster that needed filled.  Drafting higher is a great way to do it.  I believe in Ballard to fill those holes and we will wait to see who the next franchise QB will be.  

You're the only only one saying this. All of the "paid" folks had the Colts as favs.

If I guessed wrong, so did everyone else but you.

As far as other teams, every team has holes. Please feel free to back your silliness up with stats.

The only reason why we didn't win the AFC South last year was because we had musical chairs on the OL the first half of the season, our lead RB out early, and more musical chairs at WR the whole year. We addressed WR. Our OL was top 5 the last half of the season. Mack was top 5 the last half of the season. We beat the AFC champ on their on won field in the playoffs. 

Carry on your silliness.... but feel free to support your silliness with stats...

Again, dumbest post/thread of the year.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've been keeping myself from posting because I don't want to get banned, but you were 100% right, and everyone on this board owes you an apology. You stuck to your guns and I respect that.

We're all just in shock right now.

I understand and thanks.

I was with my wife in Hollywood.  Just had seen a great 80s musical at a bar at the Line Hotel. 

I click on my phone and headline reads Luck is retiring.

Part of me wanted to puke.  The other part of me wasn't at all surprised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And on the plus side showed tonight he looks like he can handle that roll.  It’s sad that he will have too but even without Luck the Colts are much better set at QB now than 2017 or 2011.  

Wanted to say thanks to you....    a long difficult night for all of us and I thought you made a lot of very sharp posts urging sanity.     Much appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

I didn't post much.    I'd just be pouring gasoline on a fire....   I mostly avoided the thread.

Glad you posted as you did....  

11 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Once the dust settles, all will still be in place to attract a good QB to take our team to the next level. just a temporary set back, I'm Shure that our management , will be on top of this, after rebuilding the line , running back situation , and defense , not to let it go to waste.   

Bro losing a franchise Qb, on a team ready to win, is not a temporary setback.

It derails this franchise for years to come.  Everything changes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nulled said:

Seriously dude, just go to bed. No one wants your moral high ground crap right now.

Seriously dude,  you've been a member for four months and you're making a post like that?

Really?     Seriously?     Oh, that's a great look for a new member.   

A belated welcome to the website....     I'm sure you'll fit right in....

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, threeflight said:

And screw him and his 'journey'.

He takes this words like journey and 'process' from the Bachelor franchise of all things and tries to sound sincere with them to explain things.  To explain his behavior.

It is all nonsense.  He chickened out.  Took his money and ran.

Period.

Screw Luck and his process and journey.

Right on cue.....

Bad news and look who shows up?!    

As predictable as can be.....

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pretty clear what happened here.  Andrew could not take being injured and coming back from injury all the time. It became his whole life and he didn't enjoy the game enough to stay in the cycle. He couldn't deal with constantly being injured. The same people who are dragging him in this thread would have been the same ones had he revealed this at another point in time.  He just has to deal with this as it is from this point.  He just realized that he he's not Big Ben or Favre.  He loves the game but not enough to put his health to the side.

Then he should have either stuck out the season and played as the injury is not something that can get worse.  (from what we know).

Or.....told the Colts this 7 months ago. 

Doing this 2 weeks before the season is chicken ****.  Especially if he really did hurt himself snowboarding.....again.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I understand and thanks.

I was with my wife in Hollywood.  Just had seen a great 80s musical at bar at the Line Hotel. 

I click on my phone and headline reads Luck is retiring.

Part of me wanted to puke.  The other part of me wasn't at all surprised.

I had the same reaction. It's absolutely terrible, but I knew it was in the realm of possibility. As we had both said, his head wasn't in the game anymore and his passion was gone. I got crap for mentioning it as well. Only difference is I thought he'd make it a couple more years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, threeflight said:

You get hurt snowboarding once?  Ok.

I get it.  But it took 2 years to come back from.

So you are telling me that a sane man looking to be the best NFL qb he can be, being paid $25 M with an entire franchise and fan base depending on you, goes out and snowboards again?  After all that turmoil and with all of these people depending on you?

Does that make any rational sense to you?

Snowboarding is a VERY dangerous sport when it comes to injuries.  Not dangerous in the sense that you may die, but in the sense that it is very easy to get hurt.  I have 2 good friends here in S Cal who both got hurt Snowboarding this past winter.  One tore an ACL and the other broke an arm.

So you tell me how and why this guy went out and did it again after what happened 2-3 years ago.

That is why this guy should not be applauded.  He basically took his money and gave the middle finger to his teammates, the franchise, and the fans.

Sorry,  but the snowboarding injury had nothing to do with the shoulder, or any other problem.     No matter how many times you make the claim,  you're wrong each time

Here's the snowboarding story.....   sorry,  but you're wrong.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/09/andrew-luck-admits-to-long-rumored-snowboarding-injury/

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Bro losing a franchise Qb, on a team ready to win, is not a temporary setback.

It derails this franchise for years to come.  Everything changes.

Hey Philly won with Foles with a good team built for their franchise QB who was out for the season , the same can happen for us, Don't forget we have a good structure for anyone who calls himself an NFL QB, the foundation is there BRO!

• Like 1

I know it’s hard to see right now but the sun will come up tomorrow.  

Going back to 2011 Indianapolis sports fans have been through the ringer without star players, cutting Peyton, PG13 getting hurt, Andrew getting hurt, PG13 demanding to be traded, Vic getting hurt, and now Andrew retires.  

Hopefully the sports Gods will smile on us again soon.  For now though life will go on and so will Colts football.  Like I said before if any headcoach in the NFL knows what lies a head for Jacoby in terms of being a high end backup that has to carry weight for his team now because his franchise QB isn’t there it’s Frank.  

I don’t think this is going to be the season we hoped for as fans but I don’t think this will be 2011 all over again either.  Just sit back and support your team.  They need it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously dude,  you've been a member for four months and you're making a post like that?

you never know. he could be a media guy or writer that just joined and has wisdom that most of us can only hope to have.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  you're correct.    For two weeks.    I took the posters comment to mean who would be the back-up for the season.

By the way,   I'd like to give you a shout-out.    I thought you made one of the best observations of the night.    Not sure any media member asked Luck or asked Ballard or Irsay....

Whey didn't Luck announce he was having surgery on his leg and taking the season off and he'd be back in 2020?      I thought that was flat-out a great comment.    And I'm not sure it was even asked.    Sorry it wasn't.

I'd have asked Luck that.    And I'd have asked if the front office asked him to consider that.

Feels like there are pieces of the puzzle missing.    Hoping questions are answered in the days to come.     But mad props to you.    Yours remains a sharp mind asking the right questions....

On a night like tonight,  you were needed!

I said the same to my wife when I saw the news. 

You want to take a few months off, have surgery?  Ok.

Take a year off.  Ok.

That is the sane and sensible thing to do for someone who wants to keep playing.  Hell he could have played all year imo if he had a higher pain threshold. 

But as I have been saying all along, his heart has not been in football for a few years now.  To me he was looking for a way out for a while now, and this ankle or whatever the hell it is gave it to him.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

you never know. he could be a media guy or writer that just joined and has wisdom that most of us can only hope to have.

No, he couldn't.     Dude was one of the first giveaways.....

For you,  it was Busch league.    You know, like the beer or the stock car racing.     There are more,  but who has the time?

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

According to another post he was once a regular under a different screen name

44 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I guess I was looking for a way out when I had my friend step on my foot, fell in a locker room, knocked myself out falling over a chair, and had a teammate clip me in practice because each ended a athletic season for me

Haha. It's all about you, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I said the same to my wife when I saw the news. 

You want to take a few months off, have surgery?  Ok.

Take a year off.  Ok.

That is the sane and sensible thing to do for someone who wants to keep playing.  Hell he could have played all year imo if he had a higher pain threshold. 

But as I have been saying all along, his heart has not been in football for a few years now.  To me he was looking for a way out for a while now, and this ankle or whatever the hell it is gave it to him.

Sorry,  but I think the last few year shows the opposite is true.    Tonight,  Andrew described his life as being injured for four years straight.    His first four years he was the most hit quarterback in the game and whoever was 2nd, was a mile behind him.   And you somehow think he's a wuss who can't take the pounding.      You literally couldn't be more wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3